New User Good Morning!

illirica

Hello!

I'm new here on the site, but I've been doing forum-based roleplays for a long time. I love writing with other creative people - especially because while I really enjoy character building and plot development, I tend to struggle with worldbuilding - so it's really awesome when other people let me come play in their sandboxes.

I'm currently also an active member of another RP forum, and while I really love all my friends there, a lot of them are moving on to new parts of their lives and having less time for writing. I'm happy for them, but also looking for another bonus forum where I can do some more writing in addition.

I like fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural, superheroes, and pretty much anything that's not real-world. I prefer more free-form RP as opposed to dice-based gaming. I've done play-by-post DND before and it's fine but not really my vibe. I'm generally pretty amenable to joining things, though, so if you're looking for someone to join a thing and hit me up, I can promise I'll at least take a look.

I also really like playing with forum codes because I am just a little bit crazy - but I'm happy to help people develop code they like if they want, if they're enabled here. I'm not a super genius, but I have fun with it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, and I'll probably be hopping onto discord as well. See you around!

-illirica

Hello and welcome to our corner of the internet! I hope you find what you're looking for here.

You know how to code, huh? That is awesome! I used to know a little bit, but then after not using it for a while, it's all left my head. That is a cool skill to have.

I'm quite a fan of free-form RP, myself. What sort of storylines do you like to follow? Anything in particular, or are you more character-focused?

I wouldn't say I really know how to code, I can do a little bit with bbcode, but any real computer programming is beyond me. Mostly I make very pretty borders for my character sheets.

I would say I'm very much a character-focused person, I like a lot of different types of storylines. As far as a few things that I really enjoy, I like stories where we get to see the characters grow and develop over the course of the story - whether that's growth in terms of abilities or growth as a person or both. I definitely favor starting off relatively incompetent though, because there's so much more room to grow.

I also really like writing non-romance relationships with characters, like teacher/student relationships or characters who are siblings or found-family situations.

Hey, that's more coding than I can do, that's for sure! :D

Found-family is one of my all-time favorite troupes. I'm not opposed to romantic relationships, and I can enjoy those ones quite a bit, but my favorite have always been more along the non-romantic lines.

Are you the type to reuse characters, or do you develop a new character for every RP? Or nearly every RP? (I'm very much the second one.)

Hello there illirica!

Welcome to Storyteller's Circle! Your list of likes actually coincides pretty well with our Nexus sandbox RP, and I happen to be running a story there that regretfully lost some folks and is nearing a story beat where new characters are going to be added; there's still room for another player if it happens to be your kind of thing. You can read more about both the Nexus for the sandbox itself, and RAM;ROS my RP within it. (Link to the writing itself Here.

I also really like playing with forum codes because I am just a little bit crazy - but I'm happy to help people develop code they like if they want, if they're enabled here. I'm not a super genius, but I have fun with it.

I look forward to what madness you can do! Currently, the editor supports markdown and bbCode. HTML is possible but limited to admins; there's nothing stock to handle isolating/forcing unique class names that people won't trip over one another and I would need to custom develop something for it.

Edit: If there's any specific bbCodes you're used to and you can explain them/point me to an example of another site implementing them, I can also add them here!

I'm currently also an active member of another RP forum, and while I really love all my friends there, a lot of them are moving on to new parts of their lives and having less time for writing. I'm happy for them, but also looking for another bonus forum where I can do some more writing in addition.

I myself am a member in a few other writing groups as well. Never a bad thing to have more places to spend creativity, and I am glad you have chosen STC to do so!

Last edited:
Hey, that's more coding than I can do, that's for sure! :D

Found-family is one of my all-time favorite troupes. I'm not opposed to romantic relationships, and I can enjoy those ones quite a bit, but my favorite have always been more along the non-romantic lines.

Are you the type to reuse characters, or do you develop a new character for every RP? Or nearly every RP? (I'm very much the second one.)

I'm the same way - romantic relationships are fine, but I really like those extra interpersonal relationships.

I almost always develop new characters for every RP. Sometimes I will re-adapt a character that I made for something that never quite got off the ground, but I tend to be the type where a lot of my character development is influenced by the world around them, so often I find my old characters just don't fit well into the new stories, and rather than try to force them in where they don't belong, I'm better off trying again with someone new.

Hello there illirica!

Welcome to Storyteller's Circle! Your list of likes actually coincides pretty well with our Nexus sandbox RP, and I happen to be running a story there that regretfully lost some folks and is nearing a story beat where new characters are going to be added; there's still room for another player if it happens to be your kind of thing. You can read more about both the Nexus for the sandbox itself, and RAM;ROS my RP within it. (Link to the writing itself Here.

I look forward to what madness you can do! Currently, the editor supports markdown and bbCode. HTML is possible but limited to admins; there's nothing stock to handle isolating/forcing unique class names that people won't trip over one another and I would need to custom develop something for it.

Edit: If there's any specific bbCodes you're used to and you can explain them/point me to an example of another site implementing them, I can also add them here!

I myself am a member in a few other writing groups as well. Never a bad thing to have more places to spend creativity, and I am glad you have chosen STC to do so!

I will definitely check out Nexus! How long is it going to be before you get to that point where new characters are being added? I can be flexible on that, I'm just wondering if this is a "you have 17 minutes, go" situation or more a matter of days / weeks.

As far as codes, do you know if we've got div enabled here? Most of what I do is with div and grids (I am a sucker for a good grid). I also wasn't sure if codes were fully enabled for new members or if you had to get to the "oh you're an actual human who wants to be here and not a robot underling trying to sell me timeshares on a vacation home" stage of membership.

s far as codes, do you know if we've got div enabled here? Most of what I do is with div and grids (I am a sucker for a good grid).
Not through bbCode, so I will get work on getting them in through bbCode wrappers. They would be available in HTML, <div>, but that has the aforementioned admin lock.

I can be flexible on that, I'm just wondering if this is a "you have 17 minutes, go" situation or more a matter of days / weeks.
Realistically, at least 2-3 weeks to account for everyone's IRL.

Narratively, I'm about to explosively put the pin on the "prologue" of RAM;ROS first 8 pages, and soon after the dust settles, it'll "ripple" and new characters come in. Can't say more or spoilers :p

Nice! Nexus looks really neat so far, I’ll read along while I work on my character stuff. 2-3 weeks is plenty of time to get it all figured out.

The site’s pretty locked down as far as code goes, which is no problem. I’m here to write, aesthetics are just a bonus.

The site’s pretty locked down as far as code goes, which is no problem. I’m here to write, aesthetics are just a bonus.

Locked down is the farthest thing I want anyone to think. HTML is only blocked because if I put all of my pretty customization under a class named postaesthetics and someone does the same—more realistically, whatever the most popular online html text editor generator may name them by default—further down the same page...my browser will instead show my post as they defined it for HTML. This is a limitation that is a annoyingly hard-coded into the current version of our forum software.

But!

I have no issues adding in more functions through bbCode. I never have. Not many have told me how or what they'd like to see is as far as the editor, bbCodes, and other custom stuff is. I put what I imagine personally, or what seems to me to be the minimum something should have. But I am ever happy to add more. It's to be seen as Storyteller*s' Circle after all, as opposed to the Storyteller's*

(Wait...oh my god...there's a typo...there's been...oh god my staff...I wasn't clear eno--Ahem. Ignore me as my world implodes, I have a lot of pages to edit.)

Here at Storytellers' Circle (A Circle for Storytellers), I value the opinions of all the members even if I'm the one holding the responsibility and any liability.

Back