Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Valentine Park

(Written by Script and CaerJester)

The Present:

The smoldering proselyte stood against a wall near the impromptu coliseum where the sparring would take place. Tall and broad in his shining armor, Swigelf couldn't help but feel particularly sour. For once, he found himself not looking forward to a fight. Even stranger, he found it a waste of time and energy. Especially when one of his class mates had gone missing. After what happened in Lumenia a few months back, Izaic found himself...disgusted that the Order had not moved to act. Who cared about winning anymore when the time spent competing could cost Celeste her life.

If it hadn't been for the stern lecture Kurtrin had given him, he wasn't even sure he'd still be wasting his minutes of daylight here. But weighing more on his mind than even those depressing thoughts was the Nuvellon kid. Inarin. It'd been possible since day one, sure, but for the two of them to actually be pitted against each other...

...Izaic would make it quick. For his sake.

When the call went out for Inarin and Izaic to take their place in the ring, Inarin's heart skipped a beat. The nerves that had been welling up in him for the whole morning began to go into overdrive, and he had to force himself to take a deep breath in order to calm himself down. It was just a sparring match. Nothing would go wrong. Even in the very likely event that he lost, he'd just have a few bruises to show for it. It would be fine.

He started forwards for the ring, trying to forget the worried look on Aurelion's face when he'd heard about the matchup, and the various words of caution or concern he'd been given from Noah and some of the other proselytes. They were all just ... overprotective.

Still, it was hard not to be a little scared, seeing the much larger proselyte approaching. Despite that, Inarin managed a smile for Izaic as they both came to take their positions and wait for the referee's go-ahead.

After a moment's hesitation, he spoke up quietly. "D-don't go easy on me, or anything. I don't th-think you would, but just in case."

Izaic heard the fair share of boos amongst the applause he recieved when his name was called. Though some thought him dim, he'd have to be truly blind if he'd let the rumors and the whispers about his previous competitions go unnoticed. The Iverian was...unfortunate, but for now, those memories had to be pushed out of his mind. Strolling across the sparring grounds, he'd come to a stop before placing one plated hand over the hilt of his zwei.

It was hard not to smile back, all things considered. Izaic had high hopes. Inarin had seemed serious about his training, and this would be the first real test for his peer. Still. Now was not the time for banter. Face stoic and grim, the much larger of the two young men would allow himself to reply with "Good. Then I'll forget I ever had the idea."

A shout of "BEGIN!" From his right, the referee's signal for the round to commence.

Curly hair flying wildly, Izaic would dash forward toward's Inarin, drawing the two-handed blade in the process. The first attack of the duel would be a wickedly fast, vertical strike, aimed for either the left shoulder or the head. Swigelf meant to end this in one blow.

It almost happened, but the time it took Izaic to draw his weapon was sufficient for the smaller boy to dart aside to the right, drawing his own sword in the process. He'd lowered his helmet's visor into place just before the referee's call. He spared only a moment to readjust his footing, then went in for a thrust towards Izaic's side. He was careful not to over-commit, knowing that underestimating the larger boy's recovery time from even as heavy a swing as that could prove disastrous.

His heart was beating fast, but he determinedly kept his head. He knew that overthinking was one of his weaknesses in a fight, but losing himself to panicked instinct would be just as bad.

Green eyes would flare wide and he'd spin on his heels, wrapping his second hand around the first. Inarin was right to worry about Izaic's turning speed. With a double grip, he'd drag the sparring sword across the ground. He'd only hope his minor spin would throw off Inarin's aim, at worst scoring the proselyte foe before him a glancing blow, but this was a risk he was willing to take for his counter attack.

While Nuvellon was mid-way throuh his lunge, the blade that Izaic had been dragging behind him would be swung upward, a second vertical slash coming up from below. Izaic sought to overwhelm Inarin with an onslaught.

The abrupt swing was quick enough to force Inarin to abandon his thrust, instead bringing the flat of his blade to bear in order to just barely deflect the forceful upward slash. He was forced back a step, and his sword went wide from the force, but he just about avoided being struck.

He needed to find an opening to go on the offensive, but already Izaic had him squarely on the back foot. At this rate, he wouldn't even get a chance to take a proper swing.

First a dodge, and then a deflection. Granted, Inarin's attempt had been a success but it was hardly a proper or proficient block. Still, Izaic found himself grinning ear to ear. He could already tell how much the Nuvellon had improved, and the thought filled him with momentary hope and pride. The admiration would have to wait however.

