Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Valentine Park

as written by Script

Both twins turned to look at Jimmy as he approached, raising mirrored eyebrows. "Aside from the throbbing pain in my jaw, and the inability to talk properly, I'm fine." Valére mumbled, rubbing at his chin and spitting out another small mouthful of blood into his cup.

"We need to get you to a doctor, Val," Alvére noted sternly, pulling out his phone. "I'll message our driver." As he was texting, he glanced briefly back across at Jimmy. "We were wondering if you would show up today."

"It's your last day, after all. We thought you might have forgotten." Valére added.

Alvére slipped his phone away, stepping closer and lowering his voice so that Savien wouldn't overhear. "Do you have it?"

as written by Faithy

“Yeah, that was a pretty stupid question to ask, I guess.” Jimmy was still having difficulty when it came to reading Valére and Alvére, but he wasn’t about to let it bother him. Exhaling deeply, he glanced around to see where the others were at before returning her attention towards the twins’ right as Al started to text the driver. So, they were expecting him to forget? Hah, they sure didn’t know him as well as they thought they did.

“I’m not the type to go against my word. I’ve got it.” He slid off his backpack and dug through it before locating the book. His gaze shifted towards Savien and he rolled his eyes a little before handing over the object.

“Piece of cake.”

as written by Script

Alvére raised an eyebrow again at Jimmy retrieving the book in plain sight of a paladin, but did a good job of not reacting visibly. It wasn't so bad. For one thing, Savien was still focused on the other two proselytes. For another, the book looked innocuous enough on its own, and was hardly notorious these days. It was likely that not even many paladins knew about an archaic, banned book. That was more the Ecclesiarchy's domain.

As he slipped the book away into his own bag, he nodded his head with satisfaction. "Good job. We never really doubted you."

Valére snorted. "Yeah, right. You just lost a bet, Al."

Alvére shot a pouting glare over at his brother. "Hey! Don't make me sound like a jerk!" he grumbled.

"Awh, but it's so easy..." The glare only intensified, and Valére frowned faintly, stepping forwards to wrap his arms around his brother's waist affectionately. "You're my jerk, though. So it's fine. Chill."

Leaning back into the hug, Alvére let out a sigh, seeming to relax for the first time since Izaic had struck his brother. "Guess I'm still on edge," he muttered.

"We really do appreciate the help," Val said, smiling at Jimmy from where his chin rested on his brother's shoulder. "You wouldn't believe how thorough your church was at burning this thing."

as written by Faithy

Jimmy relaxed the moment Alvére put the book away in his own bag. He wasn’t too concerned about the exchange mostly because the book looked like nothing special and there wasn’t reason for anyone to be suspicious. They had made a bet concerning whether or not he’d actual get them the book? He couldn’t stop the scowl that crossed his face, but he quickly forced a fake smile in place of the anger. Their argument, if you could even call it that helped bring him out of his funk and he was reminded of how close they were at the rave. A million and one thoughts ran through his mind, but he kept them all to himself, not wanting to rock the boat.

“Sure, wasn’t a problem, really. I had a little bit of help from a friend.” Jimmy grinned, though he managed to keep from looking over towards Inarin, not wanting them to pounce on the teenager yet again.

“What was the bet anyways?” He didn’t want to know, but couldn’t help but ask.

as written by Ronin

"Swigelf seemed pretty upset about something," Savien stated, resting a hand on his belt as he sized up the boy. "Anything I should know about?" Though Durandet's voice held its usual gruff, there was little steel in his tone. He wasn't sure what role Inarin played in all of this, but it was clear enough that the boy was more victim than instigator. The knight saw no reason to disbelieve his confusion and distress. Whatever was going on here was clearly a part of a larger social dilemma that Savien had no knowledge of - tension between hormone-charged teenagers, by the look of it. The paladin struggled not to roll his eyes. Proselyte drama. How typical.

He heard bits and pieces of the conversation behind him, though not enough to merit any serious attention. The three youths had been wise enough not to purposefully lower their voices and draw attention to themselves. As it was, Savien had seen nothing of the transaction, though he did pick up something about 'betting'...

as written by Script

"I ..." Inarin looked away, making a valiant (but failed) attempt not to blush. "I d-don't know, sir. He's been acting ... oddly, recently. I- I don't know why."

Inarin wasn't an idiot, of course. Perhaps hopelessly naive, and undoubtedly as good at picking up on social cues as a plant, but even he was beginning to cotton on to what was happening. He just had absolutely no idea how to react to it, and was certainly not going to mention his suspicions to a paladin. Of course, he didn't sound particularly convincing.

