[Fantasy][Action/Adventure] Heroes of Erhi

I'll keep that in mind! If we don't get any more interest, then it would definitely be helpful.

Sounds good. I'll give it about another day. If we don't get interest, I'll just go ahead and close this and let y'all create characters so I we can get things started.

Gotcha! I do have a few more questions. Can shapeshifters communicate in animal form somehow or do they sound like, well, animals? Are there any religions considered evil or otherwise unacceptable by the majority of the world? Is homosexuality or other orientations and gender identities accepted? How's the literacy rate? Have there every been any major plagues or current diseases looming over people?

(Sorry.)

Don't apologize asking questions- sure, it makes me think, but in a good way. Having to come up with answers just helps me develop the world even farther.

Can shapeshifters communicate in animal form somehow or do they sound like, well, animals?
Shapeshifters in animal form sound like animals. They can communicate with other animals of the species they are currently in the form of (and by extension any other shapeshifters in that same form, if such a situation does occur.) However, they can understand people when talking, and they can try to get their point across using certain sounds (ie snarling at someone if they don't like whatever they said), or with non-verbal forms of communication (like body language or some gestures).

Are there any religions considered evil or otherwise unacceptable by the majority of the world?
There are six large religious groups in Erhi- one for each of the five main gods (although Lumeria's also includes worship of the Light as well (which is a real but non-physical entity.) The sixth worships the darkness. They are mostly underground, because they are definitely not widely appreciated. In fact, the religion is completely outlawed. In fact, this is the reason shadowmancy is banned- it was developed and widely used by those who worshiped the darkness. As far as the other five religions go, they are more or less accepted, although there can be biases against some depending on which sect is most common in the country. Most of the minor gods have some scattered minor followings, but nothing major enough to cause huge biases against them. Mostly the "worship" of the minor gods simply involves praying to them whenever you want something. Of course, there are gods that are much less popular than others, namely the ones who cause misfortune (ie Januneshi, Shakhbir, etc.)

Is homosexuality or other orientations and gender identities accepted?
The answer to this is along the same lines as the earlier question as to how sexuality is viewed. In places where the population is more open with their sexuality, they are also generally more accepting of different sexual orientations and whatnot. Those that hold stricter views will be less accepting of this.

How's the literacy rate?
Among the wealthy and city dwellers, pretty high. In more rural communities, it's a lot lower, because it isn't something that is actually necessary for survival.

Have there ever been any major plagues or current diseases looming over people?
There have been in the past, yes. After all, there is a god of disease, and that's sort of what he does- cause diseases. It happens periodically. There hasn't been a major one in a while, but there are always more minor epidemics going around. But there is no major threat at the moment.

Well, I said I'd leave this for another day, and I did. So I'm now officially opening this up to two characters per author (again, up to a maximum of ten total). So Green Door, Draco, and anyone else who is interested, feel free to post another character.

Name: Azhad Alhazred
Race: Human
Appearance:
sand_ninja___boss_by_tervola-d41a68x.jpg

Main Skill: Berserker. Azhad is seen by outsiders as a man of pleasure. He is, yes, but woe unto anyone who mistakes that love of fine things for something that brings weakness. He fights intoxicated, mind sharpened and pain dulled. His style is fluid and very technical, and those who've truly seen him fight describe his movements as being similar to dancing. Some have even described it as beautiful to behold. This is intentional on Azhad's part, as he is loathe to fight unless it benefits him in some way. Besides, he's always had an appreciation of majesty. Gold jewelry glinting in desert sunlight, trails of crimson silk whirling in the wind, the flashing gleam of a heavy scimitar, the fine spray of blood, the ring of clashing blades, it's all as wonderful to him as the finest of material pleasures. That sword of his can cleave through the neck of a pack animal with ease, and most shouldn't even be capable of wielding it with one hand, and certainly not capable of wielding as skillfully as he does. Though he doesn't use any dedicated armor (none of his tribe do), he's actually fairly well-protected. The many layers of fine silk and jewelry he wears do an excellent job of protecting him from arrows and knives, the two greatest threats he's likely to face back home. They're also red, which in addition to looking rather refined(in his opinion), also do an excellent job of concealing bloodstains. Those unaccustomed to the ornate clothing of a Trazbiri merchant tend to find the constant movement of fabric and shining jewelry to be a distraction, making it difficult to follow movements and predict strikes. This suits Azhad just fine, because with his blade and his skill, one strike is all it should take.

Secondary Skill(s): Pyromancy. What cannot be solved with a blade can be solved through fire. Azhad took to the art of firecrafting remarkably well, displaying an uncharacteristic level of finesse rarely seen in pyromancers. While mostly a result of his own skill, it's also rooted in his culture. The sandstorms of the Trazbir are fearsome and the winds they send howling across the dunes can stymie even the most dragon-like flames. The pyromancers of his tribe, being the most numerous after the hydromancers (water is precious, water in a desert more precious still), took a more ceremonial route. While still capable of creating infernos and great pillars of flame, they focused on the incredible versatility that pyromancy can offer. Azhad embraced the philosophy fully, even inventing some spells of his own. He uses magic for mundane uses as much as he does fantastic ones, and quite comfortably.

