Favorite skills/abilitys/powers in fiction?

IItNeverGetsBetterThanThis

Approximately 4 bees in 1 barrel
Whatever floats your goat works on this one. Give as much detail as you like.

I'm rather fond of matter/reality manipulation. Changing how an item works, like making clouds dense or out of dirt but still float, it always sorta makes me think of the possibilities of the character who uses it. If they please, they can make you weigh just a little too much, making it impossible for you to jump or run, or they can make you float into the sky because they turn off your gravity. Its freaky and cool.

I have to mention The Force since it's pretty much the first fictional power I was ever introduced to. I love how many skills it provides to those who have a strong affinity towards it, from moving objects to mind tricks to creating some cool lightning.

I also really like the ability to see the future in the game Xenoblade. The main protagonist, Shulk, gets visions of the future that he can use to his advantage. In battles, it's usually just used to warn the player of a potentially fatal attack, but I think it's really cool that it gives a way to counter these attacks and it's really satisfying to save your party members at the last second.

The ability to know the answer to any question is great when the question is how can I kick your ass without getting hurt.

The ability to turn parts of your body into sodium is a great way to make exploding arms which is pretty useful when you can regenerate.

You can kill pretty much anybody with the ability to make puppies anywhere and dust-sized telekinesis is pretty powerful if you want to give people aneurysms.

Being good at numbers is also cool

The ability to know the answer to any question is great when the question is how can I kick your ass without getting hurt.

The ability to turn parts of your body into sodium is a great way to make exploding arms which is pretty useful when you can regenerate.

You can kill pretty much anybody with the ability to make puppies anywhere and dust-sized telekinesis is pretty powerful if you want to give people aneurysms.

Being good at numbers is also cool
Creative abilities. Nice.

Ahh I also forgot getting stronger as you take more damage and seeing five seconds in the future also being able to sap small amounts of strength from people making you stronger the more people are nearby

I like superhuman observation/analysis abilities such as those characters of a Sherlock legacy might possess. TVTropes calls it Awesome By Analysis.

I also like superspeed. It's unfortunate that it requires other abilities to ignore the normal physics, but it's still fun.

I love the concept of kinetic charging. The power is usually associated with Gambit and it's what causes what he touches to explode by putting kinetic energy into it. Cool concept to let you turn anything into a weapon.

In SCP Containment Breach, it's canon that the main character is able to die, and do things over while retaining the memories he got after saving the game, and before dying in game. Since that's the case, to others in the game, he's seen as an impossibly intelligent person that does everything absolutely perfectly, even if what should have killed him caused him nothing but a small inconvenience. But in reality, the player has just been dying, and reloading their save file for the past week trying to get to the end of the game.

Isn't that just the same thing with undertale? I mean I do know about the main character getting assigned as an SCP in one of the endings
Yep. In Undertale, Frisk makes dozens, if not hundreds of different universes by exploiting their SAVE ability. But unlike SCP, people like Sans know why he/she never loses a fight.

A jojo stand that as a perfect / "tracking and delivery" ability, making its user move with perfect speed, precision, strength and timing to find, reach and deliver anything the users thinks about! I call it "Pathfinder"

I think I am a bit weird when it comes to superpowers. I love watching the fights, but when it comes to roleplay, I don't like the use of superpowers. I have browsed a bit of characters in here and I don't think people realize how easy it is to make a character overpowered. And not even on purpose. Here is an example. I saw a character with the power to change the way an enemy perceives reality. That is a deadly skill and only an ad hoc power can give the opponent a chance to survive. Having said that, I believe that the one power that I really liked a lot was the ability to communicate with animals, because I think that knowledge is always key, and the possibilities that such power grants in terms of intel gathering are priceless. Once you can prepare in advance, very few powers will intimidate you.

personally, i appreciate telepathy. i consider that level of control over the mind incredible. if someone was capable of reading and controlling minds in reality, imagine all the power they could gain through commanding world leaders. even without trying to take over the world, it would mean that you'd never have to distrust anyone ever again. i'm sure that would appeal to many people. you could avoid so much heartache and stress through simply being able to look into someone's mind and know everything about them. it would give you so much power over the mental state of others as well, assuming that you could use it appropriately. you could help and hinder others depending on your will. if there was someone else with superpowers in the world, you would find them before they found you and you could use them. as long as the individual in question is cunning enough to be one step ahead of everyone else, they could probably just take control of the entire world while retaining complete anonymity. yet they could also solve so many problems for the world. it's not the most flashy power ever, but it appeals to me.

personally, i appreciate telepathy. i consider that level of control over the mind incredible. if someone was capable of reading and controlling minds in reality, imagine all the power they could gain through commanding world leaders. even without trying to take over the world, it would mean that you'd never have to distrust anyone ever again. i'm sure that would appeal to many people. you could avoid so much heartache and stress through simply being able to look into someone's mind and know everything about them. it would give you so much power over the mental state of others as well, assuming that you could use it appropriately. you could help and hinder others depending on your will. if there was someone else with superpowers in the world, you would find them before they found you and you could use them. as long as the individual in question is cunning enough to be one step ahead of everyone else, they could probably just take control of the entire world while retaining complete anonymity. yet they could also solve so many problems for the world. it's not the most flashy power ever, but it appeals to me.
You are mixing up telepathy, mind reading and mind control. But yeah, those 3 combined are extremely powerful, and very hard ro beat. First one would have to figure out that you have them, and then figure out how to deal with them. They would probably make you a god if used properly.

You are mixing up telepathy, mind reading and mind control. But yeah, those 3 combined are extremely powerful, and very hard ro beat. First one would have to figure out that you have them, and then figure out how to deal with them. They would probably make you a god if used properly.

i agree that i am mixing up mind control with telepathy, as that's usually included in a package along with it. but i'd say that mind-reading is a part of telepathy, as telepathy is communicating using one's brain. when communicating brain to brain, information from another brain is being shared with you. if telepathy wasn't partially the ability to know what others are thinking, it'd probably be far less useful xD

i agree that i am mixing up mind control with telepathy, as that's usually included in a package along with it. but i'd say that mind-reading is a part of telepathy, as telepathy is communicating using one's brain. when communicating brain to brain, information from another brain is being shared with you. if telepathy wasn't partially the ability to know what others are thinking, it'd probably be far less useful xD
Yup you are correct. It's just the programmer in me. First I thought that sending messages and reading data are two different things. Then I thought that telepathy is really just like opening a channel between two brains. Aside from being more useful, it makes it more interesting. Just imagine the possibilities and the dangers. If you open a channel between you and someone else, you must be careful not to 'leak' anything to tge other person. And if the other person is also a telepath...well things could get interesting. :D

BlazBlue:
Soul Melting
Ability to Summon Swords

Star Wars:
Force Lightning
Telekinesis

A Certain:
Control over Electromagnetism

Fate:
Ability to Summon Swords

RWBY:
Speed
Pyrokinesis
Control over Magnetism

Code Geass:
Absolute Command
Resurrective Immortality
Stopping Others' Perception of Time

Camp Half-Blood:
Flight
Hydrokinesis
Pyrokinesis

Kotoura-san:
Telepathy

Hm, my preference would totally be teleportation. Why? Because it's hilarious in fiction, especially if the character that has it is a prankster.

Back