Biowelfare: Using Biological Quirks for Good

@MisterIodine
"It's just weird being seen as a sidekick. Like, before this, I was just a student, y' know?" Shino let out a laugh, "But yeah, I'm ready!" This was her chance. She had to make sure to show her worth.

The car sped down the road, the sound of someone speaking over a megaphone became apparent. Some police were already at the entrance of the mall, trying to negotiate with the criminals until heroes could come in. As Ket brought the car to a stop, they exited the car and approached one of the deputies present.

"Hello there! Transfusion, great to see you!" The policewoman breathed a sigh of relief, "Somehow, a small group of villains has been able to lock down all the exits. We're not sure about all of their quirks, but one of them seems to have been able to integrate themselves into the malls' security system. We think that's how they've closed the exits, but we're not sure."

@Rachel Rider

"Good, we'll need you completely ready." He told her, driving down the street. They arrived at the mall. He pulled over the car, and stopped it. Ket exited the car and approached the officer. He listened to her, then nodded. "Alright, we'll see what we can do." He told the policewoman. Then, he pulled out a knife and cut his right arm. Blood started dripping out onto the ground. He looked up at Shino. "Pathogen, do you have any airborne viruses that can cause disorientation and/or temporary blindness?" He asked her, using her Hero name.

He scanned the building, looking for any vent covers on the outside. He spotted a few. Perfect. Ket looked back down at the blood dripping down onto the ground. Good, that was enough. He willed the wound to start to close itself. He then turned his concentration to his small blood puddle. He concentrated on it. Then, the blood started to come together into different shapes. They started forming shapes, and were growing. There were ten separate parts where they were growing. They grew taller, and taller, reaching the height of Ket. Then, their physical features started coming together. Muscle and flesh could be seen growing on the figures, even bone. Then, it finished, 10 replicas of Ket, all wearing the same clothes and looking exactly alike, except for the fact that they had red hair while Ket had black hair. They all stood, looking around, ready. He could make more if he needed to, but for now these ten were enough.

@MisterIodine

“I... guess that’s a possibility? But what about the citizens? And I don’t know how long it would take me to make that.” Shino felt terrible that she couldn't help immediately. One of her vials had something similar, so she grabbed it off her belt and slotted it into her mask as she took a deep breath in.

She already had an idea of what changes to make to the virus. To induce disorientation, causing some nausea with a simple fast-acting stomach bug will work. Blindness was challenging to do temporarily. What would work better would be something to induce light sensitivity. Making the germ inflame the cornea is the best way to do that, and that would best be done with bacteria to make antibiotics able to treat it once they're taken in. This also means she can work on creating a bacteriophage for it. It would take at least ten minutes for the changes to be complete.

"I'll have something working in ten minutes. What's the plan for now?" Even though Transfusion asked her too, she couldn't help but think about the citizens inside. Hopefully, she wouldn't make their day any worse then it already is. In the meantime, she had one of her basic flu-like viruses that induced aches and tiredness growing on her left hand. She would use this as a backup in hand to hand combat, as she knew it caused more severe symptoms.

@Rachel Rider

Ket looked at her. "The plan is to get you and your virus into the ventilation system and air ducts in the mall, to spread it all throughout the mall using those air ducts. Me and my clones will sneak into the mall and wait. Once the virus is released and starts spreading throughout the mall, we will spring the trap, attacking them when they're blinded. We'll need you to join in the fight, because the virus won't affect you. The virus probably won't affect me, my blood has certain properties that allow for a better immune system and stronger white blood cells, but if it does affect me it'll make fighting a lot harder for me and my clones, though it shouldn't get to me. Got it?" He told her.

He motioned her over to the vent cover. Two of his clones pried it off and carried it away. "Alright, you're up, good luck." He said.

@MisterIodine

"It won't be exactly blindness, but their eyes will very be sensitive to light." Shino couldn't help but smile, "And they'll be having the worst stomach bug of their lives." As she entered the vent cover, she motioned for them to replace it.
"I don't want anything leaking out and infecting the populous."

After that, she slowly made her way through the vents. The best place for her to release the bacteria would be in the central duct so that it could quickly spread throughout the mall. Since they didn't have much information on the ventilation system, It would have to be guesswork. The relatively small vent connected to a larger one that she felt a significant breeze flowing through it. This was her best bet.

The nausea and light sensitivity batch were ready, and she sent it to grow on her left forearm. Once it swelled to about the size of a large onion, she used one of her needles to puncture it. The pressure caused it to rapidly deflate, so that even though she couldn't see the bacteria floating through the air, Pathogen knew that it was spreading.

