Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Caer Manor Ruins

As written by Krysis

Pierette winced at someone else interrupting the temperamental vampire that she had tied her fate to. Whoever it was probably wouldn't know the tricks to dealing with his anger. At least the spawn were good about cleaning up... Maybe it was better not to think about that.

When Nox was safely busy with Aurelie, she sighed and mutters something about needing a 'do not disturb' sign before giving Jamie a tired smile. "You want a shower too? The only working showers at the moment are upstairs, so unless you want me to dump buckets over your head, we'll have to go up. I think I have some clothes that might fit you well enough, if you don't mind generic grey sweats. I am certain there is plain robe around here... someplace. If that is what you'd prefer."

Without Nox in front of her, Pierette was much more relaxed. Her shoulders slumped tiredly before she turned to head up the steps. Absent the adrenaline of mentally and conversationally sparring with him, she started to feel the drain on her energy, though she was very much enjoying the dangerous game. Her smile went from slightly manic to merely friendly as she gestured for Jamie to follow her. "By the way, how are you alive, Jamie? Sorry to be so blunt about it, but with that amount of damage, I don't know anyone that should be able to walk already. Except Nox, of course, but he breaks every rule. And I can't think of anything that could hurt him that badly. Unless someone managed to drop a skyscraper or something on him. Maybe not even then."

As written by Script

"Sure. A shower would be good. I'll need to not look like I've been in a fight." Jamie paused. "At least, not one I lost this badly. Then they'll ask questions. And whatever clothes are fine, as long as I can move freely in them."

He followed Pierette as they began to move up the stairs, smiling slightly at her question. "The regeneration is a gift of my bloodline. The pain tolerance is a gift of my upbringing."

As written by Krysis

Pierette grinned at Jamie over her shoulder and opened the appropriate door for the guest bathroom. It was the one she had been using when in residence, so it was clean and well stocked, and still steamy from her shower. "I can do it sometimes, if on PCP, but then I pay for it later. Sometimes you just gotta do a thing though, and it doesn't matter how much it costs, you know?"

"So you're a vampire too? Huh. I knew there were a few still in the city, because, you know, sometimes people would turn up bitten or drained. Seems like there are more of you guys running around than even the most generous estimates." She didn't seem too alarmed at the thought, just an interesting fact to file away. She checked to make sure there was a robe hanging on the back of the door in the bathroom, then stepped out of the way.

"I'll be nearby. Just shout if you need anything."

As written by glmstr

Aurelie practically winced as Nox shouted at her, waiting for him to finish before speaking. She swallowed again, and fished several slender plastic devices from a pocket in her coat, and held them out in front of the Caer.

"I hate to bother you, but this is important," She pointed to little screens on each of the items produced, most of them having a plus sign on them, some having a minus sign.

"There's a good chance that I'm pregnant. With your child."

As written by Emperor Jester

Nox would look back towards the stairs before stepping out on the porch to join Aurelie, his eyes narrow and judging. There was a chance, yes. Vampires could very well birth young, and the Caer were gifted with reproduction as well. In fact, they thrived on it. Needed it to continue their line. But the Caer had never had a successful impregnation of a vampire outside the house. They'd tried, numerous times of course. Nox himself would've had a true-born heir long ago if a vampire-coupling producing children was such a common occurrence.

On top of that, the time window bothered him. He and Au, as well as a young proselyte Rei, had shared a night of passion earlier this week. His seed could not have taken that quickly. It was unheard of.

"If you are unsure in this...if this is some kind of trick...Nothing with save you, girl."

As written by Script

"Thanks."

Jamie shrugged the tattered remnants of his jacket and tee off, either assuming that Pierette was already on her way out of the room or not caring either way. He hummed quietly as he ran a hand over his arm and the other places where the worst of his wounds had been. They were all gone, leaving only an aching memory of pain in the back of his mind.

The rest of his clothes soon followed, and before long he was under the warmth of the shower, letting the blood wash off of his body in silence.

As written by glmstr

"I'm not that stupid, Nox. I wouldn't have come unless I honestly thought it was true," Aurelie stepped towards the Caer and hugged him.

"Now that you don't want to kill me quite as much, do you think I could stay here for a little while? I can prove myself useful, in one way or another," She glanced over to the suitcase and duffel bag, holding most of her belongings. Her own hovel of an apartment was already less than ideal to live in, so even a guest room in the Manor would be orders of magnitude better.

As written by Krysis

Pierette was surprised at Jamie stripping pretty much in front of her, but then shrugged and closed the door. She had things to do, like fetching the promised sweats, and preparing a tray of 'tidbits' for Nox to go with the coffee. She assumed he liked coffee, since it had been in the pantry and the spawn didn't seem to be the coffee type. But it was a stimulant and that meant that Perilous liked it just fine.

Anyway, none of that involved getting naked in the shower with a strange vampire. Though the idea had appeal otherwise. And Nox hadn't told her Not to have fun. In fact, he seemed to not care what she did, as long as she did his biding first. So that was how Pierette ended up being a little day-dreamy as she went about the tasks she set for herself. First the plain gray sweat pants and matching shirt got hung on the doorknob that Jamie was behind.

Then she went to the kitchen. Pierette was filling a tray with cookies and other finger foods while she listened for the water to stop running or for a resurgence of shouting. If she had time, she'd even make some little sandwiches, suspecting that Nox wanted some time to deal with the newest intrusion before being swarmed by herself and Jamie.

