Favorite Mythologies

d a m s e l

So pretty much every since I was young I've really enjoyed mythology, and I've been getting back into it because my mother is learning about new deities as part of her Wiccan practices. I am mainly interested in Greek/Roman mythology but I've also got a little interest in Norse/Celtic/Pacific Islander mythologies. I was wondering, is anyone around here also interested in mythology?

Yesss! I adore mythology: primarily greek and Norse as well. What would you say are some of your favourite myths in particular??

I'm always a slut for mythology. :D
I'm a fan of Greek and Norse mythos (who wouldn't be entertained with the notion of Thor in a dress?), but I have a soft spot for Pacific Islander myths. Being born in the Philippines, I've always taken an interest in precolonial legends. After all, who wouldn't be interested in a phallic medicine god?

@peachy In Norse, I think my favorite myth is probably the Death of Baldur myth, just because I think it's adorable how Frigg goes around to everything in the world to make them promise they won't kill her son.
@Fubsy my biggest soft spot is for Greek, because that's the one I've learned most about haha

[Greek mythology, if we're counting the ancient ones. Mortal heroes for the win! If we're allowing more modern ones, Cthulhu mythos is up there, too. Knowledge gets you into trouble, and learning more sort of gets you out. Good luck explaining it at the dinner table, though.]

I always loved Egyptian mythology. I don't know why, but I was obsessed with it as a kid. Pretty sure I was a mummy for Halloween just about every year.

as long as we're talking about mythologies I might as well ask everyone's opinion on Percy Jackson?

I never got into the Percy Jackson books but I do love Greek mythology, especially their version of creation in which mother earth is so badass :p.

I also enjoy mythology, especially the Norse and Greek gods and goddesses. My favorite Norse character is Fenrir!

I never really liked Percy Jackson, though.

It may seem random, but I quite like Arabic mythology, such as ghouls and similar.

I like Japan as well; a while ago, someone told me that someone built a hotel, but designed it with a hole in the middle, so a dragon who lived in the lake nearby still had a good view. I think that's pretty cool, not to mention the fact that designing a hotel that way must've been hard.

Norse:
Hel being born half-dead.
Jǫrmungandr poisoning the sky.
The corpse dragon Níðhǫggr.
Líf and Lífþrasir being all that remains of humanity.

Japanese:
Izanami burning to death in childbirth.
Izanagi attempting to get his wife back.
Susanoo slaying the eight-forked Orochi.

Greek:
Prometheus.
Persephone getting stuck in hell.
Hera throwing Hephaestus off Mount Olympus.
Heracles' 12 Labors.
Zeus defeating Typhon.
The Golden Fleece.
Kronos castrating Ouranos.

Babylonian:
Apsu getting "killed" (put into a coma) by Enki.

I never properly got into mythology (though I am very interested in Anglo-Saxon and Welsh legend) beyond having a little book of illustrated Greek myths written for children. The one I remember most is the one about Minerva and Arachne because whilst a lot of myths in the little storybook seemed centred around men, this one was about women and that was where I could relate. The other one I really remember was Pandora, mostly because the illustration of when she opened the box in the book was really gorgeous - you went from these light yellows and browns to shades of purple and scarlet, and then when she closed the box the colour scheme went back to normal, except in the background you could see Prometheus's humans suffering.

My brother's just finished a degree in Ancient Greek and Roman History, so he could go into a lot more depth than me.

I'm a sucker for pretty much any type of myth, my favorite book from 2nd to 6th grade was "The Illustrated Book of Myths" that was in the school library but really beaten up because kids kept taking pieces out of it, I miss that book. It got me into mythology.

Norse mythology is one of my favorites, I used to hate Thor in Marvel because I had lore I wanted to protect. I think my favorite stories are always "Loki decides to try to trick someone or play a prank; does not go well; Loki tries to get out of trouble and makes the situation worse, Loki is threatened with death or dismemberment; Loki finds some way to fix everything." I think my favorite was when he turned into a mare, lured a stallion into a forest, and returned with the 8 legged one. I can't spell his name right now.

I love Japanese mythology too, my love of it got even stronger when I read Storm Dancer.

Greek and Roman is always great, I like Percy Jackson as well. It's not really great but it's so accessible and easy to read that I enjoy it.

The mythology from the pre European South American kingdoms are awesome too, I remember one story in which two brothers play the Aztec equivalent of basketball against the gods of death. One of them gets decapitated by a bat. His head reattaches. There are owls with knives. Perfect.

Annnnd I just found my childhood in book form... http://www.discoverbooks.com/Produc...D1qbINrT0yzA51iQStu4UuztXVLHZ-dxoCTG8QAvD_BwE

I'm a sucker for pretty much any type of myth, my favorite book from 2nd to 6th grade was "The Illustrated Book of Myths" that was in the school library but really beaten up because kids kept taking pieces out of it, I miss that book. It got me into mythology.

Norse mythology is one of my favorites, I used to hate Thor in Marvel because I had lore I wanted to protect. I think my favorite stories are always "Loki decides to try to trick someone or play a prank; does not go well; Loki tries to get out of trouble and makes the situation worse, Loki is threatened with death or dismemberment; Loki finds some way to fix everything." I think my favorite was when he turned into a mare, lured a stallion into a forest, and returned with the 8 legged one. I can't spell his name right now.

I love Japanese mythology too, my love of it got even stronger when I read Storm Dancer.

Greek and Roman is always great, I like Percy Jackson as well. It's not really great but it's so accessible and easy to read that I enjoy it.

The mythology from the pre European South American kingdoms are awesome too, I remember one story in which two brothers play the Aztec equivalent of basketball against the gods of death. One of them gets decapitated by a bat. His head reattaches. There are owls with knives. Perfect.

Annnnd I just found my childhood in book form... http://www.discoverbooks.com/Produc...D1qbINrT0yzA51iQStu4UuztXVLHZ-dxoCTG8QAvD_BwE
I just bought said book. Eight years late but better late than never.

I am most familiar with Greek mythology, since that is most popular right now, but I enjoy reading about Norse as well. Learning about the legends from any culture is interesting for me.

Back