Personality: Azhad loves the finer things. He won't settle for anything less that absolute luxury, and is very good at getting what he wants and needs. A merchant to his core, Azhad has a mind sharper than any blade and a tongue to match. His book collection is one of the largest in the area, and he's extremely well-educated. It's a rare moment for him to be caught off-guard, even at his most relaxed. That's useful to him, because he spends a lot of time doing exactly that. If someone wasn't aware of the unrelenting cut-throat insanity of his trade, they might even call him lazy. He can be found lounging on cushions, smoking bizarre things out of ornate hookahs, listening to music and usually enjoying the company of at least one woman (or man). His expression never shifts from one of placid contentment, and his voice, while heavily accented and marking him as a Trazbiri nomad, always sounds friendly. He's not lazy, however, far from it. His enemies can say all they want about him, but they won't ever say it's a good idea to try and encroach upon anything he's involved with. He only seems lazy until he gets up and slaughters everyone in the room. He's still from Zalaju, after all, and he didn't get this far by being a fool.

He keeps to the smaller gods. Nukhu and Kaonji receive the most worship from him, for obvious reasons, but he also keeps shrines to Josina, Daynonia, Celthwe, and Azmadine.

Backstory: Azhad wasn't always staggeringly wealthy. His origins are quite humble and in his opinion, irrelevant. Being the son of a water trader is nothing to be ashamed of, but Azhad cares for the present and the future. How he got to his position , however, is worthy of explanation.

It took years to get where he is now. It started with a sack of copper coins and a rusty dagger, and Azhad clawed his way to the top through violence and guile. The Lemnon Cartels found their ships burning in the docks, Shimiti pirates found themselves bought off and directed by an anonymous donor, troll bandits were found headless and burned, markets were destroyed and rebuilt to suit some unknown purpose, and dozens found themselves working for that bizarre man in red, sometimes in chains. Azhad built an empire in the shadows, fueled by gold and greased by blood. His word is law in most parts of Zalaju, and those who don't heed it simply disappear. It's not well-known or even respected outside of his territory, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be feared. He's not giving it up, either. It doesn't matter what's going to happen, he'll see it all burn before he loses a single piece of gold.

Well. I'd say things just got a little more, well, interesting. I can't wait to see how this criminal mastermind takes to being called on such a quest. I'm sure there will be a lot of drama ahead. Look good, so he's accepted.

I'm leaving this open for a little longer for anyone who is still interested in joining, or in creating a second character. However, it's been a while now, so I'm going to go ahead and get working on getting the first post up (which should be either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how late I decide to stay up.) Keep in mind that once we get past the original introductory stage, I am going to close this to new characters. So this is a "speak now or forever hold your peace" type of warning. If you want to apply, you may want to post your character soon.

Ahem. And there is one question I'd like to pose to all the group members. As far as OOC communication goes, I want to encourage the group to talk with each other, whether those topics be related to the story or not, so I intend to create a method of communication. This will be either an OOC thread, or a private message including everyone in the group. I'd like to get your input on which method you'd prefer, so if you'd respond here to share your preference, that would be nice. And rest assured, you'll be informed once the thread is up.

Also, again, I am still intending to find a co-GM for the group. I've had a couple of responses, but I haven't made any decisions yet, so if anyone else wants to throw in a bid for that, time is of the essence there.

Ahem. I thought that would take longer than it would, so, I am proud to announce that the thread is up! You can find it here. It not only contains the IC story, but also tabs for the background information and a Q&A section, for easy access to that information. If anyone at any point has any questions, feel free to ask them in the OOC discussion, or to message me privately. I will not only answer them directly, but also add them to the Q&A list.

Would you mind another entry? Or is it too late.
I haven't finished reading through everything but I am through the intro and this sounds absolutely lovely!
So, if you'll have me I'll finish reading and then post a character.
If you'll have me?

Nope, not too late yet. No one's even responded the story thread yet, so I'm definitely not opposed to accepting a new author!

Oh wonderful! I'll read through and set up a character as soon as I can, then I'll take a peek at that thread. ;3

Have there ever been any major disasters?
Are any country leaders well known around the world?
Are there multiple big name crooks known world round?
Any historical battles in specific locations? This excludes the God War. Think smaller, battle, not war.
Any big political groups that aren't religious?
Any well known military leaders that would be famous in their country?
And to branch off the previous, any well known heroes? Either world renowned or just in their country?
Any grand tales besides the obvious one that would be known around the world?
Any specific lore besides the obvious that would be known throughout the world or even to specific countries or even cities/towns?
Are there cosmetic differences between same races that live in different locations?

I'll ask more as I think of it.
World-building is fun :D

Oh, the Seraphi.
Are their wings sprouting from their shoulder blades (or somewhere close) or are they part of their arms like bat wings?

