Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Valentine Park

"This isn't one of your brother's novels, Al," Camille grinned wide as the twin continued to hit on him. "Takes a little more than just one spar to win my heart. It takes grace, wit sharper than a tack, dashing good looks!" Lacroix tossed his arms about in a dramatic display, shoving Al backwards then catching him by the small of his back, as if ballroom dancing. "Whether or not you'd qualify, that remains to be seen."

Leandre watched Kurtrin's attempt to contain himself, and started towards his superior when the Golden had turned away. The promise of answers attracted the Fortress, perhaps he would be better briefed on what had all of Lutetia on the edge of its seat. He was but a boy when Nito's brood had nearly destroyed the city, this time he was ready, ready to be the first line of defense against such a threat.

He rolled his shoulder and followed, another pair of heavy footsteps to the growing amount.

Not far from them, a familiar figure cloaked in black leaned against a tree. Savien would have recognized her immediately, even if nobody else did. The stranger felt it necessary to at least check on the paladin, as he had left the hospital so early.

"Flirting obscenely? Yeah, I could go along with that." Jimmy muttered and grinned at Arien's back before following along behind him, taking note of the younger Proselyte girl, Mia, he believed. She was alone, which was surprising, but he had too much on his plate to dwell to long on that. Stepping through the crowd, he sat down by the others, stretching out his body, feeling pretty good all things considering. He knew the upcoming tournaments were going to be good and he couldn't wait to see who ended up winning the whole thing. In truth, he didn't really care who, but it would be a light in the darkness. He winked at Elisa before settling down in a more comfortable position just as Mia shyly waved at him, her gaze shifting up towards the female that had introduced herself. She recognized the last name, but really had no opinion.

"Hi, I'm Mia Marquis. It's nice to meet you Elisabeth."

Madison wasn't initially keen on coming to the festival today, but because she was more or less alone at the monastery she felt the need to get out. She needed a distraction to keep her mind off of her brother Morden who had just been caught and arrested after being on the run for months. She was sitting to the sidelines and keeping to herself as she watched everyone else enjoy the festival...well most everyone. She noticed that the many paladins in the park were extremely tense. She didn't want to know why. She continued to sit with a book on her lap and a bag at her side while the festivities continued in front of her. She looked very festive what with her colorful dress and flowers in her hair, but she just wasn't feeling it.

Last edited:
Al blinked in surprise as Camille deftly took the upper hand from him, but was thrown off only for a moment, flashing the smaller boy a grin. "You insult me, Sir Lacroix," he noted with a tut. "That description fits me to a tee, and then some."

They were interrupted, then, by a sharp wolf-whistle from somewhere down at the base of the stands. When Al turned to find the source of it, there seemed not to be anyone paying them particular mind. There was, however, a familiar paladin... who was trying a little too hard to look nonchalant, his arms folded behind his back and his gaze turned away towards the crowd.

In the meantime, Elisa smiled to Mia, nodding to her. "Likewise," she answered, then idly allowed her gaze to trace up and down Mia's form. "It's good to know that it's not just the church boys that are brimming with good looks this generation," she remarked with a grin.

Inarin's attention was drawn away by Jimmy and Arien's approach, and he flashed the former a broad smile. "Hey, you guys."

Arien slid down into the seat next to Jimmy, grinning across at the proselyte boy. "Morning, In. I hear you've been playing a little hard to get with Val there."

"Arien..." Val sighed, rolling his eyes and glancing at Inarin, who (once more) had gone red. "They've inferred all of this themselves, with no input on my part, I assure you."

"It's true," Arien smirked. "Personally, I just enjoy the fact that Val's the one being strung along, not you. You're more of a devil than you give yourself credit for, In."

"Ah... uhm... I don't mean to... I'm not..." Inarin stammered, looking guiltily down at his lap.

"Hey, In... I know." Val placed a comforting hand on the proselyte's arm. "Don't fuss. Arien's just teasing."

"Teasing is like, ninety-five percent of what I do." Arien noted, nodding solemnly.