Nox was lost for words, though that only lasted a second before he firmly removed her from her embrace. Staring her long and hard in the eyes, the Caer would only seethe internally. He was honestly trapped in this current situation, and every fiber in his being told him to break the cage. But the lure as too...important to potentially threaten. If she was being truthful...

He'd turn from her, grabbing her bags as he did so, not being careful as he brushed past her back into his home. "You may stay until we figure out if you're telling the truth. If it turns out you are, and I highly doubt that is the case, we'll readdress the matter then. Come inside and close the door behind you. I have other company to attend to."

As written by Knosis

Noemi stood half way up the stairs, half way frozen as she had listened to the conversation that Nox and the young woman had had. The news, although normally reciprocated in either joyous cries or absolute denial most of the time for humans, did seem to sway Nox in his normally unshakable being. Noemi, he said, was his first daughter, albeit not a true born. With the way Nox had wanted to continue his family's line, it only made since that he'd want to have a true born heir rather someone he had to turn randomly.

If what this woman said was true, if he had a true born heir, it would mean Noemi would be less appreciated in the family. Whatever grace she had for getting away with her antics because she was his only child would be very short lived, and Nox could very well just do away with her before she was ready or able to fight back.

But Nox seemed uncertain that this child, if there was a child involved, was truly his. A single ray of hope would keep her going. Noemi realized the tears falling down her cheeks and immediately scowled, wiping them away. This didn't change anything. She would survive, somehow, and she would be the downfall of this family. One way or another.

She finished climbing the stairs and immediately turned to head towards her bedroom.

As written by glmstr

"As you wish, I'll bring my things into one of the guest rooms. If you'd like me to stay elsewhere or come with, I guess you could come find me or send someone to," Aurelie followed Nox into his manor, gently and quietly closing the door behind her. When he eventually put down her luggage, she carried it off into a nearby guest bedroom that seemed to be largely functional.

Before even thinking about getting onto the bed, first she put away her clothing into an ornate wooden armoire, and hung up a few fancier items on hangers inside it. Next, she propped up her cane against the wall by the door and placed her sword , the two halves clinging together to form one blade, on the nightstand. She sat the mask on the other nightstand, its tinted glass eyes staring emptily towards the door, then finally succumbed to her exhaustion and threw herself onto the bed. She didn't bother changing out of her feathered mantle or full-body garb, deciding it was far too much effort.

The vampire placed a gloved hand on her stomach and sighed,
"I hope you're really in there. Otherwise, there's no way I'm making it out of this place alive."

Nox would turn away from everything else in the house, making a beeline towards his father's room. Not the deceased Nito's bedroom, no. The Grand Throne. Throwing the doors open, heavy obsidian monstrosities, the last Caer would enter inside. Suddenly he felt small, weak, overpowered. Even after all these years, his father's presences still ruled this chamber. It was stifling. This city thought Nox to be one of its greatest threat, but the current generation hadn't know his sire. Hadn't know the Demon that Walks. Nito Augustus Caer...

It infuriated Nox that he still couldn't recover his father's bones, or his legacy, the blade perfected, a mastercraft of true silver and fel iron, a longsword with a ludicrously long blade. Seraphim's Grace deserved to be returned to its rightful honor and heir. And so did his father's bones. Above all other things, the Church would pay for taking them both. He'd tear down every brick, bash every skull, lay waste to everything the holy institute had ever striven to achieve.

Dropping to one knee, the one that remained would keep his head low, not even worthy to gaze upon the seat of deceased patron. "I am doing my best Father. I've made great strides in my mission to make them all pay, and to raise our family from its ashes. I can only hope I'm making you proud...With your leave, sire..."

And then Nox would leave once more, returning to the basement for another snack...

As written by Emperor Jester and glmstr

The moon was full behind the clouds, causing the sky to glow with a pale light, even through the misting drizzle. Due to the nature of the material, Nox had opted to not wear his usual leather duster, instead favoring a simple, if expensive, silk shirt and pants for his nightly stroll with his...and he loathed the word...date.

Ever since the girl had arrived, Au had done nothing to bug him. However as much as he hated to admit it, Nox had not been easy on the girl, and if she was telling the truth about carrying his child...he'd have to learn to be gentle and affectionate with her, or at least tolerate her outside the bedroom. Which had led to this very idea, a simple stroll through the grounds, to supervise the spawn as they went about their chores. Now, Nox was growing impatient waiting for her.

This should be good, I don't want to overdress..
Aurelie rifled through her armoire for her favorite jacket, the open ankle-length coat she wore to the rave. Underneath that she had a soft white sleeveless shirt and black slacks, the former being paired with the jacket so her shoulders were covered for a stylish, albeit somewhat modest, look.

The vampire finally opened the door to her room and briskly walked to the door, letting herself outside without a sound. She quickly spotted Nox in the yard, and broke into a jog to meet up with him.
"Sorry about that, I was trying to decide how to make myself presentable."

Nox, much to his own surprise, would softly put an arm around her shoulders, immediately starting off their walk. Soon, however, the arm would drop, and without missing a beat in his stride, he'd turn his head to watch her as they moved across the grounds.

"What made you so confident as to seek me out? Could there be no possible others. Not to question your chastity, or lack thereof, but we did mate after just barely meeting when first we met."

