Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: The Monastery Courtyard

as written by glmstr

"Arm? What happened to Jimmy's arm?" Camille's head cocked to the side curiously, only for the moment to be interrupted when Izaic had seemed to throw a fit and kick his helmet across the courtyard. He was at least able to refrain from making any harsh remarks, but while startled from the sudden action he wasn't terribly surprised about what happened.

"Don't worry about it In, I probably could have stopped it if it came our way, maybe."

as written by Krysis

Celeste was glad to let Jimmy sit down, stretching her arm and shoulder on the side he had been leaning on. She was watching Izaic curiously while the boys sat down, walking in a slow half circle as she tried to decide if the bigger-- well, he wasn't a boy anymore. Izaic was big and old enough to be a man.

Either that style was brilliant or foolish, and she couldn't decide which. At least until he lost his temper and sent his helmet flying in the general direction of her ankles. He was probably pissed at her for watching him too closely or something, and this was revenge. Celeste had only a split second to react, and rather than trying to block the helmet entirely, she stepped mostly out of the way and let it skid under her foot so it would loose most of the momentum from the friction. After all, the heavy weight garb wasn't exactly a secret.

"Sheesh, that is a good way to break someone's leg, Izaic. Not everyone here is as fast or as sturdy as us." She complained briefly as she scooped up the helmet and walk it back to the male that had kicked it.

as written by Faithy

Jimmy was glad when Izaic went back to doing his exercise, which meant the boy would leave them alone. As much as his head and body hurt, he wasn’t in the mood for any tantrums or bullying and it pained him enough that he had gotten sloppy and hadn’t been around to make sure nothing had happened to the others. As far as older Proselyte’s went… he failed on an epic level. Shaking off those thoughts, he returned his attention towards Inarin and smiled faintly at his words, knowing exactly what the male meant.

“I know what you mean, In. No worries. I’ll mend in time.” He glanced at Camille’s inquiry, not even sure what excuse to make. His brain felt like mashed potatoes at that moment and his thought process was rather slow. About to say more, he was sidetracked by a helmet that made its way over towards the group at an alarming quick manner. He exhaled deeply, praying that Celeste wasn’t about to cause a fight to occur or something … like a screaming match. Ugh, his head hurt. Glancing back towards Inarin when Celeste walked over to Izaic with the helmet, the older male just shrugged a little.

“I don’t remember much, In. But, not sure this is the best place to talk about it?” He managed to keep from looking over at Cam, because he wasn’t sure how much had already been talked about.

as written by Emperor Jester

Izaic wouldn't say a word to Celeste, only snatching his helmet back with a snarl. "If I'd wanted to hit one of you with it, I would've you stupid-." A heavy sigh, shutting himself up and redonning his helmet, though not before glaring angrily at Inarin. Part of him wished he had struck the much smaller boy. Repeatedly. So that he'd have an excuse to talk to him, or something. His own mind confused him, and that only enraged him further.

"You're lucky. If this was the practice yard and you had approached me like that, I would've cut you down like the inferior swordswoman you are. Go back to your faggoty little pack of limp-wristed bitch-boys. Some of us like to take our training seriously."

as written by Script

Inarin winced visibly at the tirade Izaic directed towards Celeste, though not out of empathy for her. The words had hammered what felt like a tangled knot into the pit of his stomach. Embarrassment, shame and hurt all tied up in one.

In a surprisingly quick motion, he had risen to his feet, book tucked up against his chest. "I'm going to head to class, now," he said quietly, not waiting for any responses before he darted away towards the door leading into the monastery proper.

as written by glmstr

Camille tried to reach out to grab Inarin before he left, but he had already fled. His hands began to twitch, he was seething with anger.