"H-he was angry after the match, and the twins were teasing him. I- I guess he j-just snapped?"

____

"After it got to a week and a half, we weren't sure if you were going to follow through," Valére confessed, smiling apologetically from his perch. "So Al bet you wouldn't, I bet you would. I've always been better at reading people than him, though."

To his credit, Alvére at least looked mildly embarrassed, but he shrugged (much to Valére's annoyance, as his chin was knocked by the gesture). "Hey, we don't exactly know you that well, so we had no idea if you'd keep your word." He smirked. "Glad to be proved wrong, for once. Buuut..." He reached down and extricated himself from Val's grip, stepping around to loop his arm through his brother's. "We ought to get going, before Val bleeds out."

"It'th not that bad," Valére reassured him, not exactly helping his argument by lisping.

"We'll be back tomorrow," Alvére went on. "You should come and watch us fence. Arien said he'd stop by too, if you wanted to catch up with him. Either way, see you around, Jimster." He winked, before starting towards the steps. As the two went, he turned to wave in Celeste and Inarin's direction. "Later, you two. Good luck dealing with the monster in the closet!"

The pair laughed, as they sauntered off into the crowd.

as written by Krysis

Celeste shrugged a little, "I think it is a bit of a big brother syndrome. Izaic likes to pick on Inarin, but doesn't like anyone else to tease him. Kinda like how my sister will do horrible things to me, but defend me if anyone else should just speak to me harshly. I'm Her's to torment, no one else's."

The athletic brunette knew better, of course, but it was a plausible enough excuse to save them from getting into more trouble, she hoped. "So when Swigelf heard that the twins were giving In trouble, he had to come up and try to stop it. Even though it really wasn't that much trouble at all."

as written by Faithy

Jimmy realized that he had taken longer to get the book to them than what had originally been agreed upon, but that wasn’t really his fault. Since the Rave incident and the skipping of classes the next day, he didn’t really have the freedom to just saunter out. Not only that, he wasn’t sure whether or not he wanted to call Pierette and didn’t trust a taxi to take him back to the school. So, he decided to just wait until now. Grinning a little at the bet itself, he was glad that he proved Alvére wrong.

“Well, I’m glad that I proved myself worthy… at least when it comes to keeping my word. I’ll definitely come watch you two fence. It’ll be nice to catch up with Arien too. Go take care of Valére. We can talk another time.” Grinning, Jimmy glanced over towards Celeste and Inarin before waving back towards Al and Val. Moving over towards the two, he slid his fingers through his hair and sighed heavily.

“Everyone okay over here?” He queried, briefly peering towards Savien before returning his attention towards his friends.

as written by Ronin

'Big brother syndrome'. Yeah right. Izaic had lashed out because he'd been accused of being romantically involved with Inarin. Whatever was going on between them was most likely a bit more intimate than the fraternal bond subsisting between peers. Not that Savien gave a damn. They were proselytes. Shit like this happened far more then the Monastery liked to admit.

"I know your brother," Savien turned back to Inarin, deciding to change the subject, "worked with him on a few field ops. He's a fine knight. One of the best." A curt nod. "I look forward to working with you too."

“Everyone okay over here?”

Savien nodded to Jimmy. "Fine, proselyte." He glanced over his shoulder as Al and Val disappeared into the crowds. A small frown flitted over his jaw, but quickly dissipated. He looked over at Jimmy. "Ó’Suaird, isn't it?" Goddamn, did he know everyone's names? "Twins went to find a doctor?"

as written by Script

Inarin flushed slightly at Alvére's farewell call, but was thankfully distracted quickly by Savien.

"Oh, I... thank you, sir." He managed a small smile at the mention of his brother, and the ... compliment? Either that, or Savien didn't know much about him. Probably the latter.

"Hey, Jimmy," he said as the taller boy approached. "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Is Val alright?"

as written by Krysis

"Unless you need me for anything else, Inarin, I'm going to go find my father." Celeste murmured, though she gave a nod to Savien as well. Despite the tissue stuck on her forehead, she didn't seem to be injured too badly, after all.

"Maybe now that he has seen his favorite events, I can convince him to get out of town. Something I'd recommend for any family members you have too, Jimmy." She chewed her lower lip, worried that things in Lutetia were about to get much worse.

as written by Faithy

“Yes, sir, it’s Ó’Suaird and yes, the twins went to go find a doctor. I’m sure Val will be fine though.” Jimmy almost commented about how Izaic was a huge jerk that seemed to take his aggressions out on people, but he decided to keep his mouth shut and to keep out of whatever was going on with the Proselyte. Nodding hello at Inarin, Jimmy studied the younger male silently for a second or two to make sure he was alright.

