How Green Becomes Wood

Both Daizi and Dark understood immediately what Ciara meant when she said she worked for the Bureau, and Dark shifted in private discomfort. Even though he knew there was a difference between the CIA and the FBI, he still had a mistrust of government agencies. It was, admittedly, a bit irrational, and he knew that too, but the unease persisted from his childhood when he didn't know the difference. It was a subterranean, churning dread which reburied itself after only a moment.

"Why do I get special clearance?" Daizi asked, grinning slightly as she dared to joke with Ciara.

"If I had to guess, she does financials." Dark guessed, moving closer to his wife and taking Ivy from her, deciding it was his turn.

"Probably because you're a professor," Alec suggested to Daizi as Ciara hadn't heard the question before stepping out.

"FBI is a shocker," Xander said. "Kind of explains the uptight nature and all of that. Why do you think she's in financials?"

Daizi squinted, cocking her head, "I'm not a professor. You've been to my museum, you know I don't work at a university."

"He's exhausted like the rest of us," Dark said to Daizi, and then shrugged, running his tongue over his teeth as he considered why he had the assumption about where in the FBI Ciara worked. Eventually he just said, "Her shoes. She's very practical, so if she were going to work as an investigator, I do not think she would wear heels. So I would guess she is doing desk work. Financials is just a guess, but I expect it's desk work of some kind."

"It would be cool if we had an aunt who was an actual FBI agent," Alec said wistfully.

Xander gave him an odd look. "Really? Eh, never mind. At least it's useful."

The door opened again, and Ciara stepped inside. "I do not know exactly how helpful that will be, but perhaps it will at least get your family here sooner," she said almost apologetically.

"I am just glad she is not CIA," Dark failed to prevent himself from admitting, "but if she was an agent, it would explain why she is kept so busy."

"Even if it doesn't, I really appreciate you trying to help us," Daizi said warmly, "it means a lot."

She might have said more, but then the door to the hospital room was opened up, and Cooger, in his usual fashion, stepped in, "Hey, where's that kiddo?" He asked, "Hey brother, Tarot. Little Gladiator. Little Sage--oh!" He noticed Ciara and nodded his head to her with his classic little grin, "Howdy. I don't believe we've met before."

"Cooger," Dark said, "this is Ciara."

"Ah yeah yeah, you're the aunt? Right on, right on."

Ciara looked Cooger up and down with a quick flick of her eyes and gave a slight nod. "Good morning. You would be the one referred to as the uncle, correct? Mr. Dark's unofficial adopted brother. I am Ciara Cunningham."

Alec smiled and instantly went to give Cooger a quick hug. "This is Cooger. Mr. um," he stalled, suddenly realizing he couldn't remember Cooger's real name.

"Referred to as?" He asked, and then laughed, "Nah, I just am. You ain't gotta be bound by blood or marriage to be family, y'just are." He squeezed Alec tight and then stuck out his hand to Ciara. Then he hesitated, looked at Ciara's prim self, then looked at Ivy, and put on hand sanitizer before sticking out hospital hand to Ciara again, "J.C. Cooger. Or Jasper, if you prefer that, or just J.C., I even got some people who call me Jazz. Just don't call me me late for dinner, right?"

Ciara did not reach out to take Cooger's hand at first, but after he sanitized, she raised one brow before reaching out and accepting his hand. His joke did not get a smile, though she nodded politely. "It is good to meet you, Mr. Cooger. I have heard good things. However, I doubt you came to visit with me, so I shall take my leave.

"So soon?" Alec asked sadly.

"Shoot, I didn't mean t'scare you off or nothing," Cooger chuckled, holding up his hands in surrender, "I'm a nice enough guy. We're both here visiting the same people, you wouldn't run out of a funeral just 'cause another guest arrived, right?"

"Cooger is friends with everyone he meets, regardless of your opinion on the matter," Dark explained in a teasingly bland way as Cooger went over to slap him on the back.

This comment only further amused Cooger, who with a bright grin said, "Well shoot, I better be, who else would've made friends with a guy like you? You gloomy humorless slug."

Ciara looked a little lost and uncertain amongst this sudden banter. She seemed to want to say something, but she pursed her lips instead.

"He's got a point," Xander agreed. "You definitely needed an extra hand in that regard."

Alec snickered. "Shh! Not so loud, all of you, or you'll wake Ivy. Or the twins next door."

Dark rolled his eyes, "I was unaware the only valid personality was an extroverted court jester. And you," he made eye contact with Xander and a glimmer came into his eyes proving he was joking, "have no room to talk when it comes to brooding."

"I'm more cowboy than court jester," Cooger replied, plopping himself down in the armchair and kicking his legs out, "or hillbilly, whatever suits ya."

"Don't worry, Alec," Daizi murmured, adjusting her shirt, "It's right about the time Ivy'll probably wake up anyway."

"Hey, I'm just saying it takes one to know one," Xander smirked. "And at least I have fun doing something not indoors."

"Are cowboys just American horse pirates?" Alec mused.

Xander stared at him. "Uh... no?"

Ciara edged very carefully toward the door, but slowly, as if both hypnotized by the group and discomforted by it.

"Hey, that's not fair," Cooger said, "Dark's one of the most active guys I know and he goes jogging with Enkidu just like you do. Just 'cause most of his hobbies are indoors doesn't mean he's flawed in that way, he just has a different focus. Remember how he grew up, kid! Anyway, outlaws are horse pirates, cowboys just worked on the ranch and drank."

