Dark Seas (1x1)

Letting out a breath, Emma relaxed. That was one less thing to worry about.

There was so much to running a ship that she wasn't sure about; their father hadn't had enough time to teach them everything. Silver was staying, though, and she was grateful for him as well. A part of her did wonder, though, about his comment that there was nowhere else for him and she filed that away in the back of her mind to worry about later. A lot of pirates had things they were escaping from and she supposed that was really none of her business.

Once Elliot was bandaged and ready to go, Emma led the way out of the doctor's room and took a second to breathe. What next? They had stripped the ship above, Elliot had seen the doctor. It was time to set sail, "Are you going to be okay steering the ship?" Her sister had a better hand with the wheel than Emma did.

Elliot grinned, "of course I'll be okay steering the ship."

They walked up the stairs together and Elliot found her place behind the wheel, gripping onto the wheel that their father had been holding onto mere hours before. She looked at the wheel somberly, but life at sea was a fast life and they'd had their time to mourn. If they stayed there any longer more navy ships were probably going to show up, and that was the last thing they needed.

"Full sails ahead, lads; onward to Tortuga!" A known safe haven for pirates, Tortuga would probably be their best bet in finding crew.

The sun was starting to sink below the horizon by the time they were docking at Tortuga and a bar fight could already be seen spilling out of a tavern. Good thing there was more than one tavern on the island. "Who should we bring along?" Elliot asked her sister, who had been by her side the whole journey just in case her injuries required her to take a break. "I'm thinking Silver should stay here with the ship, who knows how much the rest of the pirates respect us. They might see fit to leave with our ship."

Both girls hesitated before Elliot took the wheel but once she ship was in her hands, they were all business.

Emma stayed nearby, probably unnecessarily so, to keep an eye on her sister. Between Silver and their quarter master she had little instructions to give and the way to tortuga was clear with only some mild weather patterns. She nodded in affirmation. Keeping Silver on the ship was their best bet. He'd been the one, after all, to offer the girls both the captain's hat. It was symbolic as their father had a head much larger than either of those, but all the same he was trust worthy.

He tried to persuade the girls to go with him, but eventually it was Emma who said that he was their most trusted advisor and friend at this moment so he, and a few others whom he said he trusted, stayed behind and a majority of their remaining crew went off to drink and whore. The rest stayed with the twins, offering spots where they knew able crew members would be. Emma kept a hand on her sword and assessed her sister. She was tired, certainly, and still injured, but she didn't doubt that Elliot would be able to hold their own if they needed to prove themselves. "Alright, let's go."

It was not their first time in Tortuga, as their father had brought The Secret this way many a time, but it was the first time with the girls in charge.

As the anchor was dropped into the sea, Elliot leaned against the wheel, listening to Emma as she explained to Silver why they wanted him to remain on board. Arthur wanted to come along, probably to keep an eye on them. They hadn't been to Tortuga in a couple years and it was quite possible that they were walking into a place full of strangers.

She noticed Emma looking over her, "I'm fine, Emma, just a little sore." Elliot gave her a sheepish grin, moving off of the wheel to follow Emma down to the main deck. She let her sister take charge of the excursion, smiling slightly as she told the crew who needed to stay and who could go. There was a brief moment that Elliot wondered whether or not she should stay behind on the ship, her body really was aching, but she decided against it. Maybe being around rowdy pirates would get enough adrenaline pumping through her that she wouldn't feel it anymore.

They made their way off the ship, Jim Morrison following them close behind. He'd grown into quite the pirate after the day they helped him out all those years ago, and while they certainly trusted him enough to leave him behind on the ship, they'd prefer him to be by their side and he preferred to be by theirs.

"Where to first?'

The young pirate loved the sea and the waves, but it had been a time since their last landfall and when Emma's feet planted firmly on the docks, she took a breath. It was always good for pirates to get a few days on land, to get their bearings. She considered their hardly developed plan and the island before them, "We could split up. You go to the inn and see if anyone staying there is looking to join a crew and I can go to the tavern for the same.

At least at the inn, the pirates were bound to be less rowdy although that wasn't the only reason for sending Elliot there (Emma had no doubts that her sister could handle herself). "We meet back in an hour... or we stay together and go to the tavern first, and then the inn?" In her head she was mentally ticking off a list of the crew they would need to be replacing, for what particular jobs.