@Rachel Rider

The clones replaced the vent cover when she went inside. "Alright, let's get into position." Ket told his clones. They nodded and went over to a ladder that lead up to the roof. They all started climbing up it, one at a time, with Ket in the lead. He reached the top and headed over to the glass on the top. The clones followed after him. Ket opened up one of the windows, and pulled out a rappel. He attached it to a nearby outcropping, using it as an anchor point. The clones did the same thing, finding their anchor points. Ket and the clones attached their rappels, and descended down into the mall.

Ket went in first, lowering himself down. He managed to land in a well hidden spot. He unlatched the rappel from himself and starting moving through the mall. The clones landed down soon after, and unlatched themselves and also started moving through the mall. They maintained distance from each other, hiding and moving separately, to reduce the chance that they would get spotted. The criminals were in the main courtyard, with the hostages there too. A couple of clones were on the next floor, above the criminals. They all got into position, awaiting in hiding for the ambush. "Pathogen, is the virus spreading?" He quietly said into his communicator.

"Yes, and it's technically a bacteria. Anyway, I don't know exactly where in the building I am, but I seem to be in the main vent." Shino looked around nervously, wondering what she should do next. "Should I try to find a place to come out, or should I wait for you?"

Even though she was calm at first, it was starting to dawn on her how many things could go wrong. But she knew she had to trust Transfusion. He was a pro, after all.

Meanwhile, the ventilation system stealthily spread the bacteria throughout the mall. One of the criminals starts feeling his eyes start to itch.

"Hey, do I have something in my eye?" He asked one of his friends. The germ was quickly spreading through his body, as the special proteins coded into its DNA allowed it to hide easily from the immune system.

"No, you got allergies or something?" The other villain asked, not knowing that their body was also losing the battle against the disease, "Maybe you should take a break. I'm sure Calico will finish sacking the stores soon, so we shouldn't have to keep this up much longer."

As the first thug leaves to sit down, he suddenly falls to his knees, nausea hitting him in waves.

"What's wrong? Hey, what the-" Without warning, he retches, filling the air with even more bacteria. The other criminals back away in disgust, wondering what was going on.

@Rachel Rider

Ket sighed when she corrected him by saying that it was actually a bacteria. "Right, sorry, bacteria." He said. It was still basically a virus, as it is made to be invasive and cause damage. "Try to find a place to come out, quickly, I'm going to engage the hostiles." He told her. He signaled his clones to be ready. Then, he stood up, and walked over to the criminals.

"Hey guys." Ket said, making his presence known. "Having a good day?" He stood about 20 feet from the criminals. "Feeling all right? You don''t seem so good." He continued. "So look, I'm going to give you twenty seconds to reconsider and surrender before I have to beat you up." He told them. He wasn't expecting them to just give up, but it was worth a try, also it was a good distraction.

Last edited:
@MisterIodine

Finding a nearby vent cover, Shino quickly kicks it out, dropping down behind a counter of what looked to be a computer store. Unfortunately, one of the criminals was there, sacking it.

"The hell? What are you, a waste cleaner or something." The feline delinquent cackled, going to swipe at Pathogens' suit. Reflex's saved her as she dodged the girls claws, and a quick knee to the stomach knocked the air out of her opponents lungs.

"Oh! Oh, god, uh." Shino went to her radio, "Uh, I'm out, and I ran into a criminal. In a computer store." She hoped she wasn't interrupting him. Grabbing some nearby cables, she managed to tie up the hostile she took down and left her behind the counter as she went to peek out the store entrance.

@Rachel Rider

Ket listened to Shino as she told him what happened. Good, at least it was one less to deal with. The time for the criminals to surrender was up. "Alright guys, suit yourselves. I guess now I'll have to beat you up." He said.

One of the criminals laughed. "You? Beat us up? How? You're only one guy!" He said. How idiotic. The other criminals wanted to warn him, but it was too late. It was already done.

Ket smiled. "One guy, huh? Funny, are you sure you counted right?" He asked. The criminal looked confused, but then Ket's clones jumped them, attacking. The criminals were completely caught off guard by the attack of so many people. Ket jumped forward, pulling out a knife. He stabbed one in the leg, then elbowed him in the face. The criminal went down, groaning. Ket and the clones continued their rapid assault, as the criminals tried to regain their composure and fight back. Wherever Shino was, she was missing all of the fun! "We're attacking the criminals now! Were are you?" He asked her over the radio as he whacked a criminal in the face.

@MisterIodine

"Above you!" She answered. Shino had decided to make her way behind the Criminals while Ket distracted them. Once the fighting started, she jumped off the balcony to join the fight. Despite only sparring before, she was able to hold her own, taking advantage of the nausea that was overcoming most of the criminals.

Even so, she was quickly being overwhelmed. Despite her training, the criminals had some quirks that gave them an edge. One had a gigantification quirk and had knocked her to the ground. Even though he was fighting against Shino's pathogen, his immune system seemed to be winning the battle. She had to gain the upper hand, but she didn't know what to do. Ideas buzzed in her head, but she was too paralyzed to make a plan.

Back