Exploration Fleet (Treasure and Appletree)

"Of course, I had hoped you wish to see it," Frayne said, dipping his head. "I have no real knowledge of medicines, though I did look over the packaging and did not see any visual damage. Therefore I have hope it is fine, but I would prefer an expert would examine it before we get too far out. Also, as you are our chef, if you could familiarize yourself with the galley and let me know if you need any changes or other supplies." He turned to look at Eamon, who was still glued to the front window. "Eamon, is there anything you wish to report about the engine?"

"Huh?" Eamon peeled himself away and turned back to the captain. "Oh, right, no, everything looks fine and is running smoothly. I'm going to keep a close eye on it in case anything changes, but everything should be fine as far as the engines go."

Frayne nodded again. "Excellent. Now, Kalukan, I trust you have had a chance to look over the pod?"

Ahara decided to take Fraynes words as an informal dismissal. She gave a salute that somehow managed to look sardonic despite its perfectly correct form and left. As she passed through the galley on her way to the hold, she wondered if she could be so petty as to botch all the meals she was required to cook here. Then she remembered that she would have to eat those meals herself. Perhaps it would have been a touch too much anyway.

“Yes sir.” Kal drew himself up to his full height, not wanting to look sloppy while reporting to his captain. “Everything seems to be running smoothly. Eamon told me he adjusted the shields, for which I am very grateful,” He nodded to the engineer who was still standing by the window, “as it was one of the first modifications I had planned anyway. I would like to take it out for a true test run before fully deciding on what other changes are most important.”

He paused for a moment, then brought up the question he had been meaning to ask in the first place, before they got distracted by potential discussions about the pod.
“Have I been cleared for access to the data on Jepison? I would like to have a good picture of the station's situation as possible long before we arrive.”

Frayne had not really meant it as a dismissal, but he saw no harm in allowing the misunderstanding to pass. Ahara was not really needed right now. He did not, however, miss the sardonic edge. Not that he could really call her out on it right now, not without causing a big scene and completely ruining the mood. He had a feeling this was going to become a game between the pair of them. An extremely unpleasant game.

Instead of thinking about Ahara, he focused on Kal and listened to his report. A test flight? He supposed that could be arranged. He turned away and pulled up a chart, eying the position. "Yes, I believe there is a quiet area between here and there where you might perform your test without fear of trouble," Frayne replied. As for clearance on the data, no, I do not think so, but if at some time you wish to read up on what information we have, come to the bridge and I will pull it up for you until your clearance comes through."

Kal tilted his head to get a better look at the chart on the screen. He could read simple star charts and maps, but this one was far from simple and he could make neither heads nor tails of it.

He snapped back to attention when the captain turned back to face him, unable to keep the barest hint of a frown from maring his features. It wasn’t directed at anyone on the ship, more at the general system of the fleet. As scout (an ambassador to a certain degree) it was paramount for him to know as much as possible about the planets they would visit. Why hadn’t he been given clearance to see those files yet? Now he would have to impose on their captain and pilot, using resources Frayne would surely need elsewhere. Still, he was kind enough to offer, which Kal appreciated, even if he would only take it if absolutely necessary.

“Thank you sir, but I couldn’t intrude. I’m sure my clearance will come through soon enough.”

"Yes, it is a puzzle why it has not yet gone through," Frayne said, unknowingly agreeing with Kal's thought process.

"It's because we're newbie greenhorns with a couple of disreputable crewmembers on board," Eamon stated without turning from the view.

"Eamon, I doubt very much that this is directed at you," Frayne said with a hint of scolding.

Eamon glanced over his shoulder. "Oh, I didn't say it was! But being a human doesn't help, nor does having a nutcase like that medic."

"Eamon," Frayne said more sharply this time. "Phrases like that are uncalled for. You will refrain from referring to your fellow crewmates in such derogatory terms in the future."

Eamon turned enough to salute. "Yes sir. I am only attempting to state things as I see them, but in the future, I will try to do so in a more politically acceptable fashion."

Kal watched the exchange with interest. They were familiar to an extent that surprised him, even if they had known each other before this assignment. He knew that humans were uncouth to the point of insolence, but Eamons choice of words still took him by surprise. Not so much Fraynes scolding, which while still rather restrained, was not something he felt he had to bear witness to. Reprimands were bad enough without onlookers.