Down at the ring, Aurelion smiled faintly. "I wish I could join you, Sir Hayes. I fear I'll be needed here momentarily, though... Perhaps I'll ask for a recap later, once this spectacle is over with." As the other paladins walked away, Aurelion remained in place, awaiting the announcement of the show match. He could see Masters Rosseau and Dufort stood with the other judges, including DI Colette (whose presence, like before, had been requested to ensure Noah didn't use his animancy), discussing things over by their table near the stands.

The branches of the tree over Arianne rustled slightly with the flapping of wings, as a raven descended from the air to perch upon the branch. It trained its beady eyes on the witch below, and gave a single sharp caw.

Like Luca, Aaro was doing his damnedest not to glare openly at Elisa's copious cleavage. Unlike Luca, Aaro was bad at multitasking. He only caught the tail-end of Elisa's question.

"Wuh? Boring?" He blinked, completely unsure what to say. "Uh. Yes. Quite. Incredibly boring." When in doubt, agree with the woman. He steadied himself so as to allow Elisa a comfortable perch - aware of the fact that this was the first time a girl had touched him who wasn't either a) grappling with him in training or b) Celeste Hogan, slapping him across the face. He considered flexing every muscle in his arm and deltoid to show off, but a little kernel of wisdom buried beneath his inexperience informed him that such a ploy would be way too toolish. He kept his cool. Barely.

"That's alright, though. Hard not be boring. Circumstances and all. Hell, I'm boring and I'm probably the most interesting person here."

He looked over at Mia. "Yeah! I haven't seen you around. Where's Souci and Neera?"

He waived at Jimmy, offering him a grin.

---

Savien didn't need much prompting to follow Kurtrin. At this point, he was desperate for every shred of knowledge he could his hands on. He needed to stop them - to kill them, once and for all. If anyone could teach him how to fight the Caer, Kurtrin could.

"Good luck, Leon. I'll talk to you later." He nodded across the field at Izaic. "Beat him, if you weren't planning on it. He's at the Council's frontlist for graduation and I still have reservations. I'd like to see how he handles defeat." With that, he turned and followed Kurtrin.

As they walked, Savien noticed Arianne out of the corner of his eye. He glared at her, his brows knit in confusion beneath his helmet. What the fuck are you doing here? He would mouth to her from across the field. He doubted she would understand him.

Like all the others, Arianne would notice a strange infirmity to Savien. He was not healing. His body seemed to be getting worse, not better ... an affliction which seemed to go beyond the physical. His posture was not so straight as before, his presence not quite so stern, so focused. There was a hesitancy in his movements that had not been present before his clash with Nox.

---

Jonas sighed. "It's a long story. You probably know most of it from the briefings." He turned, briefly looking around to make sure they were alone. "We think the Caer - or one of them, at least - have returned to the city. Savien brushed up with one a few days ago. It's why he's all beat up."

Jonas shook his head. "I don't see why everyone's so upset about it, though. Even if there was a surviving Caer, he or she could never be as strong as Nito. They'd be a shadow of their father." He smirked. "Whereas the Order has only grown in strength since the Skirmishes. We have weapons the paladins of the Skirmishes could only dream of - dozens of power armor suits and a more refined Astrial, to name but two. It's only a matter of time until we nab the bastards, I say. Savien just got unlucky."

Mia’s face turned bright red at the compliment, not sure what to say other than a mumbled thank you. She wasn’t used to blushing like this, but for some reason, the words really brought up the emotion. Well, that coupled with the eyes roving her body. She was wearing a long-sleeved shirt, but it wasn’t exactly frumpy or anything, the neck a little lower than she normally wore, the rest of the fabric clinging to her curves in all the right way. Stretching out, she shrugged at Aaro, not really wanting to talk about the other two. “I’m sure they’ll be around soon.” Her gaze turned towards the ring before glancing back at everyone else.
Jimmy couldn’t help but feel sorry for both Val and In as Arien kept teasing. He grinned over at the younger Proselyte, glad that he appeared to be a lot happier than when they first met. “Hey, In. Don’t mind them.” He grinned a bit more, noting just how much Val was comforting him. Maybe there was hope for him after all. “What’s the other five percent, Arien?” Jimmy queried, grinning slyly towards him, going as far to wink and blow a kiss before waving back at Aaro.