“Glad you’re fine, In. Val’s bleeding was already slowing considerable, so I bet he’ll be right as rain by his fencing match tomorrow.” Sliding his fingers through his hair, his gaze drifted over towards Celeste, frowning deeply at her comment. He had heard about the attacks earlier, but hadn’t decided if he wanted to call his father or not. Would his father even listen to him?

“My father is not one to leave without a lot of persuading and he probably won’t even let me try to talk him into leaving. He doesn’t talk to me unless I’m calling with good news. The last time I tried to warn him of the dangers, he told me not to bother calling unless I’ve got my silver.” Jimmy shrugged a little, trying to play off that it didn’t bother him.

as written by Script

The next day...

The second day of the Aurellae was in full swing, as preparations were being made for the fencing tournament’s first round. For many of the festival-goers, the fencing was one of the ‘main events’ of the week, and so the crowds were even thicker than they had been the previous day, despite the events at St Caron’s.

Consequently, Noah found the affair even more unpleasant that he might otherwise have done. It was all far too loud, both literally and in a spiritual sense. There were downsides to being attuned to the lives of all those around you - a crowd like this was like a constant buzz of white noise in the back of his head.

Don’t be so grouchy, boy. I used to love the Aurellae when I was a girl. Even after that, it was still one of my favourite times of the year.

Noah rolled his eyes. Of course you did. You were one of them. This is your festival, not mine.

It’s everyone’s, Noah. That’s the point.

Is it? Or is it just an opportunity for a thinly veiled show of strength on your part?

An unnecessarily cynical viewpoint. I know for a fact that the majority of the order don’t view it that way.

And the Ecclesiarchy? Can you speak for them? You don’t actually believe they organise this out of charity, do you?

I don’t know. I don’t remember how well I knew of their ways. I … don’t think I thought very highly of them, I’ll admit.

At least she was honest. Aurore had been a paladin in life, that much she knew. She had vague recollections of her time alive, but the details eluded her. Details such as her full name, or how she’d died. It had made trying to figure out who she had been quite difficult, especially without access to Monastery records. Noah sighed. I understand that for most people, it’s just a fun week or two. But if you read between the lines… For one thing, I don’t believe for a second that all of the money raised here goes anywhere but into the Ecclesiarchy’s coffers.

I suppose that is likely, but the Ecclesiarchy funds many good works.

And many gilded armchairs.

The Ecclesiarchal Thrones are not gilded armchairs, Noah.

Might as well be. But like I said… part of this is the Church getting a chance to show the people that they’re still powerful. To posture, and pretend they have everything under control.

Would you rather have the people panic?

I suppose not. But it still doesn’t sit well with me. It’s just more lies, dressed up prettier.

And yet, you’ve entered their tournament.

Noah frowned. That paladin goaded me into it, implying that I couldn’t even stand up to one of their students without animancy.

“Noah?”

Blinking, Noah turned his attention towards the voice that had called his name. He realised belatedly that he’d been standing in the same spot, having a mental exchange with Aurore, for some time. The crowd had parted around him, many recognising his lengthy white cloak and uniform for what they were, and giving him a wide berth. Peregrine was stood with another paladin, eyebrow raised. As Noah turned to look at him, he smirked. “Daydreaming?”

Noah flicked his hair dismissively as he stepped across to Lacroix and his companion - a taller, broader paladin, with similarly fair blonde hair. He had a strong jaw, and an easy smile, but he seemed somehow weary despite his straight-backed posture. Something in his eyes, and in the aura Noah detected on him. Pain. That was it. Something ate at his heart behind the smile. “I was merely thinking,” he answered, shrugging his shoulders.

“You must be Noah,” the tall paladin said. “My name’s Aurelion. Aurelion Nuvellon” He offered a hand in greeting.

Nuvellon. Noah did his best to keep the shock from showing on his face, but Aurelion picked up on it. His smile faltered briefly in a wince. “Yes, that Nuvellon,” he added, more solemnly.

“I… I’m sorry, Sir Nuvellon. I did not mean to-”

“It’s fine.” The paladin smiled again, re-offering his hand. “I appreciate your sympathy, but my life and my duty continue. We don’t need to speak of recent events.”

Noah took his hand and shook it, marvelling at the strength of the man’s conviction. Despite the aching pain that Noah had detected, the rest of him was… resolute. Strong. Not what he would have expected of a man who had just lost most of his family.

