Legend of Renalta Book One: Awakening

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
Chapter 1: The Estate

Three weeks ago, Amora Mann--A Liverian Nobleman in exile--made the call for adventurers to arrive in the capital of the Kingdom of Renalta. There, each candidate was evaluated at the Mann Estate, where several applied, but only a few were accepted over time until, one week ago, Amora had acquired the group he was looking for to set out on his adventure to find the princess of legend.

The same day that Amora had finally selected his last candidate for the adventuring group, he gathered them together and explained to them what it was they were going to do. In one week, they were going to set out together on horseback to travel toward the northern mountains, wherein his reliable but secretive source of information has given him a lead on where the princess might be. It would only be about four days of travel at the most--maybe five if they were impeded, assuming they went at a relatively efficient pace. It would be a short journey, but an important one for the future of the kingdom in which they lived. The restoration of the princess would restore the vigour and spirits of the Kingdom of Renalta, and potentially heal the divisions between the Kingdom of Liveria and the Kingdom of Renalta through finding a member of the royal family that both Kingdoms love.

A few things would be easily noticeable upon staying for a week at the Mann Estate. It was gated off from the surrounding community, giving it an isolated feeling in the midst of an otherwise busy and lively city. It was a quiet place, with few servants, and even fewer guards--no more than a dozen in total for the entire estate. To the untrained eye, the Estate was a marvelous, quiet, and beautiful place which was well maintained and clean. To the eyes of a nobleman, however, it was clear that this was the Estate of a noble family in decline--lacking business, and whose once prominent members have either perished or fallen from grace. Indeed, only two members of the Mann family even lived here anymore--Amora Mann, and his elderly uncle.

It has been one week since then. Today is the day that Amora and those adventurers he has recruited will leave, in the mid-morning hours. Most would be waking up in the early morning, and would have around three to four hours to ready themselves for the journey ahead.

The sun was starting to peek over the horizon on a cloudless sky, with the city itself already coming to life with merchants offering their goods and services to anyone passing by. It was warm, and comfortable, in spite of the lacklustre number of servants maintaining the Estate itself. A perfect, quiet morning, to begin a new adventure…

Marcus and Alice - Early Observations
(Feat @Nilum as Marcus)​

It was a calm day in Amora’s Estate. Marcus had woken up early and had already eaten by the time most were just starting to stir from their beds. He was already in his armour as most were starting to simply get dressed, the almost bell-like ringing of equipment with each step warned of his approach several seconds in advance. Atop of his battle equipment, he had a large supply sack loaded to the brim with supplies, slung over his shoulder. He was inspecting those he happened to pass by, and gauging whether or not they were ready for their duties, though he was definitely more intent on finding his compatriots.

He did not have to search long to find Alice, who was already completely decked out in her gear. Furrowing eyebrows denote momentary suspicion, before they soften with the rest of his facial expression into relief. “Good Morning, Alice. It is good to see another ready for not just combat, but the journey ahead.”

Alice was in ‘her’ room at this point, having finished her early routine of breakfast and morning practice. Her sword was on a desk, unsheathed and airing out, after having been cleaned and sharpened. She looked up from a book when Marcus spoke to her, one eyebrow raised in annoyance before she recognised the man for who he was. His ringing armour had announced someone’s presence, but she wasn’t sure - nor much cared - who it was until he actually spoke. “Life is best tackled with rigorous preparation and discipline, not that I need to tell you that.” She closed the book as she rose from the seat, looking up at the significantly taller Marcus. She wasn’t exactly used to being so often-and-thoroughly dwarfed, but Marcus - as well as a few others on the trip - were certainly on the tall side. “I assume you are here for more than just the view?”

“Can’t say I care for the view overly much,” Marcus retorts with an amused expression plastered on his face as he crosses his arms and leans in her doorway. “Can’t say I expected a Liverian noblewoman to deign to lower herself to journeying with the commoners like this, so you’ll excuse me if I don’t engage in your political bullshit: What are you doing here?”

“I wonder what things you can say? Not that you’d be able to say, I’m sure.” She said, offering a retaliatory smile to the Renaltan. “As for my purpose here… My country, my family, and especially me have rhyme, reason, and cause to make Renalta strong again. I would heal the schism between our countries, and being a part of the journey that helped find the Princess again is a strong step in the right direction.” She moved towards her sword at this point, producing a whetstone so as to begin sharpening it before pausing. “Is that enough ‘political bullshit’ for you? Are we done? I did not expect to be accosted in my room of all places. There are perfectly good training grounds, if you wish to throw more daggers in my direction.”

With a sigh, Marcus loosens the small rope tying his sheathed weapon to his side. He puts it outside of the room, alongside his greatsword on his back, and his shield. He then takes a step into Alice’s room, unarmed, and closes the door behind himself as he stares straight at her. There was a grimace across his face, his shoulders seemed heavy with a weight that could not be seen. Finally, he speaks, quietly. “I fought in the war. I'm sure you did too. So my question is more directed at whether or not you want peace between us, or if you want to dominate Renalta with your politics.”

Alice paused for a moment, watching as Marcus disarmed himself before stepping past the threshold of her adopted abode. She dropped the whetstone on the table and stepped away from her sword, waiting as Marcus spoke briefly about his past, and further pressed her on her intent. Shaking her head she looked up at the man, mild irritation inflaming her gaze. “No, I did not fight in the war. I was too young at the time. My father fought in the war, and my mother was killed in it. She was a Renaltan by birth, and she was shot in the head by a sloppily trained peasant with a gun; all while trying to speak with her brother.” There was a hint of genuine anger in Alice’s voice as she stepped up to the significantly taller Renaltan. “As easy as it is to paint the Liverians as the villains in the Civil War, your people weren’t the only brothers fighting brothers. Both countries made mistakes.” Her gaze did not leave Marcus’, but she sighed heavily as her anger melted away. “To answer your question, I don’t seek to dominate Renalta with ‘politics.’ I just want to see my mother’s homeland prosper. I want a prospering alliance, because it will benefit of our countries, and someday I might like to be able to meet my grandfather. Is that alright with you, or is that something else you can’t say?”

Marcus hesitates, being somewhat taken aback by the fact that the woman in front of him had not served in the war. It also seemed that he was not prepared for the deeply personal life’s story she had shared with him. Nonetheless, he replies, his tone taking on a somewhat more respectful nature. “That is admirable. You and I have the same goals in mind.” He pats her on the shoulder, then looks over her to the blade she had been working on. “Finely made. A little light for my tastes, though.”

Alice kept her glance on the man, noticing the touch on her shoulder but ignoring it with cold indifference. She let him speak, before turning to her sword and lifting it from the desk. “I am strong, but not strong enough to ignore a weapon’s weight. I imagine yours is a more brute-force focused style of combat, whereas I am more focused on pace and finesse. It certainly suits my purposes, if nothing else.” She paused for a moment, before offering the sword to Marcus. “It is my pride. With it, I hope to change the world.”

Marcus eyes the blade as it’s offered to him, and quietly takes it with his right hand. Taking a step back from Alice, he slowly lifts the blade up until the tip is between his eyes, then looks it down to its handle. “Renaltan,” he mutters seemingly to himself as he then looks at the base of the handle. For once, a smile creases his face. “I know who forged this. Stubborn old dwarf refused to ever let any mages help him with his craft… Too prideful for it.” He then steps to the side and takes a couple of surprisingly fast swings with it, testing it. “Balanced. As usual.” He straightens himself out, and holds the blade at the base so as to present the hilt to the Liverian noble. “You will never change the world with a sword. You have much to learn, but your heart seems to be in the right place.” He takes a step back toward the door, though continues to face her.

She takes the sword from him, frowning for a moment as she looked down upon the mastercrafted blade. “I won’t be able to save the Princess with good intentions, Marcus of Renalta.” She lay the blade back upon the desk, before reaching for a pen and paper. “I assume we are done here?”

“For the moment. I merely needed to see where you stood.” Marcus quietly takes the last few steps back out of her room, and reaches for his equipment as he starts putting it back on. As he slings the greatsword back onto his back, he takes a final glance in Alice’s direction, to see if she would pursue things further or leave them well enough alone.

Alice’s head was down as she jotted a few notes on the loose pages of parchment. Just as the larger man turned the corner, he would hear the soft hum of a recognisable tune; an old Renaltan children’s rhyme, and a vestige of their shared heritage.

Dancing Ground
(Feat @LimeyPanda as Alice and @Orion as Dean)

Ofri was bored. She was tired of wandering the halls or hanging out in the kitchen or watching bigger and stronger people do whatever it was bigger and stronger people did. They had been running and swinging at each other all day and frankly it had gotten boring to watch after a while. There was simply too many ugly noises, so once the training ground wasn’t occupied by duels Ofri walked into the center with her coin collar around her neck. She had left her shoes by the edges and dropped her satchel next to them.

The ground was dusty and hard from so many feet pounding it down then scraping it up. She took her time to pick up a small handful of the dust and rub it between her hands before tapping her feet to a beat no one else could hear. Ofri began humming the melody and rose her dusty hands over her head to clap once, twice, and a third time before she began to spring into leaps and twirls. Rather than letting her song be barely a whisper to only her ears she let her magic carry it further around the pitch. It didn’t carry into the house or the grounds beyond the dust, but hopefully it would attract other people who wanted to dance instead of fight.

Having finished in the library for the day, and having retrieved her sword from her room, Alice moved towards the training grounds with her usual purpose and enthusiasm. She enjoyed her swordplay, and she enjoyed being able to practice it as often as she did at Amora’s estate. At home, she might go a whole week only getting to practice once, after all. Which made the sounds of some unknown and over-loud melody coming from inside the grounds all the more unusual, and all the more annoying for it. She pushed open the last door and saw Ofri, bored and alone. Instead of practicing however, she was...dancing?

“You seem to be lost. This is the training grounds...for training. I’m sure you would find the garden a more suitable place to practice your dancing.” She frowned as she approached the woman, having called out as soon as she was sure she was within earshot. It was strange how the melody did not seem to grow louder as she got closer...strange.

Rather than respond to the confused woman, who perhaps didn’t quite understand commoner culture, Ofri continued to spin, leap, and flourish. When she finished her song she dropped into a curtsy in front of the noble and rose with one corner of her lip twitched up into a crooked smile. The music had completely dropped once her head was bowed in respect.

“I am training. I finally landed on my feet rather than on my ass in the middle, but I suppose you missed it.”

Alice wrinkled her nose at the crass address the woman gave, despite her adequate dancing display. She had seen more impressive dances at court, where the music was more formal and the balls more civilised, but Ofri’s display did have a certain spirit to it, if nothing else. “I mean, I did not miss you landing on your feet, but that still does not answer my question. Why here and not outside? This place is meant for combat, not for idle amusement.”

“There are better acoustics in here. Outside is… There are too many interfering winds. It’s easier to stay here when the only wind is controlled by me.” Ofri was on her feet again, actually on her toes, and idly dancing around as she spoke. Her movements didn’t seem to interfere with her breath at all; she still spoke clearly no matter how quickly she spun.

“And you say this like I couldn’t bring these skills to a fight. I may not have the huge pointy thing that you do, but I do have my own,” she stopped spinning and slid her hands down her sides with a wiggle of her hips. A moment later two darts shot out from her corset and into the wall behind Alice. Her aim was definitely wide, as if she didn’t trust herself to get much closer to the woman without also risking hitting her. “Methods to surviving a fight.”

There was a half-step when the daggers slipped out from the dress, just quick enough to turn her body sideways and face Ofri side-on as the needles shot far from the target. Her frown grew more serious for a moment, her hand resting on the handle of her blade as she let Ofri finish speaking. “That trick will work exactly once in a fight. It offers you no real, reliable way to dent armour, or a shield, and you’ll have to be very precise not to just hit bone. From here, I could kill you in a step.” She pondered for a moment, glancing at Ofri’s hip. “Where is your weapon? No shortsword, or even a dagger? Are you just ignoring the existence of Templars? Are you hoping and praying that people will not be wearing helmets? At this rate, you’d be killed by a peasant with a broom if they felt like it.”

“You could, but I’m cute.” Ofri giggled then sighed and rested on the balls of her feet rather than her toes. Her lips didn’t move, but her voice snuck behind Alice’s ear and hissed “behind you.” Assuming Alice moved to the sound, Ofri would send out two more darts, but this time drive them into the ground by Alice’s feet. “It doesn’t have to work once. I can keep doing this for a very long time. I have tricks here and there. I don’t see why someone in a full suit of armor would come for me. Like you said, I look like a peasant could end me on a whim.”

Ofri yawned and stretched before jumping back onto her toes and smiling. “Templars would be a problem, I suppose, but then you’re there, right? And Marcus. And a bunch of other people. If a Templar is coming for us a lot of us would be in a bind.”

