How Green Becomes Wood

"Enkidu is a family dog in that he'll look after everyone," Xander explained, "but, ultimately, he's Mama's dog, no question. Some dogs, though, they are a one person and done kind of dog. Like... let's say you got a dog, and you did all the walking, all the feeding, all the everything, but the dog decides it likes your mum better. Doesn't matter what either of you do, it's picked it's person. At best, it might tolerate you and accept some pets, but it's glued to your mum no matter what."

"Huh." Milo said, rubbing Enkidu's belly, "He just likes to be pet. He's definitely a very friendly dog. But I guess you can't really control if your dog is 'your' dog or not, right? If you live with someone else? So I think it makes sense to just want a dog and love that dog however they are."

"So philosophical," Xander said dryly. "But would you want to get one if you were living on your own and knew it was going to be 'your' dog?"

Xander stared at Milo. It seemed he'd forgotten the original question. Oh well. Whatever. His grandparents should be by to pick him up any minute now. Might as well make the best of it. "At least Enkidu likes you. Or your petting, anyway."

Sure enough, after just a few more minutes, Milo got a text that his grandfather was outside, so with a sigh, he stood up, put his shoes back on, and said goodbye to everyone, once again thanking Daizi for cooking dinner, told Xander he hoped he got better soon, and awkwardly scurried out of the house.

Alec called a cheerful goodbye and even leaned out the door enough to give Milo's grandparents a wave. Xander gave the appropriate goodbyes, telling Milo he'd see him later and good luck. Then, once he was certain Milo was gone, he laid down on the floor and closed his eyes. Alec turned Ivy back over to Dark and then came to sit on the floor next to Xander.

"Are you alright?" he asked softly.

Xander didn't say anything, just scooted closer to Alec without opening his eyes. He was so sore. So drained. So tired of being tired! And his head felt like it was caught in a fog of pressure. But it had been nice. Awkward, but nice.

Dark took Ivy and lingered for a few moments wondering if he should intervene and check on Xander, but instead he gently asked Ivy if she wanted to go to her nursery, in a tone that suggested he was knowingly taking the loud baby somewhere that she wouldn't be a disturbance.

After spending some time cleaning up the kitchen, Daizi too, went upstairs, giving the twins some space.

"I don't know if I can do this," Xander admitted to Alec softly. "All I want to do is fix it, but there's nothing to fix. I can't fix this. No one can. There's no good answer. Not really."

"No, you can't fix this, but you can support him. If you want to," Alec said, running his fingers lightly through Xander's hair to massage his scalp. That tended to ease the headaches.

"How so I do that without trying to fix it?" Xander asked.

Alec considered. "By just being, I suppose. His situation can improve, I think, but not through outside intervention."

Xander opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling. "He's got to speak up for himself."

"Mm-hmm," Alec agreed. "Hopefully without burning any bridges. But, getting a little mad might help."

"He seems mad enough to me already," Xander grumbled.

"Does he really? In your expert opinion as an angry person?"

Xander lay thinking about this for a few seconds. "No. Not enough, and not in the right ways," he finally admitted. He glanced up at Alec. "Helping people get angry, now that's something I'm good at." He sighed and closed his eyes. "Later. When my head doesn't hurt so much."

"Let's get you to bed and resting. You had a stressful evening, but I hope it was fun," Alec said.

Xander smiled a little as he rolled over and pushed himself up onto his feet. "Yeah. I'd like to do it again, I think."

Daizi did check on the twins later that evening, while Dark put Ivy to bed for the night. He and Daizi alternated who handled bedtime, but he very much enjoyed getting to sit with her in a dim room and rock her to sleep. Often, he would let her sleep for awhile in his arms before laying her down in her crib. She was too big for her bassinet, now, and even though it was a week before her adjusted age was six months, she was sleeping in the nursery at night, now, rather in their bedroom. In a way it was freeing. Their bedroom was only theirs, again. But it also meant she was growing up, and Dark had no idea what to do with his swan, now.

