How Green Becomes Wood

"Well... I love eating outside with my flowers," Daizi said slowly, straightening up from petting the dog and rubbing her back with one hand, "but it is hot today, and I feel very sweaty just from walking from the train station to the cab, and from the cab from here. Although... I may just find it hot because of," She waved her hand, everything I'm going through. Both sets of chairs are equally comfortable, I think. But you can always ask your guest her opinion. Some people hate eating outdoors."

Gently Daizi moved past them and went into the kitchen for a glass of water, and then sat down on one of the stools, "Should I change? Do I need to? Do you want me to?" She felt a bit ragged, and like she had already said, sweaty (and immensely grateful she had not conceived slightly earlier, because the thought of being in her third trimester, rather than nearing the end of her second, seemed absolutely dreadful), and if she looked a mess, she would change... But even though it had been proved to her they made maternity clothes in styles she agreed with, her belly grew and her interest in getting dressed and deciding on what to wear diminished at equal rates. Still... even though she didn't look a mess, if they wanted her in a specifc colour or style, she would oblige. At present, she was simply wearing a light blue sun dress with her long hair loose and slightly windblown.

"I think you look lovely, Daizi, but maybe a little flushed," Alec said worriedly. "Maybe a nice, cool cloth to the cheeks, a bit of a rest, and then you will be perfect! I like the color of your dress."

"Considering how fussy Aunt Ciara seems, I bet she'd pick inside, but she might surprise us," Xander mused. He checked the time. "She should be here soon, too."

"Oh, I can handle flushed," She replied, gesturing casually, "if anyone begrudges me that presently, they're just unkind. I'll be okay, and if she'll be here soon, I'd rather be caught a bit red than looking silly wiping my face. I'll be settled presently."

"I think you look lovely, darling," Dark murmured from the entryway to the kitchen. It wasn't as bad as he had feared--most people would see it as very clean. He had, as planned, changed his tie to be the proper colour, "I am glad you made it here before she did."

"Oh me too," Daizi agreed, finishing her water. She would have gotten up to put the cup in the dishwasher, but Dark made her stay and brought it there himself, "I would have felt silly arriving after my guest."

"Well, now all we have to do, I suppose, is wait for her to arrive."

"Did I get all the cups?" Alec worried. "I think I did. The water's cold. And there's lemonade. And-"

"Cool it, you're sounding like someone else we know," Xander said, bumping his shoulder lightly. "The place is so clean even Enkidu is gleaming, the food is just about ready, and we got all the eating supplies we need. It's going to be fine. If not, then it'll be her own fault for being picky."

"You have an amazing ability for pep talks," Alec said dryly. Then froze as the doorbell rang.

Ciara Cunningham stood on the front porch in a three-piece suit with a skirt and a shirt so white it made fresh snow look dirty. A string of black pearls hung around her neck, and her dark red hair was tied up in a perfect bun with not a single hair escaping. She held only her purse, a slim, black affair that went neatly with her simple black heels. She looked more like she was either going to a funeral or about to present evidence in court as a lawyer than going to a small party.

When the doorbell rang, Daizi turned towards the door, while Dark stood up to answer it. It seemed only fitting, somehow. There was no way he was having Daizi get up to do it, and with someone as formal as Ciara, who else would get it but the most formal one of their household?

He opened the door, himself in his own three-piece suit, or, what would have been a three-piece suit, if he wore the jacket, but with the July weather, he kept it to a dark grey dress shirt, a black vest, and deep violet tie, "Hello, Ciara," he greeted her kindly, extending his hand to shake, but he was never a man who exuded warmth unless he was known well, "Please, come in. Daizi and the twins are in the kitchen. We put our dog upstairs."

Last edited:
Ciara accepted the handshake with a firm, brief one of her own and a polite, formal smile. "Thank you, Mr. Dark. I left the cake in the car so I would not have to juggle it while trying to announce my presence. If you do not mind holding the door for just a moment?" She stepped back and went to her car, a small black model, and retrieved a large box from the back. It was big enough and awkward enough she had to use both hands to properly stabilize it and carry it back up the walk and through the door where she paused in the entryway.

"Aunt Ciara! You're right on time," Alec greeted her, joy and sincerity in his voice as he hurried forward. "Here, let me take that for you. Is it alright on the counter, or should I put it in the fridge?"

"The refrigerator would be best, yes, thank you, Alec," she replied, surrendering the box to him. She nearly stepped forward and then stopped herself. Carefully, she touched the salt, rubbing just a few grains between her fingers. She hesitated a little longer.

