Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Unsure (Agnostic Kinda)

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters

Drakel

Your greedy little Jewgon!
Discuss & Debate!

Disclaimer:

This will be one thread out of a long series of threads dedicated to members discussing and debating with the intentions of solely discussing the topics talked about in each thread in a respectable and meaningful manner. Of course, like all other D&D Threads (see what I did there? :p) I do expect everyone who participates in this thread to read the D&D forum's rules and to follow them in exact. After all, we don't want any issues. Not to mention that if a debate becomes violent and more so a flame war than a meaningful debate I'll close the thread because all the joy of the discussion/debate was killed. And that'll make me and whoever else that may have wanted to join very sad. :c

Now that the disclaimer is all done. Time for the actual thread's purpose...

Religion & Religious Beliefs

One of the biggest arguments made throughout human history. One that has caused wars and bloodshed just by the sheer controversy it had. Even today the controversy creates heavy stigma, massive arguments and even bloodshed... And we're all gonna have it here in STC. ^^

This discussion will have 2 parts, one that's more personal and another that's more so talking about your thoughts on the subject in general and to spark debate. Both are optional so if you'd like to opt out of one, you're more than free to do so.

Part 1 Questions:
  1. What religious affiliation or non-religious affiliation do you identify as?

2. Does your (non)religious belief have a god(s)? Can your describe what your (non)religious belief describe said God(s)?

3. Does your beliefs have an afterlife? What do you believe happens to you when you die? Does it align with your (non)religious beliefs?

4. What other powerful, religious themed entities do you believe in? (Ghosts, Angels, Demons, ect...)
  5. Are you a practice of the religion you identify as? If non-religious are you anti-theist or militant in your beliefs?

6. How strongly do you hold your beliefs? Are you agnostic or gnostic? How come?

7. Do you think you could change your beliefs or are they truly set in stone? How come?

8. How long did you believe in your current (non)religious beliefs? Did you always believe in what you do or did you convert? Why?

9. Do any of your family members share the same beliefs as you (non)religiously?

10. Do any of your family members not share the same beliefs as you?

11. Does your family support, disapprove or not care about your current beliefs? How did they react or how did you react when you told them (if you converted)

12. Does your (non)religious belief try to convert others or demands that you convert others? Do you actively try to convert other people into your personal beliefs?

13. Does your (non)religious beliefs command you to commit violence? or has violence in any holy text (if any) that it may have? Would you consider doing such if so?

14. Do you care about the beliefs of those around you? Does it help or harm your ability to have a stable relationship? If so, how so?

15. What else can you tell us about your personal beliefs that I did not mention? Let us all know and learn about your (non)religious beliefs. ^^

Part 2 questions:
  1. What do you think of others in your (non)religious sect? What pros and Cons are there in your (non)religion's community? What about your (non)religion's fundamentalists or militants?

2. What do you think about other (non)religions? Are there any you don't like? What do you dislike most of those other beliefs? What do you like most about those other (non)religions?

3. What're your thoughts on how other (non)religions are being ran or lead? What do you like and dislike most in the other (non)religion's holy leaders?

4. How do you feel about the other (non)religion's methods in converting other people into their beliefs? Why?

5. Have you read any other (non)religion's (non)holy text(s)? What are your thoughts on them and why to you think such?

6. What do you think about the most fundamentalist or the most militant people in the other (non)religious beliefs? Why do you think such?

7. Any other thoughts you have on the other (non)religion's beliefs?

8. What do you think of organized religions as a whole? What do you praise them for and what do you criticize them for? Are they good or bad overall?

9. What do you think of the religion in general? Does it benefit people or do they do more harm than good? Why?

10. What do you think of the nonreligious in general? Is it better or good to be nonreligious in your opinion? Do they do more harm than good? Why?

11. Is there anything else you'd like to say about the topic at hand? Any extra thoughts that you have in mind related to the theme of religion?

I'm only gonna answer the first part because I'm sick of religious debates. And my family just wants me to be an obedient, good girl and shut the hell up on my thoughts. I'm an atheist in a religious Catholic family. So... yeah.

