Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Cerulean Coast

as written by ConquererMan

The figure was aware of the Elf's approach, finishing the spiral and withdrawing his alien hand into his robe a few moments before she'd found herself at his flank. Though he didn't bother to hide or explain the spiral carved into the tree. The bulk of his mass was still as she spoke, head facing straight ahead.

"A shame," he said flatly, not betraying any emotion either which way.

It wasn't until her voice shifted in volume, dropping to just a whisper, that drew his proper attention. The cowl rotated ever so slightly towards the elf. They were far enough away that they were out of ear shot, at least twenty paces up the hill and into the forest away from the group, but it was understandable the precaution she took.

"Because witches are the easiest to sway by the things that..." he replied, pausing with a grumble before continuing, "crawl in the dark." The beast was not as careful with the volume of his speech as she was.

The great mass shifted on the slope, turning to face the elf proper. "Witches are the least of the party's worries." The words hung heavily in the air, the warning bearing down on the Elf a weight unnatural.

as written by Emperor Jester

Parov would blink before his sapphire eyes found the strength to meet Erik's. "I'm fine, I suppose. Just get weird feelings now and again, especially when we're getting closer and closer to spooky stuff. Its just got me a little on edge that the itching is starting before I even step inside the woods. Can't be helped though."

Now that it was there, plastered firmly onto his face, it was doubtful that the goofy smile would be going anywhere. Once all his gear was secured, he'd do his best to catch up without leaving his conversation. "I've grown used to the darker elements that surround this land. Hell, I make most of my living off of killing those things off, but I felt like I needed a tiny break, ya know?"

The forest border would be the place he finally freed his war cleaver from it's sheath in his own pack. He refused to walk past the tree line unarmed, no matter how silly it might seem. It was there he'd also pull his goggles down over his eyes, and members of the party close enough would heard a heavily audible electric snap as the ocular equipment was turned on.
If Erik was still trying to get the Hunter's attention, he'd hold up a hand requesting silence for a moment as he called out to their guide.

"Do we have a troop order in mind? Who's in front, who guards the rear? Or is this gonna be a lot less formal until night falls?"

as written by Subtlepapaya

Erik's eyes went up and down the young man's face. Now that Parov mentioned it Erik's ears perked up and his nostrils flared. Something most certainly did lurk in those woods. Alianna stated it would be but everyone's on edge appearance only made Erik realize he was indeed unprepared. Six bullets, some bombs and only several days, two weeks tops, of blood to keep Erik normal in that particular sense of the word. Erik's face struggled to hide some livid rage but it fortunately resulted in a shoe gazing upset look.

Erik began his walk once he assumed Parov was fixing and prepping his gear. He began mumbling odd curses to himself looking like a slightly deranged homeless maniac as he started to approach the treeline.

"I've grown used to the darker elements that surround this land. Hell, I make most of my living off of killing those things off, but I felt like I needed a tiny break, ya know?" Parov exclaimed.

Erik's eyes widened. He glanced over his shoulder for a moment and gave a friendly grin, "I'm glad we have folks like you protecting us common folks!" Erik sprouted laughing, "Wouldn't know what to do with myself. Hopefully werewolves and vampires are on that list too, right? Especially after that whole debacle the vampires had with us. Can't be too careful nowadays." Erik gave a feigned jovial look to match Parov's. "I.." Erik's continued conversation ended when Parov drew out his cleaver, and began his inquiring on the formation.

Erik's eyes rolled, his mind began to wonder off elsewhere only chiming in a small phrase, "Where ever you all need me, within reason of course." His mind began to sporadically grasp at straws on just how to manage until maybe just maybe they would hit a small town. Then maybe he could...

as written by Sentry

The elf did not look at Sheggulichol. She kept her eyes on the path.

"I wonder what that could be," she told the curious figure, though she made no attempt to poke or prod further. She looked over her shoulder at the redheaded lad, and for a moment she noted how brightly he stood out among the flora. It won't matter at night, she told herself.