Xander slouched against the wall, watching her. "Mr. Dark scrubbed the floors until they were cleaner than the plates we're going to eat off of," he said dryly. "You really that worried about it?"

Ciara's lips tightened, but she seemed to take his words as a challenge and cautiously slipped off her heels, walking forward with mincing steps as if waiting to step on something unpleasant.

Dark gladly held the door open for her and waited while Ciara went to her car and came back with the cake. It occurred to him how if they knew each other better, he would have invited her in and offered to get the cake himself, but since they didn't, he watched her get it herself. With how much he had taken over for Daizi, even little things like that, it felt a bit uncomfortable to let Ciara bring it herself. Watching her take a few awkward steps without her shoes on, he said, "These two will continue to assure you I take cleanliness very seriously," but even with his subtle emotions, the appreciation in his voice was evident.

"These three," Daizi corrected, "and I've known him longest. He was their age and stressing about what the best cleaning solutions are." She carefully rose to her feet, no longer quite able to hop lightly to them like she used to. At least, not at the end of the day, but her smile was as bright and welcoming as ever, "Hi, Ciara. It's lovely to have you visit again. I hope you enjoyed the currant berries."

Last edited:
The faintest blush touched Ciara's cheeks, as if she was embarrassed, but her expression didn't change. She turned her attention to Daizi and smiled politely. "The current berries were absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing them. I greatly appreciate it, and whatever is cooking smells delicious."

"Xander made it, and I actually helped," Alec told her proudly. "I'm not very good in the kitchen. However, we do need you to answer one question: do you prefer indoors or out of doors for eating?"

Ciara looked faintly surprised by the question. "Eating out of doors is a nice change now and then, provided one is not seated on the ground and the wind is not too strong," she said slowly.

"There's hardly any wind at all, so I guess that means we eat outside!" Xander stated.

"I'll get the table set," Alec said, trotting off with Xander at his heels. "It's so good you could make it!"

"Don't worry, we definitely have a table and chairs out there, and a wonderful patio, so if you are uncomfortable being barefoot outside, you are more than welcome to bring your shoes with you," Daizi said in her usual, breezy way, inviting Ciara in the same way she had invited the twins... after she had gotten through pranking them, but she couldn't do that to Ciara, so she had no choice to skip it and move to the same openess that had led her to making the boys hot chocolate with cinnamon all those months ago, "and you can see the garden where I grew the berries. Soon the blackberries and blueberries will ripen, and the strawberries are just on the cusp of being ready to pick. There may be one or two ready... They're running late. But the flowers have had a very good year. Enkidu will be angry to be left inside."

"That is our dog," Dark explained, letting Daizi walk Ciara towards the backdoor.

"He'll have to be angry," She laughed, figuring their guest would have no interest in eating near a dog, "but he's used to being locked up when company comes. He's a German Shepherd, a rescue, and on the large end of his breed, so even though he is calm and excellently behaved and trained, people who don't know him well tend to be wary of him. It took the boys a long time to warm up to them."

Both Dark and Daizi halted by the glass door leading to the outside. Dark put on slides, but Daizi chose to remain barefoot (and frankly didn't care if it gave the wrong impression--her feet were slightly swollen after a full day of work), but that wasn't why they stopped, "It's really good of you to come today," Daizi said.

"The twins are nervous," Dark added, "but I think it means something to both of them that you showed up." Then, he opened the door to let the two women pass through.

Last edited:
Ciara nodded politely as Dark and Daizi spoke, making no effort to respond to them at first as it did not seem to be a conversation starter so much as an informative mention. She did take her shoes with her to the back door and paused to put them on when Dark slipped on his slides. She paused when Dark commented on how the twins were nervous and glanced through the door.

"I am sorry they are nervous, but I understand," she said quietly. "Wishing otherwise does no one any good." She adjusted her shoe and then stepped through the door.

"Aunt Ciara, sit here. It has the second-best shade," Alec said, indicating the chair. Then he touched Daizi's elbow lightly. "This chair over here has the best shade. Would you prefer shade or sun?"

Xander went inside to fetch the food once everyone was outside and finding their seats. He brought out the shepherd's pie and a tossed salad, setting them in the middle of the table.

"It's only natural, after what they've been through... but you'll find them understanding," Daizi said, walking after Ciara. When Alec touched her elbow, she turned to him and said, "Normally I let Dark have the shade to protect his tattoos, and because having sun in my eyes doesn't bother me, but... I think just this once he'll have to risk it, if that's alright, Goose?"