"Well, to be honest I was more than horrified when you first walked in. For a few minutes, I thought I was going to die in that warehouse, but I'm here now. That sudden rush from being around someone so dangerous for so long, alongside some alcohol and your charms, I was smitten rather quickly," Aurelie smiled and started walking slightly closer to him, her warm red eyes making contact with his icy blue gaze.

"I haven't had a serious relationship in about a century, I've flirted and had a few one-night-stands here and there but nothing that really lasted. If you're asking me to be faithful, I can do that."
She remained silent for a few seconds, then looked up at him again,
"Want to tell me anything about yourself?" Her tone quickly shifted to something more playful," Since we'll be spending a lot of time together, I think it'd be good to know a little about my future husband," she finished with an awkward chuckle.

"...Lets not get ahead of ourselves. If the child is mine, and it proves to be powerful enough, strong enough to be my heir, then yes, I'll make you my wife. Until then, such talks are fruitless." Though he accepted her proximity, and appreciated her efforts, Nox had not felt himself stir at all towards any of her lighthearted words of amore.

However, she was trying, and thus deserved some kind of reward. "And if you must know...I find myself feeling the same way, in some aspects. The fact that you didn't flee, and even joined my seduction of the proselyte girl impressed me. And I must admit, it was nice to have a bed mate I didn't have to hold back on. At least, not as much as normal."

"Well, maybe one day you'll exchange childish romanticized lines with me. A girl can dream, I suppose," Aurelie smiled again and returned to nonchalantly scanning the courtyard before her, "If it's any consolation, that night has more or less ruined the chances me being in bed with any human. Don't need to shop around for cheap thrills when you're around, and the Caeruleum ferocity is no understatement," She gave him a wink.
"Talking dirty aside, it was exhilarating to say the least."

She needed to connect to him on some level other than just their experiences in bed together, so she continued to fish for things to talk to him about.
"If you don't mind me asking, why did you come to the party? I don't think you planned to share that evening with Rei and I, but you must have had some reason to."

"The party?" The question surprised him, and he couldn't help but give her an honest answer. "My upbringing was...unique. The life of Caer children is kept secret to the nth degree, but of course, that is common knowledge. We are taught one aspect of service, to the family, and nothing else. On the off chance I feel I have earned a night of indulgence, I'll gladly take it up. A party seemed like the right thing to do. I'm eternally young, and I felt...frisky. I apologize if that was the only reason, but alas, it was. I do not regret it though. Even with recent events."

"Completely understandable. Nobody should have to stay serious all of the time, and to be fair friskiness is why I stayed there. That, and keeping an eye on Rei so she didn't get herself into too much trouble. I guess I mostly succeeded in the latter," Aurelie wrapped an arm around Nox, his height meant that it only reached to his mid-back, just above the elbows.
"Maybe down the road you might tell me a little about that secret childhood, or probably not. I'd rather not imagine what it took to make someone as ruthless as yourself."

"...That was the purpose of it. Father decreed on my turning that I'd be the house's vanguard. Its rabid dog. I was let loose on any problem my sire thought brute force was the best answer to. Though my training did not turn me into some rabid mongrel, like those mutts that plague this city." Nox was, of course, referring to the lycans, and the obvious disdain he had for them. The fact that the city recognized those creatures as citizens, and not his own kindred was one of the hardest things he had learned about his fifty years of slumber.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I think you should have been worth much more to your family. Then again, that's coming from a houseless that was already living on her own when she was turned, so my opinions on family are different than your family's. I'm also assuming that the Vanguard is not an honorable thing to be, and for all I know that could also be the case."
Aurelie was starting to, of all things, pity the Caer.

"I don't hate the Garoux too terribly yet, but once again I've never had serious qualms with them, nor have they wronged me personally. I wish our kind had the same legal rights they have, but that would first require letting the world know we still exist, and that would almost certainly spell doom for all of us."

"I find it would be the opposite. That is why the church and all the other factions banded together to destroy my family. Killing us all off was the only way they could ensure we didn't take over this city, this entire land. Do you realize what that says? We were ONE house. One. And we brought this city to its knees. The dogs, the hunters, the Church, the Sylvestre, all of them. If the other house's hadn't been cowards and turncoats and stuck to their oaths of loyalty, we would've won." A snarl built on his lips, and for a moment, his guise slipped, revealing the cruel, twisted demon before his calm, handsome facade. "If those bastards hadn't been the slime ridden bastard-born they were, my family would still be here! I wouldn't be alone, and all of you filth would be crawling at my feet, begging to lick the shit from my boots!"

Aurelie stepped back, her eyes wide with fear. After a few seconds of tense silence, she reached towards him slowly.
"Nox, while that is exactly what would have happened, it didn't. This house had the potential to rule everything, and they feared that. Even now, that potential still exists, but it is still an ember waiting to restart the raging fire that came before it. It needs to kindle and gather more fuel, or else someone finds it and blots it out."

"The Caeruleum were mighty and numerous back then. Most if not all of the ones still alive are here at the manor, there are two Caer, you and your daughter, left, for now. You were such a monumental threat to them, but they failed to finish the job. They are just as strong as they were back then, if not stronger. No matter how strong you are, you need to be careful. You were all that was left of the Caer's legacy, and I, along with everyone else on your side, will not let that ember fade away."