Alice did not move at the sound of the voice on the wind. She had heard Ofri’s voice on the wind previously, and had basically figured out that her magic let her carry things over distance; her voice, these needles, and perhaps more besides. She observed the needles hit the ground in front of her feet and she sighed. “An armoured target is more likely to deal with an easy-to-kill target if they can. You also have at least some magic, which will further exacerbate your targetability.” In a single fluid motion, Alice drew her sword and waited; observing Ofri hop backwards on her toes. The woman liked to dance, well; perhaps it was time to test her footwork.

The Noblewoman surged forward, sword point low as she stabbed its tip into the ground between the dancer’s feet. “As for templars, Marcus and I will not be able to defend every defanged mage. If you think your looks will save you; contemplate the fate of the rabbit, or the lamb.” She paused for a moment, letting her words sink in for a couple of seconds before shouting. “Move!” With a flourish, Alice brought the sword up from the ground and around her body, before moving the tip towards Ofri. She would either stop the tip an inch from the serving girl’s throat, or she would allow the woman to dodge. It was hardly the quickest thrust, but it was enough to get her point across

The sure signs of an argument lured Dean to the training grounds. The days at the Manor had proven to be far quieter than Dean thought they’d be, and he had spent his time with little to do. As little as he liked to admit it, he was glad when he heard the first of the bickering, signaling at least something of interest to come. The scene playing out before him involved a pair of his new companions, and not on the most amicable terms. Dean observed at first as the two fought, and traded insights. One seemed brash, the other almost a reflection of himself. He hadn't thought it would be necessary to react, the women didn't seem interested in harming one another after all, but as the sparring continued moods soured, and suddenly Dean wasn't sure anymore.

Surging forward as he noticed Alice starting her stride, Dean reached for the buckler slung on his back and gripped the sword at his hip. Putting the shield firmly in the path of Alice’s swing Dean prepared himself for the impact. “A lucky thing for the Lamb and the rabbit that our group holds more than just the likes of you and Marcus then. Plenty of help for those in need.”

Of course she got herself into a stickier situation. Of course. It was easy to stumble back when the blade was between her big toes, but the swing almost caught her off guard. Without the flourish and the verbal warning she might have had to worry about her neck. Instead she dropped onto her back, her legs folded beneath her as Alice swung above her. And then, of course, there was a man between her and Alice.

Ofri looked up from her prone position to see Dean between her and Alice with his shield catching her blade. She started giggling and bounced back onto her feet behind Dean. She threw her arms around his neck and got onto her toes to give him a quick peck on the cheek. “My hero! The lion to save the lamb, how perfect!” After a moment she slid back to give the man his space. Ofri took this moment to give Alice the same cocksure smile she had provided before. “See? I think I’ll be fine.”

Alice managed to see the approaching Dean in her peripheral, so her grip loosened slightly as her sword collided with the buckler, so as to lessen the reverberation shooting up her arm. Seeing the trite display between the two had the noble rolling her eyes, but she saw a brief opportunity in front of her. Stepping back, she glanced Dean up and down, noting every flaw in his stance, every misstep and every unbalancing lean. “You think this one will save you? That is so misguided it is almost cute. You may see a Lion, but I see a boy whose only weapons are good intentions and a shield held too tightly.” She lifted her weapon up, getting into a comfortable side-on stance. “I tell you what boy, if you can stop me from reaching her in three moves, I will give you my sword. Then we shall see if an unprotected dancer is safe on the battlefield.”

Dean backed away as Alice made her offer, he smiled wide in jest as Ofri stood back. “Good intentions? Holding my shield too tightly? Harsh criticism from a woman I barely know. As far as your offer extends though, well if Ofri is willing to put herself on the line I'm willing to test myself.”

Ofri shrugged and dusted off her hands against her skirt. She smiled at Alice and ducked into another curtsy again. “I’ll place my faith in him. After all, if you actually touch me we have enough healers to put me back together.” A moment passed before she reached to gently squeeze Dean’s shoulder. “Nooot that we’ll need one, right?”

Dean got a true smile from Ofri before she took a few steps back. Should Dean simply fold in the first strike Ofri felt confident she could get some dust into Alice’s eyes and run the hell away.

Alice looked at the two and shook her head, almost dumbstruck by the casualness that they approached this strange courtship ritual. “En garde, then.” With that, Alice swung her blade wide and from the right, a powerful blow on his shield hand to test how he’d deal with a direct hit. With such a tightly gripped shield, it would surely hurt, if nothing else. Her footwork had her at a reasonable distance, using her swords length advantage and leveraging it against his shorter weapon. With her free hand, she simply waited; using it to balance and seeing how he reacted.

With the challenge accepted and Alice springing into immediate action Dean was left with little action than to turn on the defensive. Bringing his shield into the path of Alice’s swing once more Dean took the brunt of her strike with the buckler, and cringed as the shock sprang up his arm. Recovering as quickly as he could, he tried to move closer cutting the distance between them, and reducing the use of her blade. As he neared in, he decided to throw his elbow to her chin attempting to catch her off guard.

Alice was glad to see that Dean had the sense and wherewithal to block her blow, although he did it poorly, indeed. His stance was sloppy when he took the blow, taking the entire force of it as opposed to letting it slide off the shield’s length and deflecting it. Multiple blows like that would have him with a dead arm in a minute, not that the boy was intent to let the fight last that long. He tried to go on the offensive, moving inside her circle of range and trying to close the distance. It was an admirable attempt, if nothing else. She saw the elbow moving to her face and with the free hand, she caught the clumsy blow mid-flight. “And like that, we are done.” With a grip on his elbow, Alice stepped one leg forward, slipping it beyond and behind Dean’s; before gently pushing him backwards. Dean would have no choice but to stumble over her waiting leg, tripping him onto the floor. With no hesitation, Alice would then move forward to Ofri in a blink, raising the sword and...moving to bop her on the forehead with the hilt. “Lamb, with a side of good intentions.”

Ofri was quick to try and help Dean, but then had to stumble back as he fell. She looked up to protest Alice’s actions, and instead found the hilt of a sword on her noggin. The young woman wrinkled her nose up at Alice and huffed. She didn’t like being wrong.

“Then I’ll prove you wrong later on. I assume both of us will, at some point.” Ofri resisted the urge to stomp her foot in the dust. She took a deep breath and calmly walked out of the room, stopping only to slip her shoes back on and sling her satchel over her shoulder. One foot was out the door before she remembered to collect her darts and needles. A moment later her voice was again slowly flowing through the manor as she sashayed down the corridor to a new song.

Dean laid quietly on the ground after being tripped. He sighed lightly observing Alice and Ofri close out their discussion. “I guess that's just how these things play out then.” he climbed to his feet and brushed the trace remains of dirt from his pants. “Well fought Alice, you'll have to show me that trick someday.”

Alice sighs as she observes Ofri storm off. It was disappointing to see the woman leave without actually grasping the point of Alice’s display. She had wanted to offer at least
to the tavern girl. Basics on how to use a stiletto, or how to use a club, or just anything that might keep her alive. As it was, she seemed like such a frailty amongst their group that it left the noblewoman concerned. Dean, at least, provided some grounds for learning and improvement. He was at least willing to learn.

Turning to approach Dean, Alice sheathed her sword and walked around the young man, observing him like a butcher would observe livestock. “I will happily show you that and more, but let’s start with the basics, shall we? You hold that shield too tightly, your footwork is sloppy, and you started a fight without even drawing your sword. If you loosen your grip on the shield, you’ll be able to move it better; parry blows instead of just running into them. You should have your feet in a line with your shoulders, it’ll help you move and react quicker. Finally, don’t
start a fight without your weapon drawn. Even if you never intend to kill someone with it, you can’t well stop an enemy’s dagger with hopes and dreams.” She finished circling Dean, stopping to glance into the man’s eyes. “Practice those things, and seek out Marcus. He will also be able to help you with training; and he seems more likely to teach you a variety of skills. I for one do not use a shield much, he might enlighten you further. Understood?”

Standing as still as possible Dean took in all that the ‘advice’ that Alice listed out. The list was long and Dean got the distinct sense that helpful as it was, Alice didn't exactly do it from the kindness of her heart, but more as a mechanical response from her noticing all the mistakes he had made. Regardless he smiled as best he could, and pushed what ever boiling irritation he could down. “Solid advice I’m sure. Guess that’s what I get from going in a bit too cocksure.” he raised an arm behind his head to scratch the back of his neck. “You're pretty intense, aren't you?”

Alice looked over Dean, taking in the strange tension in his ‘thanks’. She recognised a little of it as indignation; she’d seen that from men she’d duelled many times in the past. There was a little something more though. Something worth keeping an eye on. “You may call me what you like, I call myself efficient. If you are to be my travelling companion for a time, and if you are to keep our fellows alive, it is best that I help you improve, no?” She observed him one last time, before looking towards the exit that Ofri had so quickly scarpered through. “You, at least, have merits outside of a pretty face and a chirpy disposition. She might actually need a lion some day soon, and lions do best when they have claws.” She glanced in the direction of the open window, taking in the rough time at a glance of the sun’s position. “I have other things to attend to, are we done?”

“Efficient is a fair word as well. In fact I almost prefer it.” he said with a light chuckle. His eyes measured the woman before him as they probably should have before starting their bout. She carried herself proudly, almost as if she were on display at all times, even with peasants like Dean that had met some precious few there would be no doubt Alice was some kind of nobility. Dean shrugged as Alice delivered what he perceived as a compliment. “I think it's important to remember we all have merits outside of even our ability in combat. Claws are useful tools, no argument here, but they're terrible at more delicate tasks.” he followed her glance first towards the window, and then tracked back to the exit. “And as far as your other matters, after seeing you move I'm sure I couldn't stop you if I tried… though I might prefer joining you on your way, if I won't be a nuisance?”

“You may join me if you wish. I’m going to the stables to attend to Philip. He isn’t used to the environment, so if he doesn’t see a familiar face daily he might become skittish.” She turned on her heels and made towards the exit, not waiting for Dean as she began to think about the rest of the upcoming day. Once they were outside, she broke her silence to begin plying the boy with questions. “You come from Renalta, yes? Tell me what it was like growing up in this country.”

Dean mulled the question for some seconds, an awkward silence falling between them. He wondered if there was some insightful answer he could provide, but to him Renalta was a simple place with kind people and ideals to strive for. “In truth? Probably far quieter than a nation at War with itself had any right to be. My village was left untouched, and the people were mostly at peace through out. It took plenty of work every day to keep it that way, but I consider myself lucky despite that.” Dean followed close at Alice’s heels, giving him an unsettling sensation in the back of his mind. He quickened his pace to join her side. “What of you? Liverian I'd say, though not from a village. What was it like living on the other side of the border?”

She pondered his answer briefly, wondering how far his village might have been from the family she did not know, before reflecting on her own answer. “I did not know anything else but Liveria. My father was kind to me, as was my mother until the end. I was privileged enough to live in luxury, but I saw enough in the war to know that luxury was not enough. It is perhaps why I am so, how did you put it, ‘intense’?”

Mention of his previous comment was enough to bring him out of his own thoughts of home, and everything that place now represented. “I'm sorry for your loss Alice.” he tried his best to manage a sympathetic face “I hope you didn't take that as an insult. Without intensity wars would never be won. It's as good a trait to have as any others I could think of.” The pieces started to fall into place as Alice spoke, and he couldn't help but respect what he saw. “Privilege and luxury, eh? Yet neither of those explain your formidable skill, or why someone in such a position would lend themselves to a goal such as Amora has suggested. Are you a thrill seeker, or is there something more?”

Alice offered Dean a little wry smile as he got apologetic. It was amusing to see him backpedal. “There is no offence to be had. As for why I’m here, I suppose I want what most people want; a strong Renalta. It would provide a strong trading partner to my home land, and if I were a direct component of the Renaltan resurrection then my place in Liverian history would be assured. I would be a hero of two countries, perhaps even a locus for the eventual reunification of our two homelands, in one form or another.” She shrugged, glancing towards the stables in the distance. “As for my skills - I’m a very dedicated woman. When I want something, I get it. If I set my mind to understanding the correct ways to run a mining estate, I will master it. If I decide to learn every form of swordcraft available to me, I do it. It’s part of my intensity.” She smirked again, before turning to Dean. “But I think we are done here, Dean, the Lion. I meant it when I said you should seek out Marcus. He would be the best whetstone to sharpen your claws upon. Otherwise you can chase after the dancing girl. She seemed fond of you.” She turned on her heels to walk the distance to the stables; one ear open for the peasant-boy’s reply.

Dean pondered her words, his curiosity piqued as she described an almost unlimited aptitude for whatever she wished to do. As she separated from him for the stables Dean stood smiling at nothing in particular. “In my experience most people tend to grow fond of me given enough time, but while dancing girls are all well and good I fear that fate may drag me to more uncharted terrains. It was nice to be beaten by, and then speak with you Alice. I wish every beating preceded talks like this.” With that he turned for his own path, Alice had provided a valuable lead on where next he should go, and surely a man of Marcus’ size couldn't be so difficult to find.