"No, you can have the shade, I want you to be comfortable," Dark replied, and proving his point pulled the shaded chair out and helped Daizi to it.

"If this one day in the shade ruins them, you're free to divorce me."

"Oh have no fear of that, I will," he teased, and then more seriously, "Dinner looks amazing, Xander. Thank you."

Xander nodded to Dark, accepting his praise quietly.

"This is a most interesting dish. What is it?" Ciara asked curiously.

"Shepherd's pie, but with beef, not lamb," Xander told her as he stuck the serving spoon straight into the dish. "It was one of our mum's favorites."

"Did she not eat it with... did your family not eat it?" Alec asked curiously.

"Not that I recall, but our mother, your grandmother, was not a very good cook," Ciara admitted. "She could make two dishes well, and everything else was usually boiled. Even meat. To this day, I cannot stand eating any vegetable that has been boiled."

Xander shuddered. "That sounds disgusting."

"What was Tara's favorite food, then, growing up?" Alec pressed.

Ciara hesitated, taking the time to hang her bag from the back of her chair. "Pizza night was her favorite. We would only have pizza once a month, and she would usually trick me into thinking it was her turn. I usually got one turn for every three of hers. I cannot say I was a particularly bright child in my early years. She also liked one of the few things our mother could cook: shrimp and pasta with this rich sauce. I believe it was a tomato pesto."

"I've never had shrimp," Alec admitted.

Dark and Daizi both quietly enjoyed the stories of Ciara and Tara's childhood. Daizi, who had grown up rich and so had only ever enjoyed good food until being sent to her boarding school as a teenager, found them amusing and dreadful, but Dark who had times where the choice was to go hungry or eat something fairly unappetizing, connected to it with a somewhat grim nostalgia.

When Alec mentioned never having had shrimp both looked at him, "How have you never had shrimp?" Dark asked.

"It's not because I'm pregnant because it's one of the few things I can still have," Daizi remarked, "but I suppose we eat a lot of our cultural foods, so you have a lot of fish, but shrimp isn't that popular in Egypt."

"Hm..." Dark thought about it, "It is still strange. You have lived here for eight months and we have never fed you shrimp."

"Sure, but we've expanded their boundaries in lots of other ways... They have both become veru familiar with the Middle Eastern diet. More than once, Xander has helped Dark grill fish over a fire out here." Daizi explained to Ciara, turning back to her, "But, tell me, what kind of pizza did their mother like best?"

"Anything with cheese on it, and there was never enough cheese," Ciara said dryly. "The pizza could have anything else on it, and she'd eat it only if it had enough cheese."

Xander snickered. "Now that sounds like a challenge to add as much cheese as humanly possible. But eat up. While we're sitting here gabbing, the food's getting cold." He took the first scoop as that was always the most awkward piece to get and then indicated for Ciara to take some.

Ciara took a small portion of the "pie" and a decent helping of salad. Alec took his usual amount and passed it on to Dark and Daizi. Once everyone had their piece, Alec and Xander tried it.

"This is even better than when our mum would make it," Alec mumbled happily.

"Dunno. I think it could use a bit of cheese on top of the potatoes," Xander replied.

Ciara almost smiled.

"Oh, I think cheese on top would be wonderful," Daizi agreed emphatically, and Dark, although endeared, rolled his eyes, "It delicious as is, though. It is really very nice, thank you," She paused, blushed lightly, and then sheepishly said, "I'm sorry, I just came from work, I'm starving. I'm not normally so..." She trailed off.

Dark reached over to lightly pat her shoulder before he, too, praised the meal. It felt somewhat comforting, like it'd be nice on a cold, rainy day, "Xander has become a rather skilled cook," he said, "You would not believe this, considering he cooked this, with Alec's help, today, but his first morning with us, he struggled to peel an orange."

Xander pointed at Dark with his spoon. "You always bring up the orange," he said in a mock-accusatory tone. "What is it with you and that orange?"

"Maybe because all of your struggling got orange juice and that orange spray that comes from the peel all over the counters?" Alec suggested with a tiny smirk.

"Oh, come on, counters wipe," Xander said, rolling his eyes.

"Hmm, yes, but things were quite sticky there for a bit," Alec reminded him.

"It is very good," Ciara said in agreement. "Perhaps cheese would make a nice addition, but it is not necessary."

"Aunt Ciara, are you rich?" Alec asked suddenly.

Ciara coughed in surprise and quickly took a drink.

