Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Lupaix

as written by Lialore

Brendan took a sideways glance towards the kid’s hands and raised his eyebrows.

“Ow.”

He began to punch in the cab number as they turned one of their final corners. Across this new, small street, two men were passing by with hoods drawn up. Brendan watched them a little too obviously as he ordered their taxi. They didn’t seem to take notice, and as they rounded their own corner, Brendan lowered his phone from his ear with a little frown. He then shook his head.

“So… if it ain’t tuna, what’ll it be? I feel like a lot o’ them lot would be likin’ five cigarettes over some sausages if I’m honest. Cab’ll be here in ten. Just gotta wait on the corner o’ this road.”

There was more of a bustling sound now as the main street than joined onto their current one came closer. Cars passed by the opening and there was a steady flow of walkers, looking this way and that before crossing.

as written by Script

"I'm really not fussy," Seri answered, shrugging. "I eat what I can get hold of. Haven't had much chance to develop refined tastes or nothing. So whatever fast food place we're hitting is fine."

He leaned onto a lamppost, casting his eyes around. "So you're Brendan, right?" he asked after a lengthy silence. "And you have a brother in the pack. Figure I should try and get to know all you fuckers' names at the very least. You seem awful blasé about me ... not being like you all. I assumed it'd be more of an issue with most of you."

as written by Lialore

“Aight. Mm, I’m Brendan. Me brother’s Desmond. We met yer back at the Phantom Quarter when you were even more raggy.”

He stuffed his phone and hands back into his pockets as they came to their spot. He stood still, feet slightly apart on the side of the road, watching Seri with an amused twist of the lips. He was only fairly sure he knew what ‘blasé’ meant.

“I don’t mind you bein’ a weirdo, but ain’t too sure on the ‘fucker’ part” he said, mostly joking. “An’ hey, you don’t go round rippin’ people’s guts out or stealin’ kid’s ice creams for no reason. So I can’t find no real beef with yer’. But I guess I ain’t like most of ‘em. No bikes, no smokes, not much fightin’. Y’know.”

as written by Script

Seri nodded, "Maybe I just haven't met the ones that'll tear my face off for the crime of existing yet."

He rolled his eyes. "Cheery thought."

as written by Lialore

“Most likely. You should definitely keep yer claws sharp.”

Their cab arrived ahead of schedule, the driver not sparing them a single curious look.

“Hop in” Brendan told Seri cheerily, rounding the bonnet of the car and hauling himself into the front passenger seat.

“Just the high street please, mate” he told the driver, who didn’t give him any sort of recognition other than heading off in the right direction.

It wasn’t a long journey. Ten minutes or so. When they pulled up, the driver simply held his hand out for payment. Brendan took his time counting out the change just to be a bother, then smiled at the grumpy man.

“Cheer up, could be worse” he said, then let himself out onto the reasonably busy centre street of Lupaix.

as written by Script

"Uhg," Seri wrinkled his nose as he stepped out onto the high street. "I hate crowds."

It had been a fairly long time since he last visited a busy area of the city during the daylight hours. He was more of a nighttime guy. He cast his eyes around at the various shops and the people coming to and fro, none sparing the pair of them so much as a glance. At least nobody paid attention to anyone else in a crowd. Unless they were looking for them.

"Got a place in mind?" he asked Brendan, tilting his head towards him. As they moved off into the throng of people he stuck close to the werewolf, contrasting with the way he'd kept himself at arm's length when it was just the pair of them with plenty of space.

as written by Lialore

“I ain’t much of a fan either,” Brendan agreed uneasily. But luckily for him people tended to budge out of his path before any kind of collision happened, since he was usually the broadest shoulders on the street.

“Ehh” he said, peering over the heads in the direction of the biggest general store in the area. “Probably just head over there. They got a deli, get some other stuff too. Don’t want no dodgy looking receipts around. Grandma’s weekly shop, remember. And a good deal o’ smokes, but stockin’ up ain’t so strange.”

“You pushin’ the cart” he said, nodding to the line of them outside as they drew near. “Build yer up.”

as written by Script

Seri shot Brendan an unamused glance. "Right," he replied, sounding thoroughly unconvinced. "The 'shopping cart' workout."

