How Green Becomes Wood

"You two are much kinder than I am," Daizi said, pretty proud of how they wanted to celebrate, "I would have just gotten a cake and thought of something we could all do together. Giving back to others is much nicer. But I'll have to start doing that walking now, try to get it done ahead of time, since I'll be still healing come December. But that's alright, I can start early."

After she had expressed this, Daizi regretted it somewhat, out of guilt of seeming like she was trying to 'get out of' their one year anniversary because of the baby, especially right after their conversation about how they used to be afraid of being kicked out to make room for her.

"Awkward," Xander said, wincing at the mention of healing. Internally, he told himself not to freak out. It was a big thing. Healing happened after big things. Healing happened after falling off bikes and being an idiot who tried to balance on stuff not meant to be walked on. Do not freak out!

"Well, I thought it might be a nice thing to do since the whole reason we are here is because you gave to someone else," Alec pointed out. "A lot of other people would have just called CPS and considered it their civic duty, not put up with two very sassy teenagers during a very difficult time you your life."

"True enough there," Xander agreed with a nod. "I'm down for some kind of thingy that gives back, but I'd rather not do a soup kitchen. Let's do some other kind of fund or awareness raiser."

"And then have cake afterward?"

"Duh. Cake happens at every celebration, no arguments allowed."

Daizi rubbed the back of her neck, regretting even more what she had said. And she wondered how he would handle it when she actually was postpartum and dealing with those struggles... She shouldn't have mentioned it at all. Daizi finished the last bit of her tea and stretched to put her mug back on the table before folding her hands on her belly.

"We'll have cakes, and I'm sure we'll find some good charity to work for, you're both very sweet to think of that."

Xander glanced at the two cups and nudged Alec. "Hey. Where's my tea?"

"You never said you were going to join us," Alec pointed out.

Xander scowled. "Alright, fair enough. I guess that just means I get to share yours."

"Tea is better when you steal it from someone, that's why I always steal Dark's," Daizi said cooly, "but if you want some of your own, I can go and make you some. It's no bother."

She moved to stand, and then paused, giving a warm smile to Xander, "I am glad you decided to join us, Xander. I like spending time with you, with both of you. I'd like to spend a day out with the two of you, without Dark. He's gotten to spend the day with you without me there, I want to do that too."

"I'm okay just stealing off of Alec's. I don't actually want a full cup," Xander assured her.

Alec frowned. "Then why did you ask where yours was?"

"Because you made one for both of you and not me," Xander retorted. He paused when Daizi stopped her motion to stand and started talking. He blushed faintly and ducked his head as if to hide it even though she couldn't see. "Well, your welcome, I guess, I mean, I don't mind hanging out with you," he said awkwardly.

Alec tipped his head, relinquishing his cup to Xander. "That's true. We've never both spent time with just you, and Xander's not had a day with just you and him, really. We should do that."

Xander regained his composure by now and said, "Yeah, that'd be great, but what could we do that we all really like doing?"

Daizi thought about it for a little while, settling back down on the bench, and then offered, "The science museum downtown recently set up a temporary tactile exhibit. It supposedly has experiences for all five senses, I can experience four of those. There are all sorts of other things to do there, too, and all of the museums downtown are connected, so I could get us all in for free, if you'd like to." Then she shook her head and tucked her hair back, "but really I'm okay with whatever you'd like to do, as long as I'm physically able to do it with you, I will."

"Oh, the science museum sounds like a lot of fun!" Alec chirped eagerly. "I would be well up for that!"

Xander nodded, refusing to display as much excitement. "Yeah, that could be a lot of fun," he agreed. "Sticking our hands in goop, tasting weird stuff, listening to kids screaming... Reminds me of preschool. Sure, let's do it."

"We're in agreement, then," Alec told Daizi. We can go whenever you like."

"If you'd rather do something else, Xander, we can talk about it," Daizi said softly, taking his restrained response for displeasure, "it was only the first thing I thought of. I'm just sort of limited in what I can do compared to Dark, but if there's something you'd like, even if I can't actively participate, I'd love to at least go with you..." She offered, trying to think of any other option she could suggest, before ultimately saying, "But if you'd like to go, Alec, really any weekend is okay. It'll be open until mid September, so we have time."

"Nah, nah, it's cool. I'll give it a try," Xander assured her. "I don't think we've ever been. It could be fun. If it's a disaster, we can try something else another time."

"Why would you think it might be a disaster? It's a museum. Museums are never a disaster," Alec frowned at him. Addressing Daizi, he said, "I think it'll be fabulous fun and we three should all go whenever works best with your schedule."

"If you're sure," Daizi said, and after a beat suggested, "I don't see why we can't go this weekend. You're out of school so you don't have homework, and I try not to work on the weekends anyway. It'll be nice." She would have stood to start heading to bed, but wanted to be certain this was the plan, and refused to walk away and make it seem like it didn't really matter to her when it so dearly did, "And then, Xander, we can find something we can do just the two of us, if you'd like that, and hanging out with me wouldn't be just the most awful and uncomfortable thing you've ever done." That time, and it was evident, she wasn't teasing him, she meant it.

