Let's Talk About Amino..

Fractured

I just have to say, as an oldbie, I adore Amino. It was nice to be in a chat environment, completely anonomoysly, and interact with other characters. I found some really high level invite only Aminos that had players who had been developing things for so long they had their own languages even. Even the less exclusive places felt a lot more like popping around old chatrooms with the mash up of one-liners and multi-para players. It felt way more like home then I thought it would. Also, I was fascinated to see that now we call things Illiterate, Semi-Literate, and Literate or other variations of some sort? In the circles I was in it used to be One-Liner, Para, and Multi-Para I believe. I was out of the public loop forever, so it took me a minute to figure out what the terminology meant.

But, wow, that's a heck of a frustrating character limit. >_>; And it kept hitting me in the face that most of the people were under 20, and that was hard for me to wrap my brain around. I'm not used to toning down heavy topics anymore to make them age appropriate. I was really happy to see a space like it for young RPers though, and like to aimlessly wander about it and interact with folks occasionally.

Who here got started on Amino and what did you like about it? Who has been RPing for quite a while and gave Amino a shot and what were your feelings on the platform?

I didn't get started on Amino, but I did grow as a roleplayer on it. I liked a number of things about it, a major reason being that it was easy to find something that you wanted without looking too deep. Feel like just casually chatting today? Yeah you can do that. Want to write a complex theory? Sure! There are a lot of resources available! I also enjoyed the fact that there were deeper more involved roleplays, but also lighter more temporary ones that didn't require a major time commitment. It was a very relaxed environment, and although maybe not the best thing to learn, it was nice to know that if something was stressing me out too much, I could really just leave.

There were definitely communities that had a focus for younger roleplayers, but this definitely wasn't the case in every space. Some were more mixed in ages, while others focused more on an adult audience. I used to moderate for a smallish mediumish community, so I got to experience a bit more of the behind the scenes on running an Amino, and definitely enjoyed how easy it was to manipulate the space to get something that you wanted.

Though there were some rough moments, all in all it was a very nice experience, and I would recommend to anyone to give it a try if they haven't yet,

Never been on amino, I always associated it with a lot of children and a place I didn't really want to use my time or resources to go into.

What even is Amino? Like, I heard that Kpop have Amino for roleplay, but in my experience those are very immature and childish? I might be biased.

I role played for a long time before finding Amino. It was a great alternative for me at the time, mainly because it allowed for me to easily do group role plays instead of just 1x1s, as well as finding more people to get to know. I really liked how it was set up, the UI, the social media aspect of it, and so on. It was great. I actually curated for a fairly large role playing Amino for about a year before I left.

I left that particular Amino for personal reasons, but ultimately, when I tried to get back into the app in general, it had changed a lot. It got a lot stricter on policies, ads were constant and obnoxious, and it just seemed all together overbearing. It wasn't nearly as fun or close knit as it had been. The Amino I moderated usually had 200 members active at any given point but it still felt close, like everyone knew everyone. Not anymore, not even on the same Amino.

If I had to pinpoint it, the introduction of the Amino+ system was the start of the downfall, as well as the cracking down to make everything G rated. It just sort of lost its charm of a half social media, half role-playing forum with a unique, easy-to-navigate UI. I do miss the way it used to be set up and I think if it was still like that, I'd probably have stuck around.

I just have to say, as an oldbie, I adore Amino. It was nice to be in a chat environment, completely anonomoysly, and interact with other characters. I found some really high level invite only Aminos that had players who had been developing things for so long they had their own languages even. Even the less exclusive places felt a lot more like popping around old chatrooms with the mash up of one-liners and multi-para players. It felt way more like home then I thought it would. Also, I was fascinated to see that now we call things Illiterate, Semi-Literate, and Literate or other variations of some sort? In the circles I was in it used to be One-Liner, Para, and Multi-Para I believe. I was out of the public loop forever, so it took me a minute to figure out what the terminology meant.

But, wow, that's a heck of a frustrating character limit. >_>; And it kept hitting me in the face that most of the people were under 20, and that was hard for me to wrap my brain around. I'm not used to toning down heavy topics anymore to make them age appropriate. I was really happy to see a space like it for young RPers though, and like to aimlessly wander about it and interact with folks occasionally.

Who here got started on Amino and what did you like about it? Who has been RPing for quite a while and gave Amino a shot and what were your feelings on the platform?
I did, and it was nice to finally see people who liked to RP the same stuff as me. I've been RPing for only a bit after getting back into it, but I'd heard tons of things about Amino, mainly just that crazy RP people were on there, so I was a little reluctant to try it, but the shot got me a partner that might as well have been my twin. It got me out of the mindset that there are more crazy people than normal people on Amino, so I loved it!

Back