Best fictional religions/deities?

Green Door

Are there any religions, cults, or deities from fiction that really stuck out as being thought-provoking, well-written, or otherwise interesting?

I've enjoyed the various gods from the Warhammer games, the Gods of the Zee and Mr. Eaten from Fallen London, and the many cults and their gods from the Cthulhu Mythos, among others!

While not thought-provoking or 'well-written', I really enjoyed the 'god-esque' concept from the webtoon FLOW.

WoW 'deities' are pretty interesting as well.

Something needs to be said about the worldbuilding in the world of LotR/Silmarillion. I love the concepts of the Ainur and the Valar, who are like a pantheon of lower/minor gods and goddesses who were created by Eru Iluvatar, and the Maia who are similar to angels. The universe was created through the Music of the Ainur, but independent life could only be created by Eru, though the dwarves were interestingly created by Aule, Eru was the one to give them sapience.

Hrm. I'm going to suggest something rather different, and say Avo & Skorm from the Fable franchise. Which is slightly ironic I guess, considering neither of them actually existed as far as we know. Despite massive followings.

Followings which dwindle, but endure for at least 250 years through a rapidly technologically evolving Albion.

Not to mention that Gargoyle in various Temples of Evil really snarks you somethin' good. Sassy jerk.

The God-Emperor of 40K is pretty based, imo. He's a real human bean and he has godlike powers.

Oh, and the Forgotten Realms has some pretty good gods. I like Bhaal.

Sheogorath has to be my favorite fictional god, he's literally the madman and has a really great accent. It was interesting to see his realm in the Shivering Isles of Oblivion and seeing his eternal struggle with his other half. I guess I'm also rather attached to him because of how the one you see in Skyrim is essentially your character from Oblivion.

Back