"Because you were fourteen and could not peel an orange!" Dark replied, teasing, "I am not one to shame someone for not knowing something, it is not my way, but you must admit, considering now you are cooking full meals, it is rather amusing to look back."

Daizi chuckled lightly at the orange debate, and at the memory of how long Dark whined about his sticky, horrible counters after hardly anything had spilled on them, but stopped when Alec asked his question, "It's not polite to ask those sorts of questions," she said firmly, but not in a way suggesting she was upset or disappointed. It was only a gentle correction. She did think discussing pay with coworkers was a good idea, to make sure the rates were equitable, but asking if someone was rich outright was different, because it put everyone in a difficult position.

"I'm sorry," Alec apologized. "I was just curious about how different our lives might be. How our mum grew up."

Ciara dabbed her lips with her napkin and cleared her throat. "Well, 'rich' is a bit of a relative term," she said slowly, "but I suppose compared to how I understand you grew up, yes, I am. However, when compared to the overall status, I would say I land solidly in the middle-class spectrum. Perhaps upper middle-class. Not rich, but comfortable. Our parents, your grandparents, were well-off, upper-middle-class, I would say, but it was not often that you could tell. My grandparents, your great-grandparents, still suffered from the effects of the Great Depression, so while our parents were not as frugal as our grandparents, waste was still frowned upon, and financial decisions were made with great caution."

"I didn't realize the Great Depression was still going on at that time," Alec said in surprise.

"Officially, it was not, but such a widespread thing tends to affect people differently, and certain problems lingered long after it was officially declared to have ended," Ciara said calmly. "It meant that our parents were quite strict, but our grandparents would reuse the same wrapping paper for years until it would physically no longer hold together. Our parents would not go that far, but we would only get one gift on birthdays or other holidays. Also, they believed strongly that we should not grow up to be spoiled."

"Certainly managed to avoid that problem," Xander said dryly. "Nothing says proper childrearing like tossing your kid out onto the streets because some jerk turned her head."

Aunt Ciara's cheeks reddened, but she said nothing.

"The Great Depression is the sort of thing that causes trauma, and if it is not dealt with on a deep enough level, it leads to generational trauma. And it can stick around for decades or longer after the event. There is a lot I have needed to really work on after leaving the instability of Baghdad, there was so much I did that to someone who had not been through it would not understand. I used to hoarde food and for a time carried everything I owned with me everywhere I went..." He sighed. Hopefully this would help the twins understand their grandparents and help Ciara marginally less uncomfortable, "and I had other habits too... And it is the sort of thing where, had I not worked through most of it, you both would have found it much more difficult to settle, and the baby would end up adopting many of the habits, to a differing degree. And then if she had children they would learn some of them too."

"You still have some of those habits, but only the cute ones. Mostly the cute ones. That's why you're so neat."

Dark nodded, and smiled slightly, but not in a way Ciara would be able to recognize, "If all three of them can learn that from me, I will call it all worth it," His eyes flicked to Ciara for a moment, and briefly the slight expression on his face was revealed, but then sealed away again, "And we cannot help the past. Even our own. We just try to improve from wherever we are."

Alec nodded. "Quite true, quite true," he agreed. "I wonder what kind of habits we exhibit without even realizing it?"

"Asking nosy questions is one," Xander muttered.

"Oh! One more question," Alec remarked. "Religion."

Ciara's eyebrows bounced so far up it was a wonder they didn't disappear into her hair. "I beg your pardon?"

"Was our mum a Catholic at some point? I got that feeling, but the only time we went to church was the occasional Baptist or Lutheran when we knew they were having a potluck, especially when it was in the park and it was a big church. Easy to join the crowd that way for some free food," Alec told her.

"We were raised Catholic, yes," Ciara said slowly. "I cannot say either of us clung too closely to the faith of our parents, though."

"That explains a lot," Xander muttered.

Alec leaned forward, eying her intently. "Then what do you believe? About any kind of afterlife? About ghosts or spirits or judgments? And what about your own children? Do you have any? Any husbands or boyfriends? Or girlfriends?"

"That is enough, young man," Ciara said, her tone still quiet but firm, like an elementary school teacher to a rowdy student. She held up a hand. "I do realize that you have a lot of questions, and perhaps you are entitled to answers, but I think you are overstepping a few personal boundaries right now."

Alec sank back, looking crestfallen. "Oh. I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I hope you won't hold it against me. I just got curious."

"That is quite all right," she assured him with a prim nod. "I understand. I think you need to just slow down a little and take a few breaths. We have time to learn about each other, you needn't jump in head first."

Back