How Green Becomes Wood

Ivy squirmed slightly in her cot, kicking her legs and throwing out her arms in the jerking way which seemed oddly familiar if whoever was watching had felt or watched Daizi's belly when the baby inside was active. But when Alec began speaking, she managed to look for him, and for a brief moment, was able to focus on his face. Then she returned to looking around the room.

In bed, Daizi rolled onto her side, facing in the direction of Alec and Ivy, and when Alec called himself the baby's big brother, she teared up. So many months ago, Daizi was terrified neither twin would ever accept her or even like her, but now at least one had come around to seeing this new person like family.

"I am going to call Ciara, let her know," Dark said, and took out his phone before sitting in the arm chair and dialing the number.

Alec pulled his hand away, startled at first by her reaction, then smiled in delight and reached in again to rub gently along her tiny shoulder. "You're so tiny! I know, I know, everyone is saying that, and soon they won't shut up about how big you're getting, but it's just such a shock. I hope you'll forgive me for saying it again."

Xander leaned against the wall in the corner and pulled out his phone. First he texted Peter, and then Sloan. Oi. Guess what? Got company staying over.

"She'll hold your finger," Daizi said sleepily. There was no way for her to know what Alec was doing, she could only listen to the conversation, but it seemed like something he might not know, "If you touch her palm, she grabs your finger."

At her house, Sloan, who actually missed the hustle and bustle across the street because she had been asleep two of the three times Dark and Daizi had gone to the hospital, saw the text and sent back, You have company? Who'd you invite and why wasn't I invited?

Of course, Alec had to try touching her palm and gasped when she did exactly as Daizi said she would. "She's holding my hand! Kind of! She's surprisingly strong."

Xander saw his chance and zoomed in to take a picture of just the tiny hand holding Alec's finger. The picture included part of Ivy's arm but only about half of Alec's hand due to the difference in size. He texted Sloan, She wasn't invited. She just kind of showed up, but you can come meet her later, if you want, and we'll all hang out. He sent the text but waited a moment before sending the picture just to give Sloan some time to be confused by his vague text.

Daizi grinned, then winced, then grinned again, "She takes after her father that way. But I've known longer than anyone else how strong she is."

Sloan read the first text and was in the process of typing, dude, who showed up? What are you talking about? Then, when the picture came through, she screamed, and then texted Xander, DID SAIZI HAVEVHER BABY!?, typos and all.

Meanwhile, on the arm chair, Dark called Ciara, and was surprised by his own nerves about it. The only call that worried him more was when he called his father-in-law, knowing how much this man disliked him, but at least then he knew Saladin would be happy about his granddaughter and wouldn't be confused about why he was getting a call. Maybe he should have let Alec do it. But it was too late now, "Hello, Ciara?"

Alec giggled, moving his finger in tiny little circles, careful not to disrupt her too much as he pretended to arm wrestle. "Of course you would. Poor you."

Xander smirked and texted back, Yep. Her name is Ivy something long. I can't spell it. She's tiny. That's Alec's hand for comparison. Peter still hadn't texted back. He wondered what the other was doing.

"Ah, Mr. Dark," Ciara greeted, her voice cool but not unfriendly. "Good afternoon. What can I do for you?"

"I'd rather she be strong," Daizi sighed, wanting to get up to be near them again, but also knowing it was probably for the best to stay lying down for a little while.

Sloan pulled up the picture of the baby again and looked at it again, Woah yeah, she must be tiny! I had thought she'd have been bigger, since her parents are so tall! Because back in September, Alec said Dark was going on maternity leave in a month, she hadn't realized yet the baby was premature.

"Hello," he repeated, looking across the room at Alec and Ivy, then over at Daizi again, "I do not need anything, actually. I was just calling to let you know that we had the baby. Daizi had the baby. And since you are the twins' family, and so are we, I thought you should know."

Alec finally pulled his finger free from Ivy and came to sit near Daizi. "Are you okay after everything? I mean, obviously you're in pain and all of that, but is it all regular pain? Nothing is wrong?"

She's actually early. By like a month. Wasn't supposed to get here yet, Xander explained. He had forgotten all about the projected timeline Alec had given.