1. What religious affiliation or non-religious affiliation do you identify as? Potatoism. My own religion/ cult. Bow down on the might of the flying mashed potato! Welp, no, I'm an atheist. :D
  2. Does your (non)religious belief have a god(s)? Can your describe what your (non)religious belief describe said God(s)? By definition, I don't believe in god. That is, if you define a god as a sentient creator of the universe.
  3. Does your beliefs have an afterlife? What do you believe happens to you when you die? Does it align with your (non)religious beliefs? I believe nothing happens when you die. You just... well, deteriorate and decay as you should. I think life has more meaning this way. And it kind of feels reassuring to me to think that when we die, we go back to the nature, and be part of a greater whole.
  4. What other powerful, religious themed entities do you believe in? (Ghosts, Angels, Demons, ect...) Hmm... Auras and karma are not entities, but I believe in them kind of. Interestingly, in my experiences, they seem to hold some ground in reality.
  5. Are you a practice of the religion you identify as? If non-religious are you anti-theist or militant in your beliefs? I was anti-theist. But my fiance is a theist, and he told me we need more tolerance in this world. Otherwise, this will always just be religious and nonreligious people barking at each other until one gets pinned down. I thought that made sense, so I followed his example.
  6. How strongly do you hold your beliefs? Are you agnostic or gnostic? How come? I believe a decent person should always remain agnostic in the god issue. Humans are very faulty beings, and most of the universe still stands unknown.
  7. Do you think you could change your beliefs or are they truly set in stone? How come? They aren't set in stone. If hard evidence of a god comes to my attention, I will start believing. It doesn't mean I'll start worshipping him though. There are so much darkness in this world that he created, I'll probably just look up at him with a raised eyebrow and ask: "God? Seriously?"
  8. How long did you believe in your current (non)religious beliefs? Did you always believe in what you do or did you convert? Why? A year. I used to be a Christian like my family. Kind of. I was that one kid who was obsessed with science, and on closer inspection I realized things doesn't fit. It snowballed from there.
  9. Do any of your family members share the same beliefs as you (non)religiously? No. They abhor the idea that they have an atheist in the family.
  10. Do any of your family members not share the same beliefs as you? Uhm... Isn't that the same question?
  11. Does your family support, disapprove or not care about your current beliefs? How did they react or how did you react when you told them (if you converted). I told them on the phone, a slip of the tongue. When they found out, they immediately tried to set me 'straight'. When I got home, I had some bad grades, they immediately assumed it was because I don't seek god's guidance that things are bad for me. My mom... made me face the wall and basically trapped me in the corner of the room unless I promise that I will believe in god. As if that will change anything. She did all things like threaten to stop paying for my school, threaten to disown me, force me to come to church (which I don't really mind if only she won't watch me like a hawk and scold me if I do anything she sees as wrong), etc. My sis and dad were more tolerant. Despite all these though, I don't hate my mom. She is truly and honestly terrified that I'll go to hell if she doesn't help me. She does this because she thinks it will benefit me in the long run. This is why I don't like religion. It brings out the worst in wonderful people, ruling by exploiting our fear of the unknown.
  12. Does your (non)religious belief try to convert others or demands that you convert others? Do you actively try to convert other people into your personal beliefs? If a person is willing, I'll tell them the reasons why they should deconvert. But beliefs are personal, I've learned to respect that.
  13. Does your (non)religious beliefs command you to commit violence? or has violence in any holy text (if any) that it may have? Would you consider doing such if so? No.
  14. Do you care about the beliefs of those around you? Does it help or harm your ability to have a stable relationship? If so, how so? Honestly? No. As I said, my fiance is a theist, a buddhist, actually. Religion was hardly an issue. As long as a person isn't acting unfair towards others, I find no reason to care. I judge people by their merits and personalities. Not something as arbitrary as religious belief.
  15. What else can you tell us about your personal beliefs that I did not mention? Let us all know and learn about your (non)religious beliefs. Hmm... I'll get back to this when I think of something. :)

Part 1 Questions

1. In simple terms I'd count as an Atheist who would rank a 6.9 on Richard Dawkins Agnostic Scale.

2. The very nature of being an atheist is being without a God. So no, I don't have one.

3. Bluntly speaking? We decompose into the ground and become worm food, though this get's delayed with practices like Cyronics or donating your body to Science. More ideologically speaking?
3365-Carl-Sagan-Quote-The-cosmos-is-within-us-We-are-made-of-star-stuff.jpg

4. Myself None

5. Militant and Anti-Theism. Note that I said "Theism" and not "Theist". I don't have issues with other individuals who are religious, but I take issues with Religions themselves as a structure of beliefs. Which to cut a long story short (for now, I'm expecting later questions to bring this up) I find it's done more harm to humanity than good.

6. I adapt to the evidence that the Scientific Method has provided us, so in essence I'm Agnostic in that I'm open to being proven wrong should the proper evidence be provided. But in practice there's such little evidence to suggest that any God exists (let alone a specific religions version of God) that I can say with almost perfect certainty that there is no God.

7. Like I said in the sixth question, I adapt to the evidence. So if we were to discover new evidence suggesting something different I would first examine it over to confirm it is in fact proper evidence, and then if it were I would adapt accordingly.

8. For the first 14 years of my life I was a Casual Christian. The kind who would say God and Jesus exists, make the occasional prayer when something big was happening, but otherwise it wouldn't be a factor in my life. But then one of my Grandparents died, one who was strongly Catholic. This got me thinking about the afterlife, and made me decide I should dig deeper into Christianity, learn more about it and become a better Christian. This digging and searching then proceeded to last over the next 2 years of my life, where I started getting highly absorbed into my Christianity and becoming rather Fundamentalist and Extreme for a time. But eventually something sparked, I started notice inconsistencies, faults in reasoning, weak evidence etc. popping up whenever Religion would be debated. So by the time I was 16 I realised there really wasn't any case for their being a God, so I started calling myself Agnostic (even though Agnostic is something different from if one's religious or not), and it wasn't until I was 17 I gained the courage to just come out with being an Atheist, and I have remained an Atheist ever since (which so far, has been 5 years).

9. My Sister's an Atheist, but she also believes in a ton of supernatural stuff, mainly ghosts and spirits, so although we both lack having an actual religion we follow very different paths still when it comes to beliefs of the world, scepticism etc.

10. To my knowledge the majority of my family are still casual Christians, that being said it's never been much a talking point in the family so others may of also become Atheists and I just haven't heard of it. And then there's a small handful of family members who are Jewish, but are also casual.

11. Like I said above, it's not a topic that tends to even come up. That being said though, I used to have most of them on Facebook* where I was very open about my Atheism, so it's probably safe to assume they all know I'm an atheist. And really there's been no change in interactions between us (at least where I can pinpoint Religion as being the cause). The closest I get to any kind of reaction of Mom occasionaly proclaiming "I'll pray for you! I believe!"... But she does the same thing when it comes to Santa, so. :p
*One side eventually got removed. But it wasn't due to Religion but due to differences when it came to PC Culture, and how they were constantly trying to punish me IRL through my Mom that made me decide (after repeated attempts to get them to air their grievances to me directly) to remove them*

12. I don't ever go out of my way to make people Atheists, no. But it's not a topic that I shy away from it comes to debate either. That being said, I don't think there *is* a topic that I shy away from.