The offense would continue with the older proselyte's footwork sliding him once again forward. The older proselyte found himself hoping that his younger peer might see through the coming deception. The worst thing Inarin could do against the oncoming horizontal swipe aimed at his mid section, aside from taking the attack head on of course, was to roll away from it. More backpedaling would only give strengthen the rhythm Izaic was developing as the fight drew on.

The aforementioned slash was released, seeking out Inarin's ribs as it came whistling through the air with alarming levels of both speed and force.

He'd only a moment to react. For the barest instant his mind started to try and figure out the best path to take - to try and catch the swing with his own sword, or dodge away? But for once, he let instinct override it. Using his smaller size to his advantage, Inarin didn't roll, or backpedal, but ducked, dropping into a half crouch and folding himself down to allow the swing to pass a hair's breadth away from the top of his helmet.

The moment the weapon was clear, he was rising up again, swinging his own sword in an upward slash and giving a small cry of exertion. It would be far from a decisive blow even if it connected, likely to score across the larger proselyte's chestplate, but it would hopefully gain him some space and an opportunity to act, rather than simply react.

A grimace flashed across Izaic's features, a muscle extending too far in his injured shoulder, and he felt his balance slip despite himself. The blow that should have landed on his chest plate instead connected with underside of his upper arm. His left upper arm. The grimace became a bark of pain, agony seasoned with simmering rage.

A gauntlet covered right fist would unleash its grip upon the two handed sword, the slightly numb left barely being about to keep to blade steady. Now it was Izaic who needed space. His now free hand would form into a fist, a veritable ball of steel, a backhanded strike aimed at the side of Inarin's head.

Even if this landed, the Nuvellon had scored the first hit of the melee. He wasn't hopeless after all. Maybe not on the outside, but inside, Izaic smiled, his rage subsiding. There was a chance Inarin might be able to keep himself safe.

Inarin tried to pull his head back, but the blow glanced across his faceplate and caused him to stumble to the side. It was painful, but he forced himself to regain his footing and turn back to face Izaic before the taller boy could take too much advantage of the hit, keeping his sword ready to face his next move.

The next move was already coming. A quick but less than powerful thrust, once again trying to force distance. Izaic needed room to swing his blade properly, and he needed Inarin on the defensive. Still, to see him bounce back up like that after taking one of his punches to the face. More and more impressive.

Just barely bringing his blade across in time, Inarin deflected the thrust to the side, causing it to score lightly across the armour on his upper arm. In an attempt to regain some momentum, the smaller proselyte drew his weapon forwards, skimming it off of Izaic's sword in a horizontal swing for his midsection. It was hardly elegant, but he had to use every opportunity he had to stay within the larger weapon's most effective reach, or the match would be as good as over.

With a twist of his wrist, Izaic would bring the length of his zwei sideways against Inarin's counter, and then down, using a fair bit of his might. Once the blades were locked, and more or less pointed downward, the elder of the dueling pair would rip both arms upward, once again putting a fair bit of strain on his bad shoulder. With all his strength, Izaic would try and rip the sword from the Nuvellon's hands and fling it far across the arena.

Inarin clung to the blade as best he could, but Izaic's strength was superior. The sword was wrenched out of his grip and tossed aside, leaving him defenseless. But where the Inarin of a month ago might have backed off and held his hands up in surrender, Inarin now wasn't ready to give up. Before Izaic could bring his sword back down, he'd darted forwards and to the side, aiming to slip past the taller boy and make a dash for his weapon.

The Nuvellon was slippery, and determined. Two very good traits to have. Izaic would get a jubilant shout...before lashing out to the side with a metal-plated knee, just as the much smaller boy was passing by.

Oof.

The impact took Inarin in the stomach, and though his armour did a good job of softening the blow, he was still winded and knocked to the ground. He managed to plant his hands on the ground to catch himself before going fully prone, but was stunned for a crucial moment.

Izaic felt a rush inside his chest, the kind that came only from victory. With a roar, he brought his blade over his head and down, its long edge aimed squarely where the helpless Inarin's neck met his shoulders. It was a wicked slash, a killing blow, and even with a blunted sparring weapon...the damage would be serious. And Izaic had a record for going overboard.

Which is why he stopped the attack, more than an inch but not quite two, above his fellow proselytes prone form. Then, he'd lightly tap his blade against Inarin's armor. "Do you yield?"

There had been a sudden and brief crescendo of gasps and yells from the crowd as Izaic swung, and Inarin had screwed his eyes shut in fearful anticipation. But when the expected blow never came, he tentatively opened them again, peering out from behind his visor. "I- I do," he managed to stammer, breathing a sigh of relief.