"Oh, I see." A slight pause. "Congratulations. That is a... phenomenal life change," she replied, obviously trying to project what she thought was the right amount of cheer. She was happy for them, but this type of cheer did not come naturally. "I had thought the baby was not supposed to arrive for some time. Did I get my time wrong?"

She nodded, propping herself up, "Yeah, yeah I'm okay. It's normal. You don't have to worry. It's just a lot to go through, I'm just. Coming back together." Unless Alec asked, she was not going to provide any more details, not wanting to give him too much information and make him uncomfortable. He wasn't as bad about pregnancy and it's after-effects as Xander, but she thought 'my uterus is shrinking' might still be a bit too much for the kid.

Oh my god! Is Daizi okay? I mean, like, is everyone good? Are you good? Sloan hopped out of bed and walked to the window, looking at the haunted house against the street. Wait how did I miss this??? I literally live right across the street.

"Thank you. Both of them--Daizi and Ivy, that is her name--are doing well," being himself not a particularly emotional man, he didn't begrude Ciara her somewhat subdued response, especially since they weren't close, "Your time is right. She just decided to change the schedule and came six weeks early."

Alec smiled in relief and put a hand on her arm so she'd know where he was and could feel connected with him. He knew she'd rather be holding Ivy, but maybe this would help a little. "I'm glad. Really, really glad. Ivy has to stay here for a while, right? And you are going to stay here with her?"

I dunno how you missed all the fuss. We were in and out like three times trying to figure out what was going on. Everything's good though. Daizi's good. Ivy's good. The Professor might start singing and dancing, but otherwise he's good. Xander paused as Peter's text of excitement and congratulations came through. It looked like everyone was fully thrilled about Ivy. He hid a tiny smile.

"Ah. That is not optimal," Ciara said briskly. "I am sorry to hear that, but glad to know that your wife and child are doing well. Please, let me know if you need anything. I am not good with children, especially babies, but I am sure there are other ways in which I can lend my aid. Xander and Alec, how are they taking this?"

She sighed and leaned against him, shutting her eyes, "As long as she's here, I'll try to be. My dad agreed to pay for the room, he doesn't want her to be in the bay. I'm sort of uniquely responsible for her food, and it's good for her to have as much time as possible with her family rather than the staff here... And I can't... I can't imagine going home at the end of the day without her. I can't leave her here alone." Daizi shifted, resting her head on Alec's shoulder, "I wish I could be home with you all, too, though. I want to be home, and I want her to be home, but... It's just not possible for us."

Is he really excited then? I can't imagine him dancing or singing. Are you and Alec okay? She went to sit back down on her bed, When's her birthday, anyway? And like, I knew that guy with the red beard came to get you but it didn't seem unusual, and your adults leave the house together fairly often.

"It is not what we would have chosen," Dark replied, his mouth flicking into a smile just at the words 'your child,' "I will let you know if I think of anything. We are all still processing I think." Upon hearing her question about the twins, Dark got up and left the room, stopping only to stroke Ivy's cheek. It wasn't until he was out of earshot that he said, "Alec seems to be taking it well. He speaks to her... He referred to himself as her brother... Xander does not seem interested. He might be a bit annoyed with me, but I am sure I am misattributing his feelings."

"I know," Alec said sympathetically, trying to be as supportive as he could, and he did understand her dilemma. At least, as much as he could understand it. "Maybe you can come home to shower and rest for like an hour now and then while she's asleep. Just so you can refresh yourself in your own home. Not now, but later."

Why does everyone keep asking if we're okay? Xander asked, trying to push down his irritation. Sloan wouldn't know that everyone had been asking that question. We're good. We hung out with Cooger. He's the guy with the red beard. Basically our uncle. Ivy's going to be in the hospital for a while 'cause she's little and early, but looks good otherwise.

Ciara sighed softly, her professional air slipping momentarily. "I wish I could advise you, but I do not know them well enough to even guess. At least Alec is happy, which means his twin will likely follow along."

"Maybe." Daizi agreed, "but I don't know what I'd do if something happened while I was away. This isn't..." Whatever it was she was going to say, she didn't let herself finish.

I mean, it's a huge life change that happened unexpectedly, and people are known to get depressed after a baby is born. Sloan replied, rolling her eyes a bit at the question, and was glad Xander couldn't see her. It was just like him to take people checking up on him as a personal dig. And you're my friend, I care about how you're doing.

