Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia

as written by Peachy00Keen and RAmenAmen

Inside the abandoned warehouse...

The car pulled into a poorly lit alleyway where it rolled to a halt. They were in front of a large, abandoned warehouse, that by the look of it hadn’t been used in over a decade. These old relics littered the outskirts of Lutetia in the disused industrial district. A large garage door opened noisily as they approached, and the driver eased the car inside. Eris couldn’t see where the door was operated from, but it began to close the moment the car crept inside. The engine died cleanly, and the driver’s door clicked open, moments before he opened the passenger side door and motioned for Eris to join him.

"What is this place -- I mean, abandoned warehouse, obviously, but why? What made you pick this particular decrepit mass of steel and stone over any of the others?" she asked, glancing around the poorly-lit interior of the building. The air felt cold and clammy, and the stench of mildew filled her nose. Pandora, who had been unconscious in her lap for the duration of the car ride, was beginning to come-to.

Her legs wobbled beneath her as she was gently but firmly pulled from the vehicle and to her feet. Her eyelids were heavy, her thoughts were fuzzy, and her mouth felt like cotton.
"What's going on? Where's Savien?" she tried to say, though what came out was a series of mumbles and incoherent moans. She stumbled across the floor, guided and held upright by Eris.

“I chose this warehouse because it is mine, Ms. Montblanc,” came a crisp, educated voice, as a slender man walked out of the darkness toward the pair. He was tall, but not overly so, wearing a dark cloak over his shoulders. His hair was long and grey, tied in a neat ponytail that hung down to the middle of his back. He wore a pair of old spectacles over his warm, hazel eyes, which were currently focused on Eris. His face was turned up the smile of a proud grandparent. He was clean shaven, with faint lines of age creasing an otherwise smooth face, save for an awkwardly long nose that gave him a permanent inquisitive look. The man clapped twice, and a pair of servants, a man and a woman, emerged from the shadows behind him.

“If you don’t mind, Laurine will see to Pandora. I assure you, she will not be harmed. I only wish to see her kept safe. Your equipment and your vehicle are in the adjacent garage, where they have been kept safe. I have no doubt that the Order will search your apartment soon enough.”

Narrowing her eyes, Eris gave the older gentleman a once-over. He seemed kind, though so far, his exhibited ability to track down information and produce necessary equipment to pull off a tricky heist left little question as to his power. She decided to tread lightly.

"My address isn't in the public records... How did you find me? And why me?" she asked, her eyes still squinting incredulously. A young woman, presumably this Laurine the man had mentioned, came over and relieved Eris of Pandora's mostly-dead-weight. She watched as the barbarian girl was carried off with care, in spite of her clumsy attempts to kick and swing at Laurine as she fought through the remnants of her drug-induced stupor.

After the pause, Eris returned her attention to the old gentleman and delivered two final questions: "More importantly, who are you, and why did you specifically seek out me?"

“You can call me Morgan. I chose you, my dear, because you are among the best at what you do, and you were available when I needed you. It also seems that we have similar interests and concerns, of which we might discuss in a more… comfortable… setting.”

Eris nodded and gestured in a sweeping sort of bow. "I don't see why not," she allowed, "You've been hospitable enough so far." She took a moment's pause as she rose from her bow and met the old man's gaze with a glacial stare and a briefly steely tone: "As business partners, as it would seem we have become, I expect that hospitality to be continued. I strongly advise against anything less." The tone faded and she continued as if the interjection had never happened. "After you, sir."

Morgan chuckled at Eris’ comment, and led her across the warehouse to a single door, which looked as worn as the rest of the place. Behind the door was the start of a hallway, leading to a desk outside a small office. The desk was covered in paperwork, but remained vacant. Morgan led Eris through the door into his office, where the décor changed dramatically. The floor was made of immaculate white tile, with a large rug between the door and the mahogany desk. A laptop sat to the left of the desk, and a few loose pages were arranged on the right. Paintings covered the walls of the room, which was oddly well lit, compared to the warehouse they’d just been in, and behind the desk was a large bookshelf. As Morgan sat himself in a large, leather office chair, Eris noticed that the books lacked titles, and were instead simply marked with a month and year, going back several decades. He gestured to the chair opposite him.

“Please, take a seat.”

"You keep a diary?" she asked as she sat down, pointing a thumb toward the books on the shelf as she plopped herself down sideways in the chair, hanging her legs over one arm.

“I keep notes on things. Information is valuable, you know.” Morgan picked up the top page from his desk, lazily scanning the page. “Let’s see here… ‘Eris Montblanc, human, twenty-seven years old, Lutetian, formerly of the Monastic Order, currently works as a mercenary.’ You were raised in a wealthy family, until their demise. You turned to the Order for guidance and training, but fled before taking the vows. Smart girl. You turned to witch hunting until you realized that the world was more complicated than it seemed.” Pleased with himself, Morgan opened a drawer and put the page away, before turning to the next one.

“Pandora ‘DeSangue’ Boukoillos, human, twenty-two years old, Mydalsan. Daughter of Pallas, who was the son of Erebus. Raised just outside Mydalsa as a shepherd of sorts, until her village was slaughtered. I brought her to Lutetia before she could die there, though the men responsible for her care betrayed me and failed to deliver her. She found her way to Lutetia City on her own, where she was quickly taken in by the paladin Savien. You’ve been with the Order; you know how the rest of the story goes without your intervention. The reason for such urgency was their imminent departure for Mydalsa, where she would be in great danger. Any questions before we continue?”

"You certainly seem to do your homework," Eris smirked, "But what's it for? I get that my skills are of use to you, but why the girl? She doesn't seem like anything special."

She paused for a moment, letting her mind wander as she took in the details of the office.

"What about Savien? He's pretty attached to the barbarian girl from the sound of it. Won't he come looking for her? I mean, I couldn't care less if the Order ransacked my apartment. I'm sure they already knew where I lived. There's nothing of value left there besides a fresh gallon of milk in the fridge." She took a breath and hesitated before continuing. "I suppose thanks are in order for that point. I'm sure the Order would have gladly confiscated my belongings had you not had your men retrieve them."

“The girl means nothing to me, personally. I owed her grandfather a debt, and I always pay my debts. As for the Order, let them come. They’ve oppressed and attacked the innocent for far too long anyway. I owe them a debt, as well. I intend to repay them in blood.”