For once, something the girl had said had actually managed to effect the Caer positively. He'd turn to her, wrapping his arms around her slender body, lifting her to give her a thankful nip on the neck, purring like he had when they'd met. "Sometimes you say the right words. You may actually be worthy of carrying my heir after all. You managed to surprise me. I like that about you, Aurelie."

It was the first time he'd used her name since she'd arrived at the manor.

"W-why thank you," Aurelie began to blush profusely, hearing this sort of praise and recognition from someone like Nox was usually a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and it was directed at her no less.
"Y-you used my.." she trailed off and held herself close to him, wordlessly listening to his purring. "At first I was having second thoughts about coming to you with that news, I'm glad I did, I don't think I could have done this alone."

"As long as there's a chance of you carrying my child, you will not only never be alone, but you'll also be safe. However...you know what happens if it turned out this is all false, or you've been mistaken? Or if the child is somehow lame or...undesirable. Or dead. I've never heard of my kin breeding with another undead successfully before, but I will risk this chance if it means an heir."

The vampire let out a small sigh, but her worries were far from over. "If something does go wrong, I hope you wouldn't get rid of me or feed me to the imps. If that is what you were planning, I guess I have to charm you that much more," Aurelie let out an uncomfortable laugh. "Alongside having an heir, I can make myself useful to you in other ways. You know, I've done some contract work for the church so they trust me, I could probably enlist Rei and snoop around there, if there's anything of interest that they'd have."

"I don't want you going anywhere near the church, is that understood? Not if you're carrying my child." He'd pause to think, his hand finding his chin to gently scratch there. "Rei though...She may be useful, if you can make contact with her. I want to know how the church is responding to whatever it is the mutts have been up to...And she still owes me the creator of Bloodbane. Think you could pass that message on for me, Aurelie?"

"I'll let Rei know. I have my own phone, but I can use a burner if you'd rather," Aurelie reached into her pocket and produced a small cellphone, but while it had a touchscreen it was by no means state-of-the-art. She slipped it back to where it came from promptly, and gave a small yawn.
"Is there anything else you want to tell me, or want to know?"

"No. I believe this date has fulfilled its purpose. I actually find myself growing somewhat fond of you." A peck of the forehead. "I almost hope you are telling the truth, or at the very least, guessing correctly. I think I'd be a tad bit sad if I had to end your life." With a bark, he'd leave her, strolling over to a group of spawn who were fighting over the scraps of a stray cat, ordering his minions around with seasoned grace.

"That's good to hear. I'm already fond of you, so it's nice that the feeling's reciprocated," Aurelie smiled and waltzed back into the manor, and promptly crawled into bed. Living with Nox was getting better and better, one step at a time.

As written by Emperor Jester and glmstr

The movement of the nighttime clouds revealed the moon, and its cold rays of light shone into Aurelie's room and woke her from her attempt to sleep. She instinctively turned on her phone and checked the time, it was not nearly too late to make that phone call she needed to.

She tapped the phone application on the display, and scrolled down the list to "Rei Holstadt". A few taps later and she was already calling the proselyte.

Rei would take awhile to answer, she had to find a quiet place away from the practice field she'd been in, separating her sparring partner with a call for a short respite. The Proselyte wiped the sweat from her brow and took a seat on a bench in the shade close to the side of the nearby building, pressing the answer button swiftly upon seeing the caller ID.

"Whats up?, I'm practicing for the sake of the order" She chimed, emphasizing where she was and that ears might be listening in.

"I have a request for you, when you are available to speak, erm, freely."

Rei sighed and rubbed her eyes. "Hold up a minute." She ordered, she began to untie some of the weight bands from her body but decided against it, strolling up to her sparring partner and pointing at the phone. Apologizing for ending their session so soon, the older Proselyte made a promise to come and help her younger classmate practice another time and then hurried off to one of her hidden spots near the edge of the orders grounds.

"Alright, I'm in a more private area. So what's up sis, whats the family emergency?" She asked genuinely, with a hint of mischief in her voice. She still wasn't free to talk openly after all, just in case, it seemed with the Masters request and with circumstances as they were, she was being monitored more tightly than before.

"Well, you were supposed to eventually tell Malcolm about that poisonous stuff, so he asked me to give you a call. Also, he was curious about the incidents with the dogs. If you can let us know what you find out next time you come visit, that'd be great," Aurelie followed along, with the tone of an older sister. She just had to hope that it was convincing to anyone that may have been somehow eavesdropping.

"Sure thing, its been awhile since I've visited you two. I mean I went to the church and you went your way, so can you give me your address again?~" She questioned, relaxing into a thick bush carefully.

"Alright, I'm assuming you won't need a pen and paper for this," the vampire slowly read out the address for the Caer Manor. "Please call ahead when you come, Malcolm has some guards and they don't like surprise visitors. Of course, if he knows you're coming he can tell them to let you in. Can't wait to see you again, sis," Aurelie let out a little chuckle.

Rei grinned and tapped the back of her phone quietly. "You two always were a paranoid couple, I'll call you when I'm there, but I'll have to wait awhile. You know how the church feels about my habits as it is." She answered, after all, he knew when things would allow her to leave the church safely without jeopardizing her position. Rei scratched her chin thoughtful with the other hand, it seemed she just attracted paranoid and dangerous family figures.

