New User Hello, World!

inkdragon

Understandably Confused
Hey, everyone!

My name's Rae, 19, going to be a junior in college next year (yikes!) in chemistry. So I'm not really sure how this site works, forgive any rookie mistakes, but I'm excited to learn and start writing with y'all. I've been playing tabletop games for years, mostly DnD 5e, and I have a little bit of experience with play by post style roleplay. Right now, my Pathfinder group is on break for the summer, and I think I'm going through a bit of creativity withdrawal, haha, so I decided to make an account here.

I'm not real shy, to be honest, and I love making new friends, so come say hi! :) Can't wait to get started.

Oh look, a fellow soul who drifted here when their Pathfinder group went on hiatus. I got a couple questions for ya then, just to break the ice.

What was your favorite moment while playing D&D?

Do you prefer 1x1's, or group roleplays?

What are your favorite genres to roleplay?

And before I forget, welcome to Storyteller's Circle.

I need to roleplay! The hiatus... it HURTS! Haha, nice to meet you!

Favorite DnD moment, oh jeez. So many to pick from. Tabletop games truly are... an experience, let's put it that way. Well, it isn't a funny story, but I'll go with the time I introduced my family to the game. I have three younger siblings, and I sat them and my mom down, gave them pre-made character sheets, and told them they were gonna love it, just bear with me. They all fell in love, and now I know that when I go home, I gotta have at least a quick one-shot in mind for them, because my littlest sister WILL ask to play! Was actually my first time as DM, too, come to think of it.

Come to think of it... I've never seriously done a 1x1 before, to be honest. Most of my roleplay experience has been with in-person groups, I'm pretty new to the forum setup. I played a play by post group game on Roll20 once, but it fell apart pretty fast. It's something I may want to try here.

And as for genre, I'm a fantasy addict - always have been, always will be. I also love sci-fi and horror, but Tolkien-esque worlds with dragons and elves and firey volcanoes are my happy place. :)

What about you, then? You said you played Pathfinder, is that your go-to? And by the way, I love the quote in your signature!

I started on 3.5, and had a lot of fun, but discovered pathfinder sometime later, and migrated to that instead, and stuck there. I tried 5e, but its almost too streamlined in terms of gameplay to be too interesting. I mostly host games with friends, and havent done any public GMing over roll 20 yet. My favorite moment was probably running a cyberpunk Pathfinder campaign, and watching a pair of guys try to bluff their way out of a maximum security prison, and failing horribly.

"Why is there blood on your uniform, soldier, and why are you transporting this prisoner?" -Guard to Player, dressed in a stolen uniform.
"Oh, I, uh, spilled some ketchup at lunch, and, uh, I'm moving him to a higher security cell on a lower level." -Player to guard, while already standing on the lowest cell level possible.

A lot like you, I only ever did group RPs, and at one point passed up hosting one because I only ever got 2 other folks, and wanted more. Nowadays, due to too many people passing in and out and crashing the group entirely, I'm starting to prefer 1x1 games.

For genre, we're pretty close. Fantasy has always been and always will be a favorite, but I really love sci-fi (the quote came from one of the sci-fi books I read), particularly cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic. I'm slowly growing on supernatural, horror, and crime, as well.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you as well. If you ever want to do a 1x1 RP, or need some other info about the site, let me know!

PS: The approval process starts once you've made 5-10 posts in the forums, and then gets you approved within 24 hours. Try to meet as many people as possible!

5e is a lot less in-depth than 3.5 and Pathfinder, which I think are pretty similar. I think it's a good system for beginners, though. At least, it's what I started on, and that felt complicated enough at the time. I can't imagine trying to jump straight into Pathfinder, I find its rules way more complex. It's more rewarding, in a way, but also more daunting.

I've been getting into the supernatural/horror genre on the whole more since I started watching the show Supernatural a couple months ago. I'm only on season three, and it's good so far, but I've heard it kinda starts to fall apart as it goes on, and now it's one of those shows limping along waiting for the network to put it out of its misery. But yeah, totally- we should do a 1x1 sometime! I get what you mean about people ghosting, that was why the game I joined on Roll20 fell apart. Kinda sucks, but what're you gonna do. Sorta thought this whole approval process would curb that a bit... guess not, then?

For me, I enjoy pathfinder just as much for the roleplaying as the gameplay. My favorite build lets you hit over 100 times per round in the right situation, which is pretty funny and pretty aggravating at the same time. Great Cleave, Improved Cleaving Finish, Polearm Master and just stacking reach, in case you're curious. Nothing like decimating a crowd all bunched together with a single string of attacks.

The approval process helps quite a bit, I think. It can be a real turn off for some. Theres quite a few who never bother getting through the approval process, or leave shortly after getting approved. People tend to stick around once they join, honestly. People will just disappear sometimes with no warning, and forget about the site, but that's life, I guess. Generally, you'll get a pretty good string going, and then someone drops out half way. It's pretty disappointing. Anywho, if you have any plot ideas, send me a PM, and we can get it all worked out!

Hey, there we go, approved! I don't have any fleshed-out plot ideas, per-se, but I have a ton of characters I've never actually gotten to really use. I'll send you a PM, we can figure something between the two of us, I'm sure.

Back