Confrontation in the Library
@Blackstone as Sabine
@LimeyPanda as Alice
The week that Amora had stated as mandatory to stay at the estate had grown into an idle expanse, stretching far too long for Sabine’s liking. For those who needed to acquire a new skill for the journey or prepare for the road ahead, it made sense. For her, it was just another stop on the road. The one boon of it all was the comfort and relaxation she could not normally afford -- but even that was growing tiresome.

In the library, she had skimmed over the collection. There were volumes on magic, philosophy, history and more, but it had not interested her entirely. She had grown weary of that under the care of her grandparents. Instead, she found a book of stories and settled inside a bay window overlooking the gardens to entertain herself.

For the last few days, Alice had made herself comfortable in the surroundings of Amora’s estate. She had formed a simple enough routine which included a daily visit to the library. There, she observed various databooks on the agriculture of Renalta, or the alternative methods employed by Renaltans to mine the northern mountain border, occasionally she even got to writing her own notes and observations - although those were all kept impossible to read in a personal leather journal.

It wasn’t until the third day, when she pushed open the library doors and noticed Sabine in the window for a third time in a row that she began to feel a little glimmer of annoyance. She had hoped to get a moment to herself, but alas it was not meant to be. Instead she moved over to a shelf, picking out a book on the genealogy of Renaltan nobles and royalty and found a seat at a table in the pleasant breeze of the open window. It was nice to have the smell of bread as she read her otherwise dry texts.

“What are you reading?” She said, hoping to catch the mercenary off guard. She was not sure what the woman’s game was, but she wasn’t sure she believed in coincidence enough to just ignore this woman for a third day in a row. Besides that, she felt it important to at least start to understand her travelling companions before they were on the road.

She peeks up from the book, tilting it slightly to read the cover herself. “Something from Rheinfeld, fairy tales. They like to grow them superstitious, looks like,” she shrugs. “Find something interesting yourself? Or is it another one of those stuffy books I can’t read without falling asleep?”

“That certainly confirms you’ve been keeping tabs on my reading habits.” Alice frowned a little, placing the book down on the table as she turned the chair to more openly face Sabine. “Should I be concerned? It hardly seems fitting for people whose lives will depend on each other soon enough to start snooping.” Her stare hardened in on Sabine’s face, trying to get a good feel of the woman’s motives without relying on just the words that came tumbling out. One developed the ability to read the faces of bad liars in the Liverian courts.

A frown creases at her brow as she closes her book with a sigh. “Doesn’t it?” Sabine inquires, “What do any of us really know of each other?” She nods towards a table across the way stacked with discarded books, “Did you know if you come in here while everyone else is settling into bed for the evening, you can see Sisera with a lamp and a book… and you can come back in the morning, and he’s still at it?” She crooks her head, “And you can watch Ofri, trying so hard to make friends and help out even before we leave, at work in the kitchens.” She shrugs, “And you often focus to one side in your training-- have you been up against many off-handed opponents?”

“I’m aware of my own training habits. What I was not aware of was the serial nature of your snooping. Here I thought it was only me who was under your eye.” She said, smiling slightly. “Those who look for secrets so often have the most to hide, after all. Not that it matters to me.” She stretched out her arms in boredom as she breathed in the smell of warm baked bread. She was starting to get hungry, but now there was something else to get her teeth into. “As for my experience against the off-handed, I am ambidextrous. It is a useful trick to have up one’s sleeve in a duel. Condition someone to expect only your main-hand attack, and you make the off-hand retort far more devastating.” She glanced at the weapon at Sabine’s hip and rolled her eyes. “It’s certainly no magic, but it works just as well as a more flashy trick.” She said, wondering how quickly it would take for Sabine to pick up on the little breadcrumb.

The mercenary raises her brows in surprise. “Oh. Well, that’s reassuring to know. I was worried about it.” She shakes her head, “I don’t think it’ll always come down to magic and fancy tricks to pull us through, though. Sometimes it’s knowing where our shortcomings are as a whole.” She scratches through her hair, “Like, if Sisera isn’t sleeping, maybe we can’t always rely on him in the thick of things to perform where he needs. Or, maybe Ofri, being able to cook will keep us from catching food poisoning.” She smiles sheepishly, “You said yourself, our lives will depend on each other, right?”

Sabine stretches out in the balcony, crossing her arms behind her head, “Not to imply I’m perfect. I can probably learn something from you or Marcus when it comes to handling a blade, and how to not get stabbed. Maybe we could spar on the way to wherever we’re going?”

“I’ve noticed your form, don’t worry. You tend to over-commit to swings, probably too used to being bailed out by those tricks of yours. A smarter warrior will abuse that and knock you off balance. It doesn’t matter what damage you can do if you’re facing the dirt and are disarmed.” She shrugged, letting the pretense of non-observation drop.

She gets a slightly crooked smile, snorting, “Is this about my watching people, or that I haven’t just been watching you? Because it seems like you’ve been watching me too.”

Alice rolled her eyes as she leaned backwards into the chair. “Do not flatter yourself. Dean’s general talents with the sword can be summed up as trying-hard and hoping. Ofri’s attempts at combat are contemptible and frankly embarrassing. Sisera might be stronger than most, but he moves like a solid clash-of-blades would snap him like a twig. Only Marcus presents himself as someone dedicated enough to the arts of War to consistently match me, although people are well within their rights to surprise me. You, for example. I did not expect you to admit to your snooping so readily. It implies a strange honesty which is at least refreshing.” She paused, before flipping open the cover of the book to see a sketched picture of their quest’s obsession. Alice rolled her eyes at the over-the-top exaggeration of her beauty, before flicking onto the next page. “If you really wish to practice on the journey, I will not turn you down. I suspect Marcus might also take up the role; he is quite the busybody, after all.”

“He’s not the only one. I think this is the most relaxed I’ve seen you since getting here.” Sabine looks back out to the garden, “If we’re aiming to be skilled enough to handle anything, I should train with you both. You fight with very different weapons…” She frowns, looking up to Alice -- something she has had to do quite a deal more than she liked with this group. “And, I suspect you aren’t used to people who use magic. Better to get that out of the way so you aren’t caught off-guard.”

“It is not the position of someone in my place to be ‘relaxed’. I refuse to fester in my noble state. I shall strive to learn, and become an exemplar in all things; otherwise I will be overtaken by someone who works harder and wants it more.” She flicked through the pages of the book, one by one as she spoke. “As for dealing with mages, I don’t think knowing about how the person who throws fireballs does so will change my answer. A sword through the throat silences all mages.”

Sabine strains to keep a cordial smile, “Unless of course they’re adept at healing themselves. Or can throw their voice. Mages are tricky.” She cranes her head to look at the front plate of the book in Alice’s hands. “I meant more, though, acquainting yourself for when they will inevitably throw fireballs, or shoot lightning from their eyes. It used to take me by surprise, too, when I was new to Renalta. It was always scarce or secretive back home. Not that I know how things are at court, so excuse my making assumptions based solely on my experiences with our homeland.”

She frowned, before sighing. “No, I suppose you’re right. Nor is it really like that at court, as much as I might wish it to be.” She lifted up the front cover of the book, so as to make the title known to Sabine. “More of a personal ethos, I suppose. One I intend to make fashionable, if I can help it.” She flicked through more pages, stories about fallen vampires and Peasant-kings. Perhaps the books the pair were reading were not so far from each other after all. “I suppose if I’m to help you with swordcraft, it only makes sense that you help me with understanding magic. To tackle a problem, one must be informed about it after all.”

“All that is rather admirable, if that means anything considering the source,” she picks up her book, pushing away from her window seat. “I look forward to it, though… But, for now, I have a few more meals to get in before we start eating what constitutes food on the road,” she tips the book at her brow in salute. “I think I smell Ofri cooking something sweet, best get that before it’s all gone.”

She groans in protestation at the mention of travelling food. “Ugh, don't remind me of my future, it is too much to bare.” She offered a smile towards the woman, before turning in her seat to face her book. “Do not let me keep you. I have a bit more reading to do before I move to the kitchens. This talk was enlightening, so I appreciate you acquiescing to my curiosity.” She focused in on the Renaltan stories as Sabine left the library. When she was finally finished, she reached for the leather journal and made some final notes to herself, before tucking the volume away.

The Skirmisher's Lesson
@Blackstone as Sabine
@Nilum as Marcus​

There was only so many nights she could spend drinking and days spent lazing about. The time she had been at Amora’s estate was beginning to show. Her abdomen was getting soft and she was feeling sluggish. She did not know the last time she had been still for so long. She enjoyed traveling the road and meeting new people. She met these people, she was ready to walk into the sunset, now.

Yet, they were all there, still. Amora had told them a week. That seemed impossibly long after the period of his recruitment. She needed to expend this pent up energy, and it brought her to the sparring ground. Stepping into the stamped down ring, she takes a deep breath. She was unsure how long it had been since she had last been in a proper training area. Since she had been with her relatives, likely. She crinkles her nose, dusting her hands and proceeds to stretch to limber up.

The blade always felt heavy in her hand. Her instructor had always scolded her to use something more refined and suited to her frame-type. He meant to call her delicate. It was rebellious in nature that she selected the crude, albeit effective, backsword. A blunted edge amused her, but more important, it felt solid.

Sabine had slipped from her practice routine that her tutor had beat into her. Now, she enters a ready stance and begins to run through the motions. It was sloppy. She knew it. She would have been reprimanded. She hardly cared, though. She scarcely used the style since leaving. She achieved the same effect with her brute ministrations.

“Poor form is attractive only to the carrion,” Marcus speaks as though he is quoting something directly. He had entered the training area as quietly as he could, though the sound of the metal on his boots scraping against the floor likely did away with any such hopes of subtlety. He takes off the greatsword on his back and lays it on the floor, alongside the blade at his waist and the shield to go with it. “... And to the damned who seek to ruin you.”

“Don’t know about any damned out to get me, but I suppose I’ve made enemies along the way. Who hasn’t?” She relaxes out of her stance, looking curiously at Marcus’ odd ritual. “Sorry, if you wanted the ring, I can leave. Or, you can join me. I’m none too picky.”

Once he finishes laying his weapons and shield out on the floor, he takes a deep breath and slowly stands up. Walking to a rack of training weapons, he grabs a pair of weighted wooden blades, and throws one to Sabine’s feet. Marcus takes a couple of testing swings with the one he kept, ensuring its balanced nature before looking to Sabine. “If you wish to learn a few lessons of war, then this veteran will teach you.”

“I don’t hold myself a warrior, but who am I to turn down a free lesson from someone more learned,” she sighs, holding the wooden weapon. Sabine passes on any testing measures, shifting opposite of Marcus as she waves a hand. “Where do I start?”

Marcus takes a few steps around Sabine, circling her from a few feet away as he holds his makeshift weapon toward the dirt. He looks over her form, and oddly enough, decides on keeping his helmet on in spite of it closing off his peripheral vision. “On the defensive.” With a single, well practiced movement, the man rushes toward her with a surprising speed for someone his size, much like a bear descending upon a fox.

She was not ready. His bum-rush took her by surprise. Foregoing her blade, she throws herself out of his charge, tucking and rolling upon the ground to come back on her feet. She skitters quickly to get her bearings, raising her blade to the ready to intercept the next time.

Dust had been kicked up in the charge. Having lost sight of her opponent, even for a moment, was enough for him to lash out toward her side in a single, precise movement. There was no hesitation in his attacks, and by the time she was able to perceive it, the swing was already halfway toward her side, giving her only moments to react.

She shifts the training sword, sluggish and her grip loose, to try and stop Marcus’ blow. As it makes impact, the force reverberates up her arm and the weapon is knocked free. She stumbles away quickly to avoid any impending strikes with her wanting defense broken, looking up at Marcus with her hands open. “I have… much to learn?”

“You do.” Marcus steps over to her as he tosses the wooden training blade aside. Stepping toward her, he motions to her real weapon. “What is the purpose of that tool?”

“To make change,” she states simply.

“No.” His tone was sharp, and the narrowing look in his dark blue eyes spoke of concern, and something else that was too difficult to read. “A sword does not produce anything. You cannot use it to build a home, nor write laws into effect. A sword does one thing.” He kicks her training blade to her feet. “It cuts. When you use it against another person, you are using it expressly to cut them down. In all likelihood, kill them. Therefore, if you are always on the defensive, what will happen to you?”

Her gaze is hard as she cautiously retrieves the training tool. “You live, until your defense breaks.” She offers a wry smile, “I don’t need a lecture about death.” She shifts, trying to keep her distance pace for pace. “Blades cut. As do words. It’s what we do with them that makes the difference. You say cut them -- its not the blade, that’s the person. We choose,” she shrugs, “Cut. Defend. Make sliced cheese,” she shifts on her feet to move in and sweep in towards his feet, trying to use her smaller stature, “I choose.”

“Words convey ideas. If a word cuts, the wise learn from it, the foolish are bled by it. Swords act upon the world, and only in a manner to rip things asunder.” He kneels down and picks up his wooden training blade. “You use this to kill someone. If you have any other mentality in using it, you will quickly find that an opponent will overwhelm you. The art of combat is the art of removing all distractions and all illusions of philosophy. It is just you, and your opponent, and whomever is more skilled and more willing to kill wins the day. That is the lesson I am trying to convey.”