"I am sure he will," Dark agreed, "Do not worry, I do not expect you to have the answers. He is an oyster. But, listen, if you want to visit, you are welcome to, alright? There is no obligation, but Daizi really likes showing her off, and we are, in a way, relatives."

"If something happened, then half a dozen nurses will be right here to take care of it, just like if something happened while you were here," Alec pointed out gently. "But for now, just let yourself rest a little. Everything is going to be okay." He leaned into her, hugging her gently.

Xander frowned and thought about that. Wasn't it just the women who had the baby who got depressed? He shook his head. We're doing good. Alec is excited, and I'm just trying to stay out of the way. No need to crowd the kid, right? Anyway, you can come visit her here if you want in a couple of days, or you can wait until she comes home. I think they'll both be showing Ivy off to anyone walking by they are so happy.

"I might come by in a day or two, yes," Ciara agreed after a brief pause. "I would not wish to be in the way."

She inhaled. All the nurses in the world could be there, but she still wanted to be there, too. Everything would be okay, and she did believe it, but it was hard, and she really, really wanted to cry. But instead she just leaned into Alec's hug, and slowly began to fall asleep.

I might wait to visit unless you really want me over Sloan replied. Her initial thought was she would come soon, but after thinking about it, Premie babies have weak immune systems, right? I've got a snot-nosed brother, I'd hate to transmit something. I'm glad to hear Alec's excited... If they're that happy, do you think they want you to stay out of the way?

"That is understandable. Our number of guests is going to increase once Daizi's family makes it here, but it is good to not overwhelm her, she is not even a day old yet." Dark asked sighed, "I will send you the information, just let me know when to expect you."

Alec hummed softly, letting Daizi rest. He hoped she would fall asleep. She likely wouldn't rest as well here as she would at home, but any little bit counted.

Good idea, Xander texted about waiting. It'll be better to not accidentally give her anything. He didn't respond to her question about staying out of the way. Sloan was a good egg but he really didn't need a third mother.

"Of course. I need to go now, but I would appreciate it if you could keep me abreast of the situation should anything change. I will give you plenty of advance notice before I come in case it is not a good time," Ciara agreed. "Congratulations, Mr. Dark."

For the first time, Daizi let herself entirely rely on Alec's support, without even the slightest feeling of guilt, and fell asleep right there with her head on his shoulder. All three of her kids were there with her, and her husband, and that was enough.

Sloan was about to set her phone aside and text back later, when suddenly a new question popped into her head, Are you two going to school on Monday?

"I will." Dark promised, "and thank you. It is not what we expected, but... Well, we are very happy. I will talk to you soon. Goodbye, Ciara." Then he hung up, and went back inside the hospital room. Immediately noticing Daizi had fallen asleep, Dark went to the bed and pulled a blanket over her (and Alec, because of how their proximity), just as she had done for him, and then whispered, "Your aunt is planning to visit when she has the chance."

Xander considered the question. Were they? He supposed there was no reason not to. Their choices were: Sit at home, sit at Cooger's, sit in the hospital, or sit in class. He supposed they might as well work toward being respectable citizens and sit in class. Probably. Could you give us a ride? I'll let you know if something changes.

Alec looked up at Dark and smiled. "Good," he whispered back. "Was she happy about Ivy? I hope she was happy about Ivy."

Sure, np. Just lmk. Congratulations to your family : ) Then she tossed her phone aside and went ddownstairs to tell her family the news. Blair, her mother, apparently had not missed all of the drama across the street (only when the movement was after 10pm was she not watching from the window), and so she dramatically declared how glad she was the family hadn't fallen apart at the 11th hour.

Dark shrugged, going to check on Ivy, "She seemed happy. Not overwhelmingly so, but I never seem exceptionally happy when someone I know has a baby either. She asked about you two."

"She did? That's nice, but... why?" Alec asked, trying to hold perfectly still to not wake Daizi. "It's kind of people to be worried about us, but we're not the ones who, you know, did all the work."

Xander shoved his phone in his back pocket. "They're worried we'll feel overlooked and develop feelings of jealousy."

"Well that's silly," Alec said promptly and then blushed. "No offense meant. Just... how could we possibly be jealous of Ivy? Especially considering the circumstances."

Back