Eris raised an eyebrow at Morgan's comment about the Order. "Not a fan, huh?" she ventured, trying to read more about the man. "Sounds like you've got your fingers in a lot of different pies, buddy." She stretched out and turned to sit upright in the chair, meeting his eyes with a level gaze, "Something tells me I'm an ingredient in at least one of those pies, otherwise you wouldn't have brought me along so far. What's my next assignment?" One corner of her mouth twitched up into a sly grin as she completed her sentence.

“Your assignment will be to protect Pandora and my organization from the Order, should they pursue us further. Keep an eye on Savien. Perfect paladin or not, he’s likely to involve himself personally in this case. How you deal with him is up to you. Your first week’s pay is with your belongings, along with the key to your new apartment. Try to stay off the grid, this time.”

Her other eyebrow perked up. "House keys? Really... What is this organization I'm going to be working for then? Do I get the honor and privilege of knowing the name of my employing organization?" She waved one hand dismissively, "as for prettyboy, I'll handle him if we cross paths. It would be my pleasure."

Before settling back in her seat, Eris inserted one more question: "If the girl is to stay with me, how do you propose I keep her from running off or knocking down the walls?"

“I suppose you’ll have to talk to her. Surely it can’t be that hard?” Morgan smiled wryly down his long nose as he thumbed through more papers. “Aiglenoir is a small company that dabbles in natural commodities throughout Issunar. We trade from Lutetia to Iveria to the Cerulean Coast, but don’t concern yourself with that. Your job needn’t take you out of Lutetia unless you want it to. Start by talking to Pandora. Find out what she knows of the Paladins, and help her understand what they really are.” The man looked pained, and old, and his face turned tense. “Now, I need some time to go over the events of the past day. I must bid you farewell. On your way out, tell my secretary Laurine that I need my medicine.”

We're going to need to restrain that little beast if I'm to talk to her at all.

Eris nodded politely to Morgan as she stood and turned to the door. With one hand on the handle, she spoke away from the man.

"I trust that if I have any questions, I can direct them your way?"

Morgan’s gaunt face made his glare that much more intimidating.

“Yes. Now, please get out.”

as written by Peachy00Keen

Eris narrowed her eyes as she turned and left the old man in his office, closing the door behind her. Out in the hallway, Pandora’s wails could be heard echoing through the complex; it wasn’t difficult to follow the sound.

She found the girl in a room at the far end of the warehouse, sitting in a cushioned wooden chair, her arms and legs bound so she could not run off. Whether the fabric used to restrain her had purposely been tied loosely or she had loosened them with her wriggling and thrashing about, Eris could only guess. Laurine sat calmly in a chair across from Pandora, exhaustion creeping into her eyes. She turned her head and regarded Eris, who know stood in the doorway.

“Bossman’s looking for you. Says it’s time for his medicine,” Eris said casually gesturing a thumb in the direction from whence she had just come. “I’ll take over from here, if you don’t mind. Pandora and I have some acquainting to do, it would seem.”

Laurine nodded and silently rose and left the room. Eris took a seat where Laurine had been, keeping one eye on Pandora as she crossed the room. Pandora had stopped squirming and followed Eris with an arctic glare through viciously squinted eyes.

“You…” she began, her voice sharp, almost enough to conceal her loss for words as she hesitated to continue.

Eris, meanwhile, made herself comfortable in the chair, crossing one leg over a knee and resting her hands behind her head. She tilted the chair back on two legs and leaned against the wall behind her. “Yes, go on…” she coaxed, curious to see where the child would go with things. In fairness, she has every right to be upset with me. I’ll let her get it out of her system and then we’ll do things my way.

“You’re… a bad woman…” she ventured. She is nothing like Savien and the other paladins. She’s hard and cold and mean. I bet she just wants to tease me before she kills me, like a predator plays with its dinner…

“Oh, come now. I’m just like you – alone in this world, trying to make the best of things, living my life the only way I know how… I’m not much different from your Savien—“

“LIAR!” Pandora shouted, lurching forward with such force that her chair screeched an inch across the ground.

Eris put up her hands in a calming gesture, “easy, kiddo. I’m not lying. We had the same start, in the Order. We took the same classes, training, everything. I decided to leave instead of taking the silver. That place just didn’t feel like home to me, so I left to find someplace that did.”

Still watching with narrowed eyes, Pandora’s posture relaxed and seemed to open up ever so slightly.

“Even if that was true… You kidnapped me in the airport. You gave me something to put me to sleep, and you took me from Savien. I don’t even know where he is--” she gasped suddenly, “—or if he’s still alive!”

Eris shifted her position to sit forward in the chair, with all four of its feet on the ground. “Pandora, Savien is just fine. I gave him the same stuff I gave you, because I needed to make sure he wouldn’t follow us. There was no other way around it.”

“You act like he’s some kind of monster or an animal. All he’s ever done was keep me safe.”

“What he’s done, Pandora, is given you someone to cling to in this strange and dangerous place. You’re dependent on him, and you’re far from home. You and I both know that he couldn’t keep you forever. He was drawing enough attention as it was keeping you around as long as he has and as closely as he has. He took a vow.”

“He was bringing me home. He cared for me. He was going to make sure I was safe.”

“Pandora, Mydalsa is gone. He knew that, I know that, anyone who keeps up with current events knows that. You would have gone there, seen what was left of it, and then what? Come back here to Lutetia and be just as lost as before? Stay there and live in icy solitude?” Eris shook her head and inched her chair closer to the girl. Pandora recoiled back into her chair. Eris gave her a warmly reassuring smile.
“My dear, what you need is a guide or a friend, someone who can help you, not baby you and make you depend on them for every little thing.”

“He’s not like that…”

“When was the last time he gave you the opportunity to go out on your own? Has he told you how you got here? What happened to your home? Why you’re even here?”

Pandora was silent as she thought for a long, hard moment. Finally, she shook her head slowly. “I thought he was helping me…? I thought… I thought I could trust him.”

Eris reached out a hand and placed it on the girl’s shoulder. “I know. He thought he was doing the right thing. Initially, he may have been just what you needed, but as time went on, you needed to have independence, answers, connections. He was just doing what the Order taught him to do. Now I am here, and now I can help you as you need. Ask me any questions, and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.”

Pandora slumped in her seat, hanging her head in defeat. “Can you keep me safe and care for me like Savien did – at least until I can do it myself?” she asked, her voice almost a whimper.

“My dear, I can do all that and so much more,” she said with a caring smile as she squeezed the girl’s shoulder.