13. No, that would be called being an asshole.

14. In most cases not really, as long as the persons religious views doesn't interfere with their ability to be open-minded, and/or make them easily offended at certain jokes or styles of humour. However, when it comes to trying to find a life partner there is a concern about how a religious difference might influence how we try to raise our children, and if it would cause a conflict in the household. Cause I personally plan to raise my children to be free and critical thinkers, not to take claims at face value and to question authority, question the evidence and to dig into the matters for themselves. That could be at odds with someone who intends to sit the kids down and teach them about the glory of Jesus Christ as if it's undisputed fact.

15. I do not have a belief in any God or Religion. Anything beyond that wouldn't be due to being an Atheist but due to my Skeptical approach to matters.

Part 2 Questions

1. Well there's no real "sect" or branch specifically for me to address. But in general most atheists are just your everyday people, it's just that while most people don't believe in 2,999 Gods, they just take it one God further. However, there are the extremists, where you've got people trying to demonzie anyone's whose religious and treat it like some sort of mental illness. These people don't really seemed to of actually but much thought into the matter, and are just looking for an excuse to be ass holes towards others. And then you got groups like Atheism+ who just get's offended by EVERYTHING! But, this is more of a political issue than a (non)religious issue.

2. I'm fine with most religious people, but when it comes to Religions themselves as a set of beliefs or Ideology I dislike pretty much all of them. Mainly because I find them to be the most rampant and successful case of false information that Humanity has ever had. You've got organisations of millions (and sometimes billions) of people all united over believing something that Science has already disproved, and then using that as a platform to continually argue against Science. A belief in that one of the best sources of moral values isn't through self evaluation or looking into Psychology, but based on what one specific book says. A belief that has been used time and time again to justify great acts of violence and cruelty onto others. A belief that cause families to be divided, and people to be shunned for either a difference of opinion or who they happen to be attracted to. A belief that routinely takes time and money away from people who are often struggling the most and really need to be keeping it so that they can look after themselves. I will grant that it has contributed to some works of art, and as a refuge and a (fragile) community for some people, but those benefits can often be found other ways, and I just don't think those benefits are worth the cost.

3. I don't pay attention to the current leaders well enough to say much here. But I do appreciate it when the current Pope tries to encourage Christians to makes bridges instead of walls, and to be more accepting of your fellow man.

4. At their best they're using flawed arguments, reasoning and evidence. At their worse they're emotionally manipulative (or if you look at the VERY extreme, violent).

5. I've read a few books in the Bible during my 2 years of questioning, and I looked over some lines in the Quaran over time. I'm not a fan, at the best of times they're pushing conceptions that are outdated and unproven (or just really awkward, like a decorators guide), and at the worst of times they're calls for Crusades and Jihads.

6. I've already touched on these people throughout the other questions, so in a nutshell they are messed up individuals who are seriously damaging to society.

7. Make Praising the Sun in true Dark Souls manner an actual thing.

8. I've basically answered this in #2 already, so to skip to the overall part I think they are overall bad for society to have. The people within the religions are often good people, but the system of beliefs themselves don't hold any practical use for people and have consistently been used to slow progress or damage people's lives, most often the lives of their own believers.

9. This seems like the exact same question as #8, is there something I'm missing here? :/

10. It's the content of one's character that truly defines if one is good or not, not what religion (or lack of religion) that fall under. That being said, due to all the criticisms I've made of Religion about I do find it beneficial for people to be without a religion, and due to the independence and freedom being without one grants it does make it easier for them to grow into being a good person, but it is by no means required.

11. Not really, these questions seemed to of covered pretty much anything I could think of.[/S]

What religious affiliation or non-religious affiliation do you identify as?
The world classifies me as a Christian. I sometimes use that term to explain myself, but I mostly do not hold to that term. The reason being, my views do not align with what most people qualify as a Christian. The church has also been rather embarrassing recently, so I separate myself from that.
Does your (non)religious belief have a god(s)? Can your describe what your (non)religious belief describe said God(s)?

Yes, my religious beliefs have a god. The second sentence doesn't really make sense to me. I think you may be asking how my religion describes God. Well, a typical cliche term is Alpha & Omega. God is omnipotent, omniscience, omnipresent, omnibenevolence. That is the very short version.
Does your beliefs have an afterlife? What do you believe happens to you when you die? Does it align with your (non)religious beliefs?

Yes, my beliefs have an afterlife. I believe that I will go to heaven when I die. Yes, it aligns with my religious beliefs.
What other powerful, religious themed entities do you believe in? (Ghosts, Angels, Demons, etc...)

Angels, Demons, Archangels, Satan, Holy Spirit, etc.
Are you a practice of the religion you identify as? If non-religious are you anti-theist or militant in your beliefs?
Yes, I practice the religion as I believe it to be, straight from the Bible itself. Not how the church or popular culture portrays it to be.
How strongly do you hold your beliefs? Are you agnostic or gnostic? How come?
I hold my beliefs pretty strong.
Do you think you could change your beliefs or are they truly set in stone? How come?
If there was irrefutable evidence that would wipe out everything in the Bible as untrue, then yes, I would change them. (No, science has not proven Christianity to be untrue.)
How long did you believe in your current (non)religious beliefs? Did you always believe in what you do or did you convert? Why?
I was raised this way by my parents. As long as I could think for myself, I held these beliefs. Though the way I practiced these beliefs has recently changed with my increasing knowledge of the Bible.
Do any of your family members share the same beliefs as you (non)religiously?
Yes, my whole immediate family.
Do any of your family members not share the same beliefs as you?
Maybe distant family. None that I really know personally.
Does your family support, disapprove or not care about your current beliefs? How did they react or how did you react when you told them (if you converted)?
Not Applicable.
Does your (non)religious belief try to convert others or demands that you convert others? Do you actively try to convert other people into your personal beliefs?
Yes, Christians are commanded to spread the word of God. However, most in First world countries already know the word of God. They have made their decision either way. I will not force it down someone's throat. If they ask, I will share, but otherwise, I just let my outward actions spread the love.
Does your (non)religious beliefs command you to commit violence? or has violence in any holy text (if any) that it may have? Would you consider doing such if so?
The bible does not command us to commit violence directly. In the old testament, followers committed violent acts for God. The opinion on this may differ with such things as, "an eye for an eye."
Do you care about the beliefs of those around you? Does it help or harm your ability to have a stable relationship? If so, how so?
I do not care about the beliefs of those I befriend. However, I care about how those who claim to be a Chrisitan act in the world. To many are not properly taught and spread hate instead of love.
What else can you tell us about your personal beliefs that I did not mention? Let us all know and learn about your (non)religious beliefs. ^^
If you have a question about Christianity (Love based Christianity) then just ask. I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