The referee called out, announcing the victor, and Inarin let himself sprawl backwards, flipping his visor up to let some air in. The exertion of the spar was finally catching up as the adrenaline began to fade away, but far from being downcast, the smaller proselyte was grinning. And then laughing, happily, without reservation.

"I was actually doing well there, for a moment," he remarked breathily from the ground, to nobody in particular - though Izaic was the only one in earshot. There was no stammering, no nervousness. Just delight.

Izaic knelt, planting his blade into the dirt a fair bit as he did. "You did very well, shrimp. You even scored first on me. I'm glad to see those training weights I gave you are working out." He'd then hold a hand out to Inarin, an offer to help him up. "Now come on. The citizens shouldn't see future paladins napping in the dirt."

Still beaming, Inarin nodded, taking Izaic's hand and pulling himself to his feet. Future paladin. Izaic probably didn't realise how much the casual comment had swelled his smaller classmate's heart, but it was all the more meaningful for its offhandedness. "Thanks," he said, giving another happy sigh. "I couldn't have done it without you, you know. I'd give you a hug if I didn't think it would embarrass you." Inarin laughed again, glancing around at the cheering crowd. He somehow felt more proud of this loss than of his victory earlier in the week.

"...Maybe some other time. When I get used to general affection more." Izaic was glad he was out of breath and sweating. It hid the blush rather well. "I'm going back to the dorms for now. Get out of this armor, and get my arm back in its sling. You better go check in with your friends." He'd point out into the stands, right at the twins from earlier this week. "They've been starring daggers at me this whole match. Understandably, of course."

Then, Izaic would pick up his blade, and move towards the far exit. Once again, putting up distance, but for this time, having a genuine medical excuse.

"I'll see you later, then!" Inarin called after him as he went. He remained on the spot for a few moments more before gathering himself, and leaving the ring - stopping to retrieve his sword on the way. Though he flashed a smile at the twins on the way out, he picked out his brother near the front of the standing crowd, and made a beeline for him instead.

Jimmy remained away from everyone else, the male highly paranoid that they would realize something was different about him. He ignored the whispers coming from the crown nearby, knowing that they all expected him to wolf out at any moment, or at least those that knew what happened, were expecting that. The rest were just feeding into the paranoia, especially because of everything that had been happening lately. Did he blame them? No, not really despite how terrible it made him feel. Sighing, he ran his fingers through his hair and just glanced over towards the ring, watching Inarin and Izaic battling it out. He feared that the larger Proselyte would end up hurting In, perhaps not on purpose, but he was a huge hothead, so when the crushing blow didn't happen, he relaxed his shoulders, letting the tension rush out of the. Did he wish he could fight and compete like the others? Yes, but that didn't matter anymore. Life was completely different and his farewell notes were just about complete as was his packing. So much for getting the silver. There were other things that mattered more and he would fight to keep his friends safe even if they weren't friends anymore. "Good job, Inarin! You too, Izaic." Jimmy called out from where he was standing, giving them both a thumbs up. He truly was proud of how well In did and hoped that it would be enough to keep him alive, though, he ultimately knew better.

"Ugh, he should be locked away. He's nothing but a disgusting beast now." A voice spoke up from behind Jimmy and he fought to ignore it, though he did wonder why the Paladins hadn't locked him up, since in truth, it was just about time to determine if he was going to become a werewolf or not.

But Jimmy wasn't alone for long.

"Jim! Jimmy!"

Aaro Caresin bustled through the crowds, his face alight with joy and laughter. He practically barreled into Ó’Suaird, throwing his arms around him and doing his damnedest to crush him in an embrace.

"Wick and Wyrm Jim, where the hell have you been?" he separated, shaking his friend by the shoulders. "I've missed the hell out of you! I asked all over the Monastery, but no one would tell me where you'd gone off to!"

He was in his proselyte uniform, the buttons slightly undone and showing the undershirt beneath. His sandy blonde hair was a horrendous mess, as usual. His laughter was real, his smile genuine. Aaro had missed his friend.