With a deep sigh, Pandora launched into a series of questions about Mydalsa, Eris, and why she was brought here. Eris told her truthfully what she knew about Mydalsa and why she had been brought to Eris’ keeping (to "bring her to her grandfather," as she put it), but when it came to information about Eris herself, it was a mix of half-truths and stories. Stay off the grid, he told me. I might as well set a good precedent now. There’s no knowing what she might repeat, and she certainly doesn’t need to know everything.

“I have a grandfather?” Pandora asked, genuinely surprised.

“Well of course. Everyone has at least two.”

“Where is he? What does he do? Why is he looking for me?”

“Slow down there, camper. I don’t know anything other than that he’s somewhere and he’s looking for you. Probably trying to get in touch with his family after what happened in your village. Makes sense to me, no?”

“I guess. I just never heard about any grandparents before, except one of them who died when I was younger. It’s kind of exciting, I guess, to know I’m not the only one left.”

Eris smiled and stood up. “You’re lucky. I would bet there aren’t many others out there with such good fortune as yours.” She walked around to the back of Pandora’s chair and began untying her restraints, a slight frown on her face now that she was out of sight. I wish I’d had the warm luxury of family instead of the cold embrace of musty air and cobblestone walls. “Let’s go check out our new digs, alright?”

“'New digs'?” she inquired, rubbing her wrists where the restraints had been.

“Yeah, looks like we’re going to be housemates for a while.” She untied the last restraint and helped Pandora to her feet. “I call top bunk,” she chided as she walked over to the desk against the wall at the back of the room. “Let me just write a quick note, okay?”

“Okay,” Pandora said quietly, stretching her legs. She contemplated making a run for it, but she knew there would probably be guards, and even if there weren’t, she wouldn’t know where to go once she was outside. With a small sigh, she decided to stay put, walking in small circles around the chair as she waited for Eris.

Writing the note didn’t take very long. Eris stood up from the desk and folded a small piece of paper.

“Ready to go, Pandi?”

“Pandi?”

“You.”

“Oh, right. Yes.”

“Alright, come on then.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

They turned and walked out of the room, Pandora trailing close behind Eris. As they walked, Pandora thought about how strange Eris’ words were, and Eris thought about how oddly submissive Pandora had come, given how wild she had been when she first sat down with the barbarian girl. Strange, they both thought to themselves.

Before leaving the compound, Eris slipped the note she had written under Morgan’s door.

Morgan,

I’ve talked with Pandora and she seems to have calmed down. Her initial responses seem to indicate that she’s agreed with me that Savien is a bad influence and has wronged her somehow. I left the ‘how’ rather vague, but that doesn’t seem to bother her. I’ll continue this idea at home. She also seems to be keen on meeting her grandfather. I almost envied the look of relief I saw on her face when I told her she had surviving family. Good thing I stopped caring about that long ago.
I’m taking her back to the house. I guess I’ll wait there until I hear from you again. Here’s to hoping I don’t have to buy another fresh gallon of milk.

-- Eris

***​

Pandora had seemed almost excited when Eris had showed her to the seat of her motorcycle. It was a tight squeeze to get both of them on there, since it was significantly smaller than the Order-issued Destriers, but Pandora was small enough that the two of them squeezed on there without too much issue. Once they were situated on the bike, Eris drove to the address Morgan had given her. The drive took seemingly forever, though he had written out instructions on how to get there, fortunately not leaving anything to chance.

Eventually, they reached the address. Eris slowed her bike to a rumbling stop at the foot of a massive wrought iron gate. A call box sat on a nearby stone pillar. She opened it up and instead of an intercom, the box featured a number pad. She typed in what she realized was meant to be a PIN and not a zip code, and the gates groaned open.

“Damn. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this,” Eris muttered as she eased the bike through the gates, which closed with a loud clang behind them. The drive before her was flanked with trees branching off every now and then. She couldn’t see any houses, but she drove onward anyway, looking for “Courtier Drive.” She eventually found it, one of the branching drives off of the main one. She followed it to the end and came up to a cobblestone cottage. She shuddered at the sight of the masonry. “Bastard…” she mumbled and she killed the engine and hopped off the bike. “Come on, Pandora, I think this is it.” The two of them walked up to the front door and Eris tried the key. The door unlocked and they wandered inside.

It was quiet and oddly quaint inside the house. What looked like generational hand-me-down furniture gave the space a lived-in look. There was a dining room, a living room, a kitchen, and stairs that led up to a second floor. Eris tossed the keys on the nearest table and bee-lined it for the kitchen. She opened the pantry to find it fully stocked with bread, cereal, fruit, and some other basic items. The fridge was similarly well-stocked, including a fresh gallon of milk.

“Bastard,” she repeated as she shut the door. Eris turned and noticed Pandora was no longer downstairs. She was about to call out for her when she heard a thump from the floor above. She followed the noise to one of two bedrooms upstairs, where Pandora was opening and closing drawers on a dresser. “What are you doing?” she asked, as if she hadn’t just been doing the same thing.

“Looking. Everything has stuff in it,” she explained, pulling out a sweater from one of the drawers and holding it up to her chest. “See? It’s like someone went shopping for us. Your room has clothes in it, too. It’s bigger than mine.” With that, she turned back to the drawers and promptly ignored Eris.

Eris rolled her eyes and walked across the house to what she imagined was meant to be her room. Sure enough, it was bigger than Pandora’s, about twice the size, in fact. It even had an attached bathroom with a modern finish, complete with marble tiled floors and vanity lights over the mirror. Much to her horror, there was also an assortment of makeup. “Oh, please, no…” She muttered, shaking her head as she walked over to the closet, only confirming her fears when she opened the accordion door only to find it full of dresses. “That bastard! I hope he knows I’d sooner burn these abominations than wear them.” She slammed the closet shut, leaving the door to rattle uncomfortably in its track, as she stormed over to her dresser. She opened the drawers to find jeans, tee shirts, slacks, and sweaters. “Good.” She slammed the drawer and flopped down on the bed. As much as she wanted to complain, it was the most comfortable bed she’d ever felt. Kicking off her shoes, she hoisted herself all the way onto the mattress, and before a minute had passed, she was asleep.

as written by Ronin

Savien had been busy since Pandora's kidnapping.