"Are you fucking serious? If you were a serious swordsman, or really Paladin material at all, you wouldn't be treating your peers like that!" The Lacroix boy hated bullies more than anything else, and Izaic was exactly that right now.
"Maybe, next time they don't let you take the silver, you'll figure out why they don't want you representing the Monastery. You're supposed to be protecting others, not walking over them to inflate your own god-damned ego. Maybe you do it because you're insecure about something, but no matter what it is, you need to fix your attitude or go find somewhere else that accepts people like you."

as written by Krysis

"If you had dropped your sword on yourself in the practice yard, you would have been pulled to be yelled at for carelessness--" Celeste started to retort, more annoyed than upset. Then her argument was stopped by the unlikeliest of sources. She blinked at Camille with utmost surprise. It was like a terrier assaulting a pit bull. A mild mannered terrier against a foul tempered pit bull at that.

"Uh, right. I regret being nice to you already. Enjoy your solitude, but remember; No war is fought alone." The athletic girl wasn't particularly interested in the brute. The only reason she had been bothering to watch him was because she was usually practicing on her own elsewhere when Izaic was flaunting himself in the courtyard, so she have rarely gotten the chance to assess the older proselyte's skills.

Unimpressed was the generous way to put her reaction so far. At least she knew better than to turn her back on the bully as she retreated out of the easy range of his practice blade. That thing was plenty heavy enough to break bones, after all.

as written by Faithy

Jimmy exhaled deeply as the scene played itself out. After last night, he wasn’t really in the mood for anymore drama, but it seemed to constantly follow the group. His eyes closed for a minute, frowning as Inarin rushed off, saying he had to get to class. Snapping his gaze back towards Izaic, Jimmy finally put things together and realized that his newfound buddy was being bullied by others just because he was super smart and wasn’t as athletic as others. Grumbling, he was glad that Celeste and Cam were sticking up for the young male, but something told him it wasn’t enough. Not only that, he didn’t appreciate being called a faggoty little pack of limp-wristed bitch-boy.

“Hn.” Sliding to his feet and ignoring the fact that he was minus an arm and that his ribs were killing him, the twenty-year-old moved over towards the bully, smiling faintly towards Cam and Celeste.

“How about you call me that to my face, Izaic. I understand how you feel you have to accommodate for your uhh… short comings, but they’re right you know. You’re never going to get your silver. You are frankly a pathetic little boy.” He stared the male down, his eyes narrowing angrily

Izaic would assess the situation. It could potentially turn into a three versus one scenario, but the older youth was hardly concerned. An injured cripple, a midget, and a girl, and to boot, none of them had a single piece of gear on them that he could see. If they thought for a second that if this came to blows that he'd drop his equipment and fight fairly, they were stupider that they looked, which was saying a lot.

"Look at you all. You're right. Why would I ever want to get my silver if I had to spend every day with such a sorry lot as yourselves. You can't let anyone fight their own battles or defend themselves, can you?" The entire time, his gaze never flinched away from Jimmy's, a smirk beneath his visor, one of pure cockiness and cruel humor. "No wonder all the freaks in this city are walking around, not even afraid enough to hide themselves from us. Why should they? The church is taking anyone these days, it seems."

He'd lift his visor to spit at Jimmy's feet, turning his gaze to Cam. "And you don't get to talk. You're only in the order because your family happens to be rich, and every once in awhile, put out a halfway decent swordsman. If the Paladins are seriously looking for new blood this generation, and people like you all are what they want, then I might as well dedicate the rest of my school days to the Inquisitors. At least there I won't be surrounded by a herd of weaklings who use pack tactics to feel safe."

He'd lift his great sword onto his shoulders single-handedly, his smile still visible. "How can none of you realize it? A war is coming. Lycans attacking each other in the street? Bodies showing up in shredded tatters? Entire families disappearing? And you're all worried about me being nice and not sucking enough dick in the circle jerk that is your little clique? Fuck the whole lot of you."

as written by duramon

Rei waltzed out into the courtyard yawning and stretching, she spotted a few of the party goers, a feminine boy near a box of pastries and Izaic. As usual, Izaic was pushing his limits to the fullest, and the prospect made her grin, at least one of the prospects of Paladinhood met her standards. His bullying didn't bother her as it did the others, as long as it didn't interfere with her construction of the perfect Order, although she'd have to work with Inarin in order to smooth out those happenings. He bullied weaker or unworthy people, just as Rei dismissed those people from her world, Rei it seemed was just more forgiving on the physical aspects than Izaic.