Jimmy's gaze shifted around as he heard Aaro shouting his name, surprise evident in his gaze. He hadn't been attending classes and when he wasn't away from the Monastery, he was locked in his room. Even his roommate had bailed on him, which was fine with the Proselyte. Heh, Proselyte. That didn't even fit him anymore and he knew it. Shaking his head, the male attempted to clear his mind, keeping up the glamour to ensure that his fangs remained hidden from view. Jim grunted when he was almost tackled to the ground, shaking his head with an amused grin at the energetic embrace. He didn't expect this at all and was a little unsure how to react, but was truly happy that he had been missed and that Aaro still saw him as a friend. Once he was released, Jimmy ran his fingers through his hair, shoving the strands out of his eyes. "Yeah, sorry about that man, I've been really sick since being bitten by my father and haven't felt up to attending classes. I really haven't been around here either, but decided to come out and get fresh air today. I've missed you too and am sorry if I worried you. I just didn't want to be near anyone after my father's murder." Jimmy said murder because that was how he saw it regardless of how wild his father was thanks to the shifting.

"Don't even worry about it," Aaro assured his friend, "I'm just glad you're alright. Things aren't quite the same without you walking around the halls, staring off into space. But hey - take as much time as you need." He grinned. "Gives me better chances flirting with the girls, in the meantime."

A flash of concern spread over Aaro's face. Not at the Monastery, but not 'around here' either. "Jim, where have you been staying? You must be living with someone right now. Your family?"

"Hah! You definitely need the practice!" Jimmy grinned, laughing lightly. It felt good to laugh. His shoulders relaxed as the tension slipped out of them, though he never completely relaxed. No, couldn't afford to get too comfortable, not even with Aaro. He couldn't chance letting anything slip, especially with everything that had been going on lately. The less Aaro knew, the better, at least for now. He shifted a little, the tension creeping back in when questioned about his current living arrangements.

"I don't have any family to live with, Aaro. My father was the last family member that I know about. I've been in my room most of the time and when I'm not... I ... just walk around alone. I don't go out after night alone... so no need to worry." Jimmy hoped Aaro didn't push too much, because he hadn't spoken with Arien about situations like this.

Aaro's look of concern intensified as Jimmy explained how he'd been spending his days. Being cooped up in his room all alone didn't sound fun at all... but wandering the city? Even not traveling at night, that was potentially dangerous outside of Lemeux or Vargeras.

Suddenly, he got an idea. "Jim, why don't you bunk with me at night?" The proselyte nodded. "I haven't had a roommate since Danse took the silver last month. You'd be doing me a favor. I've been going crazy or having anyone to talk to after eight bell. Seriously, I'd love to have you around." He grinned. "If you can put up with me, that is."

"Jimmy!" Another voice called out to the proselyte, as Inarin spotted the pair of them. He ran over from where he'd been speaking to Aurelion, still a little red-faced from his spar and smiling brightly. "Hey! How've you been? I haven't seen you since last week..." He paused, glancing down at himself."I would hug you, but I'm sweaty and mostly metal right now," he added with a giggle. "Oh, and hi to you too, Aaro!"

It was obvious the younger proselyte was in very high spirits despite his loss, his helm tucked under his arm. He glanced back at the ring, where the second spar - between Thea and a self-proclaimed hunter named Alexandra Duval - was being prepared. "I wonder if I have time to run back to the monastery and shower before Cam's match..."

Jimmy wasn't expecting the offer to bunk with Aaro and he honestly wished this offer had come before other things happened, but it didn't. Exhaling deeply, he shook his head, knowing that even if he wanted to stay with Aaro, he wasn't going to be allowed at the Monastery much longer. He was actually surprised they hadn't kicked him out yet, which was another reason he was sticking to his room so much, though in truth, Arien could probably get him a place, so it was a moot point, but he liked being close to his friends, because it was easier to keep an eye on them.

"As much as I'd like that and believe me, I would since my own roommate moved to a different room, I have a feeling my time here is about done with. The monastery is probably about to boot me out through the gate without a wave." Jimmy was about to say more, but was sidetracked by Inarin's voice breaking through the crowd. Glancing over, he grinned and wrinkled his nose, pretending to be grossed out by the smell.

"Ew, I wondered what that smell was. You did a great job, In and it's good to see you too. I've been managing, so no need to worry and yeah, I'd rather not hug you when you're all smelly. Maybe once you come back from showering." Jimmy grinned again, truly thankful for his friends at this time.

Aaro frowned as Jimmy elaborated, unsure how to respond. Why was the institution that had raised him, fed him and educated him about to send one of his best friends (essentially a member of his family) packing onto the street? It was a strange and unsettling concept: the Monastery as an unbenevolent force. Aaro had only known it as the contrary.

