Fading Silence

Draco Shadowdragon

Unknown Entity
The day was Thursday March, 12. It was a burning ninty-eight degrees fahrenheit outside. Alice felt the beads of sweat rolling down her back as went from place to place passing out flyers and putting up posters. She needed to get out of this heat. So she went back to the building she was renting for this band try-out. It was a small vacant building, with not much inside. She had brought with her a portable fold-up table and a few fold-up chairs. Outside she had set up a small folding sign with the words, "Band try-outs inside!" written on it in near perfect cursive handwiting.

A couple hours passed and the time was now five o'clock p.m. The time that was listed on the posters and flyers. Alice was very nervous but she tried not to show it as people started showing up. She was a little surprised at the amount of people that had shown up. This was a lot more than last time. In total there was about twenty-five people there. Most of everyone had followed her instructions and had brought their own equipment. "You and you," she said pointing at two people that hadn't listened and came with nothing, "I'm sorry but you guys can go back home. I gave specific instructions for you to bring your own equipment and you didn't listen." Well this hadn't started on a good note but at least everyone else had listened.

James was incredibly nervous as he waited in line. He had gotten there pretty early compared to everyone else, so it was almost his turn. There wasn't any time to calm his nerves before arriving. He began tapping his feet to the beat of the song in his head. He suddenly felt sick to his stomach. "Oh God, what if I forget the beat? What if it's not a song they like? The drummers here look more experienced than me. What am I even doing here?" His mind was playing tricks on him before his audition. There were only 2 people ahead of him now. Eventually, he took deep breaths and imagined his cousin Aaron playing the drums, how cool and collected he looked, how satisfied he was after perfecting the beat. James began to calm down. He knew the drums well, and he's always focused. He waited his turn to audition.

Macro's bicycle hurled down the hill. the heat was like a blanket over the city and it pressed everything down. Marco wasn't used to the heat, not this hot at least. He felt the stress in his nerves, he was late! At least he brought his guitar. With his instrument and bicycle he zapped down the roads which eventually led to the building at the edge of town. It had a reputation as a spare building for every kind of event. Festivals, concerts, theater, that sort of thing. Marco threw his bike to the ground. He had everything prepared, just not the timing. He rushed to the back of the line, eagerly awaiting but out of breath

Well that was... plenty of people. Abel wasn't late. He'd just been waiting for a while already. And he'd had to park his motorbike under the sun. By the time he was ready to go back home he was going to fry his ass. Unless it was night already. Hopefully not, because he had work that night. If he was going to be honest with himself, he wasn't... going to come at first. A friend of his had been planning to come to audition, though. But well, why not?. He already sang solo, a band would improve the background significantly. Of course he wasn't about to tell them that, most people went for the friendship route. But well, aren't we all really looking out for ourselves first?. Even the most compassionate, do things because it makes them be at ease with themselves. Abel was just one of the few that actually accepted it.

It would be his turn soon, fucking finally. But then his phone rang, displaying the name: sshl Nº3. He groaned and answered it.
"For fuck's sake Vic you have to stop calling me already."
"Because it's fucking sad?, because I have moved on with my life?, because you're annoying?..."
"Seriously it's pathetic, can you not like, do that?. If i ever even considered, if there was a teeny tiny chance, you just ruined It by continuously crawling all over the place. And seriously stop calling. I've already blocked you everywhere else, I don't want to have to figure out how to block your number too. Feck off a-"
"No, you're not going t-"
"Alright gotta figure out how to block your ass. Bye."

He finally hung up, giving his phone an exasperated look. Why did these tVictor was a boring guy. It sparked, it flared, it burned and then it went out. He just kept removing the ashes. He was already seeing someone else for fuck's sake. He put on his headphones and started playing one of his favourite Avril Lavigne songs. -I don't like your girlfriend-.

Once everyone was assembled she started. "Before we bigin this, I want to thank you all for showing up. My name is Alice," she said to the crowd, "now let's start with the audition. How this will go is first I'll have everyone play seperate. Then if I like what I hear, the ones that are left will be playing as a full band. I will choose from the pairing that works best."

She had everyone form a line in the order they got there in. "Alright, first in line, come forward." The man did so. "What is your name and are you auditioning for singer," she asked reading the tag on his shirt that read 'singer.' The man answered, "I'm Jacob and I am auditioning for vocalist" Alice looked up at Jacob, "alright whenever you're ready you can start." Jacob started singing. His voice sounded good. He was a baritone. The thing she wasn't much for though was the lack of emotion he displayed. She thanked him and apologized as she told him that sadly he wasn't what she was looking for.

A few more people went. Some she liked and some she didn't. Next up in line was James. "What is your name and what role are you auditioning for?"

James began to feel nervous as he set up his drums, but he wasn't too worried about missing a beat. He introduced himself. "Hello, my name is James and I will be auditioning for the drummer role. The song I will be covering is Chop Suey by System of a Down." His heart was racing as sweat was seeping from his palms. With the room silent, he began to play. Once he started, he was in his zone, the nervousness had flown away. Each beat was perfect and full of passion. It was one thing to play the music like a machine, but playing it like a true musician was a whole different thing. When he finished, he wiped the sweat from his brow and said "thank you" before packing his drums and leaving for the next person to audition.

Alice was amazed by James's performance. The beat was on point, it had that human element, and best of all, she could feel the passion. She wrote down his name amongst the names that she liked before him on a clip board. "Alright, that I liked." She held her hand out for him to shake.

Then it was on to some more auditions. Some time went by and it was finally down to the last few. There were some promising performances after James performed. It was almost as if he had inspired everyone to do better. Finally it was Marco's turn. She asked him the same question she asked everyone else, "what is your name and which position are you auditioning for?"

“My name is Marco! I’m here to play the guitar for you! I’m going to be playing Brick By Boring Brick by Paramore!” He said, bursting with energy. He took his Stratocaster over his head and plugged into the amp. Marco shredded the notes, he crushed the chorus and even wrote his own solo. Just to show off, he wasn’t so good with normal songs.

“Thanks! He continued” and quickly took off the guitar and ran off

Alice wasn't so sure what to think of Marco's performance. She had liked it. She felt the passion. She liked the guts he showed in writing a guitar solo for the song. What worried her was him running off right after he finished. Stage fright most likely. She had it too, so she understood. She wrote his name on the clip board as well.

Next up was Abel. Seeing that he had no gear with him she assumed he was going for singer. "What is your name and are you auditioning as a singer?" she asked Abel. The first part of the auditions were almost done.

Back