“Noah,” Peregrine interjected quickly to change the subject. “I was just telling Aurelion about you! It’s the first time in … well, it’s the first time I’ve ever heard of an animancer taking part in the Aurellae. I can’t wait to hear what the judges will make of it.”

Noah shrugged. “Since I won’t be using my powers in the sparring, it should not matter.” He paused, considering. He wouldn’t put it past the Church’s judges to disqualify him on a single false accusation.

“But you’re worried someone will accuse you of it?” Noah raised an eyebrow, looking across at Aurelion. Had he been that obvious? “I wouldn’t worry too much. Our proselytes are good kids. They won’t throw any false accusations around.”

“That’s another point… I hadn’t realised I’d be matched up against… well, children.”

“You are only twenty,” Peregrine pointed out. “At least one of the proselytes is older than you, so…”

Noah grimaced. The tournament was age bracketed, true, but it still felt demeaning to be placed in the same category as students. Even considering his age. He supposed he would just have to make clear their misjudgement of his capabilities.

“If you get matched up against him - Izaic, is his name. Do me a favour, and give him a few bruises for me,” Aurelion said, folding his arms with a humourless chuckle. When Noah shot him a questioning look, he shrugged. “I’ve owed him a few from my brother for years now, but being a paladin… I can’t deliver on that debt. At least, not until next year, when he’s in my bracket of the sparring.”

“I’ll... “ Noah hesitated. He wasn’t sure that agreeing to deliver vicarious petty vengeance was an entirely appropriate arrangement for a Warden.

Picking up on his hesitation, Aurelion laughed, more genuinely this time. “I wasn’t being altogether serious, Warden. But do keep an eye out for him. He doesn’t know the meaning of the word restraint.”

“That’s if he’s even in the tournament,” Peregrine said. “Did you hear what happened yesterday?”

Noah hadn’t, but Aurelion spoke up before he could ask. “I did. Inarin was there when it happened. The twins are … I hesitate to say his friends, but they’ve met before. He told me everything after I got back to Florianne’s.”

“Izaic managed to pick probably the worst possible person to punch, except for maybe the Archbishop,” Peregrine explained to Noah, “one of the Castellane twins, the kids of Castellane International’s CEO. They’re the kind of rich that have a team of lawyers on hand for if you so much as sneeze at them. I’m told they’re not pressing charges, but...” He sighed. “The idiot could have gotten himself kicked out of the monastery, if he’d gotten convicted. And he would have done.”

“Did he have a reason to lash out?” Noah asked, more amused than anything. By the sounds of it, it would have been no great loss if Izaic had lost out on his chances at paladinhood. The last thing the city needed was more paladins like him.

“Nothing good,” Aurelion remarked, scowling. “Inarin said it was something that the Castellane kid had been about to say, but short of being physically threatened, there’s no good reason for a member of the order to strike a civilian. He could have done a lot more damage than he did.”

Noah nodded his head in agreement. “Well, if I do find myself as this Izaic’s opponent tomorrow, I’ll do my best to deliver on your request,” he gave Aurelion a wry smile. “To an extent that is appropriate, of course.”

“Of course,” Aurelion returned the smile.

“I hold out hopes for a thorough trouncing,” Peregrine remarked, waving a finger at him. “If, that is, you’re everything that your Master Warden says you are.”

He shot the paladin a glare. “Much of Master Devereaux’s opinion on me is based on my animantic prowess. But I don’t doubt I will be more than a match for him without it, regardless. But bravado is meaningless - until we actually meet in the ring, there’s no point in speculating.”

“He’s on the defensive now,” Peregrine stage-whispered across to Aurelion. “Hedging his bets, in case he’s the one that gets embarrassed in front of a crowd.”

“Uhg,” Noah huffed indignantly. “Must you try and mock me at every turn?”

“Must is a very strong word…” Peregrine rolled back on his heels, shrugging his shoulders.

“Don’t worry, he does this to everyone,” Aurelion remarked, nudging Peregrine - enough to put him off balance, and cause him to stumble. Noah couldn’t help but snicker. The long-haired paladin shot both him and Aurelion a glare as he regained his balance. “If anything, it’s a sign of affection.”

“I’m not sure if that’s comforting, or alarming,” Noah stated dryly.

“The pair of you simply wouldn’t know charm if it slapped you in the face,” Peregrine retorted with exaggerated pomposity. “And charm is quite tempted to do just that.”