"The latter! Let's all just try to keep a steady pace with one another. The Coast is fairly harmless during the day, just... just a few things to worry about, like giant boar and other, various horned beasts that may prove to be a slight concern. And perhaps snakes, but it's really not the season. You know, I have heard rumors of bear sightings... and... there's been a slight concern with sirens and a rogue werewolf, ah." The elf drummed her chin with her fingers. "Hmm. What else was there..."

She popped her head up to attention and shrugged. "No matter! We'll take the jackelope by the antlers, so they say!" She marched forward, atop a small hill, and waited for them to catch up. "If you spot anything, don't hesitate to let me know."

as written by coffee

Visibly deflating, she blinked at the animancer. Mad? Were they mad? Why would the group be dubbed... she shrugged. It was his opinion and she had no business correcting him.

"Ah," she said, nodding her head understandingly. "that's okay, not everyone likes exploration! It's rather tedious!" Médée smiled at him, hoping to keep their friendly atmosphere. By his last statement, her eyes wandered towards the treeline. "It looks pretty creepy, yeah...I wouldn't either." Still, this failed to stagger her excitement.

When the group was called to attention, she looked first to Parov, then to Alianna. A formation? That would be cool, but she didn't know what her position would be... what priority did healers usually have? Watching the elf walk ahead, she followed suit. Boars, bears, sirens and werewolves, huh? This would be interesting.

as written by Script

"It's less the tedium that I'm concerned with," Zacharie noted. "I spend enough time studying to be used to that. It's more... the danger. Lutetia's wilds are bad news, to say the least. Or, that's what I've read, anyway. I guess there's no use worrying too much about it now, though."

He shook his head with a nervous smile, taking a moment to check one of the pouches at his side for the reassuring weight of its contents. It clinked slightly as he did so.

As the group settled into walking, he stepped up to draw even with Parov, offering the other young man a small smile by way of greeting. For all that the redheaded hunter's aura was wispy and faint, he seemed genuine enough. Zacharie wasn't in the business of judging people by what he read of their souls - he wasn't a skilled enough seer for that. "Ah, hi. I don't think I caught your name yet, but I've gathered you're a hunter of some sort?"

There was a pause as he considered the next question's wording. "Have you gone into these woods before, then, for your work?"

Parov was glad to hear that their eleven leader had at least some semblance of a plan. That settled a good number of the butterflies in his stomach for the time being...but not quite all of the frantic wings were silent. A fear ran through his mind. Not concerning lycans or sirens, no. A fear of the undead. A much earned and considerably healthy one.

"Yes and no," the young Hunter would start. "I've chased a few creatures around it's edges. Spent the night about a mile in once. To be honest, I usually try to avoid it."

as written by Script

"Ah," the animancer looked disappointed. "I was hoping you might be able to tell me a bit about the witches that live in the forest, from the perspective of someone ... against them, I suppose. Arianna knows a bit, but from a more impartial viewpoint."

Zacharie sighed. "Oh well. I'll manage. Thank you, anyway."

He smiled in a manner that he hoped was reassuring, having picked up on the hunter's nerves easily enough despite his mask of good cheer.

"Pray that the party does not find out," the towering figure replied in a hiss, eyes never leaving the back of the elf's head even though she failed to give him the same respect.

The cloaked monolith kept his station at the sickly, barkless tree as the procession of their troupe marched on. One by one they passed by their largest member, who in silence watched the others as they neared him. More than just mortal eyes glared down upon each one.

Once the last of his comrades had passed by his watch Sheggulichol began his own march. Heavy foot falls, muffled by the draping, thick leather of his cloak, sounded off in an arrhythmic arrangement. The shopkeeper's off-beat stride was joined by the jangling of his ornamentation as they headed up the hill and the swaying of his body sent the talismans and fetishes back and forth, clanging together.

Aside from the noise of his stride, the mysterious merchant kept his peace.

as written by Subtlepapaya

Erik's mind was still preoccupied with his own anxiety-filled thoughts that he barely realized that he was falling behind as the group left him. He perked up for a moment and quickly caught up with the group as they trailed past that looming giant. It almost looked like a kids field trip as they passed their chaperone, all of them bumbling beside one another. He gave a quick glance at the three prodding eyes reminding him of what might lurk in the forests.