Part 2 questions:
What do you think of others in your (non)religious sect? What pros and Cons are there in your (non)religion's community? What about your (non)religion's fundamentalists or militants?
The church has done a very poor job of educating its followers. This isn't entirely down to the church, as it is also down to the meddling of the government and society. Churches are not allowed to preach on political issues by law, but with so many things becoming political, it is almost impossible to properly teach followers the RIGHT way to go about things. Gay Marriage is one thing the church failed horribly on. The current immigration/refugee crisis is another issue that the church is failing its followers on. There are also many other things. If you have a question about it or would like to know how the Bible says we should act, then just ask I can give you information.
What do you think about other (non)religions? Are there any you don't like? What do you dislike most of those other beliefs? What do you like most about those other (non)religions?
Other religions do not bother me. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs as long as those beliefs don't infringe on the human rights of others. No, I have no problem with Islam.
What're your thoughts on how other (non)religions are being ran or lead? What do you like and dislike most in the other (non)religion's holy leaders?
The religion of Islam is not being led well. Islamic countries leaders are brainwashing the citizens into hating specific countries for their own political name, using the name of Islam. Differents ethnic groups are killing each other. So forth and so on.
How do you feel about the other (non)religion's methods in converting other people into their beliefs? Why?
I don't have a problem with it. Except for the brutal ways you hear about some religions forcing people to convert. In fact, I enjoy listening to people try to convert me. Their beliefs are always interesting to me.
Have you read any other (non)religion's (non)holy text(s)? What are your thoughts on them and why to you think such?
I have read a bit of the Quran, as well as had a class or 2 about other worldviews. (Including Islam)
What do you think about the most fundamentalist or the most militant people in the other (non)religious beliefs? Why do you think such?
If you think you must violate human rights in the name of your religion, you are doing it wrong.
Any other thoughts you have on the other (non)religion's beliefs?
Not really. I can't be arsed to type more.
What do you think of organized religions as a whole? What do you praise them for and what do you criticize them for? Are they good or bad overall?
The main problem with Christianity is the fact that it has no main (human) leader to properly educate the followers. This allows so many different views to float about. Some of which are hate based and give Christians a bad name. On the flip side, a corrupt person in such a position could effectively do much worse by making git a religion of hate.
What do you think of the religion in general? Does it benefit people or do they do more harm than good? Why?
It really depends on the person and what they have been taught. A proper Christian will benefit. People such as the Westboro Church, well they are fucked living with hate their whole life just to be judged by God in heaven eventually as well. Yes, I swore. Show me where in the Bible it says I can't.
What do you think of the nonreligious in general? Is it better or good to be nonreligious in your opinion? Do they do more harm than good? Why?
Doesn't matter to me. If they are good people, then it is alright. If they just try to attack the religious to tear them down, then well they are essentially scum and fucked anyway.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the topic at hand? Any extra thoughts that you have in mind related to the theme of religion?
I have a minor in Biblical studies and have extensive knowledge of the topic. If you have any questions about something, I would be happy to help.

I'm only doin' this because it's you, mate.

What religious affiliation or non-religious affiliation do you identify as?
Atheist.
Does your (non)religious belief have a god(s)? Can your describe what your (non)religious belief describe said God(s)?
No.
Does your beliefs have an afterlife? What do you believe happens to you when you die? Does it align with your (non)religious beliefs?
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." -Jack London, Jack London's Tales of Adventure.
What other powerful, religious themed entities do you believe in? (Ghosts, Angels, Demons, ect...)
None. If it is not yet explicable, it shall be in sufficient time. The supernatural hides where the eyes of science have yet to peer.
Are you a practice of the religion you identify as? If non-religious are you anti-theist or militant in your beliefs?
Anti-theistic or militant in the sense that I would actively engage in protesting (and even fighting, if the necessity arose) against a religious-based threat to my personhood, or the personhood of others. Otherwise, I could care less. It matters less what you believe, and it matters entirely on what you do in the name of your belief.
How strongly do you hold your beliefs? Are you agnostic or gnostic? How come?
On a scale of 1-10 for certainty I would say that I'm a 9? It is difficult to quantify this question. I am technically agnostic as I have to take the logical position of being willing to admit that I cannot know, but it is by its very nature an unknowable, and therefore, within the constraints of the knowable, I do not believe. Short of a reality-shattering event, I think I shall never believe.
Do you think you could change your beliefs or are they truly set in stone? How come?
Answered this above.
How long did you believe in your current (non)religious beliefs? Did you always believe in what you do or did you convert? Why?
I always had my doubts as a child, in spite of my mother's attempts to push me into believing. I never understood how a big man in the sky made everything from nothing, and made the whole universe just for people. It didn't seem right. It never settled with me. I never had a concrete answer on that--not from the priest, not from my mother. Eventually I stumbled upon atheism, and started to identify that way. After I learned more about it from watching the likes of Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins, I found their arguments far more compelling than anything I had ever received from the church.