Though he grumbled, he did as requested and took a cart. As they walked into the store, he glanced around with a frown. "It's been a long time since I went into a shop with the intent to pay for anything," he remarked under his breath.

as written by glmstr and Ronin

Savien's interview with Arien had been fruitful. Though all of the proselytes had mentioned Aurelie's presence in their reports, none of them had known that she worked with the church in the past. A quick scan through the database gave Savien what he wanted - her file. The paladin had her alleged age and place of residence, along with a documented list of all the assignments she'd taken with the Order in the past. She seemed to favor work outside city limits, where worked as a guide. Curiously, she wore a mask for many of their engagements...

The paladin pulled his destrier up to an apartment complex in Lupaix. 'PEACH TREES', the neon billboard mounted on the roof read. The 'P' flickered on and off in sporadic intervals.

He parked and walked into the lobby.

The lobby was suprisingly clean and well-groomed for such a dank and destitute part of Lutetia City. The walls sported a tacky but endearing tan and cream pinstripe wallpaper, with floral designs in a bronze hue. A healthy ficus in a clay pot stood in the corner to greet visitors, as well as various paintings hung sporadically throughout the room.

At the counter, opposite the door, sat an elderly woman hunched over a newspaper. She was scrawling something with a pencil, likely working on the daily crossword, when she looked up and saw the paladin.

"Can I help you, dearie?"

Savien's eyes went to each door, corner, exit and window before finally resting on the woman.

"Good day," he touched two fingers to his lips, "I'm here on state business. I need to speak with a resident in this facility. Aurelie Lacroix." He stepped forward, glancing at one of the paintings hung on the wall - a duplicated pastel of a ship docking at a harbor. "If she doesn't answer, I'll need the keys to her room. I have a warrant."

"Aurelie?" the woman raised an eyebrow, before reaching into a drawer to begin looking for the key. "A very unusual one, yes. A nice girl, but an odd customer if I've ever seen one. I think she's a hermit, just about never leaves that apartment. When she does, she comes home at such crazy hours in the night. Sometimes I worry, but she's always come back safe and sound. But, she hasn't come home recently... aha!" Her bony fingers plucked the key, which had Apt. 124 carefully written in permanent marker on it, from its holder.

"Here you go, please don't tear up the place too much."

Savien took the key. "Thank you. I'm sure I won't have to." He decided to save his questions till after he'd searched Aurelie's room.

The paladin took the stairs to the next floor and traversed the long hallways till he came to room 124. He rapped sharply on the wood.

"Aurelie Lacroix. Open up. This is the law." He listened intently for the sound of life.

The apartment was completely silent. Not a sound of breath, a sound of footstep, not even the shifting of clothing.

Savien fitted the key and turned, peering into the darkness. He snatched up a circular disc from his belt and drew a circle around it with his thumb. A focused beam of light shot out of the disc. Drawing his lawkeeper, he magnetized the disc to the weapon and advanced inside, shining his light all about the room for a quick survey. Finding the light switch near the door, he illuminated the apartment.

The cheap incandescent bulbs flickered to life after a few moments of effort, to reveal the apartment.
It had the same wallpaper as the lobby, but otherwise had little to nothing in comparison. The room was messy, turned upside down with furniture, clothes and belongings strewn about. It seemed as if somebody was looking for something in the room, or someone was in a hurry. There were some pictures that fell from the walls and landed facedown, a trashcan with some papers in it (they were very uncrumpled, they must have fallen in by mistake), and there was a nightstand drawer which actually seemed rather untouched compared to the rest of the room.

Savien took in the room. He dialed down his roundlight but didn't holster his weapon. Whoever was in here last had been in a hurry.

He started with what was amiss - the nightstand. Careful not to upset the scene, Savien walked over to it and looked for anything on or in the stand that might help him discern who Aurelie was and what connection she had with Malcolm.

Within the first drawer, Savien found two boxes of ammunition. One was much more ornate than the other and made with a thicker box. The manufacturer and the style of bullet was printed in bright font on both of them, suggesting rounds for a medium-sized pistol. In permanent marker, the two boxes had big letters drawn on them: the more mundane box had CuZn, while the fancier box had Ag written on it.

Savien opened the boxes, finding them (unsurprisingly) filled with brass and silver bullets. The latter was more interesting. What did anyone other than monster hunters need silver bullets for? He supposed she did lots of work with the church. Might explain why she'd need to be prepared for monsters.