The real thorn in her reaction wheel was the newcomer with the pastries, it was a pity she'd paid so little attention to her classmates in the past, an err in judgement when she had focused solely on becoming perfect herself before evaluating her compatriots. An error she was now correcting.

Sighing heavily, the Proselyte finally elected to ignore the argument and interpose her presence as a distraction. Rei was very obvious amongst the group as she strolled in and clicked her fingers, rested around the back of her neck and sitting on the top of her foot as she stopped was a scythe. It was similarly constructed as a practice weapon like Izaic's with a metal core running through it. Although her core was an alloy of much lighter metals, her first attempt at combining the order's metals that she'd been too ashamed of to show Romstone with her proposal. She was just glad she hadn't wasted any Brightglass.

She wore a band of simple iron around her mid-riff and weight bands across her body (A trick she'd picked up from Izaic). Other than that she wore a simple tank-top, her uniform top hanging around her waist and tied in a knot at her front above cargo pants, and her standard combat boots and gloves. Nobody could say Rei's stance on uniform had changed.

"Well well, what did I stumble into here? I thought we'd all be in bed with headaches." She chimed, grinning a wide wolfish grin. The Proselyte stretched her arms out behind her head and yawned again. "Izaic's right about the war, I've been out on the streets enough to tell you Lutetia's about to get hit hard, so how about everyone takes a step back before we do their work for them. Izaic's going to get his Silver any month now, whether you like it or not, and whether Izaic likes it or not Celeste's swordplay is A-grade material and worthy of the same." She interjected, glancing at Jimmy and assessing the extent of the injury she gave him. It looked like the Order healed him up just fine, which was fortunate for him.

Rei looked between the two arguers and sighed "I've got a pounding headache and I came out her to practice, can we save the Lone Wolf and Happy Family stuff for another day." She requested, yawning again and reaching into her leg to fish out a small bottle and a pill which she gratefully chugged before putting them away.

The Proselyte had no idea the others had even worried about her disappearance. Why should they? She'd chosen to go alone, and they were in far worse shape than she.

as written by glmstr

"'Because my family's rich'?" Camille sneered, "because my family produces some of the greatest swordsmen to grace this god-forsaken country! We made our money because we're the best." The proselyte's palms were nearly bleeding from how tightly his fists were clenched, and his left hand brushed against the sabre at his side, the right being inches from the accompanied parrying dagger. He wanted to draw them, but he waited. He wasn't going to bear arms unless he needed to.

"I'm sorry to break it to you, but those threats out there you listed? They will fucking eat you alive if you don't learn to work with others. We're going to be the ones out in the field when you're in trouble, and if you keep this up, a lot those possible allies sure as hell aren't going to save you when some Garou is pulling out your intestines."

as written by Krysis

Celeste was relieved to see that Rei was alive for about three seconds. Then the 'girl' opened her mouth and Celeste found herself wishing that the prosthetic mess had at least gotten expelled. It was good to see that her rival was not infallible though. Celeste almost had to laugh at someone actually trying to use a scythe as a weapon. Sure it was a favorite of unarmed peasants in the uprisings of previous centuries, but there were some serious flaws to the concept that made it unsuitable for modern warfare. Unparalleled in the 'trip' attack department, the scythe had its uses, but not as a primary weapon.

"Thank you, all of you, but I don't need anyone to defend me. Izaic is right. I shouldn't have approached him like an ally when he is clearly hostile and doesn't care if he injures the younger students just because he made a mistake and lost his temper." The dark-haired girl folded her arms, caressing the hilts of the daggers hidden in her sleeves, though she was wishing she actually had her own practice gear with her. After all, a school yard disagreement was not reason enough to actually bleed the bully, no matter how satisfying it would be.

as written by Script

"Proselytes, to attention!"