Perhaps busy was an understatement. Busy implied a comparative contrary - something to differentiate the business from respite, the work from rest. Five to six hours of sleep a night, for example. A meal taken sitting down. Such luxuries were beyond Savien, the paladin now spearheading not only two high-profile investigations (one of which centered around the Lutetian equivalent of the boogeyman, no less) but now also personally overseeing the search for Pandora. The workload was exhausting, his days spent travelling the city, interviewing citizens, pursuing leads, his nights spent in the Monastery, analyzing evidence and connecting clues. He ate on the go, taking sirene by the vialfull to keep himself moving. Sleep came in sporadic bunches - an hour here after an interview, two there while he waited lab results.

She haunted his dreams. They all did. He saw them lined up in chairs and bound with rope - Miranda and Isabelle, Nicole, Nathan, Celeste, the boy from Carseau. Pandora. He lay on the floor, a needle in his shoulder, his limbs as dumb and heavy as millstones. They called to him. All of them, bound, pleading, begging for his help, begging to be saved, but his arms and legs would not obey his thoughts and he could move forward only by slow, painful wriggles.

Then he would come in. He of the frost eyes and the pale skin and the wide, smiling lips. One by one he stooped over them all and unhinged his jaw like a python as they wept and begged and prayed and one by one he swallowed them until they were all gone, all except him. The monster dabbed at his mouth with a handkerchief and waltzed over to him and brought his reeking lips close to his ear.

"So you're only human after all..."

---

His work had been fruitful, at least. It'd been difficult, but Savien finally had a lead on Pandora's kidnappers. He'd snagged the license plate on the escape car from the airport video cameras. The registration itself was a dead end, belonging to a fictitious Iverian immigrant, 'Maris Bulc', with an abandoned address in Cascastel inhabited by junkies and vendors. The name meant virtually nothing to the Order's archives. Luckily, Savien had other means of procuring information. Two days interrogating hustlers with vague connections to the property revealed another pseudo-name related to Bulc's - 'Kant le Faye'. This name, at least, had some records behind it. Evidently le Faye owned several properties throughout the city and surrounding countryside, from small one-bedroom apartments to enormous mansion homes. A visit to each of the city-bound properties revealed that most of them weren't lived in, taken care of by a weekly cleaning crew and otherwise left vacant. The near exhausted list of houses left only a couple country residencies outside city limits, the first of which appeared to be a cottage just of Courtier Drive. In truth, the paladin didn't have much faith in the lead, but it was all he had to go on. Besides, a drive through the country might do him some good.

Questioned knawed at Savien as he rumbled his destrier through the hillside. What sort of man could afford a half dozen homes but never lived in any of them? What did his pseudonames mean - 'Maris Bulc'? 'Le Faye'? Perhaps most curious of all, what did he want with Pandora? The poor girl hadn't been in Lutetia for a month. There simply hadn't been any time for her to make enemies. A figure from her past, then?

And who was the facilitator of her kidnapping? The girl that drugged him in the airport? Having nothing to go on but her face, Savien hadn't had much luck in identifying her. Only one of his contacts thought he might have known her as a contracted monster hunter who'd done work for a friend of his years back, ridding a local swamp of a ghoul infestation. A freelance hunter? Such a profession found work mainly in the outlying Lutetian towns and hamlets where paladins rarely ventured, but in the city itself? Far less common. They had paladins to compete with, and paladins were typically better trained, better equipped and worked for free. What relation did she have in all of this? A pawn hired to do the dirt work, or someone with invested interest in Pandora herself?

Savien approached the wrought-iron gates with a million questions brewing in his head. He rumbled his bike up to box, glaring at the keypad and lack of 'call' button. What, no intercom? He peered at the stretching fence of metal surrounding the property. Unlikely that he would find an alternative entrance. Only one thing to do. He mashed all the buttons.

"Hello?" he called out on the off chance there was a speaker he couldn't see. No answer. Damn. On the bright side, Savien had a warrant to search the premise, among two other properties - an easy thing to get once the paladin had demonstrated a link between Le Faye on the kidnappings. On the other hand, there was no way the paladin was going to get his bike through that fence. He would have to hoof it.

Sighing, Savien dismounted and locked his destrier on the side of the road. He hopped the fence with a heave, hefting all twenty-plus pounds of his armor and equipment over the wrought-iron barrier. Back on the road, he walked until he caught sight of the cottage.

The paladin made a brief scan of the premise, analyzing every window and doorway, before he approached the entrance. He was about to beat the oakwood door with his mailed fist when he saw a doorbell to his left. Hm. He pushed that instead. Much more civilized.

as written by Peachy00Keen

Eris heard the doorbell ring and her hair stood on end. Something told her that creepy old Morgan wouldn't waltz up to her door and ring the bell. Additionally, the neighborhood hadn't seemed particularly bustling with life and hospitality. For no good reason whatsoever, the sudden presence of a curious neighbor brought her great unease. To make matters worse, she had to keep Pandora under close guard. Speaking of...

"What's that?" Pandora called from her room, where she was now waist-deep in clothes she had removed from the dresser.

"Nothing, I'll take care of it. It's probably just Morgan," she lied smoothly. Moving quickly, she slipped out of her clothes and -- begrudgingly -- into one of the more casual dresses hanging in her closet. "I don't know who all lives around here yet, so I'm just gonna play it safe." Eris looked across the room, into the bathroom, at the makeup sitting on the sinktop. She groaned and rolled her eyes as she rushed over and hastily threw on some lipstick. She looked at the mascara and decided against it, reaching instead for an eyeliner pencil, with which she gave herself a beauty mark on her cheekbone. "If you hear a scuffle or a gunshot," she swept a sun hat up from a stand near the dresser, "stay upstairs, because I don't plan on dying today," and I don't want you running off.

Pandora had turned to watch across the hall as she heard Eris running around. When she saw the dark, serious woman emerge from her room wearing a knee-length powder pink polka dot dress, lipstick, and a hat, her existing confusion deepened. "Uh, okay..." she said insipidly as she watched her drift down the stairs. Pandora blinked a few times before going back to looking through the things in her room. "I don't think she's all there..." she muttered to herself, shaking her head.

Downstairs, Eris hollered toward the front door in a high-pitched voice. "Coming! Coming! Hold your horses, goodness!" Shuffling up to the door in the most over-the-top girly way she could muster. She peeped through the window in the door and saw none other than Savien. Her stomach dropped a full six feet into the ground beneath her feet and she had to bite down hard on her tongue to keep her reaction from spilling out verbally.

SHIT! What is he doing here??? Okay. OKAY. Stay calm. Breathe. Good thing you dressed up like a... well, not like you. Good start. Now keep the attitude dressed up, as much as you want to knock out his lights. Breathe. ... It's been too long since you last said something. Say something. Stall if you can...

