How Green Becomes Wood

"I'm not sure it takes a lot of courage if nobody even realizes you're standing there," Milo said, "My grandparents were mad when they learned about it, though. They said I should've called the police and stayed out of sight after getting an adult. 'What if that psycho comes after you next?' My grandad asked. He didn't like it when I told him he'd not be able to find me if I moved to New Mexico."

He scratched his arm and looked away. His mom said she was proud it him, when she learned. Then she left. Everything was different know, "Dunno. Been busy with my own stuff, I guess. And I guess I didn't realize it was a visitation thing. None of you are hospitalized or anything. Didn't really seem like you wanted visitors."

Alec stopped and turned to look at Milo. "Hey," he said gently, "Your grandparents love you and are scared to death, and they probably feel guilty that they weren't there for you more. They overreact because they know just how delicate life is." He reached out and put his hand lightly on the hand Milo was using to scratch. "I'm know you're mad at them, and you have every right to be. I'm not saying you shouldn't be mad at them, but just try to remember their side of things even while you are mad. At least they care enough to overreact." He moved his hand. "Anyway, you should totally drop by sometime! Xander could use the company. He's getting really bored." Alec glanced around and leaned close enough to whisper, "And it's a great excuse to not head home right after school. You're bringing some joy to a sick friend." He smiled and winked.

Milo looked up at Alec, but wasn't really ready to give his grandparents any grace. He had started to soften towards them slightly, but mother's day ripped that wound wide open again. He would've been able to spend it with his mom. But instead, she was basically a million miles away.

"I can," He told Alec, "I just need to know when. I don't like showing up anywhere unannounced, it's stressful."

"Or you could be the one to initiate," Alec suggested. "'Hey, Xander, is it alright if I come over at such-and-such time?' As his friend you basically have a standing invitation, and he won't be shy to tell you 'no' if it doesn't work. Like, this evening probably wouldn't work since Ba will be tired after his first day back, and Ivy didn't have a good morning, so Mama will be tired. How about tomorrow?"

"I guess you're right," Milo mumbled, "I just never want to... What's that word they use in old movies? Impose? Guess I figured he'd invite me over if he wanted to see me. I'll text him, though. See if he'd like me to come by after school tomorrow."

"To be honest, I don't think he'd think to invite you over for pretty much the same reason," Alec grinned. "You can always ask. He doesn't mind asking, and he doesn't mind saying no if it doesn't work for him, so it won't he a bother. I do think he'd like having you over."

Milo was still nervous about it, but he trusted Alec to know Xander better than he did, so he took out his phone and quickly texted, I hope you're doing okay. Do you think I could stop by after school tomorrow? Totally cool if not I know it's kinda tough rn and I know you probably just want to rest sorry

"I asked him," He told Xander, putting his phone away, "Is it even okay for him to be using his phone?"

Alec nodded, trying not to show how proud he was of Milo for taking the initiative like that for fear it'd be weird. "Yep! He does have to be careful not to use it too much, but he can text a little."

After a bit, Xander read the message and stared at it in surprise. Milo wanted to stop by? Huh. He texted back, Sure. Totally cool.

"I've never had a concussion. I know I get my ass kicked a lot, but I always cover my head, like you're supposed to during a tornado drill. And I run away old that." Milo told Alec, taking out his phone one last time to reply to Xander that he'd see him then. "I broke my arm once, though."

Alec winced. "I'm sorry. That hurts." He considered telling Milo about the arm he'd broken but decided not to share old war wounds. Instead, he said, "The band's been on hiatus since Xander's out of commission, and it might be a while before we're back to playing at the pizza parlor. At least the manager is pretty understanding." He heaved a sigh. "It might be for the best, anyway. Peter's been really distracted lately and not... performing as well as he does sometimes." Something, or rather someone, caught his eye behind Milo, and he shifted to watch them with mild interest.

"It's never good when someone named Peter is distracted," Milo commented, following Alec's gaze, "Has he toured any laboratories, lately? If not, maybe he fell in love in Australia. I am sorry about your band, though. Maybe when Xander recovers it'll get better, if Peter figures himself out. And doesn't take on night volunteering."

Alec didn't answer right away, gazing in the direction of a group of teens walking through the gym. Then he blinked and turned his attention back to Milo, smiling but confused. "Um... No? I don't think there have been any laboratory tours, but his parents do work in a lab, so, maybe?" He completely missed Milo's Spiderman reference even though he shouldn't have. "I suppose he might have fallen in love when he was visiting his family, but it doesn't strike me as that kind of distracted. It could be. I'm not exactly well-versed in love."

"Neither am I, but it's a happier explanation." Milo said, staring down at his hands, "Someone should get to be distracted thinking about happy things. We can't all..." He trailed off, bouncing one leg, feeling overwhelmed with his own stuff, and his anxiety for his mom, and he had watched his friends be assaulted, and his best friend had a concussion, and Peter wasn't even his friend, but he was his friend's friend and so he had to be empathetic and it all seemed like a whole bunch to juggle, and he wasn't particularly coordinated.

Alec reached out and lightly gripped Milo's leg. "It's okay," he said gently with a soft smile. "It'll be okay. It might not feel like it sometimes, but things do get better. Always. And right now, things are not... awful. Not great, but not awful, but at least some things, like Xander's concussion, are getting better every day." Realizing he was probably being way too touchy and familiar, Alec removed his and and scooted back a bit. "Sorry. It's habit. Anyway, it is probably something totally innocent. What was it you said a while back? A new game? It could be as simple as that! Those things can be all-encompasing!"

"I just feel like even though people aren't ever under any obligation to disclose what's going on with you, if you're being weird and different and you know you're being weird and different you should tell people, I don't know, 'I don't really want to talk about what's going on, but I'm kind of dealing with something, but everything is okay,' and just being different and distracted but refusing to acknowledge it at all when people try to check on you is selfish," He squeezed his hair for a moment, still bouncing his leg, "And I know that's not true and it's not fair and maybe he doesn't even realize and that's normal and I don't really like talking about those things either but I feel line there's a middle ground."

"You're probably right, and I think if I pushed him about it, he'd tell me what was going on, or at least why he can't talk about it, but for now, he just says it's fine whenever we ask him if everything's okay. I choose to believe him that everything is okay and he'll tell us when he's ready, but it can be weird. Very weird." Alec watched Milo for a minute before softly asking, "Have you been anywhere to take any cool pictures lately?"

Milo shook his head, "I've not really been going anywhere. I took a few with my mom. But that's it. I've not been doing much of anything. I don't like being home but I also don't like being in public."

"That's fair," Alec agreed. "What about finding a park and walking or riding your bike around it, pausing here and there to take pictures?" The warning bell rang, so he stood and made sure he had everything.

Alec couldn't resist putting his hand on Milo's shoulder. "Believe me, I understand," he said quietly. "You know how to find me if you need anything, okay? See you around." He patted Milo's shoulder. "I look forward to it." Then he hurried away to get to class.

Back