He tried the last drawer, but found it locked. Hm.

Standing up, Savien made a brief pass over the floor, scanning for any articles of clothing or discarded belongings that might seem of interest. He walked over to the fallen pictures next, picking them up to have a look at them.

The first picture Savien found was a rather simple one, the Lutetia City skyline in black-and-white. A good chance the photograph was either actually taken a long time ago, but more likely that some photography student took it on a digital camera and took away the colors with post-processing.

The second picture, surprisingly small, seemed slightly less mundane. The picture consisted of two figures shaking hands on the Veres Manies, the great cathedral. Savien strained his eyes to recognize the two figures. One was covered head-to-toe in clothing and a black cloak, their face completely sheltered from the light by a hood.
The other figure was much more readily identified. It was none other than Eclaron Taris Madonil.

Curious. Savien didn't recognize the framed picture from any history books. What was a photograph of a murdererd Eclaron doing in this woman's home? Savien removed a small digital camera from his belt and snapped a picture of the photograph before moving on.

He moved to the trashcan next, sifting through the stack of papers for anything that might stand out to him.

The papers consisted of bills, checks from the church, magazines, largely riff-raff. Among the papers in the trash can was a small envelope, tied shut with a string, with the word 'Apartment' hastily scribbled on the back with a pen.

Savien actually picked up a few of the bills, scanning to see if anything interesting were on them other than electricity and groceries. When he found the envelope, he weight in in his hands, thumbed through the paper to see if anything hard or sharp was inside, before opening it and checking its contents.

The bills were all run-of-the-mill, something you'd expect a regular person to buy. Within the envelope was a few pieces of paper, namely the original registration form to rent the apartment, and a very small key.

Savien checked the registration, ensuring the information matched what he had on file. He took the key in hand. Walking back to the nightstand, he tried to open it with the key.

The registration matched up, but there was one major discrepancy: According to the document in the envelope, the apartment has been rented by the same tenant for almost a century. It was quite likely that this was just a typo, however.

The nightstand's lower drawer opened with a dull click, and slid open. Within, a newspaper. The paper was face-down though, so the headline and picture weren't visible.

A century? He would have to talk to the landlady. No matter, the key seemed to work. Whatever Aurelie was trying to hide was about to be exposed.

No human skulls, no blood samples on glass slates. Just a black-and-white. Savien reached out and turned the paper over.

The picture took up almost all of the front page: A somewhat pale-skinned brunette girl, clearly in her early twenties. Above read a headline, in big block letters:
MISSING: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS GIRL?

In a caption below the almost mugshot-like image, likely from her drivers license, "If you have seen this woman or have any information that can contribute to her discovery, please call . . ."a phone number is listed,"or contact the Lutetia Police Department."
Curiously, the date for the paper was only a few years before the date listed on the apartment papers: a century in the past.

Well. That was not what Savien had been expecting. He took another picture of the paper before perusing through it. If nothing else jumped out at him and if nothing else was in the drawer, he would close it and lock it again.

Pieces were coming together in his head. A woman went home with an alleged. Her apartment had been rented out for the better part of a century. Savien would need to get an ID from the proselytes, but his gut told him that the missing girl in the paper was Aurelie.

Whoever this girl was, she wasn't human.

After a brief search of the rest of the apartment, Savien put everything back in the general state he found it and left.

"Thank you," he offered the key back to the landlady. "If you don't mind me asking, do you know how long Ms. Lacroix has had an apartment in this complex?"

"Well, she's lived in that apartment as long as I can remember. She must be older than a rock at this point, maybe that's why she's always covered in that strange outfit. Poor thing, I hope she isn't fretting about aging. It's a part of life, you know," the elderly woman gave a slightly wheezing laugh, her tone a mixture of playfulness and unease.

She reached out and gently grabbed the key, placing it back into the drawer where it belonged.
"If you find out something happened to her, please let me know. I worry about my tenants."

"Of course," Savien nodded, "has she ever come home with anyone? A friend or a lover?"

"Eh? Never. I don't think she's ever brought guests, she always comes home alone."

"I see." Savien reached into his belt and lay a card on her desk. "Thank you for your cooperation. Let me know if you see her again, call that number." He turned to leave, but stopped. "Oh and... if she does return and asks who was in her room..." He turned to look at her, his voice lowering. "Don't tell her it was the church." The paladin was thinking more for the landlady's benefit than his own. Better Aurelie believe that some two-bit detective or monster hunter was on her trail than a paladin. She might be less-inclined to cover her tracks ... and potentially clean up anybody that knew of her whereabouts.

