Greetings!

loverlee

Guardian of the Forest
Hi! This is Amelie (not my real name lol)

I'm new to RP but I've been interested for a while, so I thought I would give this site a chance! I read/write a lot but I'm not entirely sure how roleplaying works... I figured the only way I can really learn is from experience!

If you have any advice for a total newcomer, please share!

Hey Amelie, welcome to Storyteller's Circle! I'm glad you chosen us as your place to begin your adventure into the wonderful world of roleplaying. Experience is definitely the best teacher, and in here you'll also find plenty of folks willing to share their own nuggets of wisdom earned throughout the years.

One of the best advice I can think of for a fledgling roleplayer is don't be afraid to make mistakes. That's how we learn, and a lot of beginners tend to feel down about the fact that they're not perfect from the get go.

Another is to begin with what you like best, and then don't shy away from trying out new things. So in that vein, what kind of genres do you think would appeal to you? Let us know and we'll see if we can't find you a roleplay or some partners to get you started in your new adventure!

The best way I can describe forum role playing would be you're basically writing a book, but you only control part of the world and some of the characters involved. The rest are controlled by other writers, so you and your group of writers have to work together to create a dynamic and interesting world.

Should note though, that's just one type of roleplaying, and the kind this site tends to support (currently, there's work on expansion).
So it's important to know coming in that this is a different kind of roleplay than your "People at a table with dice" or "People in costumes swinging foam swords" type of roleplay.

Hey Amelie, welcome to Storyteller's Circle! I'm glad you chosen us as your place to begin your adventure into the wonderful world of roleplaying. Experience is definitely the best teacher, and in here you'll also find plenty of folks willing to share their own nuggets of wisdom earned throughout the years.

One of the best advice I can think of for a fledgling roleplayer is don't be afraid to make mistakes. That's how we learn, and a lot of beginners tend to feel down about the fact that they're not perfect from the get go.

Another is to begin with what you like best, and then don't shy away from trying out new things. So in that vein, what kind of genres do you think would appeal to you? Let us know and we'll see if we can't find you a roleplay or some partners to get you started in your new adventure!

I want to post something on a thread (a character) but the page says I have insufficient privileges? What does this mean?

I want to post something on a thread (a character) but the page says I have insufficient privileges? What does this mean?

It probably means @Tiko hasn't approved your account yet.
All newcomers to this site get manually approved through the intro thread so that we have a good understanding of whose on the site and make sure no one falls through the cracks going without help and/or some sort of guide.

Back