She stops in her tracks, a frown tugging at her lips. “There’s no winning the day when there’s senseless death. If you’re a veteran at your age, you should know that.” She glowers up at him stubbornly. “We aren’t on a mission of destruction and slaughter, or if we are, I have been greatly deceived as to Master Mann’s intentions.”

“You have not, but consider…” Marcus takes a few steps away from Sabine, as he kneels beside his equipment. “... Nearly all of us are competent in combat. He did not recruit chefs or labourers, and arguably, he has recruited only one entertainer. Everyone else is at least trained, to varying degrees of competence, on combat.” He makes a broad, sweeping motion with his arm across the entire training area. “This place is sacred. If you make a mistake here that would end your life, you get to learn from it, and avoid repeating it again. When we enter combat--not if, given our quest will take us directly into the path of violent competitors--we need to be ready for it. Part of that is in your mind. Take your training seriously, because out there, nothing is sacred. I am not teaching you to be a brutal killer, I am teaching you how to survive.”

She gives a long moment of pause, regarding Marcus and his words. “Then, I suppose I better learn fast.” She averts her gaze to the crossguard of the toy weapon. “So… again, at the top?”

On Friendship and Horses.
Co-written with @Grothnor

‘Hold your horses’ was a saying that truly trivialised the situation. The current one being so saturated with frustration that the still stabled horses tails swished apprehensively. A sign that Rosvita now understood was not a good one. She couldn’t remember the creature’s name. It was something extensive in a language foreign to her, she assumed it was supposed to sound noble. As was his task of carrying her on this journey. However, Rosvita had decided on ‘Damon’ in the hopes that not many would connect to the fact that the word, to her and her people, actually meant ‘demon’. She thought it much more fitting.

Their silent tug of war continued in the sharp morning air. The demon had decided to be utterly disruptive, on today of all days, and had taken on the position of leaning back on his hind legs and refusing to move. Rosvita hauled on the reins that had taken her a good thirty minutes to put on correctly. It was an experience unpleasant for the both of them. Her arms were beginning to ache and the demon’s teeth must be threatening to fall out by now.

“What do you want, you terror?” she practically snarled, releasing her grip slightly.

Apparently that was all the encouragement that the nuisance needed, as he took off at a sudden spritely trot that took her by surprise and ripped the reins from her hands. His ears were forward and his steps high as he went on his way to explore the yard and most likely harass someone else.

With a grunt, Rosvita ripped off the leather finger guard that she was still wearing, threw it into the dirt, and trudged after him.

Tycho had been taking his horse, whom he hadn't bothered to learn the name of, out for its paces, struggling to re-familiarize himself with the various techniques for riding He had been doing a decent job of steering his mount around various obstacles at a leisurely trot until an unexpected obstacle raced into his path. Tycho's horse reared and whinnied at the sudden approach of Damon. Tycho barely managed to keep his place on the saddle. “Cazzo, you stupid animal!” His horse seemed to want to be away from Damon, but Tycho managed to bring his mount to a full stop. Damon circled the pair of them playfully while Tycho noticed the dirtied and frustrated Rosvita approaching. “Oy, could you do me a favor...” Tycho clumsily tried guiding his horse around, only for Damon to head them off again. “...and get this pezzo di merda [piece of shit] out of my way before I turn him into glue?”

“Are favors not reserved for friends? I heard those don’t threaten each other’s” - Rosvita paused as she hopped out of the way of her prancing horse - “noble steeds.”

She then came to an uneasy stop nearby, observing with a slight air of alarm that she tried to subdue, though it carried through to her tone which was still also agitated. There must be something wrong with the creature. She’d never come across something so high-spirited, and therefore in her books; something must not be right. Had this been a sword-swinging attacker, she’d have felt far more comfortable. Unfortunately, she didn’t think burying a knife between this apparently innocent creature’s ears would be acceptable. Although putting it down was starting to present itself as a viable option.

“I apologise, me and my boisterous friend seem to have got off on the wrong foot. And we have six between us, so that’s quite the feat” Rosvita said, waiting for the right moment to snatch at the reins and attempt to regain control.

She managed to do so in the passing few seconds, though her horse seemed to think the game was still in progress and continued to test her ever-contracting limits.

“Indeed.” Tycho responded flatly as he watched Rosvita’s attempts at regaining control of her horse. “Nearly knocking me off my horse is a sour introduction, and as skilled as I suspect our host is at the healing arts, I doubt he has a cure for a broken neck.” He glared at Damon as he spoke, conveying that the majority of his ire, if not all, was not directed at Rosvita. “I am curious to know why you seem to think we’re friends, especially after hardly a week of acquaintance and-” he gestured dismissively towards Damon, “-this incident.”

“It was more a mere question, not a statement. Though, I am used to my favors putting me in danger’s way. But being trampled to death would not be a particularly glorious way to go, but then again, neither would you falling off and snapping your neck ” she replied, following his gaze to her mount who had sneakily crept forward. The horse’s ears were wonky and his head was stretched towards her. If she had learnt anything about their body language, she would have said that he had been planning on taking a chunk out of her arm with his teeth. Rosvita scoffed and shook the reins to make him backup before turning back to Tycho.

“I’m sure this incident will be one of the less life-threatening ones we shall share, so if that is a standard to gain your friendship, I can’t say we shall ever be friends. But, perhaps that is the impression you wish to have upon me” she said, offering an odd tentative smile that seemed out of place on her rather tattered face.

An expression much more cohesive soon replaced it, as Damon the demon saw his opportunity and snatched at the back of her shoulder in a calculated bite.

“The fact that this will most likely be one of the least life-threatening situations we encounter bodes….” He struggled to find an appropriate word for a moment before giving up with a shrug. “I suppose I’ll have my work cut out for me, then.” He gave a wry smile, followed by a disappointed sigh when his words became prophetic as Damon bit her. “Check that later,” Tycho said in a tired way while riding off. “If he didn’t break skin, don’t bother me.”

Rosvita was too busy being flustered to pay much attention to Tycho as he wandered off. Once she’d shook Damon to a distance she deemed safe, she turned her head to watch the healer sway away with a frown. Beyond any possible fatalities, the encounter had left her mildly baffled and feeling a little out of place. Simply, she knew how it boded: badly.

She scratched at the marks on her jaw, something she did when she was nervous. Then, with a small sigh, she considered her mount again. Taking the hand away from her face, she reached out and pet him on the nose awkwardly.

“Looks like I’ll have my work cut out for me too, with such personalities. Is that why we don’t get along? Are you somewhat of a grumpy old man too?”

The horse snorted in agreement.

Mesdemoiselles
Charlotte & Alice
@Holmishire and @LimeyPanda

Carving an apple with her dagger, Charlotte left the kitchen at an hour much earlier than her usual; perhaps the first time since sheèd arrived at the estate that she’d found herself enjoying a full night’s rest. As such, when she stepped into the mess, she was surprised to see a woman already seated therein. It took only a moment for the girl to take note of the striking white hair, and a moment longer to recognize the face—a Liverian noble, in the flesh.

Attempting to compose herself, she made her way over to hesitantly sit across from the noblewoman. With a light rap of her knuckles against the wood to ensure she had captured her attention, Charlotte spoke up. “Lady Moineau, it’s a—” She paused, momentarily struggling to restrain an eager smile. “It is a pleasure to find you here; I am Charlotte, daughter of House Niverolle. Will you be accompanying Lord Mann?”

Alice had been in quiet contemplation as she ate her breakfast when the rapping of bone on wood alerted her to the silent compatriot opposite her. She was quite surprised to see the woman, having not heard her approach in the slightest. The tawny-haired woman stumbled briefly through an introduction, and one that was most intriguing indeed. “Do not worry yourself too much with semantics around me. I expect that even at your worst, you will be one of the most well spoken amongst our companions.” She reached for a cup of tea, taking a sip of the Renaltan brew - despite finding it a little bland for her taste. She looked Charlotte up and down, before continuing. “I have certainly heard of House Niverolle, but not of you. In fact, I thought I had met the only daughter of the House at a few balls in the past. Charming enough woman, if not a little… placid for my own liking. Not that there's anything wrong with contentment, it is just, well, I certainly wouldn’t be joining Amora on a mission like this if I were content, I suppose.”

With her permission accepted, Charlotte visibly relaxed. “The Lord’s brother, Osmont, is my father—I’m not surprised that you’d not have heard of me. An illegitimate child, to boot. They covered it up so well not even I knew ‘til I was halfway a woman.” She frowned, her memory not so quick on the details of her companion’s biography, having spent several years beyond the reach of the court. “Osmont spoke highly of you—he served as vassal to your father, in the war. Though I somehow doubt he’d have foreseen our meeting here, of all places.”

Alice paused to listen to Charlotte explain her heritage in summary, nodding along until she mentioned Osmont. “Is Sir Osmont the one with the crooked nose? He had the most charming mustache. Similar colour as your hair in-fact.” In truth, Alice could not remember the man. She refused to admit as such, of course; pulling on one of the many nameless faces she remembered from between War-camps in those long bygone days. “I shall have to call upon him again when we return to Liveria. Perhaps I can even organise a meeting with my own father. It would warm his heart to see an old acquaintance, I’m sure.” Alice smiled, taking another sip of tea before letting her eyes bore into Charlotte’s. “Now, why does a woman of clearly intriguing birth and Liverian heritage join a mission like this? I doubt the council would select you for the role, which hints at a more personal motive; perhaps a connection with the Traître Seigneur? What connection do you have with Amora?”

“None, I’m afraid. It’s a good job, maybe even a good cause; the Princess could do a lot of good on both sides of the border.” Though a bit put off by Alice’s less-than-accurate description of her father, she chose not to draw attention to it and risk embarrassing her. Still, it did warn her not be too trusting, regardless of family history, so she kept purposefully vague on her motives for now. “But Lord Mann is no traitor, just a man chased from his home. If you think ill of him, why are you here?” Her tone switched to one of mock-confidentiality, but a keen ear could tell that she was testing the waters. “Sent by the Council to spy on our little rogue summoner?”

“No. I am here, much as you say, because the Princess can do a lot of good for Liveria. Mann may not be a man I trust, but his mission to find the Princess is a means to an end. Even if his past actions lead me to be suspicious of him, there is no current better use of my time.” Alice’s cold facade remained unmoved, even as she damned and dismissed the ‘past actions’ of the lost nobility of Liveria. She did not much appreciate Charlotte’s tone, but she respected her need to know more. Engagement done crudely was better than passivity done well.

Charlotte straightened, and when she spoke next it was with a bit more consideration. “I’m sure you have far more reason to distrust him than I. I’ve hardly been keeping up with courtly news—certainly not to the extent of a Council-woman such as yourself. Of noble birth or not, I’ve been living on the road for quite some time now.” She hesitated. “You… did have a seat on the Council, didn’t you? Or was that just your father.”

“It would be disingenuous to claim my father’s seat. I am accomplished in many things, but I have yet to attain status that would place me on the council.” She shrugged at the woman’s mistake, nonplussed by it. A seat on the council would help her achieve her goals, but it was not the goal in-and-of itself. “Why have you been travelling for so long? It would seem foolish of lord Niverolle to cut ties with you, even if you are not his daughter.”

She shrugged. “I’m still a bastard; there will always be a woman who’d rather see me gone—or have never seen me at all.” From her troubled expression, there was clearly more that she could say on the subject, but she seemed to be holding herself back. She put on a bit of a smile. “Besides, it’s like you said: there’s nothing wrong with being content, is there, but we’re both here, aren’t we? Finding things is exciting, and finding a princess most exciting of all! Although,” she added less jovially, finally carving out the whole core of the apple in her hands with a jerk, “things I find do have a tendency of winding up dead.”

Alice’s eyebrow raised at the final, jerking motion of the apple’s dissection. There was a certain threat to the woman which Alice had not fully appreciated before her less-than-subtle remark at the Princess’ expense. For a moment, Alice’s hidden hand reached for her sword. Was this woman probing for an ally in some dastardly assassination plot? Perhaps she was just trying to better gauge Alice’s own responses. It was difficult to fully understand this Charlotte figure, which made her all the more intriguing. “Let us hope that you can control your excitement then, for the Princess’ sake.” She looked at the drink before her, mostly drained, and sighed. “Let us take a brief step back. What is your attachment to ‘Lord’ Mann? Amora must have done something exceptional for you to earn that loyalty.”

“Hardly. He’s my employer; if I am to expect his trust, I must first give him my own.” Her grim look vanished, replaced by one of pensiveness. “‘Give the benefit of the doubt’. Until I have reason to believe otherwise, I see no point in judging a man harshly for past actions that did not affect me in the slightest.”

Alice frowned for a moment, wondering whether she should bring up her knowledge of Mann’s flight from Liveria. It was hardly a pretty picture, for Liveria or for Mann. No one came out a winner in the story of a mage killing Witch Hunters and fleeing Liveria. Was it self-defence, was it callous misuse of magic, or was it just a tragedy? She’d wait until she knew more details before making a choice. “Context is all that stops us shaking hands with killers and kin-slayers. By your logic, you would forgive the Archangel for his abhorrent acts against us and our sister-country. I would not. Perhaps that makes you better than me, or perhaps it makes you more gullible.”