Daizi sat up a bit, turning towards where she thought she heard Ciara, "You can leave if you need to, but don't let them bother you, okay? They're just a bunch of boys. But I just had a daughter, so the scales are a little more balanced."

"How can I forget? No one misses a chance to remind me," Xander grumbled. "And working out like running doesn't count, and for being a jolly fellow, you're terrible at taking a joke."

"I am glad to see your daughter is doing well," Ciara said sincerely. "I was concerned for you, but I see that things are working out more or less as well as could be expected."

Cooger shrugged, "If some punk kid took a shot at Alec's expense, I bet you'd have a thing or two to say about it too. And he's been through a lot this week, haven't you?" Dark only shrugged in response, while Ivy kicked her legs and began the slow process of realizing she was awake and not as content as she'd like to be. He tried to shush and comfort her as she began her weak little cry, but when it didn't work and Dark confirmed she was dry, he passed her over to Daizi, who was the only one capable of checking if their baby was hungry. Cooger only watched for a little while before saying, "Like I said, hard week."

Turning slightly to let Ivy latch without letting anyone else see what was happening, for their comfort rather than hers, Daizi said, "We're very fortunate. Her blood pressure drops too low sometimes, and she does forget to breathe, and she either needs to be having kangaroo care or be in her little warming bed, but for how she is, she's strong."

Xander rolled his eyes at Cooger. "Forget it. It's too crowded in here. I'm going for a walk. I'll see you later." He walked out, pushing past Ciara and out into the hall. He was sick of this. It seemed everything he said was wrong, and everyone, even Cooger, was taking every opportunity to point that out. He was just following the original joke! That Dark didn't have a sense of humor! Of course he knew Dark had one, but what did any of that have to do with the dude's background? And why did people have to keep bringing it up? He got that it was tough right now with Dark being reminded of how he was raised now that he was faced with raising his own kid, but what did that have to do with Xander? Nothing! He just wanted a little peace. It seemed lately the best place to get it was at school. Home was an empty drag, here was low-key panic and dred every second, and there wasn't anywhere in between. He was trying to play it cool for Dark and Daizi's sake, but it was getting harder when he constantly felt like sandpaper was rasping over his skin.

Alec watched his brother go and huddled quietly in the corner, trying to become invisible and be forgotten.

Ciara cleared his throat as Xander stormed out. "I think it is time for me to go, but I hope for her speedy, ah, strengthening. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help."

When Xander left, Cooger stared towards the door, entirely bewildered, and in response, Dark, also watching, reached over and patted him on the shoulder. Part of him wanted to follow Xander and talk to him, but he also wanted to give the kid some space, since clearly he wanted it.

"I... do not understand," Cooger remarked flatly.

"It has been a tough week for them, too." Dark told him, turning away from the door to give an empathic look to Alec.

Daizi squeezed her eyes shut for a moment, trying to figure out how to juggle the twins, Cooger, and Ciara while literally breastfeeding, and ultimately she just put on a little smile, "So soon? Well, thank you for coming at all. I know it's all been very short notice... I'd walk you out, but, uh..." She chuckled, "You're welcome back anytime, I'm sure soon it'll be less... chaotic."

"No, it's fine. It is completely understandable," Ciara assured her. "I will come again, probably next week, but do not hesitate to give me a call if you need anything." She gave a little nod to Cooger. "It was most interesting to meet you, Mr. Cooger."

Daizi grinned, for the first time feeling like she and Ciara were more the less on the same page, "You know, I've heard that so often these days, I have no idea who I'd ask if I actually did need something."

"Mr. Cooger," Cooger laughed, standing to see her out, "You're one formal lady, ain't you? Well I'm not all that formal myself, just Cooger is fine. If you're more comfortable adding 'Mr.' onto it, that's all fine, but it makes me sound like my lawyer dad. Well, I'll see you around, Ms. Cunningham." He gave a little salut, and had used her surname not to mock her formality but to try to meet her on her level.

Out in the hall, Alice was heading to the Cafeteria, seeming much less upset than she had the day prior. When she saw Xander, she hurried up over to him, with her hands in her pockets, and said, "Hi there. You look mad."

Ciara smiled faintly at Daizi, understanding how overwhelming this must be for her. She had no doubt that while she would not be the first person to be called in a case of need, Dark and Daizi would definitely call if they did need her particular talents. She turned to walk out with Cooger, her short heels clicking quietly on the hard floor as she walked. She appreciated his attempt to meet her on her level, but she wasn't sure she was ready to relax to the level of "just Cooger" yet. "I hope to see you again," she replied, nodding in reply to his salute. "Perhaps in better circumstances." She walked off, back straight, head up, her mind already moving on to work as well as pondering how she might be of help to getting Daizi's family into the States. She, herself, did not have any direct pull with immigration, but she knew a lot of people, and she was owed a lot of favors. It was worth cashing in a favor or two to help her nephew's family have a little bit of joy.

Xander slowed when he saw Alice, angling to walk with her toward the cafeteria. He wasn't very hungry, but hanging out there beat sitting in a hallway. "I'm a teenage boy. Anger is practically my default expression, like frustration and tears are for a teen girl. What's up with you?" It was a casual question, not an aggressive one. Trying to be calmer for Alice did help a little. She didn't deserve to get snapped at.

Back