"There are some people that aren't fans of us, you can't blame the man. Anywho, I'll see you when you get here, bye." Aurelie ended the call quickly. She turned off her phone and placed it on her nightstand. She yawned and stretched, and shuffled out of her room. Her footsteps were quiet as she slowly made her way to Nox's room.

"Nox, I just called Rei and told her about what you needed from her. She'll come visit with what she finds out later, and I reminded her to call ahead so our guards don't get riled up when she arrives."

Nox would allow her into the room, Aurelie finding him in a lounging chair, his favorite in the decrepit library. "Good. I'll make a note to the spawn to allow her inside the grounds without be accosted. I do not exactly trust her, though. Watching the Church this closely, using one of their own pawns...it is risky. I fear I have been too...open, as of late. Drawing too much attention to myself...My own survival is, of course, not at risk. I am the alpha predator of this city but I am concerned for...what I have built in these last weeks..." He refused to meet her eyes, staring out the window onto the grounds.

"I doubt she'll be much of a liability. If she does become a threat, either from her capture or her betrayal, we can deal with her," Aurelie hated to say it, but it was the truth. "If you want us to lay low, does that mean we should keep recruiting more to our cause, or should we stay and simply repair the manor for now?" The vampire took a seat in a nearby chair, and began to look out the window to try to find whatever the Caer had been staring at.

"...No. We proceed as planned. Father always said I was paranoid, and no good would come from worry about such things. Father was always right about those things..." Nox seemed to be drawn to something in the distance. Whatever it was, it was for his eyes only, something far off beyond his fellow undead's range of sight. "Have the spawn go on alert though. I am a person of instinct, despite my patron's warnings. I must trust my gut."

"Understood, I'll send the message immediately," Aurelie stood up and took her leave, grabbing a nearby spawn on her way back to her room.
"Master Nox wants the guards on alert tonight. Go, tell the others," she patted the servant once on the back and it scampered off into the manor. After a few minutes, the pitter-patter of dozens of spawn feet could be heard moving towards the entrance, and some walking up and down the hallways.

As written by Tiko

A nearby townhouse...

Edouard payed no mind to the pair of dead humans splayed across the carpet of the elegant townhome's dining room. Their blood had long since grown cold, and the smell of death filled the building that he now made use of. The family husky raised its head with a growl and gave a bark at the window, seemingly unpurturbed by the presence of its owners murderer at hand as it warned Edouard of the return of another.

Upon the windowsill a woman was crouched with all the grace of a cat as she peered through the glass expectantly. Irenee. He opened the window and she swung inside and landed softly upon the floor where she gave the dog a pointed stare until it whined and lay its head back down.

"Any luck?" she asked Edouard as she straitened.

"Not much," he answered. "You?"

She shook her head.

"I got a look at the grounds without drawing any attention, but the place is crawling with spawn," she explained. "I didn't want to risk being spotted on the grounds, so I moved along."

"It's good you didn't," Edouard answered with a shake of his head. "I've been through half a dozen rats, two cats, and a crow," he told her with a grimace. "Not even the vermin can tread near that manor. The crow managed a few rounds before it got snagged though. Nox is definitely holed up there, and with three, maybe four vampires. Been some humans coming and going also. They're going to get suspicious of all the animals, if I keep sending more in."

"Let's just take what we have back," Irenee answered. "What about them?" she added with a look to the couple splayed out on the carpet.

"Leave them, it'll just look like a break-in anyways by the time they're found," he answered.

He picked up a porcelain vase from a nearby mantle and gave it a look before tossing Irenee a wink. "A gift for Adelaide."

Irenee snorted and shook her head. "I can't make up my mind on whether you're a masochist, or just a moron."

"Can't I be both?" he asked with a grin.

The two departed as unobtrusely as they had arrived, quietly bantering among one another as they were swallowed up by the night.

as written by Knosis, Script, Krysis, and Tiko

One day later...

The engine of the van was nearly silent as Enrie steered down the streets of Fontainbleu. She knew where the manor was, and approached the area from the side with the tallest buildings. They wanted to drop Sid off where she would have the best vantage point, assuming that the higher up, the more likely she would be able to pick off any fleeing subjects.

Once the dyed gun nut was happy, the rest of the team would move on. On to the manor. Down the block from the target, Enrie waited to hear from Sid over the earwigs, letting the engine idle and only somewhat listening for the rest of the team.

In the back of the van, Eloi was idly twirling a faintly shimmering crystal between his fingers. Upon his back was strapped what was frankly an entirely unreasonable number of swords - eight in total, most of which were not positioned in such a way that they would be easy to draw, and wrapped carefully in dark cloth to keep them from clattering. As well as the swords, an equally absurd number of smaller blades were strapped to various parts of his body. Nobody could ever accuse him of being under prepared.

Sid set up shop in an abandoned house in line of sight of the Caer manor, her rifle barely visible from the busted window. She put her black ball cap, pulling her hood over that on before leaning into the rifle, her eye on the scope.

"I am in position.." She whispered. And she became very still, almost as a statue.

As the others were getting into place, Irenee tugged on her black gloves and exchanged a knowing look with Edouard. It was almost time. The masks that overed the lower portion of their faces, and the black cowls that further obscured their identity offered anonymity while reflecting the origins of their name. The Wraiths. Their black armor offered mobility and protection against both bladed and blunt strikes, and the sigil of their order was affixed to the breastplate and highly visible.