Charlotte gently placed the apple—now quartered—onto the table, alongside her knife, and gave Alice her full attention. “His actions have affected me, and like hell would I ever forgive him. But that does not mean that he is beyond common ground, or beyond redemption.” She shrugged. “I have simply extended the same courtesy to Lord Mann as I do all my employers.” She lifted an apple slice. “I turn a blind eye, for now at least. It’s not my job to decide who’s wrong and what’s right.”

“What a strange logic you run on...” She said, almost dismissive of how one might perceive the statement as insulting. She lifted her hand in decline at the offer of a slice of apple, openly in thought as she let her eyes bore into Charlotte’s. “I think I will enjoy travelling with you. Your morals and ethics are not so easily figured out as many in the capital. Truth be told, it is quite boring there at times.”

Rising from her seat, Alice swiped up the last of her own breakfast, seemingly a fruit-and-bread ensemble, and turned towards the door. “I think, as interesting as it would be to trade words with you all day, that I should move on with my day. I have practice to attend to, after all. Thank you for your company, Charlotte, not-quite-of House Niverolle.” She gently tipped her head, giving the woman a last chance to talk before she moved on.

“Good day, Lady Moineau,” was all she said, careful not to betray anything in the inflection of her words. Charlotte set the apple slice back on the table—frustrated that she’d spoken perhaps too openly, and already scared off a potential ally.

A Soldier, an Assassin, and Faith
Collab between Laurenz Eckhart and Emilia Lang Lehmann @Nilum

Laurenz returns to his room to find the door itself unlocked. A mixture of curiosity and alarm wash over him as he flings the door open to find one of the group standing in his room, hunched over his pack, seemingly rifling through his belongings. He makes his presence known, half asking, half demanding, that they identify themselves.”Who are you, and what are you doing in here?” He fills the doorway, preventing an easy escape, with his arms crossed as he stares into the back of the person.

The figure rifling through his belongings stops in its tracks as the door opens, and as he speaks his demands, he would hear a quiet, feminine giggle. She stands up slowly and looks over at him lazily with a pair of green eyes, though her knees were slightly bent, ready to spring into action if need be. She switches to her native tongue, so as to avoid having to speak with an accent. “(Rheinfelder) Emilia. Do you not remember? I was just seeing what kind of person you are. Lots of little battle scars, as I thought I would see...”

Laurenz relaxes his stance slightly once he knows that it isn’t just a random thief, though he doesn’t move from the doorway just yet. “(Rheinfelder) Ah, yes. I remember you, although I similarly don’t know much about you. Do you prefer sneaking into people’s rooms over asking them questions?”

Emilia gives a somewhat puzzled look, then smiles from ear to ear. “(Rheinfelder) You learn more by seeing how a person lives, naked, and without the lies that words bring.” She sighs and slowly steps toward the window of Laurenz’s room, maintaining her rather easygoing grin in the meantime. “(Rheinfelder) What about you? You cannot tell me you have never been curious about someone else...”

The Rheinfelder raises an eyebrow, but offers a slight nod. “(Rheinfelder) A fair point. But just looking at possessions without context will not give what most seek.” He leans on the frame of the door, contemplating Emilia’s last words. “(Rheinfelder) I am rarely curious about others. If they want me to know something, they’d tell me. If not, then I’d either learn it over time, or never learn it at all. Such is a soldier’s view on the matter. Though you are an exception…” He gives a sideways glance at the woman, a hint of a question sitting at the back of his mind.

Noticing his look, she makes an assumption and her smile turns somewhat playful as she leans against the window, making no effort to hide what meagre sex appeal she possessed. “(Rheinfelder) Am I now?”

“(Rheinfelder) Yes, though not in the way you seem to be suggesting. You are hiding a great many pains, or perhaps experiences. One does not simply forget the eyes of a killer, former or otherwise, fraulein.” He moves out of the doorway and closes it behind him. “(Rheinfelder) Forgive me for being so forward, but it is only fair since you’ve been digging through my belongings… What have you seen? What things have you done that would give such a young thing those eyes?”

Emilia pauses, pondering the question that Laurenz asked her. It seemed she was mulling over how to respond. The edges of her lips falter a little from their well practiced visage of a playful girl, but quickly her face brightens up with happiness again as she realizes the window behind her had no lock on it. “(Rheinfelder) You should know better than to back a woman into a corner and ask her for her secrets, Soldier. I have seen enough to know that secrets rule the world, and they are not to be traded so lightly.”

“(Rheinfelder) Or stolen from others.” The soldier sighs, and opens the door once more. “(Rheinfelder) If you think I’m trying to corner you, then it shows me why you root through others’ possessions. If you don’t wish a fair trade of secrets, then so be it.” At this, the man moves out of the doorway, an invitation to leave presented.

“(Rheinfelder) I wasn’t going to take anything!” Emilia crosses her arms over her chest and glowers at the man. Nonetheless, she walks away from the window, getting about halfway between the window and him. She was starting to relax, a little. “(Rheinfelder) This is just, you know, literally how I survive. You can ask questions, and stuff, just know that words aren’t always trustworthy. You know?”

Laurenz offers a look that is half-pity, half-respect. “(Rheinfelder) I’m aware trust isn’t always taken for granted, but men like me, soldiers? We learn to trust the men and women at our sides more than anything. If I cannot trust the warrior next to me, then he might as well be an empty space.” He moves past the woman to his belongings, rummaging through the pack, looking for a specific item. Once he finds it, he takes it in his hand, and turns to face Emilia. “(Rheinfelder) I know words can’t always be trusted, but a person’s actions show who deserves their trust.” He hands her the item, a small scroll with a wax seal, bearing a crest. “If you want to know who I am, it’s in there. If you want to know my motives, come ask me directly.”

Emilia intentionally stepped aside, preventing any sort of contact when Laurenz stepped past her. Aside from that, however, as she edged closer to the door, she found herself surprised when he simply handed her his scroll of pedigree. She eyes him for a moment, then opens it and quickly looks it over. “(Rheinfelder) Ah. Words on pages. I know much about how those things deceive, too… But, I do remember you. I was there, at a couple of those battles. Also, that family name, it rings bells...” She gently puts the scroll of pedigree back in his hands, and for once, rests her hands atop his as she looks up into his eyes with sympathy. “(Rheinfelder) You’ve heard of me, I’m sure. I would never do anything to hurt a countryman like you. So, know this… I am on a mission. The most important mission I have ever been given. I will end this war that plagues our people and I will do it through finding the princess. Have faith in me, as I will in you that these papers are true, and that the gun you wield was found through honourable means.”

“(Rheinfelder) Faith? I haven’t had faith for years now. But I will trust you. As long as you intend to end that hellish war, then you will find an ally in me.” He rolls the scroll back up, keeping it in hand. “(Rheinfelder) I left that land because of the horrors I witnessed there, the same horrors I witness every night. I fight so that no Rheinfelder is forced to shed his brother’s blood any longer. Faith manages, Sister.” He takes her hand in his, giving her a soldier’s handshake as he looks into her eyes. Somewhere in the void still beats the heart of a proper Rheinfeld man.

She shakes his hand back, and stares right back at him with her green eyes. “(Rheinfelder) It is the only reason I have left my beautiful homeland. Now, uh… Unless you plan on pulling me closer, please, let go of my hand.” Her words are followed with a playful wink as she fully relaxes with the situation.

The soldier releases his grip on Emilia, nodding slightly. “Now I’m sure you’ve plans on sneaking into every other room in the house, and I can hardly stop you.” He had switched to Common as he turns back to his belongings, returning the scroll to it’s place in his bag. “Just try not to get caught again.”

“What fun would there be if I never got caught?” Emilia smirks as she replies in common, her words dripping with double entendre as she slips out of the room in utter silence.

Mann's Garden
@Nilum as Noelle
@Blackstone as Sabine
@slade as Sisera​

The sun was starting to barely peek above the horizon, its orange rays casting themselves only dimly across the courtyard of the Mann estate. Long shadows cast by trees and bushes streak across the grass. Amidst this, a tall elven woman steps around, quietly admiring the plant life and how well sculpted and maintained it was. Every blade of grass was cut efficiently, every bush shaped into uniformity, every tree stood exactly where it was supposed to be.
Order, amidst chaos.

There were, however, others. Mostly servants. As the elven woman turns the corner on a small footpath, she spots a couple of familiar faces: Sisera, and Sabine. She ignores Sabine for the time being, and approaches Sisera from behind. Sisera would, perhaps, be surprised by the sound of her gentle voice, unaccompanied by the noises of her plate armour that was left sitting inside the estate itself. “Sisera, how are you doing? Are you finally sleeping better?” Upon seeing her, it was clear that she was wearing little more than a plain, dark grey dress, which perhaps would ordinarily be unflattering were it not for the symbol of the mage’s collective upon the back and front of it. Her hair flowed around her shoulders freely, as opposed to being cooped up in her helmet--a rather feminine look for the fighter that Sisera was probably more familiar with.

The interruption to the quiet of the garden draws Sabine’s attention from the leatherbound volume in her hands. She thumbs along the edge of the worn vellum, about to crease the corner before thinking better, and instead plucking a blossom to press between pages. She had been watching her companions for awhile now, and seeing Noelle without her shell, and the potential to see Sisera engaged with others, it was hard not to eavesdrop.

If Sisera was taken aback by Noelle’s appearance, he did not show it other than to scan the dress she wore before turning his faded violet eyes back to her own. It was rare to see the amazon in anything other than her armor but today seemed to be the exception for many things as Sisera himself was without the two swords normally sheathed to his waist, having kept them upstairs in his quarters. Still, he dressed little better than a peasant farmer: a long sleeved back tunic that was beginning to show its wear and tear, along with a pair of brown, thick work pants made from stiff,tough fabrics. The only thing he wore that was of fine quality was the black furred cloak he had draped around himself. He glanced over at his other companion nearby, Sabine. For this entire week he had spent at the estate he had not once truly talked with any of his soon-to-be companions outside of Noelle. It always seemed that he had nothing truly important to say to them all, he was an artifact frozen in time. The world views of the dozen or so people seemed utterly foreign to him. What with talks about civil wars and the such. Even as he had spent the past few years spent traveling the southern countryside, he found the adjustment to the new era he lived in difficult.

“I’ve been sleeping well” He said to Noelle, lying. Truth was when he first arrived he slept like a boulder, but that was more due to sheer exhaustion than anything else. Now he was barely sleeping six hours a night. “I’ve been keeping myself occupied in the library, our employer has a vast archive on magical tomes and theories. He has essays in there so old I remember reading them when I was a boy.” As he spoke a small ray of sunshine poked out and better illuminated his weary face, short, messy black hair and the dark circles under his eyes. His eyes were strained and showed red veins, most likely from spending a dozen hours reading by candlelight.

“His collection is quite… Quaint, isn't it?” Noelle replies politely, before looking his face over and quietly sighing. She brings a hand up, covering her face as she shakes her head. “You are a poor liar, Sisera. I still have nightmares too, you don't have to lie to me… Have any of your nightmares manifested in your magic again? The smoke d…” She trails off as she glanced over in Sabine’s direction, briefly, before looking to her feet and clearing her throat.

“Let me try that again. Have you managed to produce any fire again?” Her tone is gentle as she inquires.

Her curiosity piques at the topic. “Magic can do that?... I mean, change, with its user?” Sabine interjects sheepishly, not meaning to interrupt into what seemed like a private exchange, but the concept was intriguing, if not worrisome.

Noelle turns to face the sound of the woman interjecting on her conversation. A momentarily concerned expression quickly softens, as a small smile graces her face. “Magic is an embodiment of its user, and if the user undergoes significant change, so too can their magic. It is an inexorable part of you, and is nurtured by what you choose to do with it. You do not strike me as overly knowledgeable of magic, yet I know you wield its talents… Why?” She then looks over to Sisera, still expecting an answer to her prior question.

For a moment Sabine wears an expression of confusion, “Because my uncle taught me.” She was not entirely sure what Noelle meant with her question, she simply did.

“There are people whose magical abilities do not stem from academic study, Noelle” Sisera said as he turned to face Sabine, his tired, bloodshot eyes staring dully into her face. “Most people do not have the same privileges as you or I had and were taught magic through family members. Education on theory is limited and in favor of more practical applications.” He pulls the furred cloak tighter around himself when he feels a slight morning chill. “For all intents and purposes….no a person can never change the magic they’ve chosen for themselves. Any who attempt to do so will resort to tricks to get the desired result.”

He flicks his index finger and a small trail of smoke trickles out and begins to wrap itself around his hand, weaving in between fingers. “This technically is fire magic. But through various workarounds and research I’ve managed to reduce its heat so only the smoke remains.” With this remark he had answered Noelle’s question but still turned to face her. The smoke that had twirled around his hand suddenly vanished.

