New User Hopefully my first impression is decent

GlowingEffie

I am GlowingEffie. This is my first time roleplaying and I'm a bit worried I may screw up in any way (in fact I'm praying to god I won't screw up, even though I'm not religious). I am a procrastinator unfortunately. I take pleasure in drawing and writing.

I am a fan of Steven Universe, Berserk (though I get most of my information of it from the internet rather than reading the actual manga, thanks to being too lazy to read), and Silmarillion (also the same case as Berserk).

That's great!

Yup, yup! I can't think of any 'downer' experience I've had so far on this site. Everybody I've spoken to has gone above and beyond in being polite and courteous. You can't ask for a better environment than that. Hope you have a good time here as well.

Just out curiosity, what's your favorite SU character? (I only finished season 3 and am a bit into Season 4)

Hm, design wise I'd probably say Blue Diamond.

As a character, I'd totally say Lapis without a doubt.

watch

She represents the person who got mixed up in a conflict she had no horse in and ended up paying the price for it. Not so much these days with the draft gone but for earlier wars like Vietnam and the like and even wars across the world, you'll always have the person who's just trying to live their life while everything goes to hell around them. In a show that's surprisingly deep for a show on Cartoon Network, they really hammered home Lapis as a good character.

My favorite is Amethyst. I relate to her as I do goof a lot (though not to intolerable levels) and I can be a bit immature. But sometimes I feel like an outcast, especially in my younger days.

that's why I like SU. It manages to handle difficult topics in a nuanced way. Not to mention it's 'bingable'

Pearl is another interesting character in that you have the soldier who fell in love with her commander. Something that I'm sure happens a lot in real life but must be kept hush-hush so as not to seem like the commander is playing favorites. Something Pearl tries to subvert by being reckless and charging literal groups of enemies.

All to try and seem more valuable and important in Rose's eyes.

I felt a bit bad for Pearl. Just imagine if you go to various lengths to get someone to love you only to have them love someone else. I felt Rose wouldn't have died if she loved Pearl in return, but hey, where would be Steven?

My favorite is Amethyst. I relate to her as I do goof a lot (though not to intolerable levels) and I can be a bit immature. But sometimes I feel like an outcast, especially in my younger days.

I can see that. I think if I had to see myself in any of the characters it'd probably be Sadie? In real life I often get so overwhelmed by people telling me what I'm gonna do instead of going and doing what I want. But I have a naturally laid back/submissive attitude so I try not to complain too much and keep it tucked away inside. But someday, sooner or later, it's gonna just EXPLODE.

On that same note, unlike Sadie, I can't sing to save my life. Though I used to do pretty decent as the vocalist/singer in Rockband, so there's that? Eh?

I think all of us can echo the outcast thing, at least for one point or another in life. I know I felt like that for years until eventually I grew/felt more accepted as high school and college went on. These days at my place of employment, my co-workers/managers don't discriminate and are as kind and helpful as you can get. It's something that helps keep me stable on days where I feel like I'm a piece of shit.

I felt a bit bad for Pearl. Just imagine if you go to various lengths to get someone to love you only to have them love someone else. I felt Rose wouldn't have died if she loved Pearl in return, but hey, where would be Steven?

I think Pearl was so enraptured by the idea that eventually after hard work and dedication, she'd have Rose eating out of the palm of her hand and they'd be together not just as soldier-commander but as lovers too.

So much so that when potential rivals like Greg showed up, she acted completely rude and bitter although Greg had done nothing to deserve it. It's something again I think the audience can relate to. Having somebody like the same person you do and acting like a total jerk to that other person who likes them even if they've not wronged you personally. I'm not ashamed to admit I've done that but I like to think I've grown past such behavior and have moved forward. >: )

Seeing that you were a decent singer at one point, with a bit of practice, you may be able to sing to save my life. I'm pretty confident in my singing abilities even if it would get me eliminated in the first round of American Idol.

Yeah, I sometimes don't like when people tell me what to do, especially when it feels as if they are treating me like a baby. That was how some of my classmates would treat me back at third-sixth grade (sometimes, they'll treat me as if I was a dog (not in a bad way, but they treat me as if I was a dog and not a human) And that was one of the reasons I felt like an outcast since they don't do these things to their friends

I think Pearl was so enraptured by the idea that eventually after hard work and dedication, she'd have Rose eating out of the palm of her hand and they'd be together not just as soldier-commander but as lovers too.

So much so that when potential rivals like Greg showed up, she acted completely rude and bitter although Greg had done nothing to deserve it. It's something again I think the audience can relate to. Having somebody like the same person you do and acting like a total jerk to that other person who likes them even if they've not wronged you personally. I'm not ashamed to admit I've done that but I like to think I've grown past such behavior and have moved forward. >: )

Yeah, oh dear jealously. dear jealously.

But it also shows how infectious humanity as a whole is. We can get jealous, angry, and vengeful over the most minor of things in the grand scheme of things/how it effects our lives. Pearl never acted like she did before Greg showed up. But when he did, she-much like the humans she looks down upon(and with the exception of Steven, she DOES see humans as lesser but in a far less indignant/villainous way than say the Homeworld gems do.) fell into the same trappings that humans often do and began 'competing' with Greg for Rose.

Seeing that you were a decent singer at one point, with a bit of practice, you may be able to sing to save my life. I'm pretty confident in my singing abilities even if it would get me eliminated in the first round of American Idol.

Hah! It's been years since then and I'm sure I still have some embarrassing Youtube videos of my attempts at singing somewhere. But thanks for the kind words, Glow. It means a lot.

And that was one of the reasons I felt like an outcast since they don't do these things to their friends

Well, so far as I'm concerned, you're not an outcast. At least not in my eyes.

Yeah, oh dear jealously. dear jealously.

Jealous and a perceived 'rival' on top of poor impulse control(thanks ADHD) does not usually lead to good decisions. Instead, it lead to ruined friendships, guilt that'll linger with me for as long as I live(not in a 'oh woe is me sense' but rather 'I'll always remember this so I know how to avoid acting like this in the future.'

The fact that some people have stuck around and still remained friends of mine is almost mind-boggling. But the truth of it is that they saw what a mistake I made, how I regretted it, and how I'm trying to move forward despite it. I may not be a sociologist but I eventually got there and figured it out. ; )

Back