Enrie pulled up her own mask and tugged the hood into place as she opened the door on her side. Leaving it open, so there would be no tell-tale slams, she'd lead the charge. Her soft-soled shoes were quiet even when she wasn't trying, so when the Wraiths were on duty, the wind made more noise. Her saber bounced at her side, but the weapon in her arms looked like it might be the big brother to the paladins' 'lawkeeper' side arm.

Eloi followed closely behind. As he moved, he began to channel power into his swords, and they twitched in their wrappings. They would be ready to respond when he reached the manor. He swept towards the building with as soft a footfall as Enrie, vaulting gracefully over the fence after her to close in on the door. As they dashed across the grass, his swords freed themselves from their bindings entirely and moved to circle him, keeping pace even with his rapid speed.

Zieg's glowing hues were the only thing noticed as his shadowy existence melted from the van to the darkness of the night. He waited outside the van for Irenee to disembark, and then took her hand in his, and the pair of them disappeared into the shadows of the night.

In the small area around where he moved, the area would seem to grow darker. Lights that normally illuminated full yards now only illuminated partially, as if the shadows themselves were working to snuff out the light. Vampires did not need the light to see, but this seemed different, as if it simply muted vision.

The last to exit the vehicle were a trio of massively oversized wolves that flanked Edouard's movements as they followed at his heels.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by glmstr and Script

Meanwhile inside the manor...

"So why are you on our side, instead of with Sylvestre?" Aurelie took a sip of her tea, gesturing to the kettle and empty cup next to her. "Also, want some?"

Jamie looked across at Aurelie from his seat in the Caer Manor's parlor, tilting his head at her curiously. He'd had little interaction with the other vampire in Nox's apparent service since he arrived. "Because he's stronger than them," he answered plainly, shrugging. "Where it matters. Sylvestre only have power because they have power... people follow them because of all the other people following them. Not because they're strong themselves."

He shook his head to her offer of tea, before leaning back in his chair and staring at the ceiling. He'd been waiting for some time now for Nox to see him regarding what the Caer wanted him to be doing, and was growing restless.

"Also, because serving Sylvestre was boring. I never got to do anything."

"Too much waiting and bureaucracy, not enough action, I suppose." The vampire placed her teacup onto the table. "Sylvestre's gone mad with their political power. When I was turned, my very life was in the hands of some bureaucrat that got to decide whether or not I would be executed, since the guy that turned me didn't go through them to have it approved. I'm grateful for their decision to spare me, but it shouldn't have been their choice in the first place."

Aurelie's posture was notably more tense as she spoke, only relaxing slightly when she lifted her teacup and took another drink.

"So do you think the rest of your family will follow suit and turn against the House?"

"Hmm..." Jamie shrugged his shoulders noncommittally. "Maybe. If Nox impresses my sire. They'll probably fight at some point. If my sire wins, he'll probably kill me. If he loses, and doesn't die, he'll probably support Nox."

He frowned. "That's oversimplifying it. But, at the heart of it, that's what it'll be. Even if the fight isn't as direct as mine was. Nox will have to prove he's worthy."

"You saw for yourself, I'm confident that he can do it. No offense to your sire, but Nox is, to say the least, a force to be reckoned with," Aurelie smiled, letting her attention wander around the room after a few seconds.

"Maybe. I've fought both of them, now. I don't know who would win, for certain. I haven't seen Nox go all out." Jamie shrugged again. He wouldn't have been there if he didn't think that Nox could do it, but it was far from clear cut.

as written by Knosis and Emperor Jester

Meanwhile, Noemi sat in her room, as she had done most often since her arrival in the manor. She wore nothing but a slip that she had deemed the most comfortable to wear out of everything Nox had given her, and moped around her room bored most days. Occasionally, one of Nox's servants would come and pester her, and she would merely wave it away or threaten it with picking up some of the items in her room and throwing them at the ugly creatures. She had not gone back to work, despite Nox's desires(and threats) for her to do so.

A gentle rap at Noemi's door...

Noemi's eyes shot up and she grabbed the music box that sat on the nightstand beside her bed. "I swear if that's you again, I'm going to bash your head in."

"Who do you mean, child?" Nox's voice would resonate from the other side of the door. "And if you wish to try that again, I am willing let you. The result will be the same as in the basement, however."

Noemi's eyes narrowed at the door. "I meant your servant that keeps pestering me every ten minutes or so. But you can fuck off too." She growled. That filter had yet to be placed perfectly yet. Still, she put the music box back on the table with a sharp clatter.

Nox would sigh. "I wish you'd watch your tongue more carefully, my dear. If my reaction earlier this week was...more extreme than necessary..." There would be a pause, and then a sound as if some one had slumped against the door. "Apologies do not come to me easily, if they ever do at all. I am a creature of instinct. Do you understand what I am trying to say?"

Astonished silence would resound in the room behind the door. He hadn't exactly apologized, but he had at least made the notion to do so, something that far exceeded the expectations the young Caer had held the man even capable of doing. She turned away from the door. "This is unexpected from you, Father. You sure you are feeling well at all then? Please tell me if or when you feel like hugging or cuddling next, because I'm pretty sure you'll want to be put down before then." She scoffed, but her heart wasn't in it.

