Adenovirus 423 Derelict Buildings

Crim

The blobfish
Description: The buildings that used to make up Old Washington and were bustling with shops, businesses and houses has long since been abandoned and become deserted. A lot of the buildings have become riddled with wild animals, criminals, and people not affiliated with gangs. There is no working electricity or hot water within No Man's Land. The buildings have been raided so now very few supplies stand. There is no food or water stored as it's been so long. Glass has been broken and furniture broken or burned. There are remnants of fires where previous dwellers have stayed for one or two nights. If you want food out here than you have to hunt it by any means necessary.

There are no vehicles - or if there are they are so rusted and broken, and there is no petrol, often broken down for parts that they'd be no use. The only vehicles seen in the vicinity is when members from one of the gangs come out in them.

It wasn't as cold as it had been in recent days, but it was still cold. Addie had spent the last few days hiding out in one of the rooms of an abandoned building. She had managed to keep warm by building a small fire and having some blankets. It was the best she could do while she was out there alone. It was always a struggle since her parents had passed, three years previously, when Adelaide was only thirteen.

Her father had been with the East, but had left with her and her mother when she was young, to explore and search for the prophecy, the key. Her father had been obsessed with it. Adelaide had been young and so their mother had taken her too, but as far as Adelaide knew, her father had never found what he was looking for. Instead both of her parents had died in No Man's Land, and she had buried them.

At least they had taught her the basics for survival. It didn't make it any easier. But she was still alive, and was managing to get herself a food source and a source of heat. It was morning and time to put out the fire. She didn't want the smoke leaving the window and being noticeable. She would need to hunt for more food shortly.

Soon. She'd leave soon. Once she knew she was safe to do so.

But even though Adelaide had put out the fire, it's cozy light hadn't gone unnoticed.

Selene looked upwards towards the window, where the light had gone out. She almost didn't get there in time to see it.

The 17 year old got her crowbar ready in case she happened to stumble with any trouble and walked inside the old building.. hoping to, if whoever it was was friendly, maybe trade some pelts for food or water... just a brief meeting.

Selene soon got to what she thought was the right floor and walked towards the room, if she remembered correctly... it had to be just the next door to the right. She knew this building, it was a good hiding spot she had used before.

Using the crowbar and not letting herself be seen, just in case, she knocked besides the door two times. "Anyone in there??, I'm going to go in, not looking for trouble. " she stated, loud and clear. Tense, grasping the crowbar tightly.

Adelaide heard the voice and frowned. She'd been seen. They said they weren't looking for trouble but still that could be a lie. Adelaide had been surviving for a while in No Man's Land and she wasn't as naive as she used to be. She'd managed to learn that not everyone was good. She had to be careful with anyone she met. That is why she tended to stay away from anyone that she saw, choosing to stay alone.

Her parents had died a few years before. Her father was originally from the East but had not told Adelaide that she needed to go back there. In fact, he hadn't told her that she needed to go to one of the gangs and for that reason she hadn't sought them out. Her father had been so focused on finding the Key, so sure that it was out there... But Adelaide wasn't sure. He'd spent years of his life documenting journals and nothing as far as she knew, had led her father to finding the Key.

"I'm in here. My name is Adelaide... I'm unarmed... I'm on my way out. I don't want to cause trouble..."

Finally she had responded. She didn't make an advance to open the door though, deciding to stay standing at the other end of the room. If the female on the other end wanted to come in, she could, but Adelaide wasn't going to be the one to open the door and be within touching distance of danger.

Kyle sighed as he walked through the slight dusting of snow. His thick winter kimono moving in the slight wind. He sheathed his sword after carefully wiping down the blade. Kicking one of the three men over he quickly fished him pocketing the bullets he found. And the few other useful items he found. The air was broken by the growl of Kyle's guts. Shouldering his bag he left the bodies to find shelter and start a fire to make some food.

Soon he came to a building hearing voices. Kyle moved to the burned down husk of a former shop. In short order, he had a little fire and some meat and rice on the fire. The aroma carried out on the wind. He hoped to lure out his company.

Selene grinned when she heard a girl, a young girl speaking… if she dared to attack her she would probably be able to hit her before anything happened. And she did say that she was unarmed.

“I’m coming in.” She said, opening the door slowly. Her crowbar was the first thing to come into view.

The second thing was herself, obviously. A redhead with clothes that were obviously too big for her and a bag. She scanned the room with her eyes and soon fixed them on the younger girl. Hm.

“Do you have any food or something to trade with?” She asked the girl while she looked her up and down… She had to be young, quite young actually. Maybe twelve years old, it had to be around that age. She decided to be a little nice at least, the other seemed scared.

“Oh also, uhm. I’m… Selene”

She turned her head towards the window next, seeing smoke and smelling food. Her stomach growled.

When the woman entered, she was only armed with a crowbar. But that crowbar could easily beat her. Addie might not know how to physically defend herself and be pretty vulnerable and all, but she wasn't stupid or naive to the happenings in No Man's Land. Not at all. At 16 she was well aware of what others did within the area to defend themselves.