Eris reached out and jostled the deadbolt on the door, pretending it was stuck. "Oh, goodness me... This silly old lock. You know how the weather is to old houses -- bad, bad, bad." She giggled nervously to herself, only half of it an act. "Can I help you with something today? I mean, can I answer anything for you? I'm so sorry about this silly door..."

as written by Ronin and Peachy00Keen

Savien listened closely to the commotion inside the house, but couldn't make much out other than garbled dialogue. Eventually reached the door and explained - sort of - the situation.

"Ah. No worries," he cleared his throat, "my name is Sir Savien Durandet. I was hoping to ask you a few questions, if you have a moment."

She certainly wasn't like any of the maids or housekeepers he'd run into before. Far too much personality. She sounded rushed. Nervous? There was a slight hitch in her breath. Had she been exercising before this?

"Perhaps I could come in through the back door?" he suggested.

____

Eris jiggled the lock once more and propped her foot on the back of the door. "No, no, I've almost got it. Just one more second..." She tugged the door a couple of times, her foot stopping it as if it were swollen in its frame. Finally, she let it budge open. Her face was flushed, her hair messy, and her hat askew. She stood in the doorway, breathing hard, staring at Savien. She smoothed her dress and straightened her hat, clearing her throat. "I'm so sorry about the door," she mewed. "May we talk while I check the mail?"

The mailbox was at the end of the long drive, which would give them plenty of time to talk outdoors. Eris did a mental check to reassure herself of the knife and pistol harnessed to her legs, beneath her fluffy pink skirt.

"You said 'Sir' before your name. Are you, um, a knight? -- Ooh, are you one of those special guardsmen from out in the city?" she asked, walking on tiptoes, as if wearing dainty little shoes on her actually-bare feet. "I apologize again for the wait at the door. You caught me by surprise. I was taking a little afternoon nap," she added, trying to keep the subject away from whatever he wanted to talk about. "I'm a right mess after a nap, wholly unsuitable for meeting other persons, you know. Thank you for waiting." She stopped on the path and offered a hand out for him to shake. "I'm Marie, by the way," she said with a smile befitting her chipper masquerade. She continued walking down the lane at a slow, quickened step, like a small dog. "How did you manage to find this little neighborhood? The gate keeps most people out," she pressed, still keeping her pleasant demeanor but looking straight ahead, passively scanning the trees as if looking for a bird or a deer.

Alright, so far, so good. He doesn't appear to have brought any backup, and if he did, they're extremely well-hidden or farther down the lane. As for how he got here, I didn't see or hear his behemoth of a bike, so he must have walked. Could he have hopped that fence?? I thought he was above the petty crime of trespassing. Well, well. Look who finally decided to grow a pair.

Eris fought to keep the sneer off of her face and was grateful she walked slightly ahead of Savien. Snapping back into her charade, she turned and glanced over her shoulder at him, slowing her pace to keep with his. She smiled warmly.

____

It was difficult for Savien to get a good look at her face with her hat on and her hair disarrayed. Still couldn't see her eyes. He shook her hand. Goodness, she was a mess - talking too fast, changing the subject, avoiding eye contact ... 'Marie', as she called herself, certainly didn't seem to have things together. Suspicious? Perhaps ... or the opposite. Would an accomplice of a wealthy kidnapper really perform this poorly in front of law enforcement? In Savien's experience, deceit and facades came smooth and easy to hardened criminals. Either Marie was the worst kidnapper in the world, or she was no kidnapper at all. One way or another, he would find out.

"Yes, a paladin," he said, "I'm pursuing a lead. I just have a few questions - shouldn't take too much of your time." He followed her out to her mailbox. He decided to keep his warrant a secret for now. People often became less cooperative after learning their questioner had court-ordered permission to enter their home.

"How long have you lived here?"

____

"Well, I just moved in here recently," she said squeakily. "It's a nice place, I guess. Seems quiet and mostly out of the way. Why do you ask?" As she spoke, she kept moving ahead at a purposeful pace.

The mailbox was about 50 meters ahead at the end of their drive. I didn't really think about this before I started walking out here, but I hope there's mail in there. Her nerves had relaxed a bit. Maybe it was the role, maybe it was the distance they now had between themselves and the house, but Eris -- "Marie" -- felt more comfortable about the situation, if not almost amused by it.

____

"I'm investigating a case," he explained as they walked together, "a missing person. I think they may have been taking to somewhere in this region." He glanced ahead at the mailbox. "Do you own this property?"

He came forward a step closer and focused on her face, trying to get her to turn towards him and fully reveal herself.

____

"Oh, no, sir," she replied.
There's no point in trying to lie about that. He'd ask for the deed and I don't have it. Hmm...
"I think I remember the landlord's number though, if you have a piece of paper. He could probably be more help to you than I could be."
What number could I give him. I don't have Morgan's number, and even if I did, like hell I'd give it to this loser. What was my old landlord's number...?

Eris recited the phone number, ending as she reached the mailbox. "As for a missing person, I haven't seen anyone around here that didn't seem to belong. Like I said, I only moved in recently, but it's a pretty quiet neighborhood, if you can even call it that." She smoothed her skirt as she bent over to peer into the mailbox.
"I do hope you find whomever it is you're looking for, though. I assume whoever it is you're looking for is someone's child. A child all alone in the world is such a sad state. I wouldn't wish it on anyone." For once in Eris' act, the tone of sympathy in her voice was genuine. Her stomach hurt.

Oh, come on. Don't start this now. We've been over this a million and one times. They're dead. You did what you had to. The only reason you're alive now is because they aren't, and it isn't your fault. Suck it up and stick to your job. Pandora's family is dead, too, so don't even consider that route of sympathy. You're going soft.

She retrieved a rolled up newspaper and some junk mail from the box and closed its door with a squeak. Eris turned and walked back toward the house, her head down, flipping through one of the magazines that had come in the mail.
"I will keep an eye out for any strange activity, but if you please, I have a lot of unpacking and some tidying up to do, sir. Are there any other questions I can answer for you?"

____

"It's your landlord I'm worried about, demoiselle," Savien followed her, still unable to get a good look at her face, "I'm concerned that he may have something to do with it - or otherwise has been inadvertently scooped up into all this." He memorized the number but didn't make any move for his phone.

"A child all alone in the world is such a sad state. I wouldn't wish it on anyone."