Before their mocked up argument could continue any further, a voice blared across on the festival loudspeaker, requesting that the entrants for the fencing tournament report to the officials.

“That time already?” Aurelion glanced at his watch, raising an eyebrow. “So it is. Well, shall we go and watch?”

As the trio made their way towards the tournament staging grounds, Aurore’s voice piped up once more.

I can’t help but notice you’re getting along well with Sir Lacroix, and now Sir Nuvellon.

Noah frowned. I’m working with Lacroix, it would be foolish to be antagonisti-

Oh, pith. You’re not that cold, boy. Can it hurt to admit that not all of the church represent the arrogance and corruption you see in every shadow? You already accept me, after all.

You’re different, Aurore. You’re from another time, and you don’t remember everything anyway. But of course you’re right, they may well be as genuine as they seem. But for every paladin like them, no doubt there’s another like Him.
Noah could not forgive the church for that. No matter what friendly faces it wore.

You’d do well not to push them away. Even if the Church is as black as you fear it is, allies within would be valuable, would they not?

He paused to consider for a moment. That’s true.

Friends, even more so. That’s not to mention how sorely you lack those. I worry, you know.

A grimace. Thanks, Aurore. But you’re not my-

And I do not pretend to be. Nonetheless, my concern is genuine. Your wellbeing is connected intrinsically to my own, after all. All I’m saying is … stop trying to catch yourself enjoying their company, and pushing that away. A little laughter won’t hurt you.

I’ll take your words under advisement.

With that, he firmly turned his mind from the exchange, and back to avoiding tripping over any of the crowd. Aurore could have pushed through if she wanted to, but she did not.

Aurelion and Peregrine were engaged in discussion of their prospective opponents in the tournament, and Noah happily allowed himself to fade into the background of the conversation. The idea of being here, walking amongst the Church’s favoured dogs as though he belonged, would have been preposterous to him a week ago.

No, it still was preposterous. But here he was.

Aurore was wrong on at least one count. He didn’t need friends amongst these people. But perhaps she had a point regarding allies. Perhaps with their help, he might find justice.

First, however, he had to find Him.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Script

Whilst Noah and the pair of paladins were arriving at the staging grounds, where a fencing arena had been sectioned off where the wrestling ring had been the day before, the participants in the tournament were also gathering. Many wore the dress uniform of the Lacroix Academy - the institute was always well represented in the Aurellae, and this year was no exception. There were a number of faces that would be familiar to those that had watched the event before, including last year's junior runner-up, Alphonse Bonnaire. A tall and athletic-looking young man with cropped brown hair and a long, but elegant face, Bonnaire had taken second place to Peregrine Lacroix, who had only this year stepped up to the senior bracket.

However, there were also some new faces clad in the academy's uniform. Alvére and Valére lingered in the shade of a tree nearby, both looking resplendent in the matching formal attire. For once it was easy to tell the two apart, as Valére's face was still marred by an unpleasant bruise across his lip, a souvenir from the previous day's altercation.

They were joined by a third figure. Arien was leaning against the tree itself, half-watching the various passers-by as he and the twins were speaking.

"If I'd known I was going to be the last match of the day," Valére remarked as he looked over the bracket, "I would have slept in longer." He sighed.

"And miss out on quality time with me?" Arien smirked, "I'm hurt."

Val huffed. "I'm kidding."

"At least you get to see your opponent fight," Alvére noted. "You'll be up against either Celeste, or some guy called Zachary."

"Isn't he the one with the mole?" Valére pulled a face. "I hope Celeste wins. I don't want to get close to that."

"Speaking of, I haven't seen her yet." Arien scanned the crowd once more, not catching sight of the proselyte girl (though it would have been easy to miss her). "I think I spy Inarin in the stands over there, but he's alone."

Alvére shrugged. "She's probably getting ready for her match... But Inarin, you say?"

The twins exchanged a glance, and a grin. Arien raised an eyebrow - for once, he appeared to be out of the loop.

"I get the impression you two are plotting something," he remarked.

"Of a sort," Valére replied.

"It's one of a few things." Alvére added.

"Nothing bad..."

"...for him, anyway."

"It's just between us, for the moment. We'll fill you in later," Valére winked, "but right now, it's my move. I'll catch up with you two later."

Without a backwards glance, Valére slipped away into the crowd in Inarin's direction. Alvére watched him go, his grin fading somewhat.

"So you aren't quite attached at the hip, then?" Arien piped up.

Alvére glanced back at him. "Not always. We make exceptions, when it's necessary."

"You two better tell me what you're up to later." He didn't particularly enjoy being left in the dark.

