How Green Becomes Wood

"Oh she loved it," Daizi said, hugging Alec tightly, "I did too, you were all wonderful. I'm so proud of you, habibi." She rocked him slightly in her excitement and then let go, "The applause you got startled her a little, but that was all. She was sleeping until you started performing, I guess she just wanted to skip to the good part!"

"It was fantastic," Dark said, holding his freshly-awake daughter out to face his boys, "You did very well. Your hard work was worth it."

Alec looked like he was practically glowing as he hugged his mother back. "I loved every second of it! It's so much fun! But so much better when you're all here." He pulled away from Daizi just enough to say to his aunt, "Thank you for coming, Aunt Ciara. It means a lot!"

Xander nodded. "Thanks." He then offered Ivy a fist-bump. "But we need a bassist, so you gotta grow up wanting to play the base."

Ciara cleared her throat and adjusted her blazer. "It was most impressive work."

Ivy smiled her biggest smile when she saw Xander and kicked her legs. She couldn't quite get the hang of a fist-bump, yet, but she did her best to grab onto his hand.

"She would make a good bassist," Dark said, kissing the top of Ivy's head as she stared wide-eyed at her brother.

"Oh, we should go out for dinner," Daizi said, with a big grin, "We should do something special. There are only so many talent shows in a person's life."

"Eh, close enough," Xander told Ivy, letting her grab his hand for only a moment before pulling away. "We'll work on it."

"Oh, yes, lets!" Alec agreed eagerly. "All of us should go! You'll come, too, right, Aunt Ciara?"

Ciara raised her brows. "Well..."

"Oh, no, I am more than happy to at least pay my own way," she assured them.

"You can figure that out when we get there," Alec told them quickly. "Are we inviting the Hollis' to come with us?"

"I would not hear of it," Dark replied with a small head shake, "You brought Daizi and Ivy here today, surely you would let me cover you for that.'

Daizi briefly squeezed Dark's arm and then walked over to Sally, "We are going to dinner, would you like to join us? We'll pay, and if you try to argue against it, Dark will start seething at the mouth, I think."

"I should think a small amount of gas is worth far less than a meal. Not only that, but are we not family? Is it not within a family's prerogative to ensure that they get to where they need to go?" Ciara pointed out.

Sally glanced over at Dark and Ciara still arguing and hid a quick smile. "Then I won't argue. We'd be absolutely delighted to come!"

"Great! We still need to decide where we're going which... may take a while." Daizi chuckled, "I know Dark views it as a point of pride... Alec, Xander, habibi, where do you want to eat?"

"Is it not within a family's prerogative to want to provide for each other?" Dark countered, bouncing Ivy and allowing her to dig her little fingers in his beard, "We have a dual income, it is only fair." He might have added more to strengthen his argument, but all three of his favourite coworkers hurried up to pull his attention away, because Mr. Major had been around for eight years, Ms. McGann for six, and, well, Ms. Piper was brand new, but she always ate lunch with the rest of them. They were all people he had shared baby pictures with, but there wasn't a chance they were going to miss actually meeting her. Of course, being as they were his friends, regardless of if he was aware of it or not, they did apologize profusely for interrupting.

They both said the name of the same restaurant simultaneously. It was a nicer place, a little more upscale than a family diner, but still fairly small and well-established. Nice, but not too nice, with excellent food.

"That place sounds good to me!" Peter grinned, and his parents agreed.

Ciara stood listening in, and she said quietly to Daizi, "I think I will head out and meet you there, if you do not mind. With a party this big, they may need a bit of warning to set up."

"It looks like our resident history teacher might need a few minutes, anyway," Jack chuckled. "I don't know where that is, so I'll follow you." He pulled out his phone to check it. "Oh, it looks like I received a call during the show. I should go return it."

"Now?" Sally asked.

"Don't worry, it won't take long, and if it does, I'll hang up on them," Jack said with a wink. He walked away from the group to find a quiet corner.

Dark looked up, "Do not be cute, it will only be a moment." Inside, he was twitching. He could see what they were trying to do, and it made him itch. If the Hollises paid, it would make him look like they needed charity, and if Ciara paid they were putting a bill on a single salary, and they were the ones who invited everyone out, it didn't make sense. It simply was not correct. Not to mention the Hollises had already done so much for them, it was his turn, wasn't it? And he couldn't invite his family out to eat and not pay for them. It was absurd.

"Oh, Ciara, the base of the car seat is still in your car, though," Daizi said, putting her arm around Alec, and she leaned down and whispered to him, "This may kill your father," before speaking up, "I can go with you to get it while Dark finishes up here."

Ciara hesitated and then nodded. "Very well. I had nearly forgotten, but I certainly do not need a car seat base, and you do."

"I'll come to carry the car seat," Alec volunteered, torn between finding the scenario humorous and genuinely concerned for his father.

"I guess I'll stay here and keep an eye on things?" Xander said, puzzled.

"Oh, we do," Daizi laughed, "Let me just get Dark's keys from him." Then, she walked up to her husband and said, "Breathe, Goose, it's not the end of the world," before kissing him quickly on his cheek--much to the horror of his fangirls--and getting the keys and, secretly, his wallet from him.

Then she met with Alec, and said, "Come help me, please, habibi," and as they walked out, she passed him Dark's wallet and murmured, "Call the restaurant, make your father's day."

"Really? Me? Okay," Alec promised, almost excited at his assignment. He made certain she was alright with the car seat and then went to do just that.

Meanwhile, Jack walked back, having finished his fully legitimate phone call. "Right, that's sorted. Are we ready?"

"In a moment, let him finish his conversation," Sally assured him, amused.

Daizi took a few moments to double check everything was secure, and then shut Dark's car and locked the door, "He'll let you pay next time," She told Ciara, "He just enjoys treating the people in his life. It took a long time for it to be an option for him."

With some hesitation, Dark directed his coworkers to the hand sanitizer station on the wall and then allowed only the most trusted of them to hold Ivy, although he felt particularly stressed when Mr. Major had her. He always seemed a bit clumsy. Then he took her back, allowed a few members of his 'fan club' to look at her, but not touch her, and then made a quick goodbye and, catching the eye of the Hollises and Xander, hurried out of the building.

Ciara hesitated, looking truly conflicted. "I suppose I can understand that," she admitted grudgingly, "but I would not wish to put a strain on your budget."

Xander fell in behind Dark immediately, and the Hollises followed behind.

Daizi smiled, "He would not have offered if he was worried about our budget. My husband, for all his faults and oddities, is very practical. And so am I. So you don't need to worry about us, I promise."

Ciara sighed. "Very well. I suppose we can trade off, and I will get the check next time."

Alec trotted over to give Daizi Dark's wallet back. "It's all arranged! And I feel so grown up and responsible and trusted now."

"And I will convince him not to argue next time," Daizi agreed amicably, "Or at least, I'll convince him to agree after only one or two points to the contrary. For his pride." Then she turned to Alec, taking the wallet from him, "Thank you, habibi. Now everything is settled. We will meet you at the restaurant, Ciara, thank you again for driving us."

Then, she got into the car with the rest of her family, and as they drove to the restaurant, she reached over and rubbed Dark's bicep, "Those students really love you, Goose."

"Of course. It was a pleasure having some time to speak with you singularly," Ciara said with a little nod of her head.

"They love mystery," Xander replied dryly, leaning back in his seat.

"And they love Ivy," Alec said, looking back to ensure that the Hollis family was following right behind. "But, of course, who wouldn't?"

Back