"I..." he stopped himself. They were at the door. Eris would not be able to see Savien's eyes behind his visor, but he looked as if he were staring at the ground, lost in thought. When he resumed speaking, his voice was low and quiet. "...nor I. Not on anyone." He looked up at her. "She is not a child, but she is alone. I swore to protect her. I will." He gestured at the interior. "May have a look around, demoiselle? I assure you I won't be too long."

as written by RAmenAmen, Peachy00Keen, and Ronin

“By all means, take a look around, Sir,” came a voice from inside. Following the voice came a slender man with a long black ponytail that hung down to the middle of his back. His youthful face was marred only by a long nose and weary hazel eyes more suited for a grandparent than a man no older than thirty-five. A pair of glasses were tucked neatly into the breast pocket of his jacket, which seemed just slightly too large for his wiry frame. The man stepped forward toward Savien awkwardly, as if both excited to greet him and simultaneously embarrassed at the attention.

“Renard Foutueuse,” he said in the same jittery voice, holding out a bony hand. “I see you’ve already met my wife.”

____

Eris looked at the man as discreetly as possible. It was Morgan. It... was Morgan... right? It seemed that his peppered hair had been dyed black and his face had been covered by excellent concealing makeup -- or maybe makeup had been removed. She had no idea which one it was. Not wanting to stall awkwardly, Eris forced herself to continue the act, in spite of her burning desire to analyze her employer.

"Mon chou! When did you get home?" Marie asked with an excited squeak as she threw her arms around her husband. "Before you say anything, he did not follow me here. I have no clue how he even found this damn place," she hissed quietly in his ear.

She turned her attention back to Savien, still hiding her face from him by the wide brim of her hat: "Come in," she gestured, taking a step aside from the doorway.

Once she and Morgan stood behind Savien's back, Eris met the strange man's eyes and silently mouthed, "what the hell is going on??"

Morgan simply regarded Eris with a cool and level gaze and gestured with a tilt of his head for her to follow and see for herself.

____

The paladin's attention snapped to the new arrival. Slender build, bookish looking. No visible weapons nor anything hidden beneath his clothes that could be made out. He seemed excited, a tad sheepish. Common reactions from country folk meeting a paladin. Everything about him seemed genuine. Savien took his hand.

"Mr. Foutueuse, a pleasure," Savien nodded, "I am Sir Durandet. Thank you for letting me in your home." The paladin stepped inside, unclasping his helmet and tucking it beneath his arm. He smoothed a metal-clad hand through the peaks of his black hair, only slightly damp with sweat. Etiquette demanded he remove his helmet, though Savien always felt somewhat vulnerable after lifting the protective covering.

"And yes, I've had the pleasure of meeting your wife. She tells me you've only recently moved in. I won't take up too much of your time," he nodded to Eris. Renard's presence at least confirmed his suspicions about her not being alone in the house. Savien had distinctly heard dialogue before Marie had opened the door. "You are renting this property from a Mr. Kant le Faye, correct? Have you met the man personally?"

____

“Mr. le Faye, yes. He seemed kind enough, if a bit distant,” Morgan replied smoothly, keeping up the character of excitable commoner. “Though, I guess I’ve never met a friendly landlord.” He chuckled nervously. “There I go again, babbling when I should be welcoming you into our humble home. Come in, stay as long as you like. Dear, would you go put on a pot of tea? She makes an excellent chamomile, best I’ve had.” He continued his rambling while leading Savien through the living room to the dining room, while Eris left for the kitchen. Pulling out a chair for the armored paladin, Morgan invited him to sit.

“I’m afraid I don’t know much about Mr. le Faye aside from his name in the home listings. We saw this quaint little place at a price we couldn’t say no to, and here we are. You don’t think there’s something wrong with the house, do you? We’d hate to have to move so soon.”

____

"Your hospitality honors me," Savien replied, "but I must decline tea. I cannot stay long." He tried to sound apologetic, but it came out in a near monotone. Conversation with decent, God-fearing folk was never Savien's forte. He almost wished they'd pulled a gun on him. Much less awkward.

"I'm glad you were able to get a hold of him," the paladin continued on the subject of Mr. le Faye, "I haven't had as much luck. I've been travelling his properties trying to find him." His cleared his throat. "Do you know much about the man? Your wife gave me his number. I wonder if there are any other ways of finding this gentleman?" Savien's brows furrowed. "I'm very eager to speak with him."

____

Morgan frowned, as if thinking to himself. "Oh!" he exclaimed. "There is the address I send the rent to. Do you think that would be helpful?" Hastily, he took a sheet of paper from the dining table (still half-covered with yet-to-be-unpacked boxes and papers) and scribbled down the address. 147 Garlot Road, a large estate roughly an hour east of Lutetia.

"Is there anything else we can do for you, Sir?"

____

Savien received the note with a thanks. Good. It was another lead, at the least. His trip hadn't been entirely fruitless.

"If it's alright, I'll take a brief look around," he continued, "you've only recently moved in, and I believe it's possible there maybe something left behind that would be of use to me." The paladin was half tempted to just leave these good people be, but he knew he would regret exiting before he gave the cottage a more thorough once-over. He was confident he wouldn't find anything ... but, worst case scenario, he could confidently exhaust another lead.

With their permission, Savien conducted a brief but thorough search of the house. He found nothing that might give him any clue as to Pandora's whereabouts. He was a bit surprised to find the home absent of any personal anecdotes - no pictures, family heirlooms or keepsakes, things that make a home personalized. He supposed they were still moving in... But then, where were the boxes? Perhaps they were still carrying things over.

His search completed, Savien thanked the couple and left. The hunt continued.

____

The door of the cottage closed behind Savien and the house was silent for a good five minutes as Eris waited anxiously until she was certain the paladin was out of earshot. She let out a long breath and removed her sun hat in frustration, setting it on the dining room table. Her hands tensed and her nails grazed the wood, leaving little streaks in the finish.

"I don't know how that bastard found us or what he's going to do when he finds out that the leads we gave him are both dead ends, but if that's how he shows up on a casual investigation, I'm going to need more firepower than a half-rate pistol and a shitty little knife." Eris haphazardly tossed her weapons on the table next to her hat. Silence followed again as she stared at the grain of the table in contemplation.

Snapping back to attention abruptly, Eris turned to look at Morgan with narrowed eyes. "Where's the kid? She was in her room, waist-deep in clothes when I left her. If the little animal so much as smelled Savien, she would have gone berserk."

as written by Script, Knosis, and Emperor Jester

Continued from earlier...