The week was hard because he hurt, and because he didn't want people to know he hurt. And, it was hard because Ivy was grumpier than usual, which certainly wasn't helpful to Xander, but it made leaving for work difficult, and Daizi felt frazzled when Ivy fought naptime during the day. But... things were improving, certainly. Dark's face didn't hurt quite as much, Xander went back to school. and the student body was less focused on Mr. Dark Camel fight, and more focused on the end of the year.

At lunch, on Tuesday, Sloan was telling the table how glad she was that her grade in English was high enough that she had been excused from the final.

Xander did improve quite a lot, though he still struggled a little with long-term concentration even more than usual and brain fog. Still, his ear finally cleared up and only occasionally gave him a bit of trouble. His headaches were almost entirely gone, and he was allowed to drive again, with caution. He couldn't help with Ivy, but he did try to help while he was home by doing more chores and taking over as many things Daizi normally did as he could just to help lighten her load a little. He didn't know what else to do, especially when Ivy's wailing made his head pound like day one. Things were better, and he was looking forward to going to school, for once, if only to get away from Ivy's fussing. He felt a twinge of guilt at his desire to escape, but it wasn't like he was of much use, anyway.

Alec was acting a little odd lately and was having trouble sleeping thanks to his weird dreams, but since everyone else was dealing with something, he chose not to talk about it. It wasn't a big deal, and they weren't all nightmares. He blamed the stress. That, and going to school for two weeks straight without Xander was hard. He was immensely grateful for the day when Xander got to join him at school. When Alec was home from school, he took Ivy from Daizi to give her a break, walking her and trying to soothe whatever ailed her until her father got home. It wasn't exactly a happy routine, but they were managing. At least, the twins were managing.

That Tuesday at lunch, Alec praised Sloan's achievement with only a slight amount of envy. It must be so nice to skip finals! Xander didn't share his enthusiasm, though he did tell Sloan she had done above and beyond. Peter looked like he was about to fall asleep at the table and wasn't even looking at his phone for once. Between whatever he was handling and cramming for finals, not even his cheer could hold up. Even Toby and his skater friends weren't as rowdy as normal.

It wasn't Dark's day in the cafeteria, but about halfway through the lunch period, he entered the room and came quicky to the twins' table, not needing to look around first. He knew where they sat.

"Hey." He said, looking frazzled in a way nobody but those who lived with him, and Cooger, would recognize, "I have to go home. I did not want you to notice I was not in my office to worry."

Alec and Xander both turned to him, their alarm growing the second they saw him. "Why?" Alec asked, starting to stand. "What's wrong? Is Mama hurt? Ivy? Are they okay?"

"It is not," He pushed his hair back, "It is not severe, she is teething, we think. And not coping well with it. I just wanted you both to know in case you passed by my classroom and I was not there. I will see you at home."

"Okay," Alec said. "Be safe driving. We'll see you at home, then."

Xander looked at Alec, puzzled. "Teething is... bad?"

"Remember our wisdom teeth?" Alec asked. "It's that, but all over."

Xander winced. "I remember. Ugh. But don't all babies go through that? What's the fear?"

"She's their sweet first baby who's in pain," Alec replied.

Xander nodded. "Noted. I got that."

Dark hurried out of the school, only just doing enough to alert everyone he was supposed to alert about the fact he was leaving. Admittedly, he was less concerned about Ivy, although hearing her cry like that over the phone did make it difficult for him to think, but it was the way Daizi begged for him to come home that rang in his ears. She needed him, she couldn't get Ivy to stop crying, she needed him home.

So he was going home, so he could help, but he kept thinking how easier it would have been for Daizi if had he been there all day.

After he left the cafeteria, Sloan looked hesitantly at the twins. His expression might have been as calm as it ever was, but she heard the difference in his voice, "Is everything okay?"

"Apparently, Ivy is teething and Mama asked Ba to come home," Alec admitted. "I'm worried it might be worse than he let on. Did you see his face? He's so close to freaking out!"

"They'll be fine," Xander assured him. "He'd tell us if there was something bad going on. He's not the type to lie."

Alec nodded, not entirely convinced but accepting Xander's assurance. "You're right. I'm sure it's fine."

Back