Inmortality

bisbeedog

If you had the option to become immortal but it couldn't be reversed would you take it? I for one don't think I would because I don't want to see all of my friends and family die

That'd be an instant no for me, I get the appeal but the only way I'd accept that is as some sort of (hopefully) benevolant but otherwise indifferent spirit. Aka, not leashed by the laws and expectations of society.

If existence ends at death, yes. If there's a Heaven, Hell, or any other form of Afterlife, no.

I'd have to say no as well... The idea of living forever seems really lonely to me. Like you said you'd have to watch everyone you care about grow older and leave you behind/die and even if you made new friends they too would grow old.

I don't understand why nobody would take it. If you only lived forever you go achieve so much without worrying about anything. It would feel so much greater if you were also invulnerable because then you could just do whatever you wanted. So friends die but friends leave all the time. As you travel through the ages you can meet so many amazing people and spend some amazing time with them before you or they go. Maybe it's just because I'm kinda anti-social but I never understood why anybody wouldn't take that deal if given the chance.

I wouldn't take it. Immortality is appealing on the outside, but when it's your life, your losses, your pain, suddenly the outlook isn't so bright.

My emotions are finite and limited. Once they are worn off, they turn to dust and become lost in the fabric of time - and thus I would become unable to pursue life as I was meant to be. So I would probably say no, even if that would mean I would miss out on many adventures this new power would grant me.

What adventures though. You could live so many different lives hell if your immortal who knows what kind of science fiction crap would be invented when you're like two hundred years old. People are trying to sound emotional and artistic like they'd lose so much if they gained so much more. That just doesn't make logical sense to me.

I can't judge accurately what my immortal life would be like, so I judged based on what I have seen and experienced up to this point. And to be honest, I definitely don't want to live if I'm still going to be who I am. I neither hate myself or this life, and I have encountered many wonderful things, but I just don't want this to continue on for 100+ years, let alone a millennium. Perhaps I could find some way to manage it if I become some kind of benevolent spirit, like Bee wrote earlier, but I'm not certain if I would still be able to appreciate all the things that have led me to be who I am.

I am not trying sound emotional, just trying to be as honest as I can without revealing too much about myself.

Meh, Alright. I've seen some pretty terrible things too and maybe I won't understand you but I can get a general idea. It's just after a while i've stopped caring which has made life so much easier.

Ah, okay. I find it difficult to stop caring. Perhaps I could get to that point one day, but I doubt that I would get there anytime soon.

No. Not because my friends and family would die. Not because my future's wife/husband or children may die. I say no because when everything dies, when all of humanity dies off and ceases to be, I will be all that is left. A fate I'd rather not live.

I'd take it. Might as well. Life is about seeing what is out there, and... Having unlimited time makes that so much... Easier.

There's a few big questions that immortality always brings up- are you just frozen as you are right now? In that case you wouldn't be able to make new memories, wouldn't be able to change or grow or improve, you would be stuck exactly as you are, right now, forever. If it doesn't, do you keep ageing until you're a pile of mush? And if your body doesn't age but you can continue to experience new things, how long until the universe is just subjectively flashing by, under the weight of all the time that you have seen?

Just logistically, I have to say no.

If it's immunity from old-age, and I stay at around 30 odd or something, then yes. If it's immunity from old age, but I just get older and older and older... possibly. If I'm completely invulnerable to any and all damage that may be inflicted upon me, then totally. I really, really don't want to die whatsoever, so any sort of immortality would be incredible, unless I'm dependant on someone/something to give me said power - I really don't like being dependant.

Even beyond the death of all your loved ones, it would drive you to insanity. The first few centuries might be amazing, you are very content, but eventually you will just feel empty. Millennium will pass, civilizations destroyed, you will inevitably at some point seek death. It depends on the person, but eternity in general is a frightening thought.

I have been wondering how a immortal being would think. How would an intelligent immortal that has been around for thousands of years perceive things? how would it act? think about it over the course of a normal humans life we change in so many ways. i would choose to be immortal in order to experience this, yes loosing loved ones is hard but i am sure after so long you would get used to it and find a way to get cope.

How would an intelligent immortal that has been around for thousands of years perceive things?
You assume it to have a linear point of view. It's very possible that an entity of sufficient intelligence, experience, and power is no longer bound to a linear sense of things.

It's quite possible that immortality leads to a form of life that is beyond human comprehension. Our existence is defined by our limitations, remove them, and we will change into something... Else. Life, after all, is not stagnant. It is ever changing. It is only safe to assume that our immortality would not change this. It's not taking a snapshot and holding it forever. That is not how existence works.

It's quite possible that immortality leads to a form of life that is beyond human comprehension. [...] Life, after all, is not stagnant.
I think that it could be the opposite. After all, we will still be human, and while life is not stagnant, human nature might be. If immortality itself is not enough to change our nature then we could be confined in our linear human state for an eternity, unless immortality brings in other factors into the equation in ways that we cannot possibly imagine.

The first few centuries might be amazing, you are very content, but eventually you will just feel empty. Millennium will pass, civilizations destroyed, you will inevitably at some point seek death. It depends on the person, but eternity in general is a frightening thought.
That reminds me of this one character I heard of. The guy lived millions and millions of years, but he eventually grew tired of his life and wants to end it. Problem is that he's basically immortal, so he wages war on the mortals in search of a way to die. I have no idea what story/franchise this guy is from though.

It's quite possible that immortality leads to a form of life that is beyond human comprehension. Our existence is defined by our limitations, remove them, and we will change into something... Else. Life, after all, is not stagnant. It is ever changing.
That is a good point. Over years, decades, centuries, millenium, we as our own species are evolving into something more efficient and powerful.

I have been wondering how a immortal being would think. How would an intelligent immortal that has been around for thousands of years perceive things? how would it act?
This would ultimately depend on when do you want to know what they think? The first couple hundred years or so they are an average human, but as Nilum pointed out, they will continue to grow and defy limitation until there aren't any remaining. The first millennium of their life, they might be the wisest and most powerful human. It depends on where you put your finger at on the infinite timeline. They are eternally adapting and tempering out the weak links of their being until they achieve what is, for that time, most efficient.

Back