"We don't know if-" he looked at Inarin as he approached, "Oh, hey In." Back to Jimmy. "We don't-" Full stop. He swiveled back to Inarin. "Inarin!" Aaro flung himself at the battle-weary proselyte, enwrapping him in a crushing hug. "Hot damn! Did you hear me from the stands? You did fantastic!" He stepped back, smiling with glee. "Did you see his face when you scored the first hit? Light, I've never seen Izaic look so surprised!" His brows knit, his smile sloping into a mischievous grin. "I see now that you've been holding back on me in training. None of that from now on, understand? I want my ass handed to me every morning. It'll be my daily cup of coffee."

Inarin snickered, sticking his tongue out at Jimmy's comments on his smell, before squeaking and almost toppling over from Aaro's unexpected hug. He blushed slightly at the compliments, laughing and rubbing at the back of his head bashfully. "I haven't ... I haven't been holding back," he protested. "Just ... I've been doing a lot of uh, extra training. Out of class. Since .. a while back." Since his parents had died, but Inarin decided not to lower the mood by bringing that up. His own smile faded only briefly at the thought, before he forced it away. "I'm still not sure I could quite... ah, kick your ass, Aaro..."

He paused, glancing back at Jimmy with a look of concern. He'd caught the tail end of what Jimmy had been saying, but didn't want to sound like he'd been eavesdropping by asking directly about it. "So what were you guys talking about..?"

Jimmy exhaled deeply, thankful for Inarin's timing. The less the focus was on him, the better off things would be, at least in his mind. Did he know for sure that the monastery was booting him out? No, but he was mighty sure they were going to, especially since they removed him from competing. He was also having issues with the fact that his father was cut down without a chance to defend himself or maybe turn back into his human form. Hell, there were plenty of wolves that were able to control the transformation, maybe he just needed more time? Frowning, he shook his head, trying to clear his mind as he tuned back into the conversation at hand, really wanting to see Inarin kick Aaro's ass. "It'd be an amusing show even if you didn't kick his ass, In. We could get a few girls to stalk by and sidetrack him, though I suppose that wouldn't be very fair." Jimmy grinned, knowing a few that would willingly be a distraction, though they would definitely want something in return. He grin dimmed when asked what they had been talking about by Inarin and he wondered if he or others had overheard snippets of their conversation since they were not really off to the side or anything.

"Aaro needs a roommate and asked me to move in with it. My roommate moved out a while back and I told him while I'd be happy to, I don't think I'll be welcome here much longer, especially since I've not been attending class or training and was forbidden to compete." Jimmy shrugged, desperately trying to make it seem like he really didn't care, but in truth, he had gotten close to the others and considered them to be his family. He hated the thought of losing family again.

"Of course you're still welcome, Jimmy," Aaro replied, "we grew up with you. You're family. The Order is a family." He nodded, looking to Inarin for support. "Nothing in the world is going to change that - not werewolves, not that Malcolm dude, nothing." He sounded resolute, but a slight concern still tugged at the edges of his confidence. The Order was a family , yes... so why was there talk of expelling Jimmy for something beyond his control? Why was it even being considered?

The proselyte frowned. All this talk of loss and change... it bothered him. That stuff was for paladins, not students. The world was supposed to stay the same, so long as they didn't take the silver. So long as they didn't grow up.

"Yeah..." Inarin nodded in agreement with Aaro. "I mean, if you were going to turn, you'd have been showing way more signs by now! So that's actually good news, since it probably means you got lucky!" The younger proselyte smiled hopefully. "They won't kick you out if you don't get turned, so everything'll be fine, and you don't have to worry!"

It was a simplistic interpretation, of course. There were plenty more things to worry about, and if he thought about it, he could hardly blame Jimmy for not wanting anything to do with the order that had shot his father dead, no matter the reasons. But still... who else did he have? "And Aaro's right. We... we're family, right?"

That was why he'd come back so soon after losing his parents. Aunt Florianne was great, but it was the Order that he'd grown up with. His classmates, even some of the tutors, they were all like family. Perhaps more so than his actual family had been.

"I was more referring to the Order itself kicking me out and making me not welcome, not you guys. I have to say that I've felt very comfortable and welcome with you two and am thankful for you friendships, even if I am booted out on my butt. As for not showing any signs, that is a good thing and hopefully it means I will not turn into a furry beast, not that they're bad, mind you. I just fear going insane like my father. I really don't have anything aainst werewolves or even Vampire except dickish ones." Jimmy realized he was rambling and rubbed the back of his head, grinning sheepishly.