I'd say prior to the age of 13, I was a Christian in name only. After the age of 13, I was an atheist, and that position has never changed.
Do any of your family members share the same beliefs as you (non)religiously?
No.
Do any of your family members not share the same beliefs as you?
Yes.
Does your family support, disapprove or not care about your current beliefs? How did they react or how did you react when you told them (if you converted)
Two disapprove, the rest don't care. When it came out that I was an atheist, it was in casual conversation, and nobody cared then. Not outwardly, anyway.
Does your (non)religious belief try to convert others or demands that you convert others? Do you actively try to convert other people into your personal beliefs?
No, and no.
Does your (non)religious beliefs command you to commit violence? or has violence in any holy text (if any) that it may have? Would you consider doing such if so?
No.
Do you care about the beliefs of those around you? Does it help or harm your ability to have a stable relationship? If so, how so?
I care only insofar as they care about it. If I end up in a relationship with someone who has religious beliefs, I respect their beliefs insofar as I respect them, and want to be part of their life. I will never convert, but if I really care about them, I'll respect them sufficiently entwine their life with my own--and if that means participating in some religious activities that make them happy? Then so be it.

I don't think it's done any serious harm in trying to have a stable relationship. The people who are so fanatical about their beliefs that they would never date a heathen tend to weed themselves out, rather quickly.
What else can you tell us about your personal beliefs that I did not mention? Let us all know and learn about your (non)religious beliefs. ^^
My beliefs are my own. I don't force others to adopt them or learn about them--I'll talk about them in casual conversation, from time to time, but that's the extent of it. Your beliefs should help shape your life, not others. That's the extent of what I have to say.

Part 2.

What do you think of others in your (non)religious sect? What pros and Cons are there in your (non)religion's community? What about your (non)religion's fundamentalists or militants?
They're a diverse and incoherent lot. Most of the "communities" around my beliefs tend to have an adoration for science, so I like them. The worst things the "fundies" of my "community" do is spout hateful backwards rhetoric, or mock and deride the religious. I disagree with some of their principles, but don't find myself considering them a threat anywhere on par to, say, people who run gay therapy camps, or who blow themselves up in the hopes of seeing seventy two virgins.

Cuz', y'know. When was the last time you heard of Achmed the Atheist Terrorist?
What do you think about other (non)religions? Are there any you don't like? What do you dislike most of those other beliefs? What do you like most about those other (non)religions?
They're all varying shades of faith castles, built on foundations of pretty words. Security blankets that make people feel better about the vast uncertainty of the universe, and how small they are in it. That being said, I am an outsider looking in--I've never been a man of faith, and I doubt I ever will be.

There are many men of faith who are inspired to do good and kind things in this world. I go to university with Muslims, and work with Christians at my job. The most wonderful gal I ever dated in my life is a Catholic. Whatever I think of a person's beliefs, whatever criticisms I may have about them, I reserve and keep quiet in most settings. I would much rather get to know the person and know what compels them in life, what they think is good and evil, what they care about. Your beliefs may justify actions, but your actions are what really matter at the end of the day. The religions themselves are almost meaningless to me beyond historical contexts, it's the individuals who matter to me--so I suppose I can't really answer this question with anything other than a repetitious non-answer.
What're your thoughts on how other (non)religions are being ran or lead? What do you like and dislike most in the other (non)religion's holy leaders?
I could care less about them. They only have as much power as people choose to imbue in them.

Although if the Pope would stop playing the legal game of "shuffle your kiddie fondlers between countries so they don't get caught", I'd appreciate that. Y'know?
How do you feel about the other (non)religion's methods in converting other people into their beliefs? Why?
So long as they don't use violence and aren't intentionally indoctrinating children into hate cults? I could care less. Families pass down their beliefs, religious or not--you can't control that, don't even try.
Have you read any other (non)religion's (non)holy text(s)? What are your thoughts on them and why to you think such?
I've read the Bible, twice, cover to cover. I've been meaning to get my hands on a Quran to read at some point in my life. In terms of the Bible? It's a pretty book filled with many beautiful stories that have shaped Western society in some pretty important ways. I can reference Christian iconography or Biblical verses in my stories and the feelings it conjures are near instant and near universal across the Western World.
What do you think about the most fundamentalist or the most militant people in the other (non)religious beliefs? Why do you think such?
They exist as they always have, but overall, they've been on the decline over the past couple centuries, though especially in the last century. Generally speaking? Access to greater standards of living, education, an effective (and relatively fair) system of law and order, a not-shit economy, stable access to jobs for the majority of the population, decent enough wages to allow for upward mobility, extensive and well enforced human rights... You get the picture. When people have what they need, they're far less likely to accept an ideology of murder to get what they want. Even if they do believe in a bearded man in the sky who cares about whether or not they masturbate, or eat shellfish.
Any other thoughts you have on the other (non)religion's beliefs?
No.
What do you think of organized religions as a whole? What do you praise them for and what do you criticize them for? Are they good or bad overall?
Generally more negative than positive, as they usually exert authority over people's lives, and most organized religions are rather incredibly authoritarian in structure. You'll find when it comes to the greatest travesties of religion, the ones who murder others to the sound of trumpets and hounds are the ones who march to the thousands by command of a man wearing a funny hat.
What do you think of the religion in general? Does it benefit people or do they do more harm than good? Why?
You do not want my honest answer to this question.
What do you think of the nonreligious in general? Is it better or good to be nonreligious in your opinion? Do they do more harm than good? Why?
Not necessarily superior. The ones that let their non-religious status dominate their life, and who devalue others on an individual basis merely for having a religious belief? They are made of the very sins they accuse the religious of having. That being said, I have yet to hear of an atheist shoe bomber.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the topic at hand? Any extra thoughts that you have in mind related to the theme of religion?

And the words fall upon deaf ears, as they always do, save for the few brave enough to try and take a lantern with them, and shine it upon the wall of life... To see it for all its beauty, and all its flaws, and the many mysteries that lie just beyond the reach of their flame.