"I don't thinks it's a matter to take lightly, Jonas. Even if they are only a fraction as powerful as Nito it's still something to be worried about. Savien is a very skilled paladin. We both know this, and still he came out looking like that. It's unsettling...I think if this person does attack it's going to take a combined effort from the order to defeat them and keep the citizens safe."

Crista seemed genuinely worried which was an odd emotion for her to experience. She was normally level headed and confident, but she sensed the tension and unease surrounding her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Madison sighed as she stood from her seat on the sidelines. Picking up her bag and carrying her book at her side she started strolling through the park. Far to her left she saw the group of paldins talking and some spliting off, to her right she saw Sir Virn and Dame Sorrel talking amongst themselves, and in front of her she saw Sir Durandet following Sir Kurtrin. She had heard that Sir Durandet was the one to bring in Morden and was hoping for the chance to thank him, but she stopped when he came into view. For a moment she thought she had mistaken another paladin for him, but it was in fact Sir Durandet. He looked unlike himself: his stature diminished by poor posture, his arm hanging at his side in a cast, and a pallid complexion indicative of poor health.

"Sir Durandet?" The timid cleric spoke in a hushed voice, almost too afraid to speak, seeing the hardened expression on his face.

Inarin looked up to offer Jimmy and Val an appreciative smile, only to do a momentary double take as Jimmy blew a kiss at Arien. Arien grinned back, nudging Jimmy in the ribs and leaning in close to give him a conspiratorial stage-whisper. "Following through on the teasing, of course... The teasing's all about getting people loosened up... and from there? Well, you know what comes after that." He winked.

When exactly had he missed this happening, Inarin wondered. Had he just been oblivious? He hadn't even realised Jimmy was ... inclined that way.

"Your support is truly appreciated, Aaro," Luca remarked with a roll of his eyes. "Look, I'm going to ... go somewhere else. You all can fraternise with dubious characters to your hearts' content, and break as many rules as you like. But I personally hold the values of the Monastery above this ... frivolity." He cast a judgemental glare in the direction of Inarin and Jimmy in particular, before striding off down the steps of the stand without another word, glowering down at the ground. Why were they all so easily led astray? Couldn't they see that their association with people like... like that, would only weaken their wills? They were to be paladins. They were to be denied the pleasures that the Castellanes and their friends indulged in without restraint. Indulging now was beyond foolish.

Elisa watched Luca go with a bemused smirk, straightening from where she'd been leaning on him and Aaro and folding her arms. "Well, something's clearly crawled up his ass and died," she remarked.

The vocal display had distracted Inarin from his bemusement regarding Arien and Jimmy, and he watched Luca's departure with a concerned frown. The worst part, was that Luca was at least partly right... he wasn't exactly being the most stellar proselyte... He found, however, that for once... he wasn't all that bothered by that fact. He sighed, shaking his head.

Val snorted, shaking his head. "And that's why you church kids get a bad rap," he remarked. "For being grumpy, unsociable and lame."

"Luca's not so bad..." Inarin said, frowning. "He's just ... w-well, traditional..." he paused, shooting Val a smile that came dangerously close to a smirk, an expression that was almost unheard of on the timid proselyte. "And hasn't been corrupted so much as the rest of us..."

Arien clicked his tongue, watching Luca depart with a thoughtful expression for a few moments before apparently coming to a decision, as he grinned. "Hmm, I'll be right back," he said, rising from his seat and brushing his hand affectionately through Jimmy's hair. "I'm going to go and see if I can't smooth things over with him at least a little. I don't want to cause any drama between friends, after all."

With a half-wave to the others, Arien started down the steps after Luca.

Seeing Luca all but flee from the degenerates was all it took for Izaic to rouse himself. For the sake of his peer, for it looked like at least one of the Castellane's pack wasn't so keen to just let the proselyte leave, the fully armed and armored Swigelf lad would make a bee-line towards his fellow initiate. Izaic hated that he couldn't pull Inarin away from that group, the twins in particular, but he could at least do something. With legs carrying him at all but a sprint, the tournament contender would both wave and shout out Luca's name before his final approach.

The look on the boy's face only confirmed his suspicions, or at least a part of them. He felt his own smile fade into a frown as he pulled along side his fellow proselyte. "You seem like you're in quite a rush. I'd ask if everything was alright..." A shot over the shorter youth's shoulders, eyeing both the approaching Arien and the group as a whole he'd left behind. "But I can already guess what the issue might be."