"We will... mostly."

Arien rolled his eyes. Sure, he could force the issue. But where would the fun in that be? "I'll take your word for it."

The first fencing match was beginning, between a pair of Lacroix academy fencers. Nobody Arien knew, or knew of. The clash of rapier on rapier formed a percussive background to the crowd's chatter, punctuated by the occasional cheer as someone scored a touch.

as written by Krysis

Celeste was indeed warming up for her first match of the day. The struggle with Izaic had left her sore in unexpected ways, and she was stretching the aching muscles in an almost meditative trance in the prepping area. Her forehead had just a small band-aid above her left eye, but falling under the heavy proselyte hadn't exactly been the best thing to happen the day before a fencing match.

She wondered if she should have just avoided him, but it was too late to worry about what had been done. Celeste could not afford to let her feelings distract her. Fencing was about precision and speed. While she was not a Lacroix, she had studied their techniques enough that one of the teachers had asked her to join the competition. Even if it was just to fill the bracket with another proselyte instead of letting the field be completely flooded with students from other schools, she would do her utmost best.

Her fencing jacket was laid nearby as she made a circle with her arms and rotated from the waist and hips with an impressive range of movement.

"If you weren't my sister, I would whistle." Robert Jr abruptly remarked from where he had approached the fenced off area for the, um, fencers. While he might have put on a smile for others, for Celeste he didn't bother with the pretense. She knew better than anyone else what demons haunted him and it was a relief to not have to pretend to be having a good time.

Many people would have found the emptiness of her brother's gaze rather creepy, but Celeste had gotten used to it. There was an empty, waiting part inside of the older male, something hungry and patient, that seemed 'other' but actually was just a part of him. All the tests they had done to try to exorcise the ghost or demon had found nothing to move. Finally they had realized that it was a very human problem, one that could only be solved with therapy, if he was so inclined. So the girl gave him an equally blank stare, though her eyes were not as cold or empty as he could let his go. "If I weren't your sister, you wouldn't even notice me."

The older male shrugged as he leaned against the post and folded his arms. "I'd notice you, but you're not ripe enough for me. The bruises are a nice touch though. I didn't realize that boy had gotten your neck--" His gaze narrowed in suspicion when Celeste's hand jumped to cover the side of her neck where her mild perspiration and inexperience with make-up had foiled her attempt to conceal a mark there. "I see. Might want to put on your jacket before Remy shows up. He was scouting out the cooking competition, but he'll be here soon to cheer you on."

Celeste blushed deeply as she shrugged on the jacket and made sure the collar was firmly up and hiding her slender throat. The gesture forcibly reminded her of how Inarin had done the exact same thing the day after the rave, and how embarrassed he had been. Well, now she knew Exactly how he had felt.

as written by glmstr

Elsewhere in the staging grounds, many of the fencers from the Lacroix academy were gathered together. A few students were having quick practice bouts to warm up, and Lucas Lacroix offered each and every one a similar treatment: he asked them how confident they felt, listened to their response, gave any last minute advice he seemed relevant, and then wished them luck.

Many of the academy's fencers wore either a full dark blue uniform or had a patch with the academy's insignia sewn or ironed onto their jacket.

Camille and Karine were having some lemonade from one of the vendors together. They sat in two of a trio of matching folding chairs, the three of which were brought to the event from home.

The likeness between mother and son was extremely apparent when they sat together. Camille looked like a short haired and teenaged version of his mother, and their dainty cross-legged sitting postures were the same too.

They seemed to be talking about something, so Camille was too distracted to immediately notice anyone he knew unless they approached the two of them.

as written by Script

Inarin glanced at his watch as the first match began in the arena below. It was around the time that Aurelion had said he'd be here, after meeting with Peregrine. For a brief moment, his mind defaulted to concern, but then his better judgement kicked in. Aurelion was minutes late. How insecure could he get? He'd be along soon, and till then there was no point in sitting and watching the clock.

The proselyte returned his focus to the fencing, watching with interest as the competitors - a lithe-looking brown-haired boy and a pale, dark-haired girl, neither of whom he recognised - exchanged blows. It seemed that the girl had the upper hand, by the regularity with which she was scoring hits on her opponent. Keeping track of the exchanges was a challenge in and of itself, and he didn't envy the referee their job - especially since many of them ended with both of the competitors landing a hit, with the point going to the first to strike.

He was focused enough on the fencing, that the voice from the end of the row of seats caught him entirely by surprise when his name was called. "Hey, Inarin?"