"Yeah, In, we're family. I'll see if they'll let me move in with you, Aaro. I mean, it wont hurt to ask, hm?" Jimmy smiled before ruffling both Aaro and Inarin's hair, truly happy to be their friend.

The 'Order' was kicking Jimmy out... but weren't /they/ the Order? Aaron and Inarin were every bit a part of the Monastery as any paladin or cleric.

"I'll talk to Grunxa," Aaro pushed on, "I think she's the one overseeing the academy after Fernand went on an Errant. Wait. Is it Dufort who's managing the academy?" He rolled his eyes. "Wish they'd just pick someone and keep it that way instead of just trading off with whoever has the time."

He checked his watch - a dingy little piece of silver and glass. "Come on, we've got some time before Camille's match. Let's get some food and then find a seat." He looked at Inarin. "Welcome to sit with us, In. Shower or no." He grinned. "I think we've all smelled each other at our worse at one point or another in gym or combat sim."

"I think I'm going to run back to the dorms and clean up," Inarin smiled, looking down at himself. "And get out of this armour, too. But, uh, thanks. I'll catch up with you guys in a bit!"

With that, the younger proselyte turned and started on his way back towards the Monastery.

"Aaro, you don't need to talk to anyone. I'll put in the request to transfer into your room and just go from there, okay? Let's not rock the boat... maybe they even forgot about me." Jimmy shrugged a little, knowing that he needed to talk to Arien to see if it was even a good idea to remain at the Monastery all things considering. Then again, if he stayed, he could keep an eye on them and try to keep things from happening to them, if that was even possible. Would he die to save In or Aaro? Yes, but the more important question plaguing him recently was if he died, would it actually save them. Shaking his head, trying to clear his mind, he caught the end of what Inarin said and nodded a little.

"Alright, see you soon, Inarin! We'll save you a spot." Jimmy waved towards In before glancing towards Aaro. "Shall we go find some grub and then locate a seat?"

(Written by Script and glmstr)

The day's sparring continued without much in the way of upset. Camille's rapier-work earned him a victory against fellow proselyte Leonard Sauvage, whilst Thea took victory over the last remaining none-proselyte participant, a self-proclaimed monster hunter by the name of Alexandra Duval.

Izaic went on to take victory in the second round of the day, defeating Thea (with only a moderate level of bruising to remember it by) and claiming his spot in the final round. All that remained was to determine his opponent for the final day.

In the interest of fairness the final sparring match was delayed till later in the afternoon in order to give time for Camille to recover fully from his previous match, as his opponent, the animancer Noah Lévêque, had yet to fight today due to Celeste's absence.

When it came time for the two to spar, the crowd had thinned slightly, but remained plentiful. The festival-goers were excited to see who the other finalist would be, and to see the tournament's wildcard in action once more. The young man in question was stood waiting at the side of the ring, when they were called, once more armoured in only padding and a single gauntlet, worn over the white uniform of his order.

Noah stepped forwards, drawing his blade free of its scabbard and taking his position without ceremony. Already in the arena stood Camille, clad in the brilliant and colorful armor from the previous rounds, drawing a saber and handing the decorative sheath to an attendant. While his attire was drastically more eye-catching and flamboyant than his competitor, the Lacroix refrained from acting otherwise dramatic.

Inclining his head to his opponent, Noah smiled and offered him a hand. "Congratulations on your success in the festival so far, Camille," he said. "I hope you'll continue to impress me here."

"Thank you," Camille returned the gesture and shook his hand, "I'd count on that."

As the two stepped back and readied themselves, the referee raised his hand. There was a moment's pause, and then the starting call went out. "Begin!"

Possessing the weapon with superior reach - albeit by a narrow margin - Noah sought to go on the offensive first. He stepped into a thrust of his blade, aimed towards a gap in the proselyte's plate at his side, a quick strike to test Camille's guard. Lacroix took a small step- matching the distance of Noah's step- backwards, while his blade switched from being outside his, to inside. Then with a simple movement of the wrist, he caught and deflected Noah's weapon down and outwards. He didn't advance and try to counterattack, as doing so against such a skilled opponent would likely lead to disaster. He would need a better opening.

The Warden stayed on the offensive, recovering his stance quickly and pushing forwards again, directing a heavier two-handed slash toward Camille's lightly protected left flank. The proselyte gripped his saber with two hands and ducked most of the way under Noah's slash, using his own blade to redirect the Warden's just enough upwards that it didn't collide with him. Another brief space created, but this time Lacroix elected to push his opportunity with a quick horizontal slash towards Noah's stomach.