------------------------------------

It was good that Durandet wasn't the only one to follow. Seeing Leandre fall in line behind the two of them put a grim smile on the lips of the near eighty year old man. Honestly, he didn't know where to begin. The Order seemed to be hiding the truth, not only from the public, the civilians, but from some of their own soldiers as well. This was...unforgivable. The Masters, all of them, would receive a verbal reckoning, oath of loyalty or not. The longer they kept the silence, the harder the inevitable backlash would be from all those who thought they deserved to know the truth.

Fools. Cowards. Arrogant braggarts who thought these were relics from the past, and that modern technology would save them from another war.

"Now then. Savien, I know you're the most personally knowledgeable about who we're dealing with. Why don't you start us o-..." Pause, a sudden pause, as the trio was interrupted by a timid looking woman. Kurtrin would bite his tongue, hard. She was not militant. She had every right to know, but as of right now, the Golden only had words for his fellow Soldiers of Light. Before Sir Durandet could answer Madison, the war hero would cross his plated arms across his chest. "Be quick. We have important matters to discuss, but I will allow you this interruption, Cleric."

Last edited:
Jimmy couldn't help but blush a smidge at Arien's remark, remembering fondly when it came to that other five percent. He had to admit, the following through portion was quite enjoyable. Shifting his gaze towards Luca at the comment, he snorted and rolled his eyes. He didn't care what values the monastery had, especially after the treatment he and his father received. While he was lucky he hadn't been kicked out and was slightly grateful, he no longer was naive to things and remained just to keep an eye on his friends. Grinning up at Arien at the ruffle of his hair, the lanky male stretched out and put out the negative thoughts, wanting to enjoy things for once. His gaze drifted back towards In and he did wonder just what was going through the younger male's head at the transformation Jimmy seemed to be going through. "Eh, it's alright. No need to let it ruin our time, hm?" Jimmy reached over, nudging at In with a grin before leaning back again.

Last edited:
"If that's true, you just need to try harder then," Camille snorted, "you've got the paperwork all filed, but you won't turn it in." His hand lingered around Al's back longer than was necessary to put Castellane on his feet.

Lacroix's head swiveled towards the noise, spotting Perri watching the two of them. He beamed and waved, before looking back towards his 'dance partner'.

"What, I can't be concerned?" Arianne looked up at the bird and swirled her finger in a circle, making a light breeze gently shake the branch it perched on.

She turned back to look at Savien, offering a grin when he looked at her, but scowling when she saw his worsening condition. The witch began to skulk after the group.

Leandre shrugged uncomfortably from Kurtrin's snappy treatment of the cleric. He could understand the man's current tension, but he did not necessarily approve.

Elsewhere in the park, Abel sat at a bench, as usual, with a cup of hot coffee and hunched over a book. Today was a different one, not the jeweled piece he was reading before.

Luca came to a halt as Izaic approached him, his scowl diluting somewhat into a faint frown. "Ah... Izaic." He sighed, shaking his head with a disapproving glance over his shoulder. "It's ... nothing of great concern. Just a difference of viewpoint with some of our classmates and their friends. Nothing serious. They're all ... fine, but don't seem to understand the significance of our vows-to-be. Rather, they see it as a challenge..." He sighed a second time. "In any case, it's of little import. The others can do as they will, until they take the vows. It's not my place to judge them. I only hope it doesn't interfere with their training."

As Izaic approached Luca, Arien slowed his approach, grimacing. Now there was a confrontation he didn't need. After a moment's thought, he shook his head, and turned back. "Okay, nevermind," he said as he walked back over to Jimmy and the group. "That's a bridge I don't care to try and build."

Rather than retaking his own seat, the vampire opted to flop down onto Jimmy's lap and sprawl backwards to drape himself over both Jimmy and Val, stretching out and grinning. "This is much more enjoyable than arguing with a pair of uptight assholes."

Val raised an eyebrow, smirking down at him. "I don't know, lose a syllable and I feel like that'd be right up your alley."

"More like lose a syllable and I'd be right up your alley," Arien retorted, winking up at him.