He generally never had a problem with other supernaturals. He fought some others, werewolves he could usually handle, ghosts too, and animals weren't a problem. Just the others seemed capable on their own, and being surrounded by a diverse group gave Erik that edge of the seat feeling. But it was no use worrying now, he had committed and probably by the time he got back he would be fire from his night job.

Erik made sure his hushed steps outpaced the thudding behind them, and slightly made sure a few of the others were between him and Sheg-what's-his-name's. Though, now, the feelings of paranoia were beginning to subside but Erik's mind began to wander back of just how he was going to manage. Slowly, he went back to that shoe-gazing look shifting his pack every so often as he walked up the hill.

as written by Sentry

Alianna grabbed onto the straps of her backpack and peered through the thick of the forest thoughtfully. There weren't any mountains in Lornaine. It was fairly flat, but heavy in greenery. Here and there, they passed creeks and small hills. They passed a field abundant with red flowers. Alianna pulled one up and beckoned everyone close as she unveiled the thick, knotty root beneath. She cut it away from the rest of it using a small knife, and explained to them the expansive network that coiled beneath their feet. "Every flower in this field is connected," she told them. She split the base of the flower in her hand, and out spilled a pasty pink liquid. "It also produces and incredibly powerful hallucinogen used in a lot of drugs in Lutetia." She placed the flower back in the ground slowly, and before she released it, the roots it had been separated from grabbed at its comrade and pulled it away. "Not a friendly plant to farm. I wouldn't recommend it!"

Further on, back in the shade of the woods, Alianna peered at a cabin. It was dilapidated, made of heavy stone which gnashed at vines in its crannies. It ran by a deep groove in the ground. "Looks like it must have been a shallow river," she told them. She went to the other side and found a small water wheel. The elf placed a foot atop it and bore her weight onto its panels. It groaned, budged, but didn't spin.

She looked up, into the cabin, and saw nothing. Even the doorway was black as drow skin. The longer the elf stared, the more unnerved she became. "Witch mill?" she wondered aloud.

as written by coffee

When the animancer stepped away to regard the hunter, Médée glanced away as well. Spent a lot of time reading, huh? Go figure. Keeping to herself, she absentmindedly watched the rest of the group move forward; not wanting to be left behind, the medic caught up to the rest, yet kept a good foot or three- from the others.

It was only when she passed by the giant, she slowed her pace. Her eyes caught his and briefly, though a chill ran up her spine, she smiled brightly at Sheggulichol. There were definitely more than two eyes- she was sure of it now. Intrigued, but knowing to keep her distance, the healer walked near the goliath. "You aren't one for company, huh?" Médée inquired, keeping her gaze set on the elf. It was silly, she thought, to be so intimidated by someone so silent and harmless; sure, the shopkeeper was large- but appearances meant nothing! It was wrong to let fear interrupt a friendly acquaintanceship! Afterall, a doctor needed to know her patients.

Once the elf began to inspect the flora, Médée perked up. Her head rose and she watched in pure fascination. Surely, she had seen the flower before- drugs were something she knew and memorized like the back of her hand; seeing them up close- that was a different story. It was embarrassing to be so engaged, but what was a girl to do? They continued to move along and up ahead, Alianna caught sight of a cabin. Already? Another chill ran up her spine and she made the poor attempt to peer away. Instead, much like a child, she counted the stones around their path, having no say in what was to come.

Parov didn't much pay attention to anything other than their surroundings during the entire trip so far, aside from his short conversations near the start. He kept his cleaver openly in his right hand as they walked, as was his need to do so. The red headed hunter never felt more naked than he did without the magnificent blade clutched firmly in an almost dead grip.

The flowers proved a mild distraction at best, though he wouldn't say much of anything when they were brought up. Flora weren't really Parov's style, and even if they were, drugs most certainly were not. Before his accident, he'd done his best to stay in the absolute best shape possible, so narcotics and their ilk had never been addressed before on a person basis. Drinking had even been a rarity, though one which occurred more and more frequently these days. The days were hard. Sometimes unfair. Parov found himself struggling with...himself...more often than he cared to admit, and alcohol was quickly becoming the number one solution to such feelings. Hell, he'd even brought some with him, in the form of a flask in his pocket, and a bottle tucked securely in the depths of his own pack.