With that, Savien turned and left.

Jeanne was turning a pen through her fingers in a practiced loop. The heat was turned up so high in the office that sweat was rolling down her brow. Her eyes were trained on the window, where spiderwebs of frost crawled along the glass.

Two dead in Lumiena.

Her jacket had been tossed to the opposite chair. There was a coat rack next to her door, ignored after her meeting with Vernon.

"I've never known a Bloodstone to drive someone insane."

Her blouse and vest had that two-day-old smell and wrinkle to it. The circles beneath her eyes said more. Their concentration screamed that she still wasn't done.

"Definitely had the strength for it, though."

All the wrinkles in her brow doubled. The ones at the edge of her mouth tripled.

"What are we going up against, DuPuis. What are we getting ourselves into?" murmured the detective.

She hardly heard her name through the busy precinct. Telephones rang, various cops were gossiping, the receptionist was flirting, papers flipped. It was all background noise. All up, at least, until she heard a muttered, "Wolf-fucker."

Jeanne's eyes snapped upward to land on a young intern who, Jeanne discovered, had a bit of a mouth on him. Her lips stretched to the side and gently tilted upward. "Hello, Howard. Did you have something to say?"

The intern, a bookish man still fresh from college, jumped beneath the detective's leer. "No. Yes! Um-"

"Better speak up, Howard. So that I don't misunderstand you this time," she grinned, easing out of her chair. She walked up to the intern with a slap on the back. It could be heard through the busy office. "You know how easy it is to get the wrong impression."

"... you have... you have a guest. It's your new partner..."

"Why thank you, Howard. That's great news. Have a good day."

"Have a good day..."

"Have a good day, Detective...?"

"... Bonheur. Have a good day Detective Bonheur."

Jeanne tucked her hands in her pockets with a grin. "Good boy, Howard."

"Detective Bonheur?" She asked softly as she approached timidly from the bustle of officers moving to and fro through the space. Luna, despite being sent here on the authority of the church and explicitly to work with a detective, she couldn't help feeling uneasy within this so packed a place of warriors. But they were people before officers, she reminded herself, and are no more frightful than the trained traveler. Lacking hostility, but readied for it. She breathed and left her thoughts, moving up to Jeanne confidently with her hand outstretched.

As she took her final step, she checked in with herself. She was aware, heightened, and ready to take apart these murders.

Jeanne spun around with a welcoming smile, much different from the wry expression she'd given the intern. Her hands closed around Luna's firmly, but not tightly. "Miss Catiglione, I take it? Pleased to meet you. It's been a full minute since I had a partner. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a cleric, but I have no complaints. How are you today?"

Behind the detective's back, Howard glared before turning and taking his leave.

Luna smiled as she shook her head, taking the moment to piece together an understanding of this woman. She was older and quick, for someone still actively working and not already retired. She was comfortable, but aware, a readiness she trusted in those she learned to trust. As Luna looked up into the woman's eyes, she considered her own understandings of the case so far and her sense of Lutetia City. The Monastic Order had sent her with information, not much, but enough, about this case and those she'd be working with. She felt the power within Jeanne and gained a sense of the fineness of her complexities, how sharp were her words to ones Luna could form now? She blinked for a split second and then stepped back casually, moving a strand of hair from her face, smiling, as she decided to trust in the strength in front of her.

"I agree. A Paladin and an officer is a more common concept, but I suppose there's something to the tie of our faculties that points to the point of our union." Her face gained a slightly dreamy haze to it, like a menacing thoughtfulness. Her eyes took this moment to quickly span the layout of the room, by reflex(if not a tick), piecing out not only the fire exits and windows, but also the way the fire exits and windows were distributed through the room. She started to think about whether Jeanne thought about things like this. Her partner seemed more the stand thy ground type than a runner. Suddenly, the reality of having to face something gruesome instead of just witnessing it came to her. She breathed, she processed, and she turned her full attention to the detective. "I'm doing okay today, actually. Although, I feel I'm going to have to see something painful before the day is out."