"It would be easier to split up, I think. I'm taking Jim with me, though, if you don't mind," she gestured to the man standing behind her with her thumb. While she could certainly prove herself with her sword if need be, she was painfully aware of the bandages that wrapped around her body and she felt quite a bit more vulnerable than she normally did.

"We'll meet you back in an hour," Elliot patted Emma's shoulder and then started down the dock, Jim close behind her. The inn wasn't too far, one of the first buildings once they stepped off the docks. Jim stepped in front of her to hold open the hefty wooden door and Elliot snorted, how gentlemanly.

The inn had it's own bar, but it certainly wasn't as rowdy as a proper tavern. Inside, there were a few older pirates chatting away and a couple younger men slumped over the bar. "It doesn't look too promising," she curled her lip, shooting Jim a glance before making her way towards the older pirates. Even if they weren't the most... able-bodied (a couple had peg legs and one a hook hand), experience would probably be good on their ship.

"Excuse me, lads," she pulled her own chair up to their small table, the wooden legs screeching against the floor. They looked at her weirdly, a couple of them sneering, certainly not pleased that there was such a brash child dressed up as a pirate at their table. A female too. "Would any of you, by chance, be looking for a crew?"

Not exactly thrilled by the idea, Emma nodded. She relaxed, some, when Elliot took Morrison with her. She certainly didn't mind as Elliot was not at her best right now. "One hour," she agreed and waited until her sister had turned away. Morrison would keep Elliot safe, Emma knew, after having saved his life he was rather fond of the twins. Turning on her heel, she headed toward the tavern with two crew members to accompany her. On her way she passed a shop and made a mental note to stop there before leaving the island.

It was a rowdy place as the island was one of the few places where pirates didn't have to place nice as they only had to deal with their own and didn't have to avoid catching the eye of someone in the Navy. This meant there were more than a number of the brothel girls straddling the laps of pirates and more than a few drunks. In one corner two men were fighting it out and no one seemed to blink an eye.

It was loud and smelled of piss and drink. Oddly enough, Emma was comforted by the familiarity of it, even if the stench burned her nostrils a little. At the bar she ordered a drink and eyed the crowd. There were three men in the corner; two were playing a loud game of Men's Morris while the other watched on, an empty board in front of him. They seemed promising as did the quiet guy at the end of the bar. The rest of the patrons didn't interest Emma. She thought herself to be a decent judge of character and these were her men, she could tell.

Grabbing a few chair she dragged it, loudly, to their table and took a seat. The men eyed her, suspiciously and with a bit of contempt, but she would win them over. The young pirate tipped the cup back and downed the ale setting it quietly on the table. "Mind if I play?"

The man lacking a partner sneered. "Yes."

An eyebrow rose and she considered the game, "Afraid to lose to a girl?" She asked letting a smile play across her lips. The other two paused in their game to watch.

"You little..." He reached for his knife, but his drunkenness made him slow and she reached the hilt at his boot before he did. Her companions stepped forward, but the knife was already in her hand and at his throat before he realized what had happened.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," She snapped. Her glare was hard, reminiscent of her father's. She waited one beat. The easy smile returned and she twirled the knife--a move she'd practiced thousands of times on the ship--and offered it back to him, hilt first. "You can have this back, but I really would like to play." He considered and then nodded. "See, that wasn't so hard. Just a friendly game." She beamed and the man took his knife back.

The game was fairly simple, Silver had taught the twins days into their arrival and the twins spent many an evening playing together and against the crew members. The object is to get three of your pieces in a straight line, called a mill. Once you've done this, you can take any of your opponent's pieces as long as they are not already part of your mill. When one player has only three pieces remaining, the game enters into the final phase. The player cn move their pieces to any open spot on the board; you want to keep them relatively close to one another as the goal is to create a mill. First player to get below three pieces loses.

It was his board and she'd intruded, she let the man go first. Having played with such a variety of people, people generally fell into groups in their playing style. After three moves she could tell his style was aggressive: fitting. She played her hand closer to the vest while he was more predictable. The game lasted fifteen minutes until she finally won. He seemed irritated and mildly impressed. "Thanks for the game." He grunted and she continued, "The name is Emma," she offered her hand and he shook it after staring at it like she was offering him scurvy. "The Secret," the three men perked up; she had their attention, "is looking for some more crew members. If you're interested, we leave in..." she leaned around to look out the window, "Three hours."

She stood and wondered over to the quiet man in the corner. He'd been watching the entire time. "You should come as well," She muttered before one of her companions from the ship cleared his throat.