“Over the years I’ve gone to a number of physicians within the collective… they say it’s due to my body’s fragile constitution and the damage is irreparable. Fire is seemingly out of my grasp forever.” If he felt any sadness or anger over this fact, Sisera didn’t show it. He wasn’t a very emotive person with his neutral face and faded eyes betraying no thoughts.

“As for your other question.” Sisera said, this time sounding more stiff “That sort of thing hasn’t happened in quite a long time. A few months at least.” Though he suddenly looked much more uncomfortable on the subject, Noelle could tell he wasn’t lying.

Sabine’s brows knit together after Sisera’s yarn. Her gaze flickers briefly to Noelle before she offers half a smile to Sisera. “That is… interesting. And I can’t say I understand everything you mean, but what makes you think these physicians know everything?” She draws her legs up upon the stone bench, curious. “Once upon a time, man had no magic, there was no God to protect, and we were all just thralls,” she traces along the spine of the book she had taken from the library. “I do not know about you, but I like to think nothing is permanent and absolute, especially where magic is involved. Correct me if I am wrong, though. I’ve only ever heard whispers and hearsay about the Collective, and little of it flattering.”

“It is possible to repair, over time. Technically anything is possible with magic, it is merely our expression of it that is limited. Granted, Sisera would not sit down the moment he heard there was a search for the princess going on. As for the Collective...” She looks down at Sabine, then takes a couple of steps closer and sits beside her so as not to be lording above her. Her gentle tone inquires, calmly, “what is your magic? What do you do?”

She raises her head to the skies, her face contorted with thought on how to explain it, “I make change at the tip of my sword.” She returns her gaze to Noelle, “I’m not the largest. Or the fastest. I’m certainly not the strongest, as much as I hate to admit it… So it gives me a fighting chance where a noble might wear armor, or a mage might sling magic, at a cost.” She shrugs, “It’s just me, but better.” She crinkles her nose, “Though, I don’t see how that has anything to do with the Collective.”

Noelle leans in closer and looks the young woman over from head to toe. It's almost invasive in how she drew so near to her, though it stops after a few seconds as she looks Sabine in the eyes. “The Collective collects information about magic and its various, personal expressions displayed by individual people. The hopes is for us to collect enough information to be able to control magic and use it only to improve the world, and the people who live within it. Imagine a world where food magically appeared whenever we needed it, or a world where we could prevent death from anything other than old age… or, a world where we could mobilize entire battalions of healers to save the lives of millions. That is the Mage Collective: Catalog, understand, grow, improve.” A soft smile reaches her face. “And a young woman like you with such prodigal talent should be studied and understood.”

Sabine recoils from Noelle’s proximity, smiling sheepishly. “The prospect of being studied sounds…” she pauses, searching for a word. “Uncomfortable,” she settles with. “I hardly think I merit so much attention.” She frowns, gestating her words about the Collective. “What the Collective wants sounds noble, but… I have my doubts whether that is really for the betterment of the world… What of the man who prides working the land? Or the chef who pours their heart and soul into their creation? What weight does death have if all can be saved at a whim?...” she shakes her head. “Its fairy tale, one with more consequences and complications than implied.” Sabine rubs her cheek, “I think extremes ought be avoided—where my homeland is wrong to snuff out magic, we should not make it a goal to force it upon all ‘for the better.’”

“Who said anything about force?...” Noelle frowns as Sabine recites oft spoken of claims by Liverians about the Mage Collective. Nonetheless, the frown quickly fades as she stands back up, to give the woman her space. “I didn't mean to make it sound so cold. I far more meant to help you hone your talents, so that you could use them to help people. Back in the Mage Collective, I was a teacher, you see, so I suppose I developed something of a dry tone.” She motions to Sisera with a soft smile. “This man was badly injured, and the Mage Collective saved his life.”

“It is true that the Collective have given me a second chance and for that I am in their debt” He said slowly “But magic should still be approached with a wary hand. Not because of the nonsense that the Liverians spout, but because it will save you from the disappointment when you realize it can’t fix everything.” He turned his head towards the direction of the sun, wondering impatiently when they would finally set out on their journey.

“What has been taken from you can never be given back” He said with a hint of stubbornness in his voice. “All that you can do, whether with magic or not, is cling onto and fix what you still have.” It was at that moment his eyes, as he looked out at the rising sun, became steely, narrowing towards their unseen goal like a hawk zoning in on it’s catch. While both women saw the change in his eyes, only Noelle knew the significance of his mile long stare and the words that backed it up.

Noelle steps in front of Sisera, blocking his view of the rising sun as the orange light instead surrounds her form, and casts a long shadow over her face and Sisera himself. She stares him, eye to eye, and speaks with her usual gentle tone--though there is a slight hint of determination in it. “We will.” It is all that she says, as her expression softens a bit, and looks over to Sabine. “I’m sorry, we must be confusing for you. It will all become clearer over the course of the journey for the princess, I’m certain of that.”

Sisera didn’t say anything to Noelle as he beamed into her face, the irises in his like akin to a purple fire in that instant before it dulled and cooled away. He turned his back to her and walked out of Noelle’s shadow. He glanced over at Sabine, his plain looking face obscuring his thoughts. “Whether our...employer knows it or not this journey is a gamble. A gamble against powerful forces beyond our control. Your magic is unique, train on it everyday, even as we travel and hone it to a fine art. Never underestimate our ultimate enemy” His eyes looked hazed and lazy, but his voice was stern, almost authoritarian. It was then, when the ever rising sunlight hit Sisera at the right angle did Sabine see the circular scars peeking out of his tunic at the base of his neck. “I did once. And I paid for it dearly.” He walked past Sabine, towards the gate. “I’m quite famished” he said to no one in particular. “I think I’ll get some food before our business officially begins.”

Noelle speaks softly and quietly when Sisera is out of earshot. “I’m sorry, Sabine. He is not always personable, but I am trying to help him.”

Sabine follows Sisera with her eyes, her arms guardedly crossed before her. “I’m not the one to apologize to,” she frowns. “I hope you know what you’re doing, because a stray wind looks like it’ll ruin him.” She retrieves her book from a flowerbox, “And if you can’t fix him, well, sometimes broken things are beyond repair.” She nods politely, not sure what to take from this conversation, but a niggling in her gut said that it would be important.

“I hope not.” The reply from Noelle was quiet, almost imperceptible, as she returns to admiring the garden in its well crafted state.

Tycho Sucks at Fighting, Starring Laurenz
@Axl as Laurenz
@Grothnor as Tycho​

Tycho was out in the yard of Amora’s manor practicing his spear drills. He had selected an out-of-the-way corner, somewhat secluded from the rest of the yard for a specific reason: he sucked. He knew his skills were likely never going to be anything worth speaking of, but his embarrassment at his absolute lack of talent drove him to avoid showcasing it for all his companions. He wasn’t above asking for help, but only when he felt it necessary, and his spear was just a fallback. His magic could defend him well enough, so he felt it prudent not to indebt himself to anyone quite yet.

Calling to mind the simple lessons he picked up while in Rheinfeld, he spaced his stance, squared his shoulders and thrust the spear at an imaginary target again, trying to etch the stance into his muscle memory, so that in the off chance his magic were drained and a foe came bearing down on him, he might be ready.

On the opposite side of the courtyard stands one of the soldiers, Laurenz. Normally he wouldn’t go out of his way to talk to a Free Holder, but he was showing some major problems in his ability with a spear, problems that might end up getting him killed. So he grabbed a practice spear and a shield, and made his way on over. “You need help.” The Rheinfelder states, matter-of-factly. “Would you like some?” He hefts the training spear, clearly offering to act as a sparring partner.

“I would question the ‘need’ qualifier of that sentence, but if you’re offering…” Tycho rolled his shoulders to stretch them from the repeated movements, “...I won’t say no, assuming you’re actually here to help and not just make fun of me.”

Laurenz shrugs, but assumes a combat stance nonetheless. “No, fun is for places other than the battlefield. I assume you know as much.” He holds his shield ahead of him, changing his stance to prepare for attacks. “Alright, strike at me three times in succession. I want to know where you are in terms of ability. Don’t worry about hurting me, either.” The shield goes up, and the spear falls low to his side, in a well-practiced defensive stance.

Tycho rolled his eyes at Laurenz’ manly bravado, then focused an took a stance. His first strike was textbook and easily predictable, the exac strike he had been practicing for the past half-hour, the second was a weaker followup, irking Tycho at the lack of strength he put behind the thrust, as the first had put him out of form. For the third, he decided to wing it and just go with instinct, stepping forward to stab with gusto, and only one arm.

Laurenz blocks the first two thrusts with ease, his eyebrow raising at the lack of strength in the second. The third, however, was wild, and he barely manages to deflect it in a way that wouldn’t injure either of them. Unfortunately, the momentum from the redirected attack would put Tycho off balance, which the veteran takes advantage of, by sweeping his opponent’s forward leg out from under him. When Tycho hits the ground, he sticks his spear into the dirt and offers the man a helping hand, with a few words. “You’ve some potential. But your stance was too wide, your centre of balance was too high, the second attack lacked any conviction, and you threw yourself wildly into your last attack.” Once Tycho is on his feet, he pauses a few seconds before continuing. “It is a common misconception of the untrained that you must strike with all your might in every blow. The amount of force in the second attack was fine if you had planned it as a feint, but instead you went into your sloppy third attack.” He sounds less like a berating drill instructor and more of a mentor with his words, though his expression remains stony.

Tycho grimaced on the ground, taking care to ignore Laurenz’s outstretched hand. “We’re doing it like this, then, eh?” He grumbled to himself as he picked himself up and dusted his clothes off. “Was it too much to expect any measure of compassion and mercy from a Rheinfelder?” Shifting to a sarcastic deadpan, he answered himself, “Oh, wait, Rheinfelder, nevermind. I appreciate the lesson, but it seems as if I should first learn how to stab properly before I can apply your lessons, like I was doing before.”

Laurenz gives a grunt that almost sounds like a chuckle. “Only expect the same amount of compassion and mercy from a Free Holder.” He steps back, not quite bothered that the other man refused his outstretched hand. “And I am teaching you how to stab properly. It’s all in the motion of your body. You can’t just fling yourself forward like a dog at a steak, you have to ground yourself. Otherwise you just put unnecessary risk to both yourself and those around you.” He turns to the side, and assumes a similar stance to Tycho’s earlier practice stance, shoulders squared, knees bent. He then lunges forth with the spear thrice, each thrust measured, not overextending, but with a proper amount of force, all while holding the shield in front of him. He relaxes his stance, and, after unstrapping it from his wrist, he holds the shield out to Tycho. “If you plan on using it as a last ditch effort, it’s better to have a shield.”

Grimacing, Tycho snatched the shield from Laurenz’s hand. “Now, if you’re done kicking the legs out from under old men, I have drills to attend to. Go bother the young ones, I’m sure you can manage to knock some wisdom into their heads,” Tycho said cattily.

“Mmm.” He gives a grunt of affirmation, before he moves over to the weapons rack and replaces the spear. “Do not take this lightly. Bloodshed is no trivial matter, I’m sure you are aware.” With that he takes his leave.

A Walk of Fate
Bakar & Amora
Collab with @Nilum

As he opened the front door to the estate, the giant of a man closed his eyes as the cool breeze hitting his green, scales as he basked in the warm morning sun. It was hours before they’d have to go for their adventure, yet already his mind was filled with doubts. Having been one of the final choices he didn’t have too long to stay in the estate and the time he did have he tried to stay away and hidden from most of the party, watching them from the sidelines and keeping a safe distance from them.

Slowly he’d take a step out, looking around as he walked into the estate’s courtyard. The giant man-lizard scanned his surroundings as his scaled feet, covered in the lightly tanned leather ‘shoes’, treading through the stone path of the estate. Slowly he’d walk around until he stumbled upon the sight of his employer, Amora Mann. The one man who started all of this and chose him to help find the long lost princess.

Bakar froze for a second before taking in a deep breath and walking forward, looking around for anyone else as he made his way to the doctor, letting out a sharp whistle as he waved to the man. “Kaixo, Amora. Err… I hope I’m no bother but I’d like to speak with you, if that’s okay with you.”

“Of course,” Amora replies simply as he closes his summoning tome. He had been enjoying the tranquil weather for the early morning, and turns back to face the lizardman. Amora was dressed in black silk and leather, with red trimmings. It seemed he was still clinging to more Liverian stoic fashion, than Renaltan expressive fashion. “Speak your mind.”

Bakar nodded to the leader of the party, “Thank you.” Began the Lizardman as he thought his next choice of words carefully. “Mind if I ask why you selected me? Looking at the others, I was thinking that I may have been a mistake. That my being here will be more of a liability of their moral. That may be I should have stayed at the tribes like most others of my kind.”

“To be blunt, you were not my first choice on instinct,” Amora replies placidly, as he taps the cover his summoning tome. It seems as though the light itself fades slightly around it, for only a split second, before going back to normal. “... However, you are a competent fighter. Your talents make for great interrogation, and you have the sheer mass to hold a front line. I will not feign seeing you an equal light, lizardman, but nor will I dismiss obvious aid when it is presented to me so clearly.”