Once the door was open, Nox would greet them, nothing but smiles. He'd been right outside the door, of course. Probably listening. And he was absolutely beeming. Far happier than he had been not ten minutes before, when the Caer had stormed out on his most beloved of offspring. "Oh good!" He'd boom, "I was hoping you'd be done soon! I do get impatient when I'm made to wait too long!"

This was their mercurial patriarch, after all. Perhaps the anger had been a ruse. Maybe the joy he showed them now was. Noemi had seen under his veils, not all of them, but most. She knew that, no matter how large, how loud, how otherworldly beautiful he was, he wasn't human. And neither were his whims and moods. "Now, we can get to it! I want to see what my children have become capable of! If I don't know these things, well, how can I ever hardly hope to prepare my son for the coming war? Or my daughter, the one I almost lost to treacherous kindred beings? Come now, Nathan, help yourself and your sister into the waters."

Finally, a pause in his speel. "Now. Hurry."

The woman physically shivered at the change in the air around the Caer Lord. She shifted her weight to be more comfortable for hanging on Nathan. Her legs couldn't bare her weight at all, and she relied heavily on her new brother on movement. The silk night gown covered a majority of her skin, coming to a stop just above her ankles. Her ice hues locked on to her father, boring into his own. Even the air seemed to chill slightly with her silent defiance.

Nox changed manner was equally disturbing to Nathan, who was beginning to strongly suspect that his new 'father' was far from sound of mind. He fixed the Caer with a confused stare, then looked over at the lake.

"Into... the lake?" he questioned incredulously. "In the middle of winter..? We'll freeze to-"

Oh. Right.

"... nevermind. But still..." The boy's hesitation was clear. He wasn't so used to his new nature yet that he didn't balk at the idea of striding into a frozen lake.

An annoyed click of his tongue at the resistance. "Come now. I don't have time for the proper pomp that Father always put in to these things, nor do we have the time to wait until you're ready. Noemi needs her legs and to discover her Gift. The latter goes for you as well Nathan. And this is the quickest way. So."

This time his words were laced with a gently nudging compulsion. "Into the water. It is properly blessed. It didn't take long, never does, but I've already made this place our new home, but we have to finish this part before the sun rises. Which is not too far off." Then, Nox would begin to strip, minus his fine linen slacks. "I'll be joining, so don't you worry, but hurry. The Mirror calls."

The woman raised a thin brow, but glanced at Nathan from the corner of her eyes and shrugged slightly to reassure him she was okay with going foward. She knew by now, nothing Nox ever promised or hinted at ever came without a price, and she had been willing to pay it thus far. For her legs, what other part of her soul must she damn for this man? "Maybe as we're getting into the water," She stressed," it can be explained what is going on, father? We are a bit.. Naive still, in the methods of our family."

Sighing, Nathan turned back to the water with trepidation. "Fine. I suppose," he murmured, starting forwards towards the water. Blessed? This part? The Mirror? What did it all mean? What gift was Nox talking about?

Despite his questions, he moved forwards. The water started to lap at his feet, and despite himself, he was surprised when the bitter cold barely caused him the slightest discomfort. He belatedly cursed that he hadn't stopped to remove at least his shoes, but his legs continued to carry him forward without pause, into the icy depths.

"Naive is an understatement," he added as he walked. "I barely even know what we are..."

The classes on vampires and the Caer were, perhaps understandably, a lot less comprehensive at Delacroix than they were at the Monastery.

"Its useless explaining it. Not when it'll happen so much faster than we can expect. I don't even know what to expect! This was always Father's task. I merely watched now and again, if I was recieving new soldiers, or if Nyx was recieving new spies. Whatever it is, it will be quick, I assure y-"

Then. The world would disappear for them. Each of them. As if pulled under the water, into an endless pool of deep, dark, murky black. An abyss that seemed to stretch forever, with only a pinprick of pale blue light some way in the distance. Getting slowly closer, but at such a rate it would be scarcy noticable. It would feel like they were swimming, like they were floating, with something holding them down. And both of them were alone. So alone, but oddly enough, could still feel each others presence, which, perhaps, signaled that the two Lower Caer were closer to eachother than they thought.

But there was absolutely no sign of Nox. Not even an inkling of his aura.

The suddeness had taken Noemi by surprise, and a gasp had left her lips as she was pulled into the abyss. Darkness surrounded her fully, and there was no sign of Nox for guidance. She turned her gaze for her newborn brother, and found she was alone. Although, he was close as she could sense him.

She began to try to push herself through the water with just her arms in the direction of where she thought he'd be.

A half-scream escaped Nathan at the plunge into the dark, panic gripping him for a moment as his body screamed that it was drowning, before his mind recalled that he had no need to breathe. When he finally calmed himself enough to take in just 'where' he now was, the panic threatened to return immediately.

Adrift in an endless abyss of nothing, being weighed down by something unseen, kept in the depths. Though he felt the presence of the woman he'd been supporting, she was nowhere to be seen, and nor was the Caer himself.

Primal instinct kicked in, and Nathan fixated on the light in the distance. The only thing there was to focus on. He kicked out, flailing towards it clumsily. Of course, the poor boy had never learned to swim, so progress was... slow, at best.

Something in the inky void seemed to approve of their choices. The light grew brighter, but grew no closer than its progress was already carrying it. One moved towards family, one moved towards power. Perfect compliments to the House of Caer. A cold began to seep into the blank nothing around them, an unnatural chill so unlike the one that each of them housed. This cold was even beyond that of their Father. Or of his Father. This seemed to be a chill of Winter, with no other way to explain it.

Far off, something moved on its own accord in the dark. Something that had sensed them, and moved to intercept. Around the two, snow began to fall, small flakes and infrequent.

The woman shivered involuntarily at the sudden frigidness of the dark around her. The change unnerved her slightly, even as she turned to watch with confusion the fragile crystals. She turned still, her blue hues searching the depths. She was sure, despite how close Nathan felt, she wouldn't find him. Whatever Nox had in store for her, she was facing alone.

Nathan's eyes widened at the bitter cold, freezing where the waters of the lake had been scarcely chilled. His swimming stopped as he drew his arms close to his body in an attempt to retain warmth, staring around at the drifting snowflakes.

A hand reached out to brush against one of the motes of ice, catching it in his palm.