"Captain?" She looked back at the man, making sure the four men she'd been trying to hire along all heard the title, "Time to go." Their hour wasn't quite up but their plan was. She payed her tab and left the tavern, her companions following close behind. She hoped the men would come.

Meanwhile, things weren't going quite as smoothly at the inn. So rough, in fact, that while Emma got to play a game at the tavern, Elliot was pulling out her sword to duel with some macho pirate that seemed to have some sort of issue with her having different genitalia.

"I win, and you can join my crew as a cabin boy," Elliot sneered. She'd been talking to a few men who had seemed genuinely interested in joining a crew, forward-thinkers that didn't seem to find any issue with women being on board (she hadn't yet explained that the two women on board happened to also be the captains of the ship) when one of the men slumped over the inn bar had woken up. He'd turned to the group, crumbs speckling his filthy beard, and proceeded to call Elliot quite a few not-so-kind names. Jim, of course, had jumped to her rescue, but Elliot decided to use it as way to prove herself. A sword fight would do the trick.

The man rose from his seat, his sword pointing towards her. He was drunk too.

All the other men in the inn backed off, creating a little circle of chairs to turn the center of the bar into some sort of fighting ring. It unnerved Elliot a bit. She was still injured and she was painfully aware of that, but they needed a crew and this was the perfect way to get one. Elliot was also never one to back down from a fight.

He swiped and she parried with her sword, sending him stumbling back with a quick kick to his gut. The other pirates in the inn were cheering, all but Jim, who was standing in the corner of the inn with his arms crossed and his brows furrowed.

Another swipe and another parry, Elliot had always relied on counterattacks. She let it go on like that, knocking him backwards each time until he was right about to fall back into a chair. Her body ached and she could feel the bandages unwinding themselves, but she still took that moment to knock the old pirates sword from his own hand with a hard knock from her own that sent shock waves up her arm. The blow also knocked him back, sending him into one of the chairs of the ring and she pointed her sword into his chest.

He was shocked, clearly, his wide eyes staring up at the girl as though he'd just seen a sign from God.

"Me name's Patrick Mulligan," he reached his hand out for a shake, "and I'd ave no problem joining yer crew, if ye'd ave me."

Elliot firmly grasped his hand and welcomed him to the crew; him, as well as Alfie Jackson, Barnaby Burrows, and three others that she hadn't quite bothered to learn the name of (she thought one had told her his name was Adam, but she forgot).

She glanced at Jim, who nodded his approval of the men, and that was that.

They made their way back to the dock, Elliot limping slightly and hoping that Emma had also found men willing to join the crew. They needed every man (or woman) they could get.

After leaving the tavern, Emma stopped off at the shop that she'd seen on her way in. It was a tailor shop, tailored to the pirates that often found themselves on Tortuga (pun absolutely intended). There were clothes, boots, belts, hats, and even some jewelry.

After twenty minutes she came out with two presents--one for her and one for her sister--and two new blouses for her sister. Both twins were nearly done with growing, but already some of their shirts didn't quite fit right any longer, despite the fact that they always bought them a little large. Then she hurried to find her sister.

At the docks she saw the men she had talked to in a small clump near her sister who had brought five with her. Eight new men. It didn't completely replace the crew they'd lost, but it was a definite start and more than enough to get them back on the ocean. She introduced herself to the men Elliot had brought, passing her sister the shirts (the surprise remained in her satchel, to be revealed later). Then she introduced Cade Merton, Hartwell Spooner, Hayes Shurman, and Rodman Bradly.

Excited, she turned to face the docks proper and her eyes scanned the rows of ships. Clearing her throat she nodded Elliot and Jim to the side, "Uh, where's the ship?"

Four men had come to talk to Elliot when she and her men had made it to the docks. She hadn't expected any less from her sister and was pleased that the two of them had managed to secure nine new men to their crew. It was a good start, but, Elliot glanced around the group of men, where was said sister?

It wasn't long after that Emma approached the docks, and though what she handed to her was simple, Elliot was overjoyed. "Oh, brilliant! I was pretty much busting out of my other blouses," she grinned at her and tucked the shirts into her own satchel. Her grin fell a little when Emma called her and Jim over, but she obediently left the earshot of the new crew members to talk to her.

"Wait," she froze as her sister questioned about the ship, "what do you mean 'where's the ship'?" The younger twin followed Emma's gaze out to sea and... well, The Secret was no where do be found. She pursed her lips to refrain from releasing the waterfall of cuss words that threatened to come out. "Arthur Silver better already be dead, or I'll kill him myself when we find him. We'll kill him when we find him."