I have little time to sit and answer this in depth, or to take a page from the prompted questions provided, but I will say that I am Christian. Yet, I’m not a churchgoer, I’ve only skimmed the bible albeit owning several, and I don’t really pray that much. At the same time, yes, I believe in God, Jesus, angels, demons, Lucifer, etc. However, I don’t let that rule my life or feel that I have to try and live by a particular standard in order to save myself. It has always been my belief that I should do right by me, and follow my own moral code. Everyone makes mistakes, and I don’t find that it makes me a bad person to admit that. Of course, I draw the line in doing anything that intentionally hurts someone else, such as murder, rape, etc. I’ve always felt that warrants enough that I am upholding my “Christian duty.”

Now, I don’t force my religion on anyone else, nor do I take kindly to anyone else doing the same. Ironically, I remember just sending away some religious folks from my door rather rudely just a few months back because of their constant pestering/pressuring. People are free to believe what they wish, and it pains me to see that people let that get in the way of friendships as well as their goals in life. I respect a person’s right to choose, and I truly believe that is something “my God” would expect from me.

Religion has never held me back from love interests or doing anything for that matter because it isn’t even a factor in my decision making. Nonetheless, anyone who tries to openly attack my faith for no reason is normally not someone I tend to befriend. If people can find a way to approach a subject in a logical, sincere way, however, it is something I am more than willing to debate in order to gauge another’s perspective. One thing I’d like to make clear, though, based on a question I just noticed is that, yes, my beliefs are set in stone and I have no intentions on ever converting. At the end of the day, I just want to live my life by me, and not let these sorts of things bother me because I don't think we should be defined by our religious beliefs. A good deed is a good deed, regardless of where or who it comes from - and that is all that really matters.

~M

I believe in god. My christian denomination is batist. I grew up knowing god and i won't stop ever. :)

Part 1 Questions:

2. Does your (non)religious belief have a god(s)? Can your describe what your (non)religious belief describe said God(s)?

3. Does your beliefs have an afterlife? What do you believe happens to you when you die? Does it align with your (non)religious beliefs?

4. What other powerful, religious themed entities do you believe in? (Ghosts, Angels, Demons, ect...)
  5. Are you a practice of the religion you identify as? If non-religious are you anti-theist or militant in your beliefs?

6. How strongly do you hold your beliefs? Are you agnostic or gnostic? How come?

7. Do you think you could change your beliefs or are they truly set in stone? How come?

8. How long did you believe in your current (non)religious beliefs? Did you always believe in what you do or did you convert? Why?

9. Do any of your family members share the same beliefs as you (non)religiously?

11. Does your family support, disapprove or not care about your current beliefs? How did they react or how did you react when you told them (if you converted)

12. Does your (non)religious belief try to convert others or demands that you convert others? Do you actively try to convert other people into your personal beliefs?

13. Does your (non)religious beliefs command you to commit violence? or has violence in any holy text (if any) that it may have? Would you consider doing such if so?

14. Do you care about the beliefs of those around you? Does it help or harm your ability to have a stable relationship? If so, how so?

15. What else can you tell us about your personal beliefs that I did not mention? Let us all know and learn about your (non)religious beliefs. ^^

Part 2 questions:
  1. What do you think of others in your (non)religious sect? What pros and Cons are there in your (non)religion's community? What about your (non)religion's fundamentalists or militants?

2. What do you think about other (non)religions? Are there any you don't like? What do you dislike most of those other beliefs? What do you like most about those other (non)religions?

3. What're your thoughts on how other (non)religions are being ran or lead? What do you like and dislike most in the other (non)religion's holy leaders?

4. How do you feel about the other (non)religion's methods in converting other people into their beliefs? Why?

5. Have you read any other (non)religion's (non)holy text(s)? What are your thoughts on them and why to you think such?

6. What do you think about the most fundamentalist or the most militant people in the other (non)religious beliefs? Why do you think such?

7. Any other thoughts you have on the other (non)religion's beliefs?

8. What do you think of organized religions as a whole? What do you praise them for and what do you criticize them for? Are they good or bad overall?

9. What do you think of the religion in general? Does it benefit people or do they do more harm than good? Why?

10. What do you think of the nonreligious in general? Is it better or good to be nonreligious in your opinion? Do they do more harm than good? Why?

11. Is there anything else you'd like to say about the topic at hand? Any extra thoughts that you have in mind related to the theme of religion?

1) Spiritual Satanist.
2) Not realy. In Spiritual Satanism, there is no such thing as a "god". Satan/Lucifer and his Demons are there just to guide and advise us, the goal is for each of us to ascend to god-hood ourselvs.
3) Yes, but not in a common sense. We belive we wil be re-incarnated into this world.
4) Enki (Satan/Lucifer), and the Nephilim (original pagan god-like beings, later named Demons).
5) I am a practitioner, yes. Daily power meditations, and weekly astral communing vith my guardian Demon (who I wil not name here).
6) Pretty strongly. They given me strength and motivation to defeat and overcome some nasty shit in my life.
7) Set in stone. As a kid, I used to be forced to attend church and all that shit, but once I started thinking for my-self, I culd see vhat a big lie it all is. Spiritual Satanism is for me, the only religion vith tangible benefits. And one that does not repress women, vhats more. Being a feminist, that is only a plus.
8 ) About 15 years. Used to be a good litle naive Xian girl, until I wised up and started realizing my potential.
9) No. And I dont care that they dont. Thankfuly, I got away from my family (vhats left of it) long ago.
10) Yes, all of them.
11) They disaproved vehemently. Vhich just maked me more determined to pursue what I belive.
12) Never. In fact, prosletyzing is a mainstream religion thing, Satanism strongly discourages it. And even if not, after my compulzory Xian-indoctrination as a kid, I wuldnt want that kind of in-the-face shoving on anyone.
13) Only in self-defense, or to protect ones I care about. Satanism is about self-suficiency.
14) I try to balance it out. I wil not associate vith anyone too deeply in-to any mainstream religion, since Satanism considers them false, and damaging to humanity. But if they are just a passing folower, or if they are atheist, absolutly.
15) Personal beliefs? Dont take shit from anyone, don't be afected by other peoples opinions of you, and pursue your own dreams. Be your own person. Respond to kindness vith kindness, to frendship vith frendship, to hostility vith hostility, to violence vith violence.