Bakar listened as Amora explained that he wasn’t the man’s first choice. The Lizardman already assumed such though still he listened to the summoner’s reasoning. He looked down to see the tome slowly fade the light around it. A mysterious object, indeed. “Thank you, but am I good for a group like this? Looking at the others, I feel like they’re unpleased with this decision… Enough to let me die if any opportunity comes.”

As the lizardman mentions death, he would feel something cold brush up against his side. A glance would reveal that a wolf with black fur had walked up beside the lizardman, and had pushed his muzzle into Bakar’s hand. Amora seemed to be following only half of the conversation, as the wolf followed his gaze in looking toward Bakar’s eyes. “Because of this,” Amora motions to the wolf, “I am doomed to be hunted by my own countrymen. Yet, I still choose to pursue my own ambitions, regardless of those who would seek to destroy me for it. You stand on your own, Bakar. If you feel yourself incapable of the journey, then leave.”

As he felt the brush against his side he’d look down to the black wolf nuzzling his hand. As he looked back to Amora as he listened while patting the wolf’s head. A scaled smirk grew on his face as his rough scales brushed against the wolf’s soft fur. ‘Stand on his own.’ Those words echoed within him as he found himself falling deep within his thoughts. The question lingered on what to do as he stayed silent, petting the wolf, wondering what to make out of this journey he signed up for, the man who was leading it and more importantly, the world. The weight of it all still held up by him as he couldn’t answer whether he was capable or not. “I’ll think on it. Thank you for the talk Amora.”

“You may find Noelle or Marcus more the sort to give sappy advice in the future.” Amora bows his head slightly in courtesy, and then turns and leaves. As he does, his book once again seems to darken the light around it for a moment, and the wolf turns to nothingness.

The Breakfast Bunch
@Drakel as Bakar
@Blackstone as Sabine​

It was warming up for the morning. The scent of bread filled the air as the bakery lit its ovens for the day and readied for another day of commerce. Sabine had risen early. The soft bed was making her uncomfortable. It just was not right without a lumpy surface below her. These feather-soft things were maddening and only served to hurt her back and leave her stiff and drained.

In her spare time, she had made rounds of the estate, loosening herself and wound up in the kitchen just as they were finishing up the first batch of breakfast for the adventurers-to-be. Hardly timid, she had snatched a basket and filled it up, enough for two. . . and then some. It was heavily laden with meats and breads and fruits when Sabine fled from a disgruntled cook.

Her feet carried her with purpose through the courtyard. This early, the sun still rising, she knew exactly what she was searching for. Bakar’s broad green shoulders stood out like a wall of emerald when he was not hiding away from his impending travel companions. She made no attempt to be quiet, trotting up to his side and slapping up on his shoulder, or at least the closest she could reach. “Hey, big, tall and scaley, had anything to eat yet?” Sabine shrugs her shoulder to reveal the basket, her brow crooked in question.

As the cool breeze hit him as he basked for a moment in the morning sun, the green scaled man. The giant of a lizard and standing tall above most men, he enjoyed his walk out of the estate for as short as it was. Though now he was simply enjoying the outdoors. At least until he heard something. Footsteps heading his way loudly. Closing his eyes only for a moment before he inhaled loudly, taking the cool air into his lungs before releasing it again, mentally preparing with whatever this person might have to say to him about his kind’s deeds. He was already tense, standing tall as he waited for what he considered to be an inevitability. At least that was what he thought.

Feeling the slap on his upper arm the lizard looked to his side, down to the human before raising a scaled brow in a momentary confusion. The light brown basket in her hand and a meal fit for more than two within it. When he was asked about whether he ate, he’d look away to his side before thinking to himself. “Err… I have, So~” before he could even apologize to get rid of the human, his own stomach grumbled loudly. Exposing his lie within an instant. Eyes wide from the shocking sound of his own belly’s roar he looked back, directly to the human. “Sorry… I umm... meant that I’ve yet to eat.” Admitted the emerald scaled lizard, looking away again as his stomach rumbled again before looking back, this time into the basket, staring at it’s contents now.

She nods, “Good. I could hardly eat all of this myself. Besides, we’ve yet to talk. Bakar, right?” She directs to a more removed area of the grounds. “Let’s break bread and talk, then. Don’t imagine either of us has had a chance to talk to the other’s kind for more than a few brief words before things went south,” she supplies, starting along. “Or are you going to sneak into the kitchen again when no one is looking and squirrel away?”

Nodded to confirm his name was Bakar. “Sabrine, I take it?” Asked the lizardman as he followed the human to the secluded area of the grounds, a small, barely visible smirk was formed as he did enjoy the idea of breaking bread and talking with her if that’s all she wanted. “No, I haven’t had much of a chance to talk as equals with most other races” Replied the lizardman before chuckling at her joke, clearly he wasn’t as sneaky as he thought he was. “I think this time I’ll stay and chat.”

“Sa-Been,” she corrects with a half-smile. “Yeah, I’ve seen the glances… Even heard a few of the comments. Not a very trusting bunch, but we all have our reasons.” She settles the basket down on a bench closer to Bakar and picks out an apple for herself. “I didn’t really know what you eat, so there’s a variety…” She looks across the garden for a moment. “Are you excited to head out soon, too?”

“Sa-been’ I’ll be sure to remember that.” Followed the lizardman before listening to Sabine on the other’s making comments, nodding slowly and understandably over it. “Indeed.” Was all the lizardman said before grabbing himself several sausages from the basket, taking a bite out of one before continuing in order to answer her question once it was swallowed. “Thank you… And Yes, as am I worried.”

She takes a bite of the apple, chewing as she muffles out, “What’s got you worried?”

Looked over to the smaller figure next to him, taking another bite of the hot link, thinking to himself once more before deciding to speak his mind. “We’re going on a dangerous mission. And while the others might be uneasy around me, I am alone around them… Accidents do tend to happen most when with people that don’t trust you.”

“I’d hazard a guess that’s not true. I’d be more worried about the ones you trust that you shouldn’t. You never expect that,” she snorts in amusement, looking up at Bakar. “If they haven’t done anything yet, I doubt they will. Not without reason. Do you plan to give them reason?”

Bakar chuckled at Sabine’s comments, nodding in agreement to the first before eating the rest of his link. “True enough.” Agreed the lizardman as he ate another sausage whole. “I’m sure they wouldn’t do anything to anger Amora like that…. Though when it comes to ‘giving them a reason’, I do believe they wouldn’t need to search far to have the reason for them to do what they may wish. Especially in places where it’s easy for a blind eye to be made on such.”

“Then they aren’t much better than they claim you to be, are they?” she takes another loud bite, settling down to look up at him more easily. “You’re here now. You’re on our side til proven otherwise. Whatever excuses they might make, we’re all the same there. So, til then, I’d rather be one big happy family. Otherwise, the ride is going to be miserable at best.” She pauses, “So, you’re not alone.”

“No one ever is.” He stated, taking another hot-link and biting into it. As the human talked he simply listened. “I think I’d rather have that too. Thank you.” He replied, smirking as he ate, glad that at least someone was different than the norm that he had witnessed.

“Nothing to thank me for.” Sabine looks at her apple core, “I expect we’ll all be thankful you’re around before this is through, regardless of our differences.” She pushes herself up. “If you’d like company, just find me. Though, there’s probably more than enough volumes in the library to keep you busy til we leave. Would have never picked someone of your kind as scholarly.”

“I would hope so” Started the lizardman before eating the last of the sausages. “It’s better to be useful than useless, after all.” Slowly he got up as well, again following the woman in the action as she talked. “I wouldn’t mind that one bit.” With the comment of the library he nodded. “There are. There is much my kind can do to surprise you, if ever given the chance to be allowed to do them.”

“I look forward to being pleasantly surprised, then,” she offers out her hand to shake. “I want to go into town before we leave, so, unless you want to tag along. . .” Sabine trails off.

Bakar smiled at the female before looking to the hand presented to him. Slowly he moved his own down and gripped his fellow teammate’s hand, shaking it. Though that smile faded quickly when the offer of going to town with her was made. “I umm… I think I will just stay here. I’ll be in the library if you’d like to talk again.”

Sabine nods, “I hope you enjoy your books, then.” She looks up at the lizard, planting her hands on her hips, her face stern, “And if you don’t relax some, you’re joining me for a pint tonite.” She can’t help but smile imagining what a drunk lizardman must be like. Unsure what to really think of him, though, she takes her leave. If nothing else, this exchange already made the adventure worthwhile in her mind.

Smiled and nodded. “And you to your shopping.” was all the lizardman said. When she stated that he was to drink a pint he chuckled and nodded before turning around, heading towards the entrance of the building. He found the woman to be a curious fellow, though his own doubts on whether she truly was trustworthy to be a friend, after all. ‘You never expect the ones you trust most, but shouldn't’ as she put it. Still he felt glad that at least someone was seemingly friendly enough to him within the party, making him all the more willing and glad to be a part of it. The conversation they had, was certainly what he needed in this time of doubts.

Tutoring in the Garden
Feat. @Nilum as Noelle

In all honesty the confrontation with Alice had been jarring for Ofri. She hadn’t expected to be so soundly defeated and so soundly humiliated. Her face was still red from it, but she wouldn’t admit it to Alice. She might not even admit it to Dean. She would do her best to avoid both of them for the rest of the day. As it didn’t seem likely that Alice would go to the gardens, as apparently they were beneath her notice, Ofri found her way scampering out of the halls and into greener pastures. She wasn’t singing or dancing now. Instead she stared at her feet and quietly grumbled about the awful attitudes of the nobility. Because she wasn’t watching where she was going she nearly tumbled into Noelle, no matter how much taller the fairer woman was.

“Oh, beggin’ my pardon, ma’am!”

Noelle hesitates a moment as Ofri bumps into her. Noelle instinctively does not budge, causing Ofri to stumble, and her hands reach out and grab Ofri’s shoulders to stabilize her. “Strange, you do not tumble easily. Is something bothering you?” Her voice was gentle as she lets go of Ofri’s shoulders and takes a step back to give the woman some space.

Ofri blinked a few times as she nearly fell, but was luckily caught. She slowly looked up at the far taller woman and managed a sheepish smile. “Ah… No, not anymore. I was… Well.” She cleared her throat and scuffed one of her toes against the grass. “I need some help, actually. Apparently I’m not very good at… Well. Much.”

“Well, how can I help you then Ofri?” Noelle replies gently, as she looks Ofri over. She seemed to be evaluating something, but wasn't giving away what it was at first glance.

“I want to be better at magic, ma’am. I can do a few things, but not enough, apparently.” Ofri felt like a child in front of Noelle, and had a hard time trying to pretend she wasn’t. She knew the elf was older, much older, from her days with her caravan. The elves always knew so much more than her family.

“And ma’am I know you must be quite good at magic, so I was hopin’ you could help.”

“If you are trained sufficiently in your craft that you do not tear random holes into space and time, then I am afraid I cannot really teach you anything to do with power,” Noelle replies with a comforting touch on Ofri’s shoulder. That being said, the elven mage smiled somewhat, and motions for Ofri to follow her as she starts walking to another point in the courtyard--one with a fountain of water. “... I can teach you how to use it creatively. What is it that your magic does, precisely?”

Ofri wilted when Noelle said there was nothing she could do. However, she still followed the kind woman. It was nice to be around someone who wasn’t trying to swing something heavy and sharp towards her face. Fountains were nice enough after all.

“I play with the wind, ma’am. I tried showing Lady Alice, but she said it was naught more than a parlour trick or somethin’. Not enough for me to survive, ma’am.” Her voice faded into a whisper at the end. Alice’s words had definitely impacted her, not that she would ever let Alice know if she could help it.

“Wind, hm? A flexible talent.” Noelle stops by the fountain, and looks around the area. She recognizes a few clay pots around, and sighs as she retrieves one and places it on the edge of the fountain. She seemed to be setting up an exercise of some sort. “Lift the pot with your wind magic. Don't drop it, or tilt it.”

Well this shouldn’t be too hard. She had moved pints before with not too much effort. Ofri turned her attention to the pot, took her bottom lip between her teeth, and focused. A breeze kicked up over the water and soon slipped under the clay pot. It was definitely heavier than a pint, perhaps even two pints. She wriggled her nose and pinched her brow while trying to pour more energy into it.

The pot wobbled then rose about a meter in the air. Ofri wasn’t sure how much Noelle wanted from her, but hopefully this would be enough. As she could feel her concentration starting to break, as it was rather boring to just focus on a pot, Ofri tried to bring it down gently back to the edge of the fountain.

“L-like that, ma’am?”

“Great! Now, can you do that while focusing on something else?” Noelle asks, as she motions to the pot again, and walks a few steps away to pick up a few pebbles from the ground.