“I do believe we should not always judge by first impressions or outward appearances.” He ventured diplomatically, then added. “Please inform me should my clearance be fully processed, or we reach the area you deem fit for a test flight. With your leave, I would return to my quarters, unless you need me elsewhere.”

Frayne continued to frown at Eamon for a moment then turned to Kal. His expression cleared, and he nodded. "Thank you for your input, Kalukan. Yes, you are dismissed. As are you, Eamon. I am certain the craft's engineer can find something to do other than leave nose prints on my window."

Eamon gave the universe one last look then nodded. "Yes, sir. I'll be on my way." He saluted smartly and waited for Frayne to return it before heading for the door.

“Captain.” Kal saluted in farewell and left just a few steps ahead of Eamon.

In the corridor beyond the bridge, he spoke up, “It is quite the spectacular sight. As a child I found the idea of endless space quite frightening, but now, looking right at it, its beauty simply overwhelms everything else.” He smiled, “I must say I am glad our quarters have windows.”

Eamon glanced back and up at Kal in brief confusion. He felt like he'd just walked into the middle of a conversation rather than the start, though it didn't take him long to figure out what Kal was talking about. "Yes, right, the view of the spinning globs of burning gas is pretty fascinating to watch," he agreed with a smirk.

“Is that really all they are though?” Kal questioned, watching Eamon sidelong. He had asked a few people this question in the past and was quite curious about the humans view.

Eamon rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he eyed Kal out of the corner of his eye. That was kind of an odd question and phrasing. "You should know better than me, or I, or whatever the correct pronoun usage is, but some of them are, yeah. Like the suns and stuff. Then the others are solid balls of... presumably dirt. Or a dirt-like substance. I've heard of a couple that may or may not be volcanic. I wonder what it would be like to live on an entirely volcanic planet? Other than really, really hot."

He couldn't quite get a read on this fellow. Was Kal just interested in making friends? Was he trying to prove a point? Learn something? Eamon truly had no idea what Kal's point was or if he even had a point, and it was bothering him. Maybe he was just overreacting, as usual.

Kal suppressed a chuckle. Human mannerisms and word choices really were quite cute. Or at least this ones were. Apart from the occasional lapses into unsophisticated behaviour, Kal couldn’t quite understand the general unfavourable mood towards Eamon and/or his species the Zebek of the Fleet seemed to hold.

“I suppose, though I’m not sure why you think I should know better.” Having reached the door to his quarters, he stopped and turned to face Eamon properly. “As to a volcanic planet, well, I imagine it would be a bit too exciting for my tastes. Anyway, don’t let me keep you, I’m sure you have better things to do than stand around following fancies of thought with me.”
He smiled again, but didn’t make a move to enter his quarters yet.

Eamon paused a couple of paces on, not realizing immediately that Kal had stopped. He turned back to face the Zebek, listening to him. This one seemed nice enough, but Eamon couldn't get past the sensation that he was somehow amusing the scout. Kal didn't seem at all malicious, but something about the slight tilt to the head and the faint widening of the eyes when he listened to Eamon gave the impression that he was fascinated, almost like how some humans had watched their pets do funny things that the pets obviously thought were perfectly normal. Or maybe when they talked to someone who was completely oblivious, like that recording that went around for a while of that lady who thought the animal crossing signs were meant for the animals to follow and insisted that they be moved to quieter locations so the animals wouldn't get hurt. That had been pretty funny, though the DJ at the radio station had handled it well, despite the clear disbelief in his voice.

He brought himself back to the present. "There's always something to do," he replied to Kal, "even in a shiny new craft like this, but right now everything's running smoothly." He paused, frowning. "Maybe I should get my room in order... Captains are worse than fathers when it comes to tidy rooms, and Frayne is no exception."

He turned and stared at the doors. Which one was his again? Oh, right. He placed his hand on the pad and opened his quarters. Everything seemed neat enough except for the two bags tossed carelessly onto the floor and the box sitting in the middle of the bed. Eamon didn't bother to close the door as he stepped inside and started opening his bags and trying to figure out what to put where.