"Oh, yes, because hanging out with an awesome human who has all sorts of accomplishments under her belt would be such a horribly boring, awful, and tedious thing in the entire world," Xander drawled. "Nah, it's cool. It sounds like something that could be fun if there's something we both like."

"She could give you her opinion on some of your designs," Alec grinned.

Xander pulled a face. "Nope, not ready for the harsh reality of the critics just yet. Maybe something else."

Even though he was complimenting her in a sarcastic tone, it seemed clear enough that he meant the kind things he was saying, and it hit her right where her hormones had softened her. Tipping her head towards the sky and blinking quickly trying to keep it together (the logical part of her brain knew Xander was really pretty mild with what he had said, but the hormonal part only heard her formally-abrasive foster son saying things he liked about her, which won out), Daizi said, "You don't have to worry, I'd be really complimentary towards them. I'm much too supportive of you to be cruel. And I-- I'm sure there's something we would enjoy doing together, but I'd really do anything so long as you enjoy it."

"We can brainstorm later," Xander assured Daizi.

"It's getting late," Alec said. "We should probably start considering turning in for the night."

Xander glanced up at the evening sky and nodded. "Yeah, probably a good idea." He stood and started picking up the tea cups. "I got cleanup duty."

"It's nice that Dark was able to go to sleep at a reasonable hour," Daizi said, pushing herself to her feet, "but he slept well this weekend, and all things considered, life is a lot less stressful than it had been. Who knows if I'll manage to sleep tonight," she chuckled, not loving this new problem but accepting it well enough.

Heading back inside, she turned to the twins and said, "Tusbah ala khair. And sweet dreams until then." Daizi waved lightly and then went upstairs.

The twins cleaned up and made certain the kitchen was tidy before locking the doors and checking one last time that Enkidu had a proper amount of water. Then they went to their own room and collapsed on their beds. It had been a fun weekend, but it was nice to have Dark and Daizi back. The house had felt empty and strange without them.

Upstairs, Daizi got ready for bed, and then curled up besides her sleeping husband. When Dark slept, he slept deeply, so he didn't stir when she climbed in beside him. It was nice to be back in their own bed, that was big enough for them both, and that Dark wasn't nearly too long for, and that smelled like them... Being away was nice, but being home just felt right.

Then right away on Monday, it was back to their old routine, and slowly the weekend came. On Saturday, Dark dropped the twins and Daizi off at the train station, and off they headed on their trip to the museum. For Dark, it was strange to watch his whole family leave without him, and for Daizi, as soon as the train doors had closed, she was hit with the slightly disconcerting realization that now, for the first time, she was solely responsible for two (or, maybe 2 and 1/8th? She wasn't sure what her unborn child counted as) minors. But it would be grand, she knew that for certain.

"You know," she mused, at some point on the journey to the museum, "I was able to keep Alec safe here, and he's got no sense of direction, so with the two of you it'll be easier I'm sure."

"Easier or harder?" Xander smirked as Alec actually knelt on his seat to better see out the window. "I'm confident enough to wander off without even noticing."

"Yes, but you won't," Alec replied, not moving from his position next to Daizi, holding tight to the back of the seat. "You are confident but also smart enough to not want to have to bother with finding us again should you get lost."

Xander shrugged. 'Good point. Do you mind not acting like a squirrel?"

"No way! I'm not as freaked out this time, so I can actually enjoy the trip, and that is exactly what I am going to do," Alec said firmly.

Xander looked across the car to an old lady sitting across from them, knitting diligently. Was it just him, or were there a pair of eyes peaking out from under the skeins of yarn? "It is a different experience, that's for sure."

"Let him look, I know I would if I could," Daizi said, closing her eyes to feel the gentle rocking of the train, "and I know the sound of your stride well enough to be able to notice if I didn't hear them anymore, Xander. So you may not be aware if you walk off, but I would be," she chuckled, "and I trust you'd want to keep an eye on your brother. Besides, you need to stick around long enough for when we go into the gift shop, we need to get something remarkably stupid to bring back for Dark. Something nice too, but something dumb."

"Stupid gifts are my favorite type of gifts to get," Xander agreed thoughtfully. "Alright, I'll continue to let people see that I'm a part of this family."

"How noble of you," Alec said dryly. "I think it might be difficult for you to separate yourself, sir, but I didn't think we were that embarrassing. I'm not even wearing more than two colors!"

"Yes, pink and blue, lovely choices," Xander said, glancing at his brother's baby blue pants, bubblegum pink shirt, baby blue tie, and pink belt. He would never understand Alec's love of ties.

"What will we experience first?" Alec asked Daizi, ignoring Xander's commentary.

Back