A woman's sharp shout cut across the courtyard, yelled at a volume far above the students' bickering. Standing on the walkway that led around the open area, a tall blonde woman stood with her arms folded, scowling at the arguing youths. The proselytes would no doubt immediately recognise her as Sir Estelle Dufort, paladin and Master of the monastic order.

She was clad in dress uniform, as was typical for her, not a button or thread out of place, and cut an imposing figure as she strode out into the courtyard proper. "Bickering and exchanging childish barbs is not appropriate behaviour for representatives of the church to engage in."

Her eyes fell first on the larger group, notably Celeste and Jimmy. "Ó’Suaird and Hogan, you would do well to avoid any further displays of inappropriate behaviour after your transgressions last night. I already suspect that Sir Nuvellon was not fully honest with us in providing a convenient excuse for your actions. You ought not to waste his graciousness by getting into further trouble only hours later. Do not allow yourselves to be provoked by words."

She then turned her gaze to Camille. "Lacroix, arrogance does not befit a member of the order. The circumstances of your birth are irrelevant within these walls, and you would do well to remember it. Furthermore, I would hope that when you do take the silver, you would not be so foolish as to allow petty personal disputes and feelings interfere with your duty to other members of the order. A man who would leave his fellow to die over personal dislike is a man unwelcome in the order."

Izaic was next to receive her piercing glare. "And Swigelf, I expect better from you. You allow your temper to control you, and act without discipline. It is not your place to question the qualifications of your classmates, nor the judgement of your elders. You have a great future ahead of you, whether as a paladin or as an inquisitor, and you ought not squander it by allowing yourself to lose control and spit childish insults at your peers. Such behaviour will only further delay your taking of the silver - and the Inquisition will be no more willing to an accept an applicant who displays such lack of control."

Finally, she turned to look at Rei. "Holstadt, I'd like a word with you during your lunch period. You will come to see me in my office."

Once she had said her piece to each of the proselytes involved, she cast her eyes across them all. "You would all do well to remember the ideals you strive to represent. This is not a civilian school, where petty insults and childish behaviour will be tolerated. You are the future of the Monastic Order, and the best of Lutetia. Am I understood?"

as written by Faithy

Jimmy ignored everyone’s words, his eyes on Izaic and him alone. He vaguely noticed that Rei had come back and while something told him he owed her an apology, at that moment, he wasn’t going to give it to her. Maybe if he ran into her alone without Mr. Asshole with her, he might apologize for something he couldn’t even remember. Usually his gut was right though. By the time Dufort appeared, Jim was ready to wail on the male despite being injured and at the moment out matched. He had grown sick and tired of bullies, something that stemmed from the Rave and he was tired of Inarin being picked on.

“You’re lucky, Izaic.” His voice was barely above a whisper and he shot the male a look before just bowing towards Dufort.

“Yes, ma’am.” He choked out before stiffly walking away from everyone. He didn’t head for classes nor did he move for the infirmary to continue to rest. No, Jimmy was moving for the gates. Pausing, he glanced back towards Rei.

"Sorry for last night, Rei." He left it at that and resumed going towards the gate.

Izaic would only sneer before his eyes snapped towards the Master moments before she began to speak, quickly dropping to one knee, sword before him in a traditional show of fealty. Her words would wash over him. What she said did have its merits, and it was not his place to question a superior. His eyes would slowly rise to meet her own. "As you say, Ma'am. I apologize for my rash actions and behaviors, and for being an embarrassment to the Order."

He'd rise then, and proceed to take off his helmet, which was the proper thing to do. "I swear to do better by the Order and correct these flaws, to better serve the Light." Even though he did not view these traits as flaws, he knew better than to question a Master directly. However...

"If you don't mind me asking...What incident are you referring to? If I am privy to know the goings-on of my peers?"

as written by glmstr

"He-", Camille gritted his teeth and stopped himself, "Understood, ma'am."