1) No such thing as a comunity. We'r more like a loosely-based coven. Some of us are more involved in it, some less, but we all share the basic beliefs.
2) I belive I answered that...
3) Oh boy... lets not even go there, because I culd write a fucking book, on how Xian and Muslim religius leaders abuse there power. Not that I need to, much of it is comon knowledge. Sufice it to say I *loathe* how they are ran.
4) Pushy and in-the-face. They need to force people to accept it, because its all fake and invented. Enogh sayed.
5) I read enogh to be disgusted. Basic tactics - know ur enemy, so you know how to beat them, if needed. From the Bible, Quran, and Talmud. Its all right there... sacrifices, bloodleting, superiority-complex, constant wars in the name of "god", eradication of "infidels", etc. etc. etc.
6) Brainwashed, indoctrinated idiots. Like those muslim terorists who blow themselvs up in the name of "allah".
Do they actualy belive there going to end up in heaven with 70 virgins for that? Makes me fucking laugh.
Stil, I have to respect there determination. Belief in something is a powerful motivational tool, even if that something is total bullshit. Or moronic european women who get seduced to actualy TRAVEL there to join that misogynistic insanity? Then after a couple years, they start whining that they want out, but the jihadis wont let them. Wel vhat the FUCK wer they thinking? That it vas a honey-paradise over there?! Boggles the mind. I feel no simpathy for them. They chose there path, and there is no cure for stupid.
7) No... that prety much sums it up.
8 ) See 2.
9) Depends on vhich religion. All mainstream religions are a load of crap (some more then others), invented to keep the masses subservient, weak and docile, for the benefit of the elite. They are devoid of real spirituality.
10) Being non-religius is way better then being a folower of any of the mainstream religions. They definitly do more harm then good, on a massive scale. I'm glad to see the world today is moving away from them.
11) Nothing comes to mind, I belive the questioner vas thorough on the topic.

Part 1 Questions:
    Answer : The world and I identify me as a secular Buddhist, but I also believe in parts of Taoism, Ancestral Worship, Christianity and Falun Gong as well.

And it's probably strange for most of you folks, but I believe in some sort of paganism and adoration about the Prussian/German Iron Cross and the Kuomintang as well.

I worship my ancestors and numerous other lesser deities too.

But I have five big idols in my mind :
    • Friedrich the Great (Friedrich II of Prussia)
    • Chiang Kai-shek
    • Ts'ang Chieh
    • Lim Lean Geok
    • Dato Onn' Ja'afar

Answer : Yes.

First and foremost, there has to be a Supreme Being who created and designed everything in this vast universe, and made sure things run smoothly. That Supreme Being is none other than God.

And then there are ecclesiastical figures, godly-blessed people and moral teachers like Huangti, Confucius, Buddha, Jesus, Li Hongzhi, etc.

In my belief, mortals can be elevated to lesser godhoods if they accomplished notable great deeds in life. An example would be Kuan Kong, seemingly ascended to godhood after his death and is still frequently seen in altars and temples. Apparently there are some temples and altars for Chiang Kai-shek and Karpal Singh too,

And I believe that, many great noble individuals in world history (Chiang Kai-shek, Friedrich II the Great, Ts'ang Chieh, Lim Lean Gook, etc.) were actually sent from the heavens to perform great duties in this mortal realm. They may be elevated to a status of lesser godhood after all great deeds they've did to humanity and the world.

Yes, definitely. Life does not simply fade for good after bodily deaths. Our spirits still lives on even after death, they are immortal. And I believe in karma and reincarnations too.

When we do good, we will receive good in return, whether directly or indirectly. But when we do evil, we shall feel the harm of our evil later on. Think about it, why do some people born in rich and happy families while others were born in a miserable condition? Why do some people always support us, while there are also people who hates us for no reasons? That's all because of karma. God is a fair and loving Supreme Being, He wouldn't let people suffer for no reason, there must be a reason why some people are in unfavorable conditions.

The wealth, the fame, the fun and the success we all enjoy are actually from a white substance known as the "Te" or "De" (). Te is earned by doing good deeds or by tolerating sufferings. On the other hand, our sufferings and illnesses are caused by a black substance called the "Ye" (). Ye is caused if we sin or do unnecessary harm to others. The lack of Te will cause us to suffer more in life, while complete deficiency of Te will completely annihilate our souls.

Death is more like a process of transformation, like in a Bible verse it says that a seed couldn't grow into a tree unless it dies by going to the earth and spurting into a tree.

Well, unless one is too evil, and if that's the case, one's soul might end up in the Abyss for eternity or worse, get their souls completely annihilated.

Answer : Angels, Demons, Archangels, Archdemons, Lamas, Lesser Deities, Reptilians

Answer : Partly. I mostly believe in the teachings and principles of Buddhism and Falun Gong, and somewhat also Christianity too.

I'm more of a secularist. I try to do good deeds and spread the words of my religious beliefs, but I'm afraid that I can't follow "Truthfulness, Compassion and Forbearance" (真、善、忍) and other behavioral teachings completely.

I am fully aware that I am a sinner, always sinning. I tell false lies just to escape a shitty situation or to manipulate the situation, though I try my best to be honest. I'm not a saint who simply loves every single person in the world. And I'm really shitty at Forbearance either, I often find myself in a bad temper or anxiety.