While the engineer had left his door open, Kal felt he wasn’t exactly inviting in company, so retreated to his own room with a murmured, “I’ll keep that in mind.”
He too left his door open as he surveyed the room he had chosen but hardly inspected earlier. It was spacious enough for a ship's cabin and furnished with utility in mind rather than style or extreme comfort, though he supposed that counted as a style in and of itself.
Somehow his belongings had made their way up here from the hold. Perhaps a helpful ground crew member had noticed his registering of the room and moved his things in while they had been waiting on their medic.

His unpacking didn’t take long. He hadn’t brought too much to begin with. He saw no point in taking an extravagant wardrobe when he was going to be spending almost all his time in uniform and he had amassed little of high enough sentimental value to want to take it into the unknowns of space. A photo of his family made its way onto the small desk and all that was left in the one box he had brought was a stack of unmarked books. Not something too many people dragged around with them in this technological day and age. These quickly disappeared in one of the cupboards and Kal turned to the last item lying on his bed.

The case had been large enough to be transported without a box, but Kal had still worried about it getting lost or damaged in transit. Thankfully it looked just as it had when he had closed it that morning. Still it was better to make sure. He flicked the catches and lifted the lid just a fraction, listening for any sign of something falling out of place. When nothing happened, he opened the case fully and breathed a sigh of relief to find everything as he had left it.

Forgetting that his door was open and unable to resist the temptation, he took out several items and sat down on the broad windowsill, watching the stars streak past outside, letting his mind wander and his hands move as they wanted.

Last edited:
Eamon finished packing quickly. Despite the fact that he had two fairly large bags, most of it was actually for his work or fiddling. Clothing and hygiene items disappeared into the top drawer of the dresser, and his dress uniform he hung up neatly in the closet before closing the door and hoping desperately that he wouldn't have to put it on again any time soon. It itched! Badly. Then he took out an entire carry case of tools from his bag. Yes, the craft came with its own set, but he liked his tools. They fit his hands as opposed to the tools designed for people with an extra joint in their fingers. The other bag clanked oddly as he shoved it under the bed.

Placing his tool kit on top of the box on his bed, he picked up the whole thing and carried it out into the hallway. He paused, glancing into Kal's room. He hadn't meant to, but an open door tended to draw the eye. He looked in curiously and watched Kal for a moment, trying to make out what he was doing. It looked familiar somehow.

Something, call it a scouts sixth sense if you will, made the hairs at the back of Kal neck prickle enough that he was pulled out of his meandering thoughts and looked around. Catching sight of the figure in the open doorway, he quickly pushed the things in his hands to the side so that the leg propped up on the sill would hide them from view. Unfortunately, he didn’t notice that in his haste something dropped to the floor rather than behind him.

Recognising the person took longer than he cared to admit, but when he did, his posture relaxed a bit, back towards the state he had been in before being caught.
“Eamon, you surprised me. Can I help you with anything?” It was the only thing that came into his mind to say, the manners so ingrained into him that the words left his lips before he could truly think about them or the fact that they were essentially an invitation for Eamon to come in, which would make hiding things that much harder.

Eamon set the box down in the hallway next to the wall and stepped inside. "I dunno, maybe," he said casually, shoving his hands in his pockets. His eyes quickly scanned the area, trying to spot what Kal was trying to hide. There was something on the floor. "Looks like you dropped something. Here, I'll help you pick it up."

Quick as a wink, Eamon lunged forward and snapped up the item before standing straight again. He turned it over in his hands curiously. An eraser? All that fuss over an eraser?

Last edited:
Kal started to rise the moment Eamon left his load in the hall and stepped inside, the engineers undefined answer to his question making him suspicious. He glanced quickly at the bed to make sure he had actually closed the case, then tried to maneuver to keep himself between Eamons line of sight and the sketchbook lying by the window.

His efforts were for naught though as Eamon stooped and picked up something lying almost at Kals feet. Realising what it was, he swallowed.
“Thank you.” His voice came out rather clipped as he held out a hand. “What was it you needed from me?”

Eamon tossed the eraser up and caught it again. "This is kind of a tiny ship to be trying to keep secrets. Especially if you're so bad at keeping secrets as to leave your door wide open. So." He hed up the eraser between thumb and forefinger. "What's all this about?"

Kal was starting to understand what people didn't much like about humans. Couldn't he take a hint? Drawing himself up and cursing himself for his inattentiveness, he ground out, "It's not a secret. Just a bad habit I indulge in. Now if you would please give that back, I can assist you with whatever you need."

Back