He remained perfectly still, his palms beginning to actually bleed. The warm liquid on his fingertips reminded him of this and he loosened his grip, the inside of his palms and fingers quickly being stained red, but the outside of his closed fist was still completely clean.

as written by duramon

Rei had just sighed when the bickering began to flare up again. Paladin's afflicted by such petty squabbles, and a threat of Izaic's death in the field as a result of these childhood arguments.

Petty was the only word that came to mind, and disgust was the emotion that filled her over the ordeal.

She stood as she had before when the master revealed themselves and began a lecture, Rei herself had done nothing other than try and defuse the situation, offering compliments and seccessions to both sides. Albeit her tact was non-existent and she hadn't done it in an agreeable manner it seemed, according to her fellows reactions. Slowly the Proselyte turned to face the lecturer and her eyes widened.

Estelle Dufort, if there was anyone in the monastery Rei aspired to they would be named in an instant. Master Dufort and Master Romstone.

For once the Proselyte snapped to attention out of her lazy turn, although she garnered the same respect. Master Dufort was a different kind of beast than Romstone. She listened to her words intently, taking in the knowledge and lectures and then allowing her own personal insights and preference to arrange them into realistic order contracts and values.

Then when it was her turn to be berated, instead she was told to meet her in her office. Which did not fill her with confidence, but rather curiousity and worry. It appeared everyone else had gotten off scott-free from the events of the evening before and this little argument, why was she being requested for an audience if not to be made an example?

None of the answers Rei could think of were relaxed moments, although one or two were definitely exciting. So the Proselyte nodded, bowed curtly and let her Scythe rest upon the ground and her shoulder.

"Yes Master Dufort." She replied, a hint of her playful chime seeping in.

Something between Expulsion and Elevation awaited her she was sure, what of the billions of values between 0 and 1 it was she could not say.

For a moment she was thrown when Jimmy apologized to her, it was brief and he left hurriedly afterwards, but an apology nonetheless. If the Proselyte remembered what he was apologizing for, it was mandatory. If he hadn't, then it was a swallowing of pride Rei could respect.

Respect she found, was hard to find mutually between her peers. This truth became more and more self-evident the deeper she delved into the social realm.

She sighed heavily again and stalked away from the group, hoping to find somewhere more quiet to practice. Even though she'd lose an asset in Izaic's sparring.

as written by Krysis

Celeste just inclined her head politely to the paladin. She felt no guilt about how she had acted and would refuse to be shamed, even by someone as renowned as Estelle Dufort. It did make her seethe inside though, to be reprimanded for holding her temper despite Izaic's deliberate attempts to rouse it.

When Estelle was more focused on Rei, Celeste turned slightly towards the male that had knelt. She was still close enough that she could keep her voice low and respond to him. "None of your business. You might want to go wash your face though. There is something brown on it."

After all, turn about was fair play, and if he swung first, she'd be justified in defending herself.

as written by Script

"It is none of your concern, Izaic," Estelle noted sternly. "And Hogan, whatever it is you're murmuring, I'm quite sure I don't want to hear it. Don't push your luck."

She cast a final eye over the remaining students. "I don't want to hear of any more bickering. Keep your personal issues personal, do not air them in a public courtyard. You represent the order in everything you do, and maintaining a composed public image that inspires confidence is vital to that. We must form a united front, regardless of any disagreements or personal grievances."

Finally, she nodded. "Good day, proselytes."

And with that, she strode away towards one of the doors back into the Monastery.

Izaic would slowly rise, returning Celeste's words of retaliation with a simple, content smile. "The Light bless you, Hogan. It is a shame you cannot embrace the Master's words such as I. But I will not judge you harshly for it. I assume it is no fault of your own." The helmet would slide back over his chiseled features, clanking the visor back down over his face.

"I must return to my practice, if the rest of you would do me the favor of excusing me. I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation any more than I already have. After all, Master Estelle is correct. My actions have shamed me, a feeling I am sure you're all familiar with as well." A low, mocking bow, turning from the crowd of fellow proselytes, making his way towards the shooting range.

Back