She could do this. Ofri furrowed her brow as she started to lift the pot again as well make the pebbles start to shift and dance around Noelle’s fingers and feet as she stopped to grab them. The pot paused in mid-air and dropped an inch as she made the wind kick the pebbles up into Noelle’s hand, but the wind resumed holding the pot aloft afterwards. If Noelle saw the pot drop she would hopefully know Ofri was concentrating a bit too hard to speak.

As Ofri’s concentration slips, Noelle smiles a little. She steps beside Ofri, then turns to look at the pot. “Not bad!” She says this with a laugh as she brings her hand to Ofri’s back, then shoves her forward with just enough force to put her into the dirt if she didn't regain her balance.

Ofri was used to being jostled by bar patrons, but not outright shoved. The pot fell and shattered as the pebbles scattered as the magic not just dissipated, but swung outward. Her concentration was completely ruined and she nearly had a mouth of dirt for lunch. She caught herself on her hands and knees and it stung almost as much as her pride.

“What was that for, ma’am?!”

Though Ofri stumbled, Noelle was ready to step in and catch her should she fall for the ground. For a moment, concern blemishes her expression before it returns to a warm and friendly look. “To teach you a lesson. In combat, and in many other aspects of life, multitasking is the key to success. If you want to defeat anyone, you must be able to outthink them. To not just use your magic, but your body, and your mind, and everything else in tandem.”

As if to demonstrate, Noelle pulls her blade out and tosses it into the air. She steps to catch it, whilst at the same time, utilizing her magic to slow it down. It all looked as though it was one singular action, yet, it took several minor adjustments to pull off as smoothly as it was.

“I can both utilize my magic, and remain cognisant of when an enemy is approaching me. Now, let’s try this again. This time, I will help you learn, step by step, alright?” Her tone is gentle as she steps over to another pot, likely to keep training with Ofri.

Ofri nodded, it all made sense, but it worried her. Perhaps she shouldn’t have signed up for this after all. There could have been other ways to leave the tiny inn, but… Noelle was more than happy to work with her, so she would give it her best. She wanted to be worthy of witnessing the Princess.

In all honesty Ofri had never had to think this hard before, or this much. Sure, she kinda helped with figures and could write her name, but this was way harder than just moving a bit of charcoal. As long as Noelle was willing to work with her she would give it her all.

First Steps
Marcus and Dean

Dean had spent the next few minutes pacing the grounds of the estate. Alice had provided valuable insight into where Dean might find a suitable mentor, and though he didn't doubt the woman’s word he wasn't sure how interested he was in speaking with the mountainous man. Their brief exchanges since his arrival had hardly been warm, and more than a few times Dean thought he had caught Marcus’ stern glare directed at him. A pit formed in his stomach thinking of what horrors he might be subjected to if he willing trained under the armor-clad giant, but given the experience he'd just suffered under Alice he supposed it couldn't be much worse.

Finally finding Marcus, Dean approached with a quiet enthusiasm. Ready for anything, but unsure what to expect. “Marcus? Alice tells me that you're the man to speak with if I want to carry my weight in combat.”

Marcus was kneeling and packing away a whetstone when Dean entered the room. It seemed Marcus had laid out most of his weapons and had been giving them a final maintaining treatment with a file and whetstone out on a balcony of the mansion. He quietly stands up as Dean approaches through the room to reach him. “Alice speaks highly of me, then. What do you know of combat?”

Dean stood as ready as he could for whatever chastising Marcus would provide, but was surprised by a modest question “Truly? I know which end of the sword to hold, and that the main goal is to be the one standing at the end of it. You know? The basics.”

“Then you know little.” Marcus takes a few steps to a rack of training weapons, and grabs a pair of training swords--weighted, and made of wood so as not to cause permanent harm. He tosses one to Dean’s feet. “That, however, is something I can fix.”

“Cheers then. Fix me like our lives depend on it.” he said while kneeling to lift the wooden sword, giving it a couple of swings for practice.

“Our lives do depend on it.” Marcus remarks, though in the midst of Dean’s practice swings he lunges toward the young man with a simple waist-high slash, seemingly to test Dean’s reflexes.

With a jerk-reaction backwards Dean was able to block the slash, though far from cleanly, losing his footing and sliding out of form with a grin on his face. “That's true enough, I suppose then the pressure is on both of us.” He decided to try and respond to Marcus’ slash with his own chop at the man’s shoulder.

There is a slight smile that crosses Marcus’ face as he sees Dean’s counter swing. He carries through the motions from his prior strike and steps straight into Dean’s strike, using his strength to block the chop with his blade and simultaneously taking a kick toward Dean’s knees, as he guessed that Dean’s attention would be on the blades.

His eyes tracked Marcus as he stepped in towards him, similar to how he had rushed Alice’s guard in his earlier bout. His focus lingered too long on the bigger man’s approaching form and their blades locked together and as a result could not catch the swift kick taken at his knee. He buckled from the blow giving out a short yelp though more from frustration than pain. As his rear struck the ground he immediately began fumbling to his feet, trying but failing to do so with some grace. “A clean blow. You'll have to teach me to be so quick.”

“That is called a feint, Dean.” Marcus offers a hand to him to help him up. “Battle is largely about wit. Part of wit, is misleading an opponent. If you want to learn to strike so clearly, start with your mind.”

“Wit. Got it.” he reached for Marcus’ hand and sprung to his feet. He tried to clean some dirt from his clothes, looking to Marcus with a smile. “So you're saying a clear mind is a sign of a strong opponent?”

Marcus nods as he takes his wooden training sword, and taps the tip of it at Dean’s feet. “Keep your mind clear. Focus on knowing where you stand. Know where you are weakest, because an enemy will always search for that.” He takes a couple of steps back, and raises his wooden training blade. “Now, are you ready for more sparring? We can hammer that lesson in, if you would like.”

Dean took a few quick breaths and nodded by way of response to Marcus, before long the two were once again exchanging strikes. Despite heeding the older man’s directions, after 2 hours of sparring, looking at Marcus he wasn't sure he had landed a single blow. By contrast his arms were beginning to reveal dark purple bruises, and he was sure his legs would match. Thinking ahead it seemed unlikely Dean would be getting any truly restful sleep in the future, and when it seemed late enough to excuse himself he did just that.

“Shard of Truth”
Authors:
@Nilum @LimeyPanda @Axl @Lialore @Grothnor @Becca

It had been three hours since the sun had begun to rise above the edge of the world. Within minutes of the sun climbing to its mid-morning perch, servants combed across the Mann estate to ferret out the adventurers preparing for the journey. They each are gathered--one by one--to the stables, where Amora, Noelle, and Anthony waited patiently. Emilia arrives of her own volition, as Marcus is guided to the spot by a helpful young servant who seemed rather smitten with him.

Once everyone is gathered together, Amora swings himself up onto his horse. He was dressed properly for the occasion, but still managed to be somewhat presentably regal. At his side, hanging in a large saddlebag was his summoning tome, once more kept close to himself. “Ladies, gentlemen, and… Lizard,” he begrudgingly adds the last one under his breath as he motions to the horses in the stables. “Take your horses, we will be heading out shortly.” He nods to Noelle as he starts moving toward the front gates of his estate, to get them opened for the group’s departure.

Noelle remains off of her horse while addressing the group, seeming to prefer to speak to them without having to look down. Though she maintained a soft smile, her hair was tied back in a bun and contained in a helmet whose visor was pushed up. She is covered head to toe in plate mail, decorated in symbols of the Mage Collective, as well as a rose on its back--likely of her own design, as it represented no noble house in the land. “We will be heading northeast, to the Border Mountains near the Dark Forest. We will be spending most of our time off of the road in unpatrolled lands, so watch your backs. Because Amora wasn't particularly secretive with his announcement to the world, we expect to be attacked by someone--Witch Hunters, The Forsaken, maybe even a competing adventuring band hoping to cut us off. Watch yourselves.”

Noelle glances over at Anthony uncomfortably, as he was shining one of his pistol barrels with a small silk cloth. He grins wolfishly back at her, and she shudders before looking back to the rest of the group. “I will cut this short. I know where the princess is thanks to Sisera, and Anthony is an expert in bypassing traps and defences, which we may need in order to reach her. That is our advantage. If we are lucky, we will reach her in just four days… four days to change the world. That is why we kept the details secretive, up until now. There is obviously more to it than that, however, so if you have any questions, now is the time to ask them.”

Upon being given leave to ask questions, Alice rose to her feet and cleared her throat. Despite being a similar height to the Lizardman as he was sitting, Alice presented herself as the biggest figure in the room; the practiced skills of an orator shining through. “Why so suddenly? Unless there are further threats I am unaware of, the Archangel and his ilk are too busy ravaging Rheinfeld to directly interfere. Another week might net us another one-or-two worthwhile companions. Another month awards us time to reach out to associates, or at least patch up those who are lacking amongst our current peers…” She paused for a moment, glancing at no one in particular until finally zeroing in on Amora. “So, what am I missing here? Unless you have information about a mobilising Archangel, or there is another mass threat to be aware of, I wonder why we risk such an important mission on what I perceive as haste.”

Laurenz interjects, remaining standing. “It is better to act with haste, considering the nature of our quarry, and those who hunt her. That aside, we’ve more than enough people here to remain unnoticed by any larger force, while having enough people to defend ourselves in case a patrol or somesuch decides to interfere.” He runs a gauntleted hand through his hair, as he ponders a few things. “Besides, the less people we have, the less we have to worry about rations and other supplies for the trek. If we were to run out of supplies somehow in the middle of the journey, it’d be much easier to hunt and gather for 8 people, instead of 12.”

Rosvita made a noise that was alike to a scoff, as she straightened up and shook her head in a way that would’ve been more effective if she had hair.

“Besides, you underestimate the evil that is the Archangel. He is constantly a threat” she said. “You may not feel it as urgently as we have, but his influence is far-reaching and his personal might almost impossible. Hasty? Maybe. But I can assure you numbers will not win this war, we must trust in our leader that the right band has been chosen. Though on that topic I need to ask why we should believe what Sisera says, if details are no longer to be kept secretive?”

“And - may I add - this journey seems terribly dangerous. I expect to encounter and perform unimaginable things, for I have never been beyond my borders and we shall certainly pass through some. Is there no law we are to follow? Or does this task transcend all such things that are set within borders?” Rosvita finished her inquiry with a curt nod, as though agreeing with herself.

Tycho scoffed. “Laws? The ambitious have little regards for the legality of their ventures. And finding the Princess who rebuked an Archangel? Changing the world? That is an act of no small ambition.” He glanced at Rosvita with an amused smirk.

Ofri was more than happy to listen. All of them seemed to have better questions than she did and pointed out things more cleverly than she could. Ultimately she had to agree that secrets should remain that way. Not everyone needed to know everything. Some people were far too talkative… like this Rosvita person.

Bombarded with questions and statements, Noelle scratches the back of her head, and then gets to answering them in turn. She glances between Laurenz and Alice. “We will be traversing into the border mountains--smaller groups have an easier time navigating it. Atop that, if we do find the princess, it will be easier to bring her back safely in secrecy rather than with, say, a group of two hundred that will draw immense attention from people we cannot challenge.”

Her eyes dart to Rosvita. “We will follow the laws of the local lands to the best of our abilities. We are adventurers, not brigands. As for Sisera? That is… Complicated to explain. Know only that through magic, we found the truth inside of his mind. A truth that I am not the only one privy to. The longer we wait here, the more likely the Archangel will gain access to someone who knows the truth. The worst case scenario is that we don’t find what we’re looking for, and go home--no harm in that, right?”

Emilia raises her hand. Noelle quirks an eyebrow, then motions for Emilia to ask her question. “So!... Uh… Last I checked, Sisera according to legend, was banished to suffer eternally. Even if you did find him, how is he not totally… You know… Insane?”

Noelle lowers her gaze to the dirt, then looks in Sisera’s direction. Though she appears momentarily sympathetic, her tone retains something of a more formal approach to answering the question. “The Mage Collective has the ability to read and copy memories, as well as modify them. We verified his identity this way, stumbled upon the truth about Princess Camilla, and found a way to reach her--assuming she is still alive, of course. I am not going to lie to you, it has been fifty years. However, I have reason to believe that she is still alive, as she once was, thanks to magic. Finally, Sisera’s mind was fixed through eliminating as many damaging memories as possible without depriving him of his identity. A way of… Removing trauma, if you will.”

Emilia narrows her eyes, but otherwise remains silent as she crosses her arms over her chest. She clearly disliked the answer given, but was seemingly content for the time being. Noelle sighs in relief, then climbs onto her horse. “Now, unless there are further questions, I propose we move out.”

Hearing no further questions, Noelle rides off. Emilia and Marcus retrieve their horses, as do the others, and everyone soon follows. Once they gather at the front gates of the estate, Amora nods to Marcus, who takes the lead for the group and leads them through the capital of Renalta. Some watch them leave, but most ignore them--as myriad and diverse groups of people moving in and out of the city are as common as a drop of rain in a storm.

One of the guards at the main gates into the capital recognizes Marcus, who merely smiles and waves as he leads the group out of the capital. Once outside of the main gates, they would begin their journey to find the princess of legend in earnest.

Back