"I don't have anything to trade. I was about to leave and go out hunting for food." Adelaide told her. "If you want these room, you can."

Adelaide had finished packing up and grabbed her jacket and backpack. It was about time that she left. And the smell was making her hungry. Maybe on the way out she would try and investigate.

"I'm Adelaide. I'm going to go hunt now, but also see where that smell is coming from. It could be a sign of danger. I know what people are like out here. I spent years here with my parents before they passed. You always have to be alert."

With that, she moved passed Selene, taking the chance that the girl wouldn't attack her as Addie herself had nothing in her hands, and left the room they were in. She followed the smell, trying to find a way to get a look at what was happening without been seen by whoever was creating the sweet smell of food.

Kyle sat crossed legged next to his fire. Moving with calm care as the meat finished roasting. Reaching into his simple pack he came out with a small cutting board and produced a small knife from the sleeve of his kimono. He expertly carved the meat into small bits and added it to the rice pot. Kyle made a point of always carrying more food than he needed when he ventured out of his shop. In case he ran into people that could help him, and also it was an easy way to meet people.

Kyle reached once more into his pack and brought out his jug of fresh water and a small brass teapot poured some into a teapot and set that next to the fire. Without looking around Kyle deep voice carried softly on the wind " If you intend me no harm please come and join me by the fire, There is a rather harsh chill to the air." Kyle knew that someone was watching him you did not survive as long or become nearly as famous with a sword as he was if you did not know when someone was watching you. Kyle katana was resting next to him about three feet away laying on the ground. Not so far that if he needed it he could not get to it in time. But nor was it close enough that it showed he intended to use it.

Selene recognised Kyle's voice, she hadn't been there many times, but she had been to his shop on occasions to trade food for clothes and stuff like that, even though he never had her size.

She moved quickly to go past Adelaide, shoving her to the side softly "sorry!" as she made her way downstairs while muttering to herself... and coming out of the building, panting softly.
"Kyle?, The... the one from the shop, right?. " She knew he didn't just attack people, because what kind of trader did, really. They wouldn't get any clients if they did that kind of shit. The one that moved was more aggressive, but he was also far more exposed so it was understandable. Selene couldn't help the tiny smile that made it to her face as he clutched her crowbar tightly in her hands, she was starving...

Kyle heard running footsteps and thought for a moment he was under attack. His hand almost reached out for his sword. Stopping himself he smiled and let out a booming laugh "Well if there is more than one sword saint wondering around No Man's land I must surely challenge him to a dual."
Taking out a few cups from his pack he set them next to him. "Young miss, could I interest you in some tea? And it seems like I made a little too much food. Maybe you and your friend could help me eat some of it. As food is awfully hard to come by and I would hate to waste it. " Kyle's eyes twinkled as he smiled and gestured to the fire.

She had only just met Selene, but the other girl seemed to recognise the man and thee seemed to Ben friendly banter. She'd only seen that among gang members that were familiar to each other, or between rogues that had outed together like family.

She came out of her covered position and stood within view, but didn't come further at first. She didn't know where their allegiances stood and she didn't want to take any risks. No matter how much her stomach growled.

"Are you with any gangs, or rogues?"

Kyle smiled again at the second girl who had just come out of her cover. "Well, that is rather complicated. Young miss, See I am a blacksmith and I have a shop here in No Man's Land. I am not in any gang nor do I raid with the rogues around here. Though I do belong to the Yakuza though that is more through birth and they have not been a gang is quite some time." Kyle poured three cups of tea as it finished. He moved around the fire setting two cups on either side and his own where he was sitting. He sank back down and crossed his legs again so he was sitting on his ankles.

Kyles warm smile flashed again. "Oh please forgive me, young Miss, my name is Kyle Nickel though most people know me as The Sword Saint. " Kyle then lifted his teacup blew on it almost dainty and took a sip. The taste of honey and black tea filled his mouth and Kyle closed his eyes for a moment. Taking time to enjoy the little things as the world was in decay around him.

"I guess I am a rogue. I'm pretty sure that stupid Key doesn't exist"
Selene didn't usually appreciate company, but it would be fine at least for a little while, and more so now that Kyle had food and she was so hungry, so she sat down facing the self proclaimed saint.
"Well, if you really don't mind sharing... i'm not about to lie and say i'm not hungry " she said, grinning. "How is your business, uh?. As far as I know more merchants and traders are popping up constantly. Not all of them make it far, though.

Kyle took the top off the rice pot. The aroma of spiced meat and rice filled the air. "I do okay for myself and no one really tries to steal from the shop anymore not after I beheaded the last few and left their heads on spikes out front," Kyle said his smile now almost predatory. He dished up some rice and put them in a brass bowl that matched his teapot and cups. He produced a few sets of chopsticks from his bag as well hand handed the bowl and the eating utensils over.

"And if you ever need a place to stay there is more than enough room at the shop. There is hot water now and I finally got the steam powered generator I was working on up and working so there is power too. I only ask for some scrap metal I honestly hate being pulled away from my work to dig around here." Kyle said as he dished the other girl a bowl also and produced yet another set of chopsticks.