He had a feeling he'd need to somewhere down the road on this trip. Or maybe that was just the excuse he'd given himself.

Then, Parov heard their guide's words, "witch mill", and the young man with fiery hair would feel his hand instinctively tightening its grip on the handle of his weapon. He'd also find himself reflecting back on the brief conversation with the church boy, Zach, and wishing that he too had some experience with witches, covens, and their sorts. He'd clear his throat before asking a question he was sure was on everyone's mind (well, except maybe Sheggulichol's).

"Well, Alianna...Do you think we should check it out...?"

as written by Script

Zacharie had similarly little interest in the flowers, to the point that his expression had made clear his annoyance at the hold-up when Alianna stopped to study them. He'd known what he'd signed on for by taking the company of an expedition such as this, but delays for such frivolous reasons were annoying all the same.

Not so when they came to the cabin, however. He sensed an unnatural chill to the air as they approached, something that had the hair on the back of his neck standing on end. Through his Soulsight, he could see them. Dozens upon dozens of wispy, formless spirits, drifting around the cabin without aim. Vestigial to the extreme, there was almost nothing to them but a vague sense of malice. If they had once been true souls, now they were hollow. Empty. Barely anything more than memories of ill will.

"Be careful," he spoke up. "There are malicious spirits around. They seem weak, and relatively harmless... but their presence could indicate something more dangerous."

He bit his lip thoughtfully for a moment before going on. "But if this was the lair of a witch, I need to have a look around. There could be some clue as to where the other witches of this forest can be found, or at least some indication of what to expect from them."

The pale youth stepped hesitantly forwards to the threshold of the cabin, waiting on Alianna's response before he crossed over fully, whilst simultaneously keeping his Soulsight primed to detect any other disturbances, or any change in the behaviour of the wisps.

The shopkeeper had intended to make their trek in silence, but the small young doctor had other ideas. He kept his pace as she spoke up, though glanced in her general direction. No noise rumbled past the shadowed cowl for a minute before a low grumble rolled out.

"No," he said simply at first. He would have left it at that but her smile freely given should at least be traded for more than just a singular syllable. "I prefer the company of antiques and trinkets, they last longer." There'd be no more to pry from him for the time being.

The distraction of the flower filled clearing was clearly undesired by a few of the mountain's traveling companions. He himself was indifferent to the diversion as the elf sought to impart knowledge, one Sheggulichol the Purveyor of Perverse, Perilous, and Peculiar oddities, was familiar with. What truly caught his attention was a flower of a different sorts.

It was off in the distance, too far to pick out if one wasn't looking for it. A sickly yellow beacon among the sea of red. The three glowing eyes focused, a fourth summoned to observe the scene as the others in their band of adventurers left the giant behind, their leader content with her showcase.

The queer sight was a wilted yellow rose, twisting and gnarling in on itself. In the vicinity of the odd plant the bright red flowers of the field were wilted, withered, and nearly without color. More strangely, to those eyes not trained in the bizarre, all of the stems bent towards the singular surviving blossom.

"Iralak guls'tha amonia, Has'our," the figure muttered, to which the softly spoke words were greeted with an equally gentle breeze. This time flowing opposite the direction as on the coast.

It didn't take long for the lumbering figure to catch up to the group, jangling as his gait picked up speed. Once he was back with the rest his pace returned to normal so he could keep up his position at the rear.

The silent march was much appreciated by the towering man, though it was sadly short lived as their route neared a cabin that was begging their elven leader to explore.

Much the same way he'd stood silently, motionless in the back of the group in the field, so he took up his watch again as the elf peered into the darkness, and then the red headed man step forward only to be usurped by the pale magician as he began to divine the nature of the cabin.