"You may come in, the door isn't locked. Your servants 'fixed' it so that it couldn't be."

"...I won't come inside unless you want me to. That is your room, your sanctuary. We can continue to talk through the wood, if you'd prefer." He'd wanted a family but building one was proving...well...There was a reason Nox had stayed out of the house as much as he could when...when...He should have spent more time with them. "I was wondering if you were hungry. I've been told you haven't eaten today."

The girl made a sound that sounded between a scoff and a sigh. Footsteps sounded and the door cracked open, allowing Nox to view into the dark room and the glowing blue hues of his child. "I have already given permission for you to enter the room. Unless you want to continue looking silly talking to the door."

She pulled back and sat back on the bed. "I've not eaten in a while, no." She muttered very quietly. The Caer would be able to tell. She looked rather sickly, even for a vampire. "I've not wanted to go downstairs and be reminded of my embarrassment.." She murmured. In truth, she just didn't want to be reminded of murdering that girl that night, or the fact they were kept pinned up down there like cows.

Nox would step inside, but just barely, taking up most of the doorway, leaning on it. "You must eat. If you'd prefer, I can have the spawn bring your meals to you." A pause, a sigh bordering on disappointed. "Already slain, if you wish. I'd prefer it if you would kill it yourself, or even hunted it down and fed on fresh prey. I know I promised to show you how to hunt properly, but my time has been...taxed lately."

That spurred Noemi's flames. She glared ice back to her father. "You will do no such thing. I hate those creatures, and I hate the thought of them hand feeding me like I'm some ignorant child." She hissed. However, her next statement seemed abashed, and she even averted her eyes from her father. "I want to hunt. I really do." She said, her voice barely audible, and even softer still she added, "But I don't want to look the fool while doing so. I am a fast study, so if someone can show me how.. I'll never need to be shown again.."

Noemi hated feeling a burden, especially when it came to taking care of herself. That was how she felt when both arms had been broken by Nox before he turned her, and Nina had to show up and help her every day. "So if you're too busy for me, so be it, I'll just wait it out.."

"I'm never too busy for you, Noemi. You will learn this. Tomorrow night. We will hunt. I'll show you. Like a father should." Nox could do it tonight. He had the freedom, and the ability to do so right now. Something though...something didn't sit well tonight. If he had been Hadren or Augustus or even Amora, he might have been able to glimpse at the future for a hint but...

"It'll be grand. We'll let you pick who it is. Maybe a couple. I'll show you how to kill them and where to take the body or the scraps or whatever is left. I'll get the male, you the female. We can make a game of it, if you prefer." The way he said it almost sounded like Nox was...nostalgic.

Noemi nodded slightly. "Alright. We'll make a game of it then." She pulled her knees into her chest and stared down at the floor.

"So how long before I'm replaced?" She asked bluntly. "Before your true heir is born and you'll no longer need or want me?" Her words were biting and harsh, but the undertone spoke of fear. She looked up to Nox. He could tell this had been on her mind for several days. She truly felt her time was limited. "You only went through the trouble of dealing with me because you wanted.. Needed a family. Now that you have one in the works.." She couldn't make herself finish the last words.

"...Dear child..." He'd move beside her, taking a seat on her bed, wrapping her in a tight embrace, practically crushing her to his chest. "You will not be replaced. Wherever did you get such an idea? You ARE my first born, and I am your father...just...not in the traditional sense. I know you mean to kill me, but that hardly matters, at least to me. You'll either succeed, or grow tired of trying, and when that happens..."

A hand through her hair, refusing to let her go. "...Everything will be better. I may have stolen your life from you, but I want to make the one I give you a thousand times better than the one you had."

Noemi allowed him to pull her into his chest and stayed there without struggle. As he spoke, he could feel the tension in her relax some. He wasn't going to kill her. Not now, anyway. She was trembling slightly and tears fell down her cheeks, freezing part way down on her skin. "S-so you're not going to kill me..?" It was a rhetorical question, of course. She seemed relieved.

She still hated the man. She still planned on ending him. But for that moment, she was grateful to him.

"You've given me no reason to kill you. Every child has a rebellious phase. I certainly know I did. I can't count how many times my siblings and I tried to usurp our Father's throne. We all did, at least once. A little patriacide is natural in a budding Caer." Nox would explain, rather calmly, like a parent giving a concerned lecture.

Once more he'd run his hand through her hair. "And next time your father comes in the room, you may want to think about putting on some less...seductive attire."

"Its not like I knew it was you coming to my room, otherwise I probably would have put other clothes on.." She muttered. "You've not bothered me since the cellar, so do you blame me for not expecting you?"

"And all I've got are dresses though, and although they are lovely.." She had to admit, they were outstandingly beautiful. ".. I am not use wearing them all the time.." She tried to pull away to wipe her eyes.

The Patriarch would let her go, rising from his position on the bed to move towards her wardrobe. "Forgive me. I am not used to the way women dress these days yet. I figured your tastes would've been similar to those of my sisters and...daughters." He'd let that hang in the air for a moment, moving towards the door.

"I can leave if you wish. I merely wished to let you know I was...well...And that you are still very much wanted here. I chose you for a reason."

"So, if you consider them your daughters.. Were they your attempts to sire before me? Or what are they?" She moved off her bed and grabbed the robe hanging on a chair and wrapped it around.