The slash brushed past less than a centimetre from its mark, as Noah jumped back a step to avoid it. Even as he was landing, he was bringing his sword around in a one-handed downward backswing towards Camille's collar bone. There was no denying the proselyte's quick reflexes and natural talent with the blade - he could sense Aurore's approval in the back of his mind - and he was glad not to have underestimated him. Lacroix also moved to retreat, trying to roll backwards to avoid his strike. He was only mostly successful, as he definitely felt the weapon strike against the back of his cuirass, but the proselyte would have to just hope that the judges wouldn't rule it as lethal or incapacitating.

Another step forwards, and Noah moved to thrust his weapon forwards again, this time extending his reach fully, aiming to have the blade at Camille's throat as he rose from his roll, but holding the thrust back at the last moment to avoid actually harming the boy. The proselyte rose to one knee, though he was greeted with pointed steel mere inches from his throat. A fatal error on his part, and even escaping from it would leave him on the back foot again. Instead, Lacroix let go of his weapon and raised his open palm, "I concede."

Noah pulled back his sword at that, and nodded. He offered his free hand to the proselyte to help him to his feet, as the referee announced the match's results loudly to the crowd. "Well fought," he said, smiling.

There was cheering and applause from the stands, but perhaps less than there might have been had the increasingly popular Lacroix prodigy taken the victory. There was no denying that it was a church-favouring crowd, after all.

Camille took the warden's hand and rose to his feet. "Thanks, I guess I'll just have to try to hold on to third." It proved disappointing that Lacroix wasn't even allowed to compete against Izaic, though his performance in the fencing tournament alone would have to do. To at least somewhat appease the possibly disappointed crowd, he turned towards the stands and offered a smile as he exited the ring.

Offering a final nod to Camille, Noah joined him in exiting the ring, marking an end to the day's tournaments.

Another day passed at the Aurellae, though one that drew less in the way of crowds as the previous. The javelin and horse riding events went off without a hitch, although there was some hubbub and gossip about what had happened the previous evening that prompted many of the paladins at the festival to make a hasty departure. Some speculated about open warfare between the werewolf packs, and others suggested anything from an attack on the Cathedral (after all, hadn't there been some strange foreigner preaching there just last week?) to a plague of zombies from the catacombs (why, just last night, there'd been a terrifying chorus of screams coming from beneath the streets of Vargeras!), but only a few dared to guess at the truth. There were signs, they said. The markings on that poor proselyte from a month back, in Lumiena Square. The massacre of the Nuvellons. The disappearances all across the city. There were rumours - how could there not be?

But they were just that, weren't they? Just rumours.

In the dead of night, a lone figure slipped onto the festival grounds, silent as a mouse. They made stops in a few places: the ferris wheel, the tournament stands, the main food court and the prayer tent, weaving carefully around patrols and staying out of sight. In each of those places, they left a few small objects behind, well hidden in the shadows and taped to the undersides of seats or stalls.

With that done, they departed the park just as silently as they had arrived.

And so, the final day of the Aurellae arrived. The conclusion of the festival, and the true beginning of winter. Fittingly, there was a light snowfall on the morrow, and as dawn broke over the park it cast its light upon a fine dusting of white decorating the grass and the trees. The sky was grey with a veil of clouds, but the mood at the festival was not to be soured by it. Excitement abounded for the conclusions of the two most popular tournaments: the fencing and the sparring. The crowds were beginning to gather for the sparring tournament's final bout, which would be held first, at eleven o'clock.

Inarin had made his way over from the Monastery with Luca, Aaro and Camille after his conversation with Izaic earlier that morning, and was sat with them in the stands waiting for the sparring to begin. The young proselyte wore his new sword strapped to his back. "I th-think Izaic will win," he was saying. "Noah is really good, but... Izaic has had longer to train, and has the strength and reach advantage... I just hope Noah actually wears armour today..." He grimaced at the thought of the warden being struck by one of Izaic's swings without any proper protection. Even with a sparring blade, that wouldn't be pleasant.

"I had heard that he was injured somehow," Luca said, frowning. "My roommate saw him in the Monastery infirmary on Monday morning, when he went to see the nurses about food poisoning from some festival food. Perhaps he's recovered enough to spar, but if not... What do you suppose they will do?"

Not far off, another group were just arriving on the scene. Alveré and Valeré, along with Arien, Jimmy and Elisa, cut an easy path through the crowd. "Sorry to hear that you struck out last night," Elisa was saying, flashing a taunting grin at Val, who rolled his eyes at her with a sigh.