Addie was glad that they weren't part of the gang. That meant that they weren't going to kill her, for now. Still she knew she had to be careful. But she came and sat herself down, quietly eating the food she was given. God she was hungry.

"I'm a rogue too." She answered. "My dad spent his life searching for the Key and found nothing and died. So I don't believe in such a thing. He might have found it otherwise."

What was the point in believing in something when for years nothing had been found? Not so much as a clue to its whereabouts. The virus had been created and there was nothing to change that. If there was something, it would have been found, or written about. No, it was just someone creating false hope for their scared children.

Selene listened to both of them with interest. Mmm... she thought about it while she chewed on her food, it was so nice!. "There's another merchant who goes around with a shopping cart, Kyle, maybe you should tell him?. Never heard of the guy having metal, though... and if you really have space and hot water, well..." she licked her lips. While it was true that she wasn't keen on having company, it didn't mean she was stupid. " I want in, I will look for metals or whatever you need. " she offered in exchange, looking then towards Adelaide. " I totally agree with you there, girl... if it existed we would already know something. " she nodded, going back to eating and humming softly, damnit the food was so nice.

Kyle set down his bowl and picked up his teacup. After taking another sip he spoke "That remains to be seen, There is so much we as a people have lost. The knowledge that we as a people once had like drugs cures for infections that are now fatal. I would not be surprised if there is a key out there somewhere. " Kyle sipped again and looked around the burned out building he was in. His gaze imagining it as it once was. With a sigh, he looked back. "My door is always open and if you don't find anything it is always nice to have another set of hands at the forge. You too young Miss " Kyle said with a warm smile.

Hero kicked in a rusty grate and emerged into the foyer of a burned out building.

Wan light shone through the broken windows, and Hero put on her goggles. To anyone else, wearing these would be like wearing sunglasses at night, but to Hero, they only served to block the more harmful rays. She could still see just fine, as long as she didn’t look directly into the sun. Thankfully, it was a cloudy day.

And there was a scent in the air. Food! Maybe she’d be able to barter for some, or steal some if that failed. From the smell, and the sound of the voices she could hear if she listened carefully, it seemed the strangers were next door. With a grace only afforded those who’d spent their entire lives being silent, she took to the stairs and began to climb, crossbow in hand.

As she’d expected, the second floor was missing most of its walls, and she could easily step across to the neighboring building. It looked like a small apartment, the kind that would reside above family-owned stores and restaurants.

Through a small hole in the floor, she could see three people gathered around a fire. Food! Her stomach almost grumbled, but she clenched her abdominal muscles to stop it. Silence was her friend.

The group gathered around the fire was a bit mismatched, but what else could Hero expect? There was a girl with a crowbar who was almost as tall as Hero but much wider, and a blonde who looked rather waifish.

The third was a confident looking man who seemed like he’d spent his entire life in a sealed room reading The Book of Five Rings and then walked out here.

When her junky informant had told her the Sword Saint was a samurai warrior, she hadn’t quite believed him and had taken a chunk out of his heart for wasting her time. Maybe she’d been too hasty. This guy certainly looked the part.

And food!

Hero took aim with crossbow and cleared her throat with a wet cough. “Trade?”

Selene heard that, she heard that and immediately stood up, crowbar in hand and leaving the food plate on the floor... her life was way more important.

She coughed, due to being startled while eating, and looked towards where the voice had come from... squinting. There was a goddamn hole there. But where weren't there holes?. She backed towarsa a place where she wouldn't be visible even through that hole, ready for an attack of some sort. " Who are you, Uh?? " she asked, loud. Interrumpting lunch time always got the worst out of her. Stupid whoever it had been...

Speaking of that person, where were they? In the building?... maybe she could go after them and give them a taste of crowbar. Whatever really... she would remain here for now, because the other two guys were there... well, because she kind of was interested in Kyles staying at shop, otherwise... ehh.. well. The girl was also unarmed, ugh. She couldn't just leave.

Kyle moved before he knew what he was doing. Or even knew what set him off. In a roll, he picked up his katana and had it half way out of the scabbard. As he rolled to a crouch the top of his kimono hanging at his sash allowing him more range of movement. It exposed the long sleeve tattoo he had on his left arm. Along with the few shallow scars on his chest. Showing that he made mistakes in combat. But they were few and he had learned from each. It was at that moment he realized what had triggered him. The wind had changed and brought the smell of the trespasser to him.

Clearing his throat and looking rather sheepish. Kyle smiled and said "The food is free if you are a friend. There is some tea here too if you are interested. " Sheathing his sword Kyle moved back to where he was sitting. But this time his sword came with him. As he tucked it in his sash and shrugged back into his kimono. Kyle's mind was working fast as he sat down 'Know one in quite some time has gotten the drop on me like that before. Hell, she might have grown up in the underground too. Though if it was not for the smell she could have shot me dead.' Kyle reached down and picked up his teacup and took a calming sip.

Back