Sheggulichol could feel the presence of the spirits in a way the others couldn't. Though he was clearly apathetic to this revelation shared with the group by the animancer. The only sign that his posture had changed with addition of a fifth eye peering out from his hood, though half hidden along with the forth by the overhanging fabric. His entire gaze sat squarely upon student and the precipice he was perched upon.

as written by Sentry

"You and I will go," she said to Parov. "Zacharie, I trust you to alert us if anything changes within the cabin."

She tilted her head toward the darkness and began to approach it cautiously. As soon as she took the first step, she felt queasy. She turned around and looked at her party, making sure everything was alright. She passed her eyes over Day, Parov, Zacharie, and Sheggulichol. Everything seemed right where it should have been. "Strange," she mumbled.

The elf pulled out her knife and nodded to Parov. She approached the door of the cottage and slowly, slowly, pushed her hand inside.

It disappeared.

as written by coffee

Oh, no. This was bad- this was definitely bad. This was just like the books! The leader would bravely risk her life for her team and one of the faithful members would follow then... then... they would die! The doctor couldn't let that happen! Though, then again, Médée was positive that if she acted upon her instincts, she would make the situation worse. Gnawing on her bottom lip, she stood restlessly by the group; they were all relatively anxious, yet calmer than she...

"Uhm," she broke out, glancing to Zacharie, "will they be okay?" Her attention strayed from the boy towards the two approaching the cabin. It was dangerous- it was too risky and too early in their adventure to fight! Subconsciously, she tightened her fists and a small, subtle glow began at her fingertips.

The medic began to get jittery upon catching Alianna's stare. No, this wasn't going to happen- there were too many possibilities! Even if there was nothing inside the cabin, only their imagination, it was always better safe than sorry.

Her nerve was plucked once witnessing the elf's hand disappear. Jolting forward, Médée yanked the two away from the cabin with immense fervor. "No," she said hastily, "it-it's not worth it. It would be safer if we walked past, we can't risky anything right now. We could always find other clues where the witches are hiding."

as written by Script

"I can't sense anything particularly in there," Zacharie noted. "But that doesn't mean there's nothing. There are such thing as soulless beasts, that I wouldn't be able to detect. I can send a lesser spirit to scout instead of you two. That darkness doesn't look safe at all..."

He shot a nervous glance towards Parov and then Alianna. "If the spirit can't see anything, then maybe... but I wouldn't want you to risk yourselves if I can offer an alternative."

There wasn't a question in his mind about whether or not the animancer's idea was a far more practical one, let alone safer for all parties concerned, but...he'd already come this far. Or rather, their guide had, opening the door to the foreboding hut before the Hunter could get a word in edgewise before hand. He felt his tongue click in annoyance, caught between his own morbid curiosity and his desire for self preservation.

Still, they hadn't been walking for long. They were still, relatively speaking, on the border of the grand forest as a whole. Despite the spine numbing chill running up his back, and the cold sweat just barely starting to dot his forehead, Parov knew that some bad juju might be in store for the traveling party relatively soon, and fiery young red head very much wished to avoid that if at all possible, even if the group members seemed to be the sort who could support them selves, except perhaps the doctor girl and maybe Erik.

Still...

Ignoring the cabin entirely was a terrible idea. If something was here, something foul, it wouldn't take long to chase after them once their backs were turned. Finally, he'd speak, his mouth feeling incredibly dry as his gloved fingers drummed along the length of his blade's hilt, "Wait. Don't go inside yet. I think...letting Zach do whatever he's going to try and do is the better idea. For all we know, we could be walking into some sort of trap."

The scene unfolding was a novel curiosity to the collector of the profane. The sheet of darkness that obscured the elf's hand was a simple and crude illusion compared to the masterworks of deception that Sheggulichol had had the pleasure of observing. Hiding treasure under a bushel was still hiding, even if it was simply meant to keep observant eyes from noticing the hidden gem in the first place.

The solid form of the shopkeeper however betrayed no curiosity at what was inside. He was a passive observer, and would remain as such. He'd deign entering the ramshackle abode once they knew what was inside, and if there was any possible bobbles to add to his wares.

"The forest hides many dangers, were this one of them it'd be baited with a poisonous nectar sweet to the tongue," he finally spoke up at suggestion the cottage was a trap.

Back