I sometimes hold evil thoughts and think of doing evil, then evil voices are speaking nonsense in my head too, but I am mostly a good guy. I try to be as nice and compassionate as possible, but I tend to believe in vengeance. I still have my moral standards too, even evil has standards. I wouldn't harm innocents for no reason, but for evil people I can pay evil unto evil, an eye for an eye.

Answer : Not that strong, really.
    But unless one believes in pure materialism and greed, then I feel the urge to debate with that person.

Answer : I don't know, to be honest. The most fundamental beliefs of mine are set in stone, but the other lesser beliefs may be subject to change as time goes.

Answer : I was once an atheist, but some miracles I personally seen and news of other people changed me into my current beliefs. Also through logic and reasoning, I see that nobody is condemning the Epoch Times or Falun Dafa other than the Commies.

Answer : As far as I know, none of them. They only share some parts of my beliefs, mainly on the matter of ancestral worship.

Answer : A lot of my family members. Some are atheists and some are "stubborn" fundamentalists.

Answer : They do not care.

Answer : Well, yes to an extent. I will try to tell others a bit about my beliefs from time to time, but if they insist, it's their choice. As the saying goes, "Jeder soll nach seiner Façon selig werden." ("Let everyone find salvation according to his own beliefs.")

I'm fine with whatever the other people believe, as long as it's not atheism and materialism.

Answer : Avoid violence against innocents and good people.
    But violence for the sake of justice and defense is justified, and sometimes necessary.

Answer : Yes, because I'm a curious guy ^^ :p
    And no, it won't harm my socialization. I still make friends and talk with others as usual,

I'd just ask them in the middle of a conversation after having getting to know them for awhile.

Part 2 questions:

Answer : Depending on their beliefs, I might analyze their beliefs within my own mind and come up with a conclusion.

And no, I don't support fundamentalists or militants.

Answer : Atheism. Materialism. Communism.

a) Denying and ridiculing the possibility of a Supreme Being designing, creating and executing all of existence.
    b) Tends to make people afraid of death.
    c) Tends to corrupt the morality of people,
    d) Likely to induce violence, incite hatred and encourage selfishness.

About the figureheads, I don't really know. Depends on their personalities, maybe?

Answer : As long as it's not forced, I'm fine with that.

Answer : Yes. They do give me insights and also let me see things from other perspectives.

Answer : If one uses violence on innocent people to forcibly convert people to their religions, it's horrible and wicked. Everyone should have rights to find salvation according to his or her own beliefs. Unless if I'm talking about Racism, Sexism, Communism, Nazism, Atheism and Materialism; as those ideas couldn't be acceptable to me.

7. What do you think of organized religions as a whole? What do you praise them for and what do you criticize them for? Are they good or bad overall?

I don't think that organized religions are good, it would be better if everyone keep to himself.
    But I don't have much of a problem with organized religions as long as they do no harm. But sometimes it can be good to, as it encourages communication between believers.

8. What do you think of the religion in general? Does it benefit people or do they do more harm than good? Why?

Good. Unless we talk about hatred-based, bigotry-based cults, that is another story.

9. What do you think of the nonreligious in general? Is it better or good to be nonreligious in your opinion? Do they do more harm than good? Why?

I'd say that Atheists and Materialists are quite lonely and pitiful. They don't have spiritual powers to guide and accompany them in their lives, they are empty and void inside, and they are really worried about their deaths.

Also Atheism and Materialism might lead to greed and hedonism.

Part 1 Questions:
  1. Atheist

2. No god (s).

3. No afterlife. I think death is the end of it. It aligns with atheism.
  4. I am anti-theist. I am not militant although I have discussed my beliefs at lenght and debated too. I am not interested in such debates anymore because nothing new comes out of them.

5. I hold my beliefs quite strongly.

6. I am open to changing my beliefs but I doubt it will happen. The evidence is not forthcoming.

7. I have been an atheist for as long as I remember.

8. I am the only atheist in my whole family.

1. Nobody in my family cares that I am an atheist. They sometimes ask my opinion on religious matters but that is it.

2. Technically no. I am not required to change anyones mind. It may be the moral thing to do, within reason, but I don't care to do so.

3. Being an atheist doesn't require anything of me and we have no scriptures.

4. I never ask people about their beliefs. Most people dicover that I am atheist by accident. Most people have no idea yet. I don't care what others believe so far as it doesn't affect me.

Part 2 questions:
  1. I am not a part of any atheist community, and I give very little thought about other peoples beliefs.

2. There aren't any religions that I like. I dislike all of them to different degrees. I mostly hate the way it makes people think and behave.

3. You can't run a religion.

4. I don't mind people trying to convert me. It most often than not lead to discussions about phylosophy and what not. Some people are willingly dishonest and trick people into believing, but those are just con artists who do it for money and I can't pin it on religion.

5. I have read the Bible and the Qur'an, and I think they were the most boring books I have ever read in my life.

6. Fundamentalist will inevitably look like iron age people to everyone, including other religious people.

7. No

8. They are usually morally corrupt so I don't really hold them in high regards.

9. I think religion is in the way of humanity's survival and progress.

10. Non religious people tend to do more good than bad. I don't know that that is statistically relevant though, and I don't care. It doesn't change the fact that, even if they were evil, I would still be atheist.

11. I just wanna ask what is this for? A school project or something along those lines?

I'm a Baptist Christian and can get opinionated but I don't like to get self righteous or judgmental either...I believe it's the truth but lording it over people or being condemning never is helpful and just makes people hate you.

It's a late reply but I love the topic, and I'm down to share my thoughts on religious beliefs. So here's the lowdown on my stance:
I identify as non-religious, no specific affiliation.
Nah, no gods in my belief system. It's more about the here and now.
No afterlife for me. When I kick the bucket, it's lights out, my friend.
As for powerful entities, I'm open-minded. Ghosts, angels, demons—could be, could be not.
Not a practitioner, and definitely not anti-theist or militant. Live and let live, ya know?

Back