Inarin looked up with a start, to be met with the inquiring gaze of Valére - recognisable by his bruising. The Castellane boy was clad in the navy uniform of the Lacroix Academy, and he had to admit, the formal attire looked good on him. Probably because it had been tailored to perfection, or designed specifically for him, or something like that. But still, whatever the reason...

"Oh-" Inarin realised that he was staring after what was thankfully not too long a moment, and hastily blurted out a response. "Valére. It's uh. Good to... Hi?" There was something a little off about the boy's greeting, but Inarin couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Wait.

"Where's your brother?" This was the first time that Inarin had ever seen one of the twins without the other. He'd been subconsciously waiting for Alvére to cut in with a second greeting, and its absence had thrown him off. It didn't help that Valére was carrying not one, but two cups of some sort of hot drink. Inarin assumed that one was for Al.

Valére smiled. "We're not attached at the hip, you know." He chuckled. "Well, not always. We decided that since we're going to have to face off against each other in the tournament at some point, we should have a little independent time in the lead-up to it. It'll make the build up more intense."

He wasn't sure he quite understood that reasoning, but Inarin nodded all the same. He didn't think he was ever likely to understand the intricacies of the twins' relationship, and so it was probably better not to ask too many questions. "Are... are you two dueling today?" he asked.

"Yeah. Do you mind if I sit down?"

"Oh! Sorry, y- yeah, go ahead."

The auburn-haired boy smiled once more as he lowered himself into the seat beside Inarin, proffering one of the drinks to him. "Hot chocolate? I saw you were drinking one yesterday, right?"

Inarin blinked. "Y-yeah. Um. Really? Th-thanks." He took the drink hesitantly, wondering at what ulterior motive Valére might have had for plying him with a drink. And why he'd remembered what he'd been drinking before.

"It's no trouble," Valére took a sip of his own drink, grinning in a manner that almost seemed... bashful? That couldn't be right. "I wanted to make amends, I guess."

"Amends?"

"Yeah. For yesterday. I really got under your uh... friend's skin, huh?" He grimaced regretfully, reaching up to brush his hand over his swollen lip. "I guess I already got my just desserts for it, but I didn't really get a chance to apologise to you."

"Apologise? Wh- what for?" Inarin shook his head, "Y-you might have been teasing him, but- but that's no reason for him to do what he did. And you didn't do anything to warrant- to warrant apologising to me."

"I know that me and my brother can be a bit much to handle at the best of times," Valére said, shaking his head with a frown. "So I guess I'm just sorry for us rolling in like that and ... however it happened, causing a scene. We tend to cause a lot of those, and ... well, you don't deserve to have to deal with that."

Whilst Inarin had to admit, Val had something of a point - the twins were a bit much to deal with - he didn't doubt... well, at least he didn't doubt now, that they meant well. "It's okay," he reassured him, offering a smile. "I- I don't really mind. I'm just... easily flustered, is all. I know you're not trying to be... to be mean, or anything."

"That's good, at least," Valére's smile returned. "I'd hate for someone like you to think I was... that we were being mean to you."

"S-someone like me?" Inarin felt his heart beating a little faster. What was going on here?

"Oh, yeah..." Val glanced away, shrugging. "Y'know. Nice, sweet, friendly... cute."

And there came the blush. After he'd been doing so well. Inarin went a distinct shade of red, stammering for words. "Wh- c... cute?"

"Yeah," Valére sniggered, looking back at him. "Sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you, but it's true." He hesitated. "Am I making you uncomfortable? I can drop it, if you want, I just-"

"N-no!" Inarin blurted out, without being entirely sure why. "I mean- uh, it's fine. J-just, unexpected."

Valére raised an eyebrow. "Really? You're surprised I find you cute? After... well, after the party?"

If he'd been able to get any redder, Inarin would have done. As it was, he may as well have been a blonde tomato at this point. "I... ah..."

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything." Valére shrugged. "I just thought I'd throw that out there... well, there was one more thing. Are you doing anything this afternoon? If you want, after my match, we could wander around the rest of the festival together. Or we could go into town. Everywhere will be less busy because of the festival."

Inarin stared. Was he being asked on a..? No. No, he was misinterpreting it. Right? "I- I ah... don't mind... uh, whichever you..."

"So that's a yes?"

Wide eyed, Inarin managed a miniscule nod.

"Hurray!" Valére laughed happily, looping an arm over Inarin's shoulder. The proselyte stared up at the slightly taller teen, incredulous. What was going on here? Even after the rave, he'd written off the twins' interest in him as ... well, meaningless.