"Please, just because you don't understand the concept of boundar-" he started to say, only to be interrupted by Elisa breaking out into uproarious laughter.

"Oh, Eleu!" She exclaimed between giggles. "Have mercy! Is one of the Castellane twins really lecturing me on boundaries?"

Val gave an annoyed huff and scowled, but Al was the one who spoke up in his defense. "We're intimately familiar with boundaries, actually," he retorted them. "And as such we cross them only as and when we deem it suitable. But I wouldn't expect you to understand such a subtle distinction, Elisa. You're about as subtle as your makeup is."

"Ooh, catty," Arien remarked with a grin. "But please, let's not wage verbal warfare over such silly things. I don't think there's any doubt that Val could've seduced dear Inarin by now if he put his mind to it," the vampire nudged Val slightly as he spoke. "But such a delicate flower requires delicate treatment, right?"

"I don't even see why this is such a hot topic of conversation..." Val muttered, running a hand through his hair with a sigh, as they wove through the crowd in the direction of the stands.

"More paladins than usual today," remarked a dark-haired woman walking through the crowd a few paces behind the Castellane's party. "Think they're worried about something."

"You ought pay more attention to your local history, Tara," replied a well-dressed man who was already perched on the edge of the stands, placing one hand on his earpiece. "It's the anniversary of the day Nito Caeruleum revealed himself to the public at large. If I were our Caer, I know I'd want to make a statement today."

"Well, I'm not picking up anything weird on my end. You?"

"Nothing. I'm almost disappointed."

"The day's yet young, Adam," came a third voice, this one belonging to a losenyu man walking ahead of the group. "We can still hope for a change of pace."

"Is bad to hope for danger. Day of boredom is good, easy day. Money for see festival only." The fourth and final figure to speak into the closed comms network was a bulky and muscular figure, hanging back close to Tara.

"You're far too practical, Yuri," muttered the Losenyu man. "I can't take another day of this boredom."

"Then you leave, we find replace. Scrawny Jirou easy to find better for." Yuri answered.

"Enough chatter, folks," Adam cut in. "We'll draw attention if we're wandering around talking to ourselves, not to mention distracting each other. Eyes on the prize, lady and gents."

There was a general muttering of agreement, and after that, the comms channel fell largely silent.

Closer to the sparring ring itself, Aurelion was stood waiting with his arms folded as the clock ticked closer to the match's start. A scowl was fixed on his face, despite the cheery atmosphere, although after he made eye contact with a young girl who stared at him wide-eyed as though his simmering frustration had been directed at her, he did his best to wipe it clear. He ought not look so dour in the public eye, lest they suspect more than they already did how bad the situation was.

"Looking forward to showing our favourite brute what a proper paladin fights like in your show match, Leon, or is that painfully forced smile just for the cameras?" Aurelion turned at the familiar voice to see Peregrine approaching with a smile upon his face, and nodded his head in greeting to the other paladin. Perrin had, to his knowledge, largely recovered from his ordeal in the sewers the previous week, although his fair features were still somewhat marred by the burns he'd received in the scuffle.

"Morning, Perrin." He said, trying to adjust his smile somewhat to make it more genuine.

"Now you just look like someone's stood on your pinky," Perrin grinned, patting him on the back. "Come on. Cheer up. You finally get to let out all that pent up irritation on the ass who's been hassling In for the last however many years! Just last week you were commenting on how you wanted Noah to give him a few smacks from you, and now you get to do it yourself!"

Aurelion sighed. "I appreciate the effort, Perrin. But I don't think some petty-minded vindication is going to be enough to distract me from how much time we're wasting, and how much we're risking, by stubbornly insisting that we still do today's festival after what happened on Sunday. Besides," he glanced across at the stands, where Inarin was sat with his friends. "I think the two of them have reconciled their differences... which is a better outcome than petty vengeance, I suppose."

"I suppose," Perrin shrugged, seeming unconvinced. "Somebody owes Izaic a good slapping, at least. Maybe if they hit hard enough he'll suffer enough brain trauma to develop a sense of humour."

"I am ... not sure that's how that works, Perrin."

"I can dream!" The younger paladin snorted with laughter. "Either way, try not to think too much on what happened, will you? Half the monastery's here today. Even he won't try anything when up against those odds. The worst thing we'll have to deal with today is the crowd's disappointment when it's announced the tournament's going to end with a show match instead of an actual victor."

Aurelion shook his head, sighing. "I hope you're right. I really do."

Back