"I.." She pulled her hair out of the robe. "I don't mind you staying if you want to. I have questions and I've been bored.."

"No...The spawn are not...You are my firstborn because you are the oldest child, by blood or by curse, still..." He'd stop then, gritting his teeth. "Nevermind. You said something about questions?"

The air in the room suddenly seemed much colder...and incredibly forlorn.

as written by Krysis, Emperor Jester, Knosis, Tiko, and Script

Back outside...

As they approached from the rear of the ruined Caeruleum manor, Enrie lead the way through the brown weeds. The tall, dry strands rustled as the Wraiths passed like the shadow of a dream, and then they were at the fountain. Once that location was secured, the next step would be the back of the kitchen. Closer to the building, the grass was more trampled and the cover less, but that would hardly be a problem for the faceless elite team.

Guard. Protect. Kill intruders. A spawn perked its disfigured ears as it swiveled around its post near an old, decrepit porch, crawling around on the ruined architecture on all fours. It'd sniff the air. Master said to watch the grounds. Master was nervous. Master was never nervous. Kill. Hungry. Cold. Always cold. INTRUDER!

A hiss of alarm and anger. A pounce. The rodent had never stood a chance. As it dangled from the imp-like spawn's maw, it would twitch erratically, looking for its sisters and more prey. Must protect the Master. Movement all around it, in grass, on the roof, amongst the rubble. So much movement. One. Two. Three. The counting. All ten.

Wait. More than ten? Not right. More spawn come from house? Impossible. Master would say. With a snarl, it'd move to investigate, darting towards the almost collapsed guest house.

Sid's trained eyes kept on the grounds of the manor, watching as her teammates made their approach. She also saw the outside spawn. They were on high alert, odd enough. So the Caer had felt threatened tonight. Very well then.

One of the spawn was moving too close to the team. 'Well guys, let the party begin...' She thought to herself. Her song changed in her ear that didn't have the earwig in it, she took aim for the head of the creature.

The new silencer Enrie had provided her worked wonders. There would be a soft pop in the distance as it downed the first spawn in the yard, its head no longer intact.

"You guys better move faster." Sid said in the earwig quietly.

The group responded with precision and efficiency, moving with a speed and silence befitting their namesake as they closed the distance on the manor in scant moments. To any onlookers, they appeared little more than a brief blur as they reached the threshold into the kitchen.

Any spawn in their path met the same fate as the first that had fallen beneath Sid's sharp eye.

Enrie had years of experience in getting through doors quickly and quietly, though she had never quite mastered the art of 'scrubbing' a lock. Still, grasping the knob so the door would not fly and crash, her shoulder slammed near the lock. The lock plate would bounce across the freshly scrubbed tiled floor inside, along with a chunk of the frame. She followed the peices in immediately, moving to one side to give the others room to enter as well.

Part of the point was to draw attention to the tougher crew coming in at ground level, so Ernie wasn't exactly trying to be as silent as possible. Her firearm hung on the shoulder strap as she put her hand on her sabre, just in case there was any Spawn in the kitchen, where Sid couldn't take care of the creepy little creatures for them.

The trio of wolves were quick to spill through the door and around Enrie as Edouard followed her in, and they would be swift in alerting to the presence of nearby vampires.

Last to enter was Eloi, his blades drawing in close around him - partly in a protective pattern, and partly just to fit easily through the doorway and inside the more confined space of the building's interior.

Immediately, he flared his soulsight, casting his eyes around to try and pinpoint the location of any visible auras in the building. "Two vampires on this floor. Three- no, two on the next. One of them... it must be Nox, his aura is... incredible." Eloi tore his eyes away from the nebula of darkness that swirled above them, suppressing a shiver of delight.

as written by Tiko and Knosis

Upstairs...

Leah's fingers brushed over the bindings of some of the books that lined the shelves of the library, and her eyes cast over their titles with vacant curiosity. She wasn't truly interested in what lay within their pages, but rather was simply passing the time until she could speak with Nox on the development of matters with House Sylvestre.

Engrossed as she was, she didn't at first realize something amiss when a distant pop filled the night. Her first impulse was to turn her gaze towards the window but her instincts left her skin crawling at her back and she whirled about to face the room in time to spot the shadows peeling away from Irenee and Zieg's forms.

Her eyes went wide, but as her lips parted to shout out a warning to the rest of the house, a faint whistle and wet thunk punctuated the air instead. The blade that Irenee had loosed met its mark and burried itself in Leah's throat. Blood welled around the exposed hilt, and though the wound would not in itself prove fatal, it had proven efficient in abruptly silencing Leah.

Zieg had started moving as soon as Irenee let loose her blade, running straight forward the unsuspecting woman. He pulled on the wire that was hidden in the cuff of his arm bracer and took little time to meet Leah's neck. He ran past her, wrapping the sharp wire about her neck and drew in tightly, the wire cutting into skin like a blade through cheese.

Within seconds, the male vampire jerked the wire through completely with a soft grunt, allowing the head to thump on the ground as he grabbed the body, and quietly let it slump to the floor. He pulled the blade from what remained of Leah's neck and held it up, hilt first to Irenee, expecting her to take it from him.

Irenee barely broke stride as she retrieved her blade from Zieg, and words weren't needed between the pair. She kept close to his heels as they slipped across the library floor, and her eyes were peeled for movement as they made their way for the hall outside.

Back