"Terrible." Val rolled his eyes, but grinned despite himself, absently trailing a hand through Arien's hair. "You're awful, and you know it, which makes it even worse."

Across from them, Inarin blushed on both their behalfs, running a hand through his hair and looking away, his gaze finding Luca and Izaic at the base of the stands. "Ah ... maybe I'll go, then..." he murmured. "Someone should... maybe? Probably?" He hesitated a few more moments before nodding. "Yeah... I'll just ... make sure everything's okay." The younger proselyte got to his feet, casting an apologetic glance at Jimmy and Val. "I'll be back in just a sec."

"Guh," Val shrugged, grimacing in their direction. "I guess, if you feel like you should..." he mumbled, shaking his head. "You don't owe him... them anything, though."

"I know," Inarin laughed, smiling bashfully. "But ... If I leave them alone too long, they'll only ... ah, work each other up more. In terms of disliking you guys..."

"And I've been so good..." Val sighed. "Sometimes I wonder why I bother."

Inarin just flashed him another smile, before starting down the steps towards Luca and Izaic.

In the meantime, Al retook his feet with a confident grin, his eyes lingering on Perrin for a moment before he hooked an arm over Camille's shoulders. The paladin seemed to be paying them no further mind, but upon closer inspection was quite clearly suppressing a grin of his own. "Well," Al remarked, smirking slyly. "Maybe we can find some time to file that paperwork before too long. I imagine we'll both want to clean up after our match... and your manor is closer than mine... I would be ever so appreciative if I could use your shower..." he murmured, his hand trailing patterns in the Lacroix boy's hair. "You know, for convenience..."

As Arianne moved to follow Savien, so too did the raven, apparently undeterred by her breeze. The bird flapped down from its branch to land beside her, giving another, slightly more aggressive CAW.

"I'm not sure he's being fair with us," Aaro rubbed the back of his head, "it's not like we're breaking any rules - just having friends outside the Monastery. We're not doing anything..."

He looked over just as Arien crashed on Jimmy's lap. Well... most of them weren't, at least. Why had Jim been acting so strange lately? Aaro had initially chalked it up to the pain of losing his father and almost being kicked out of the Order, but lately it seemed like the proselyte was getting more and more estranged from Monastic life. And Inarin, geez. Spending the night at the Castellane manor, kissing boys... he'd certainly done a lot of changing as well.

He looked over in Luca's direction and saw him chatting with Izaic. He frowned. Perhaps Luca had a point. Were they deluding themselves? Was all this just a pointless distraction from something more important?

---

Savien suppressed a growl as someone spoke his name. Wick and Wyrm, couldn't these people just leave him alone? He needed to speak with Kurtrin, not answer more questions about-

His scowl receded as he turned to face Madison. Morden and Mistigun's sister. A month ago she'd lost her brother. Two days ago, Savien had personally fought and arrested her other brother for treachery, who was now locked away in the armory, awaiting his trial. This was as hard a week as any for the cleric.

"Madison," he replied. The hard edges in his face softened, his grimace fading. "Is there something you need?"

The two had spoken on occasion, but had never been close. The timid cleric typically kept to herself and her work in the hospital med lab.

Jimmy grinned when Arien came back and flopped down in his lap before stretching out across Val as well. He didn't mind the contact and actually welcomed it. The frown that slipped out when Inarin moved off to talk with Izaic couldn't be helped, but he let it go after a few minutes, knowing that the Proselyte was that kind and he wasn't going to hold it against him. Shifting his gaze towards Aaro, he shrugged a little. "We aren't doing anything, you're right." Jimmy wasn't about to defend his relationships and activities to anyone, unless of course Aaro or In asked him directly and even then, he wasn't about to reveal anything.

"The moment the silver is taken, everything changes... there's nothing wrong with trying to have a bit of fun until then." Jimmy rested his hands against Arien's hips before just encompassing his lower body with his arms, comfortable and content to let the Vampire remain where he was at.

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt."

Madison looked down and spoke in a soft demure voice, feeling intimidated by Kurtrin's towering stance before looking up once again to face Savien.

"I just wanted to thank you, for bringing Morden in I mean..."

She looked once more over his damaged figure.