He hesitated.

"This isn't some s-sort of joke, is it?"

Valére blinked, his expression shifting to a frown. "No," he said, softly. Then again, more forcefully. "No. Look, whatever comes of this, In. We can have fun, yeah? I just want to show you a good time. Nothing more, nothing less. For now. You okay with that?"

Inarin looked down at his lap for several long moments, mulling over Valére's words. It still seemed too good to be true. And what would everyone think? He'd barely come to terms with himself that he was... that way inclined. Could he really go on a..? Even if it could easily have just been hanging out with a friend. A very attractive, very touchy-feely friend. Okay, no, he wouldn't be fooling anyone.

He looked up, meeting Valére's hazel eyes. And the decision was abruptly made. "Alright. Yeah. Yeah, sure."

Val grinned. "I can hang out here till I'm called for my match, if you'd like?" He put his arm more firmly around the proselyte, and gave him an affectionate squeeze.

"Th-that'd be nice, yeah." Still blushing, Inarin leaned into him, forgetting for a moment that there were potentially a lot of people he'd probably have preferred not to see him in such a position around. Forgetting a lot of things, really.

as written by Script

"Ah, there's my family now."

Noah followed Peregrine's gesture to the mother-daughter pair... or were they a mother-son pair? From this distance, he wasn't entirely sure.

"I should probably go and find Inarin," Aurelion said, glancing over his shoulder to scan the stands. "But good luck in the tournament, if I don't see you before your match, Perrin."

"Luck?" Peregrine scoffed. "Leon, when have I ever needed luck?"

"As I recall, there was a sparring match involving a pigeon and a..."

"NO. You weren't supposed to actually answer that!" The paladin laughed, shooing Aurelion away. "Go on. Go find In."

Aurelion smirked. "I'll see you later. You too, Noah."

Noah nodded. "It was good to meet you, Sir Nuvellon."

As Aurelion walked away, Peregrine turned to look at him. "So, I understand if you'd rather not join the family cluster. But I assure you that I am, by a long shot, the most insufferable of us. If you can put up with me, you can put up with them."

Noah raised an eyebrow. "They would have to try fairly hard to keep up with you, I'm sure," he remarked dryly. "But since you dragged me here, I'll remain with you..."

He trailed off, as something odd registered in his mind. A spike of emotional energy somewhere in the crowd that wasn't entirely natural. He turned to look, but there was nothing unusual to be seen. A few clusters of friends or family, making their way to seats. A pair of teens loitering at the base of a tree. An argument between two mothers whose children had gotten into a scrap.

"Noah?"

The question snapped him back to himself, and he turned back to face Peregrine once more. "Ah, sorry. I just thought I sensed something odd. But it was nothing, as far as I can tell." The strange pulse was gone as quickly as it had appeared. It had been weak, almost unnoticeable. But something about it hadn't felt right.

Peregrine raised an eyebrow. "Huh. Well, let me know if it happens again." His expression turned serious for a moment. "With everything that's happened lately, I'm not willing to dismiss anything as 'nothing'."

"You're right," Noah nodded. "I'll stay alert."

"See? I knew I brought you along for a reason. Other than your charming personality, of course."

Noah rolled his eyes, choosing not to dignify that with a response, and merely gestured for Peregrine to carry on.

The paladin led him across the small distance towards where Camille and Karine were seated, waving a hand in greeting. "Hey, Cam, Aunt Karine. How's the morning treating you?"

Noah lingered behind him and to the side, waiting to be introduced.

as written by glmstr

"Hey Perri!"
"Hello Perrin,"

The two answered in unison, the former with a youthful glee and the latter with a familial warmth.

"We're doing well, you?"
Camille trotted towards Peregrine and gave him as big of a hug as his petite body could manage. The Lacroix boy backed up after a few seconds and cocked his head at a slight angle, looking at Noah.

"Who's this? An Animancer?" His face showed clear curiosity, as he'd had very little exposure to the Order of the White.

as written by Script

"This is Warden Noah Lévêque, and yep, he's an animancer." Perrin replied with a smile. "We've been working together on a case recently. I invited him along today, because between you and me," he leaned over for a stage-whisper, "he really needs to get out more. Noah, this is Cam: my cousin, and Karine: my aunt."

Noah let out an audible sigh, resisting the urge to rub at his temples. "It's a pleasure to meet you both. And please, just call me Noah."

"You'll be competing against him tomorrow, Cam," Peregrine noted, "I convinced him to sign up to the sparring tournament. And speaking of competing, how long 'till your first match?"

Back