She looked toward the new crew members and clenched her jaw for a moment, "I guess we'll just have to steal another ship." She said, looking back to her sister with a mischievous glint in her eye, "can't have our new crew thinking we're without one."

Emma nodded. "Let's go. You distract them while we get a ship." She nudged Jim and he went to talk to their new men about meeting up with the rest of the crew on another island.

Emma scanned the docs for a schooner. It was small and fast and if they could just guess the right direction Arthur had gone. "I might beat you to killing him." From this moment she trusted no one aside from her sister and Jim. "Killing isn't good enough for him... there!" She pointed to a smallish ship at the end with one hand and waving Jim down with the other. Time to go.

Together they ran down the dock and jumped onto the ship. Elliot getting the steering and Emma getting it untied from the dock. They had to move fast before the owner returned.

In it's place, Emma left a small bag of gold.

Elliot followed after her sister, hopping onto the ship. It was no Secret, but it would have to do.

She left Emma to untie the ship and made her way behind the wheel. The wood felt unfamiliar underneath Elliot's rough hands and she felt a bit uncomfortable. She'd only ever driven The Secret and while she knew it would probably be easier to maneuver because it was smaller, she was still worried the steering would be too different and would just lead to her smashing it into rocks.

Jim and the new crew members rushed down the docks toward the ship and while the new men made their way to the sails, Jim took his place beside Elliot. "I guess she'll be good enough," he patted the railing of the deck as he looked at the sisters, Emma having made her way back to them once she untied the ship.

"Where to?"

Walking the small ship was strange and... uncomfortable. She felt bad, realizing that they were doing what had just been done to them, but there's was a more beautiful ship. It was necessary.

And they were pirates, so she quickly shoved her guilt down until it was no more. Walking to her sister's other side she considered where Arthur would be. They had taken a lot of the crew off the ship; he would be needing a crew and undoubtedly thinking them unable or incapable of leaving Tortuga.

"North, north west." She said after a beat. "To Nassau." It was the only other place one could find a crew easily and he was known to take the easy way.

"I was expecting somethin'... bigger," An older man said. He'd come with Elliot and introduced himself as Victor.

The ship was already sailing away from the docks. "If you've got a problem, feel free to exit now." She indicated the water. "Otherwise, we're going to get The Secret back." The ship name was familiar to some, their father's legacy living on.

"Isn't that Captain Blackburne's ship?" No nickname, because it wasn't needed. Everyone knew him.

"Our father is dead, and now it's ours."

In two sentences she had established their legacy, their future, and their birthright.

Most of the men, at least the ones who knew of their father, seemed shocked when Emma announced the death of Captain Blackburne, but no one said a word. Victor mumbled a brief condolence and then continued on with what he was doing.

Elliot had turned the ship so they were sailing north west to one of the few other pirate strongholds in the Caribbean, Nassau. Even if Silver wasn't there, it would be a good place to see if they could recruit even more crew, though it was doubtful that they'd be able to with the little ship that they were on.

It was weird to think about how much had happened that day. The fought in their first real battle, watched their own father die, became co-captains of their fathers ship, and then had that ship stolen from right under their noses. All in all, it didn't seem like it was a very successful day and Elliot was sure that their father was turning in his (watery) grave.

She pursed her lips as the boat cut through the choppy waves of the sea. It felt less stable than The Secret, as though one large wave would send them tipping into the water below.

It would take several hours to get to Nassau, but they were only an hour behind their ship.

With a smaller crew to manage and a smaller ship to watch over, there was less for Emma to do and she was feeling antsy. Eventually she ended up back at her sister's side and appraised her twin. "How are your injuries?" It was obvious that she'd exerted herself during their hour on the island and she wondered if she would be able to convince her sister to stay behind on their borrowed schooner while she cut down Arthur.

Probably not.

"Oh!" In all the chaos she'd forgotten her gift. It was supposed to be handed over while her sister stood at the wheel of their ship, but since that would likely not happen until the following day and they needed a bit of cheering up, Emma thought giving over the gift now would be best. Digging into her sack she pulled out the other items that she'd purchased. They were a little crumpled from being in her bag, but she preferred them that way; it made them look a little worn rather than brand new.

