Enter the void

VoidLion

A bit of Sport: Alton Tanners Moment

Physical appearance: 6'2" tall, 190 Lbs, brown chin length hair, cloudy green eyes. Brown hide pants, black linen tunic with purple knotwork on sleeves and neckline.

Personality: Alton cares more about his own plight than pretty much anything else even when his plight is nothing more than a splinter in his finger. Deceptive and ruthlessly cunning is a good start but mean spirited and hateful he is not. He will cheat you in a game of chance at the drop of a hat based on the idea that if you could not stand to lose it you should not have bet it in the first place.

Weapons: He carries a finely crafted bow mad from wood of red hue, his leather quiver can produce a limited amount of arrows each day and these arrows can be tipped with various materials of his choosing. A hardwood club hangs at his side and daggers are hidden on his person, one happens to be plated in silver "just incase" Many of these items were won in various games of "chance."
Back Story:
Physically Alton Tanner was an unassuming man, tall but not overly so at 6'2", not deceptively strong, wickedly handsome, or debilitatingly awkward. Just a man plain and simple in appearance, his brown hair was worn as at chin length, as he was yet unmarried and was the culture of his tribe. He wore a black linen tunic accented with purple knotwork around the neck and cuffs, soft brown hide pants and calloused feet. He in truth had never seen the use for shoes he would rather make a pouch or gloves out of the material. The only thing Alton had that many others lacked in comparison was his cunning. Guile so strong that it became his defining moment.

Almost everyone has a defining moment, most simply miss it.

Altons moment came on a rainy day while out on a hunting trip. The rain covered the sound of his foot falls but the animals were much less likely to move if that already had dry shelter. He had been tracking the same deer all morning though never getting close enough for a clear shot. "Easy now, take a drink." he thought to himself as he drew the arrow back once more. Time froze around him, he could count the drops of rain suspended in the air. A delicate voice called to him.
" Alton Tanner I propose a bet, a bit of sport as it were, if your aim lands true you will never have need to hunt again. A fresh deer will be delivered to the door each day if you wish it. Anything you plant will grow without need for tending. This is your prize, however, should you miss, you will become one of the creatures of my woodland eternal until another hunter takes your life."
Alton ponders for a moment before speaking decisively " Not much sport in that bet is there? A much more sporting matter would be a contest. Skill vs skill however given that I believe you to be Laylani overseer of the woodlands and governess of the hunt, I am gonna to bet you would win. So, in turn, I prepose this, you take my form, nullify your powers until nightfall and we split my two remaining arrows. If you are nothing more than human and a copy of me the contest comes down to skill, that is real sport. The first one responsible for falling that deer is the winner for all time, I will not beg or plead with you to release me from my end of the deal. Once I am declared the winner that is the end of it." He smiles intently assured of himself in this moment.
Laylani ponders the proposal for a moment then agrees, a beam of light pierces the motionless canopy engulfing her for a moment when it fades she has taken his form. The rain begins to fall again as Alton says almost mockingly "I give you the first shot my dashing double", he hands Laylani both his bow and an arrow. She quickly draws it back and losses the arrow.
Bullseye.
The deer falls, the shot pierced the heart. Laylani turns to Alton " I think you will live the rest of you time as a deer" Alton still smiling "you see Laylani our deal was hinged on the idea of being responsible for falling the deer" he wipes moisture from his lips "I gave you both the bow and an arrow and you had relinquished your powers, without my intervention you would have been unable to fall the target as I do not have the agility or endurance to run down a deer, so that makes me the one responsible for its death."
That was his moment, as underhanded and deceitful as it may have been, it was still his moment. From that very moment, he could twist the words used against him into a more favorable outcome. Trickery, deception, games of chance, there were his tool and greatest weapon.

Back