I'll Have the Narrative Platter, Please

Gattletowne

The Crowned Light of Midday Night
I am very excited to find this site, and I truly hope that we (myself and the Community) are as good a fit as I think we will be.

So I will get right in to what I hope I can find here, and we'll leave all the personal bits for when we're all friends and comfortable. I am a writer first and foremost, but I also have a love for role-playing that has spanned the last three decades of my life. Recently, these two interests have converged in an unexpected and interesting way.

I have always loved storytelling, and I have always been technically proficient in terms of actually writing, but I've never developed a system that has worked for me to bring the two together. I have never seen a project through to the end. A few months ago I made my most impressive attempt to date. I wrote several hundred pages of a rough draft over four months of daily writing, and then got overwhelmed with the scope of the story I was trying to write, and boom, I was done. I set it down and haven't looked at it since. A few months later I came across an actual-play role-playing podcast called Friends at the Table. The GM happened to be a regular on a console/PC gaming podcast I listened to weekly. Anyway, the FatT podcast was very interesting to me. I had grown up playing traditional AD&D tabletop RPGs that were mechanics/combat heavy. I enjoyed these games as a teenager, a twenty-something, and even into my early thirties, but this type of role-playing was different. The players had a very active co-creation role, along with the GM, and they played their characters with a refreshing honesty that placed an emphasis on interesting narrative rather than the advancement of their characters via some arbitrary rules matrix. Their characters and the abilities and skills they possessed merely provided color and flare to the ongoing saga that this group of role-players wove with their imaginations. The games they played, Dungeon World and The Sprawl, were still mechanics heavy, but it got me thinking. What if I could add some role-playing elements into my writing?

I started down the path of solitaire role-playing. One person, no GM. There are, believe it or not, systems out there that help you do just that, and it's not as silly as it sounds. I have adapted a system (I didn't create it, other people did the hard part) that helps me to add an element of chance and surprise into my writing that is fun and refreshing. It takes me down narrative paths I would have never considered otherwise. It has been such a good experience that I have decided to create a serial based on the results I am getting from 'playing' with this solitaire system. I began with nothing but the barest of setup frame work, and the name of my protagonist, and now the universe is growing in richness a depth. I'm very excited for it.

But I always come back to the FatT podcast, and I'm so impressed with the skill with which those individuals build and populate their worlds. It's humbling, and it' so much fun to listen to. So I think my goal here is to join a group of role-players (or run my own game) who's goal is to tell great stories without being bogged down with mechanics heavy games. That is not to say I am averse to systems or unwilling to learn a new game, but I'm interested in narrative and the creativity that can come from many minds rather than just one. And again, clearly a framing mechanism for context and randomness is useful, but narrative is the thing. Narrative is the best thing. I think that's what I'll be having, please.

1968804931.jpg

Also welcome to the site.

Hey there and welcome to Storyteller's Circle! Some of our Epic Roleplays might be just what you're looking for. They're very large, very immersive worlds with a strong narative, but they all rely on player collaboration and creativity rather than game mechanics.

Right now we have three open. Chronicles of the Omniverse and Equinox are both open to new players, and The Last Bastion is still accepting character submissions I believe. If none of those catch your eye, we have a couple more in the works that will be available in the somewhat near future I hope, and of course you're more than welcome to create your own roleplays :)

I would second the Epic Roleplay suggestion, that seems to the kind of thing that you're looking for.

Though with mechanics and tabletop being brought up so much I feel the need to note that forum roleplays very often have little to no actual mechanics behind them, where majority of the time it's all writing back and fourth between people. Now, there are RPs that do use mechanics, and some of those tend to be very successful. Whatever type of forum RPs you get involved in though, I hope you have a blast. And if you have any questions just let us know! :D

Hey Gattletowne,

Welcome to Storyteller's Circle. I like your outlook on narrative, it's refreshing to see somebody have it so strongly on the front of their minds. Usually it's more of a secondary goal for some or even something they accidentally stumble upon as they work their way through their writing and games. I think you'll do just fine here with us, plenty of like minded folks for you to share that goal with. I second the above suggestions on giving our Epic Roleplays a check sometime (and with a bit of bias, won't hesitate to say that it'd be awesome if the Omniverse caught your eye. Wouldn't mind some fresh blood in the areas of it that I'm in with a look for the overarching narrative being weaved foremost).

Also looking forward to see what you craft of your own for us too. By the way, can you got into a bit more detail as to what solitaire system you've been using for your writing? Sounds interesting and I'd like to know more about it.

First things first. My personal work will be coming very soon in the form of a serial I'll be posting on a yet-to-be created blog. Once I'm more comfortable here, and you all are comfortable with me, I'm sure I will shamelessly plug it. Along with the actual fiction, I'll be posting my 'role-play' as a supplement. There is some dice rolling for the sake of randomness and surprise, but the interested party will be able to directly see my methodology and the literal die rolls I made and how they directly affected the story.

That said, as part of the intro for that blog, I fully detail the solitaire system I used, which is almost entirely not my work, rather it is an adaptation of an existing system that I modified for my purposes. It's about 7 pages long. I'd be happy to post it here when there is time. I'm at work now and the doc is on my laptop, so it'll be a few hours. It is rather compelling and a fun writing experiment. I'm very happy with the results. I literally had the barest germ of an idea, a name I randomly generated from scifiideas.com, and now I have an unfolding universe (literally, the serial is a space adventure) that I am very excited to discover.

Greetings! I'm the Kid here. Just ask and I'll help with anything, from memes to story ideas.

Here comes dat boi

giphy.gif

Hey Gattletowne,

Welcome to Storyteller's Circle. I like your outlook on narrative, it's refreshing to see somebody have it so strongly on the front of their minds. Usually it's more of a secondary goal for some or even something they accidentally stumble upon as they work their way through their writing and games. I think you'll do just fine here with us, plenty of like minded folks for you to share that goal with. I second the above suggestions on giving our Epic Roleplays a check sometime (and with a bit of bias, won't hesitate to say that it'd be awesome if the Omniverse caught your eye. Wouldn't mind some fresh blood in the areas of it that I'm in with a look for the overarching narrative being weaved foremost).

Also looking forward to see what you craft of your own for us too. By the way, can you got into a bit more detail as to what solitaire system you've been using for your writing? Sounds interesting and I'd like to know more about it.

Topic is now posted in the main lobby!

Back