Jeanne was studying Luna just as much as the young cleric studied her. A hundred thoughts zoomed through her head: Young and inexperienced... no, hopeful. She's looking around. Cautionary? She's trained by the Church. Is she with Archard? The Paladin? There's something different about this one."

As the detective met the woman's eyes, she felt a quiet understanding pass between them. Jeanne's lips parted gently before she smiled again. "With any luck, today they'll just be photos, but I can't promise tomorrow will be the same. Right now we're going to trace the killer's steps. We need to affirm whether or not these attacks have been a werewolf rampage, and if they're not, the case is dropped, we pick up another trail. Are you ready, Miss Catiglione?"

Howard had slunk away from the office, but his lesson - like most lessons - went hard learned. He lingered by the secretary's desk, waited patiently while she finished up with another officer, filled out forms, signed over documents.

When she was done, she raised her eyebrows at him.

"Fresh juice?"

"Dog fucker's at it again," he said, leaning questing fingers over the divider between her and the other cops and snagging some candy from a dish she habitually filled. Peppermint, this time, he thought, popping it into his mouth.

She sighed, though a wicked little light came on in her eyes. "I hear she needed to use one of those lint rollers after. To keep the hair away."

"Maybe she had to pick it out of her teeth," was Howard's response, sending her into a fit of snickering. Casually, as friends did - friends, he thought to himself - he snagged her coffee cup, took a small sip.

And was almost bowled over by a man in a leather jacket, rushing towards Jeanne's offices. The contact was shoulder to shoulder, but Howard swore - and, later, would put into writing to HR - that the man threw his elbow out, too, sending the coffee cup splashing all over Howards' brand new shirt, staining his tie. Howard tried to sputter in protest, turn to face his assailant, but when he met the eyes of Vernon DuPuis - an angry DuPuis - he swallowed his blithe.

Vernon patted at his pockets agitatedly as he stepped to Jeanne's door, knocked on the glass that said DET. Bonheur in large, unassuming letters, and waited. He itched to knock again - three times was his usual - but restrained himself, running fingers through his disheveled hair.

Before she could speak, there was a knock at the door and the Cleric placed her hands together in thought. "I understand. I'm ready to get to work." She nodded to herself then folded her arms to her chest as she moved to the window. "So, is this someone coming to speak to you personally or to introduce the partnership twice introduced?" She giggled silently at her own permitted cleverness.

The Bloodhound spotted the man through the blinds of her office window. "Oh. Well, Miss Catiglione, it seems we have an important contact right outside our door. Don't bother shaking his hand. He has a cold," Jeanne said, raising her eyebrows to the cleric to stress the sarcasm in her tone. She moved forward to open the door, welcoming the other detective with a nod. "Detective DuPuis. I wasn't sure I expected you so soon. Be warned, I do have a partner that will be joining us. Here, this is Luna Catiglione. She's a cleric. Miss Catiglione, please meet Detective Vernon DuPuis. He doesn't have a fancy nickname, but I hazard to say he's a more successful detective than I."

She motioned for Vernon to come in quickly so she could shut the door.

Vernon blinked at the introduction, stood just inside the door awkwardly, then was forced to take a shaky, too-large step forwards when he realised he had to move so that Jeanne could shut the door behind them. His eyes danced over belongings in a routine that, unlike Luna's, was absolutely a tick, an uncontrollable urge.

While he scanned his surroundings, he reached his hand towards Luna, outstretched with the intent to shake.

She laughed lightly at Jeanne's sarcasm, rising to meet Vernon and shake his hand. She felt a pulse go through him and felt that he was someone that she could trust. She smiled; the lack of corruption in the eyes she worked this close to gave her a sense of strength she had lost somewhere. Luna caught herself before memories made themselves pronounced and stepped back. "I'm glad to meet you Detective Vernon DuPuis. I assume you're also a native of the city?" She smiled extra warmly to ease the nervousness he had entered the room with. Part of her did so out of a need to clear the atmosphere as deftly as possible, but there was something positive about fighting the fear in all the places it developed in this city.

Jeanne watched the exchange with an expression filled with more holes than a thin waffle. "You've been my partner for five minutes and you've already betrayed my trust, Miss Castiglione," she said with faux melancholy. "Don't blame me for any sickness come your way."

"Now, DuPuis, though I understand the manner of pleasantries, I suspect you came here with an urgent matter at hand. Care to share?"

Back