"Are you alright? Have you been to see a cleric yet?"

She felt he deserved proper thanks for bringing Morden to justice. The only way she knew how to thank him was to offer her skills.

"You needn't thank me," Savien replied, "it's my job. I'm just sorry I couldn't catch him sooner."

He stiffened as she inquired about his health. "I'm fine. Really. Everyone needs to stop worrying about me." He drew a breath and brought his tone down. "...but I'm due for another medical exam this week. If you could conduct that, I'd appreciate it." He growled. "Light knows I don't want another paid physician telling me what I should or shouldn't do. I'd rather have a cleric."

Madison's somber face brightened a bit as a soft smiled turned the corners of her lips.

"I'd be more than happy to...well I'll let you go now. I'm sorry again for stopping you."

She took a small step away from the procession of paladins so they could be on their way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After talking with Jonas for a moment, Crista decided to follow the group of paladins behind Savien to where ever they were going. She gathered from their behavior that they knew a lot more about what was going on and the last thing she wanted was to be left in the dark, unprepared.

Last edited:
"Sure, convenience, let's call it that," Cam smirked and reached up to feel his head. Al's roving hand had reminded him of the heavy bruise and gash on his head, from the rather unpleasant encounter earlier in the festival. It was healing quite nicely, before long the few stitches he had could be removed. "I'm not going to say no, but have fun trying to convince your dearest brother to let you out of his sight. That is, if he stops pining after Inarin long enough to notice."

"What is your problem?" Arianne swatted at the bird. "If you're going to pester me, at least do it in person so I don't look completely mad for talking to a raven. My sanity's already in question enough." She gestured towards Savien, albeit subtly, "He looks like shit. I enjoy tormenting him, but not like this, and not when it's somebody else doing it. You understand, don't you?"

Izaic frowned and crossed his arms. "I'm sure it already has. You'd think that Nuvellon, out of all people, would spend less of his time capering about, and more of it preparing himself for...whatever the hell it is the Wyrm is getting ready to throw our way." He didn't mention his thoughts on Jimmy or Mia or the others. Without meaning to be cruel, he honestly thought none of them would last through their first two years after taking the Silver. "But you're right. Its not really all that important, is it? We waste our time trying to get them to understand, and every time you think you might've made some progress, it more or less gets thrown back in your face."

Izaic would then indicate behind him, towards a booth selling roasted meat skewers and ale. "How about this. My treat. I know we don't exactly get along the greatest, but shit, I don't think we should all split up too much. Besides, I'd rather like to chit chat with some like minded company for a change."

-------------------

"If that is all well and finished, perhaps we can move on to more pressing matters than your booboos, Durandet." Kurtrin spat, not quite intending to come across as venomous as he did. "As I was saying before, explain what happened, what you saw, in vivid detail. I know you're going to start up about your "reports" or what have you, but the written word doesn't do voiced memories justice. I know full well what these monsters are capable of, but I'm not sure our friend The Fortress does. Nor do I think hes been privy to the exact nature of the beast we contend with."

"Oh come onnnnnnn!"

"No, you've had too many already."

Adrian whined incoherently and clung to Jacques, a young man he met at work. His open gray jacket started to slip from his shoulders and expose a shirt that was by no means adequate for the weather. That is, if it wasn't for the half-dozen 'adult' lemonades in plastic cups he had bought and drank (even though he spilled about half of the last one on himself and the ground). The larger and less inebriated of the two youths dragged the white-haired nuisance away from the drink stands, despite his drunken protests.

"How do people put up with you?" He chuckled and leaned against a tree to steady Lefevre's posture.

"Because I'm lovable and friendly and adorable, clearly," Adrian giggled, his pale face perpetually flushed a noticeable pink hue from the alcohol, "Especially friendly," a hand began to drift toward the waistband of Jacques' pants, but he quickly swatted it away. Another grumbling protest came from the would-be seducer.

"You said you have friends here, right?" Jacques looked down at Adrian, and received a nod. "Where are they? You need supervision, like, constantly."

After what seemed like an hour of following Adrian's directions, Jacque had managed to lead him back towards where Arien, Val and Jimmy were sitting. They were still a little ways out, but close enough that Lefevre smiled and waved at the vampire.

Back