In her hand, Emma held two matching ship Captain's hats, like the kind their father had worn, though smaller to fit their heads. The design was simple and black, with a small insignia sewn into the right side: the same one that was painted on their flag and on the side of their ship. The one that Emma offered to her sister, the rim was lined with violet ribbon woven in and out while Emma's was lined with a dark blue. "Captain," she called for her sister's attention, a small smile playing on her features.

"I'm fine, Emma, you don't need to worry about me." Elliot was not a hundred percent fine, and she was sure that Emma was aware of that, but there was no way that she'd let her twin try to cut down Arthur Silver herself. Arthur was the first mate on their father's ship, and he was given that title for a reason. The man, as well as being ridiculously intelligent, was known for his skills with a sword (maybe not as well known as their father, but still) and while Elliot and Emma were advancing quickly, they would not be able to take him one on one.

She was taken away from her thoughts when her sister offered a hat to her with a cheery "Captain". Her own face lit up with a smile as she took the hat from her sisters waiting hand and plopped it onto her head. "Captain," she repeated while Emma put on her own. "So that's where you were on Tortuga. I was wondering why you were late." Her green-blue eyes twinkled, but she could only hold her twins stare for so long before she had to look back out to sea. It probably wouldn't do them any good if Elliot crashed the ship.

The first couple hours on board went quickly. The new crew worked together smoothly enough that the twin captains wouldn't really need to worry about them, and none of them appeared disrespectful. With no worries on her mind, Elliot figured that she should probably get rest. Her body was aching, and she'd probably need to put new dressing on her cuts.

"Emma," she glanced at her sister momentarily, "would you mind taking over for a bit?"

Emma placed her own hat atop her head and it felt right. They had been born to captain a ship, born to wear this hat. Despite the very long day that had been had, she knew that they were where they meant to be.

She wondered if their new crew would have their back when it came time to fighting Silver.

The hours passed quickly and she quietly agreed to take over the steering of the ship. She'd spent her time speaking with the crew, learning their strengths and where she would put them once they recovered The Secret. "Get some rest, we will be in Nassau in no time." Perhaps they would find him somewhere in a brothel, hovering over a very disappointed whore and she could just put the sword through his back. The idea of revenge fueled Emma through the journey.

It passed uneventfully and when they reached the docks of Nassau, she could see their ship. Theirs. She went to wake her sister so they could discuss a plan of action. Personally she wanted to hunt down Silver and slit his throat but he was a more skilled swordsman than they were and Elliot was injured. They could ensure that he was no longer on the ship and just steal it back but there was a chance he would come after them. The other option would be to hire someone to kill him, but she wasn't fond of getting someone else to do their work.

He had wronged them and she wanted to see the look on his face when they enacted revenge. Careful planning was necessary.

Elliot woke to Emma's shoes as she came down below deck. "Is it time already?" She leaned up in the hammock she was laying in, nearly falling out in the process. Her body ached as she reached to rub the sleep out of her eyes, and she almost entertained the idea of asking Emma if she and the crew would be okay without her. Almost. But she then she recalled exactly why they were in Nassau. Arthur Silver had stolen their ship.

She grasped onto her sister to help get out of her chosen bed, a bubbling excitement masking the stinging of her cuts as their dressings rubbed up against them.

They made their way above deck to where a few of their more experienced and trusted crew members had gathered. "Arthur is probably expecting us. He knows we are Blackburns and there's no way we'll go without a fight." Elliot glanced around at their ragtag crew. She and Emma really didn't know if they could be trusted, or how they would handle being in a real fight.

"Running in guns blazing might not be the best approach."

This was a risk, a huge risk and Emma didn't want to go in too confident. But she had a feeling that Silver was going to underestimate them. After all, they were only a couple of girls, how could they possibly come up with a crew to come against him?

"I agree. We need to figure out the situation and then we need stealth. He's probably working on filling out the crew right now, but there are bound to be more people on that ship." Her fingers drummed against the side of their stolen... boat--it wasn't quite good enough to call a ship--and considered their options. "Half of us will need to figure out what's going on with the ship: how many people and their skills and the other half need to figure out where Arthur is hangin' out." Though, she had a good idea.

The harder part would be deciding who went where: she wasn't keen on splitting up from her sister again, not while she's injured, and she wasn't sure she could trust these men alone with Elliot. Then again, she wasn't sure they could trust these men at all and to send them on their own without someone they could trust. She looked to Elliot, hoping the other girl would have a solution. "One other thing," she added, "Anyone who is found with Silver or on that ship, is considered traitor."

And everyone knows what a Blackburn does with a traitor.

Back