Oh look, another interrogation. Good thing I'm getting used to this by now...

Have there ever been any major disasters?
Yup. Plenty. There always are, yeah? I didn't have any specifics in mind. But there would be the usual- earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, huge storms, etc. Not the world-ending kind of thing, but definitely pretty devastating to a particular area. If you want to include mentions of this with the characters or throughout the story, feel free to. Probably won't be too important to the plot of the story, though.

Are any country leaders well known around the world?
Heh. Yeah. The rulers are pretty well-known. Or more rather, most people have heard of them, and they all have different reputations. That's actually a chunk of this that I'm still working on building, hence why I only vaguely mentioned them in my descriptions of the different nations. Chances are very high that they may end up meeting a few of them throughout their quest (hint hint...), but I'll make sure those are more developed by then. This is still a bit of a work in progress.

Are there multiple big name crooks known world round?
No. There aren't any that are world-famous (remember, they don't exactly have television or world-wide newspapers), but there will, of course, be those that are well-known in specific areas, or perhaps in a whole country. But that's something that can be left open for y'all to make up, so if you have a crime lord in mind, feel free to suggest it.

Any historical battles in specific locations?
Well, the Temple of Light, for one (as I'm sure you've figured out if you read the starter post in the IC thread). Although technically, that battle was part of the God Wars, but it's a specific battle. In fact (as you would have found out later, but it isn't actually important to the plot, so I suppose you can get a little bit of a spoiler), that was the battle that started the God Wars. As far as super specific locations, I have less set in stone for that. However, there are certain notable regions where there have been a lot of battles fought. For one, the area between Udelle and Ironhumiir, especially along and inside Blackwood, and around the city of Tazarnes, which is a military stronghold as well as a trading city. Also, pretty much all through Ironhumiir, because the leader is chosen through military strength, so there are constantly different factions that rise up and try to take control, leading to a fair bit of civil war. The trolls are just very war-like in general. Again, because Keasia, Thelaste, and Sugudohr have been at constant war for what amounts of centuries now, there have been all kinds of battles fought across that continent, especially along the borders between the nations, which are constantly shifting depending on who exactly last claimed that land. Because of the recent war in which Maltis split off from Lemnon, there have been quite a few recent battles fought along that border as well. Especially at the city of Kwanki, because the two nations have been fighting for control of it, and it's changed hands several times. There have been some battles on Behaid as well, since every once and a while someone will decide it's a good idea to try and take them over. However, rather than fighting pitched battles, the fae inhabitants have a tendency to fade into the forest, then hit their enemies with guerrilla tactics while allowing the harsh setting weaken them. Hence why such invasions never go well. Out of all the nations, Aeria hasn't really had many battles post-God Wars, because the Cellaedrine Mountains and the volatile Stormwhite Sea keep it relatively secluded compared to other nations.

Any big political groups that aren't religious?
All of the nations have their own political leaders, and they are generally completely separate from religious institutions, although the leaders often do worship the gods of their choice.

Any well known military leaders that would be famous in their country?
Yes. Because Udelle, Ironhumiir, Keasia, Thelaste, and Sugudohr are all pretty much in a constant state of war, they all have some pretty accomplished generals that lead their respective armies and whatnot. The specifics of this, though, like the political leaders, haven't all been ironed out yet. There are important people, but they're still a work in progress.

And to branch off the previous, any well known heroes? Either world renowned or just in their country?
The closest thing to heroes in the current time period are the military leaders, as referred to in the above question. However, their are several historical heroes that are widely well-known and respected. Again, however, I'm still coming up with the specifics. For someone who doesn't have a main character, I sure have a lot of characters to put together... Maybe I'll have to pawn some of that off on my co-GM, once I pick one...

Any grand tales besides the obvious one that would be known around the world?
Not really, no. Besides the creation story and the stories of the God Wars, there aren't any world-wide ones. However, the different nations do have some of their own legends, tales of previous war heroes, etc.

Any specific lore besides the obvious that would be known throughout the world or even to specific countries or even cities/towns?
Oi! So general. How am I even supposed to answer that? Yes, different areas have their own legends, stories, etc. The specifics haven't been developed yet. Man, I have a lot of work to do now...

Are there cosmetic differences between same races that live in different locations?
I haven't come up with any specifics on this yet. But yes, there can be some minor cosmetic differences by general area, as long as they fall within the specifications of that race. Feel free to have fun on that.

Are the Seraphi's wings sprouting from their shoulder blades (or somewhere close) or are they part of their arms like bat wings?
Upper back, yes. Think more of the general angel look as far as wings go. Now, daemons may have more bat-like wings, depending on the individual. They're pretty much open to about anything appearance-wise. I kind of left them for people who want to add in non-human features that don't fit in with any of the other races.

Do bards hold any power to their voices or music?
Some can have magic that can enhance their music, or even give their audience a vision of what they're describing in the song, etc. However, training such magic takes time. So if you want a character to have such magic, it doesn't count as a specific main or secondary skill, but it would still lower their combat skills.

Back