As the light drew closer, the strength of its shine and the frequency of its pulse would only grow. The darkness would soon begin to fade around the, the glow from the mysterious pinpoint of cyan seeking to drive back the murky, cloying abyss. As the shadows receeded, the intensity of the snow shifted from a light powdering fall to a full on blizzard.

And thats when the voices would start. So many voices, but all of them coming from one source. The same source of all things in this void.

The pale blue light.

Screams and whispers and pleas, in so many languages, countless, unintelligable. A cacaphony of voices. Eventually, Noemi and Nathan might begin to tune out the mysterious, unknown tones. Perhaps picking up on the cries of those they might recognize, or even know. They might even hear their own names being called. Being begged for mercy. Curses being flung at them. Perhaps these were the tormented calls of those they had wronged, or more likely, those who they had not yet wronged, but may in the future. But one voice would pierce through all the others, just as they began to grow to a maddening volume.

"Consume them all. Let no living soul, escape your claws, your fangs, your hunger. Bring all those who harbor life a swift end, in the name of Endless Winter. This is your task. Your only task. Do. Not. Fail."

This would not be a request. There would only be one way to interpret those few words. This was a command. An order. To make it all the more strange, once again, they'd both simply know that these instructions came not from their Patriarch, their Sire. This was a command given to them by something ancient, something primordial.

The woman's eyes narrowed, finally shifting her full attention to the growing light. The noises, the voices.. She tried to block them out, her hands covering her ears futilely. Make it stop... She thought to herself, her teeth grinding, her anger flaring as the winter raged on around her.

The voices paled in comparison to the commands that came. Noemi hissed as her head began to pound, but there was little to be done. But what it had commanded, the didn't sound half bad for her. To make the world silent, to bring silence to all of the chaos she had been brought in..

That had been her plan from the beginning of all this.

As the voices came, Nathan balked, shaking his head and crying out. He clapped his hands over his ears to try and block them out, but to no avail. "Stop it!" he cried into the darkness, screwing his eyes closed and hunching over. "No, no... I don't want to hurt anyone. I won't. I won't do it." His voice was little more than a whimper, and even that defiance was hard to come by in the wake of that booming voice.

Could he even actually refuse something so powerful? He felt so very, very small just contemplating it. What was his will in the face of this ancient being? The reality was that the answer was simple.

It was nothing.

To both of the unfortunate souls trapped in the darkest of places, the light would transform before their eyes. It seemed to be an eye, a single, baleful orb, larger and brighter than anything they might've ever known. It was without a pupil, without an iris, it just seemed to be comprised of a scintillating cyan, impossible to distinguish if it had a solid form or was merely energy. Still, it was an eye none the less.

From the darkness below, there would come a sound like rushing water and torrential winds. A disturbing long, crooked, clawed apendage would reach towards the two of them, the left hand for Nathan, the right hand for Noemi. Each finger would be a gnarled thing, grotesque and inhuman with far too many joints. The flesh would be something beyond white, a shimmering shade that seemed to fluxuate constantly from a snowy sheen to a color similar to that of a starless night. A night without light, or warmth, or life itself. And the sheer size of it! Each withered finger would be a tower before them, a tower topped with scythe-like talons made of the blackest of ice.

That same voice would pound at their minds, tear at the fragments of their souls they had left, before whispering a final word to each of them. To Nathan, it was rune, a glyph that froze behind his eyes that spoke to the child of endless winters and a frozen hear. To Noemi, it was a mark, a grotesque etching scorched into her mind that begged her to look into the minds of others, consume their minds, drag their minds into the shadows.

The fingers would close around them, a cage of eldritch divinity whose's mere presence pulled and ripped at whatever they had left of their spiritual wholeness. The eye would appear before them, its light blinding, beyond blinding, so bitteraly and unforgively cold. Nothing would ever compare again to this. The gaze their black blood, their unnatural flesh, their minds, time itself. To them, it would be forever indistinguishable between an eternity, and the briefest seconds every recorded in history.

And then, their eyes would open, and the real world would rush back around them, as their Father dragged them out of the baptism, and onto the shore in silence. There was power in them now. Nox could feel it. Nox had seen all they had seen, and the emotional display on his features were a mixture of pride and fear. He'd seen that eye his whole life, and the Caer lord both pitied and envied those who get to experience it only once. Now, his Lowborn Children were complete.

Now, they only needed to be trained.

"The Eye of Winter watches us all children. Never forget." Those would be his words as he placed them on the sands before taking a seat between them, simultaneously solemn and overjoyed.

The light of the eye pierced through Nathan's eyelids, prompting him to crack them open to steal a glimpse at it. The sight of it instilled in him a sense of dreadful awe, and though he understood it not, he knew it to be at once great and terrible. Ironically, the horrific visage and the approach of its ghastly limb stilled the panic in his breast. The fight left him as he realised just how futile any form of struggle was, resulting in a numb acceptance of what was to come.

Still, he shook and trembled at the voice's onslaught, but his fear was subdued. Tears formed in his eyes, only to freeze before they fell, drifting away into the darkness. The rune came, and with it a gasp, as the last vestiges of warmth were expelled from his body. A palpable sense of loss came over him in a rush, and yet he couldn't tell what it was that was gone.

He drew his arms around his chest as the fingers closed upon him, that cold and passionless fear holding him as surely as the cage. And then the eye was there staring into him even as he gaped up at it, searching for a scream that never came. The being's gaze was all but tangible, piercing through him and laying open everything that he was, had been, and would become.

And then it was over.

Nathan trembled as he was set upon the shore, clutching at the dirt and staring at the ground. The vision of that eye was seared into his mind, and he could scarcely move. He knelt there on all fours, shaking, for long moments before he dared raise his head and sit back. It escaped his notice that the earth where his hands had been placed had frozen over completely.

"What... is it?" He whispered, still staring straight ahead.

Noemi had known fear for a while, but it had been hidden under the rage she held for her father. But the fear she now felt standing before the gaze of the giant organ swept any of the rage she had. Now stuck with panic stricken fear and terrible awe over the being that now appeared before her, she could do little but stand there and continue to watch.

She flinched as the voice once again came to her. She felt as though the rest of what she, Noemi that is, was torn away, as fickle a thing as a crumpled leaf on an autumn day. As fickle as the little warmth Noemi had left before this creature came into her life. What came in place was a cold that threatened to freeze her in place, with the etching that was scorched into her mind blazing in her memory for all eternity.

She wanted to be free of this. She wanted to return to the house and never leave the insides again, if only it meant she never had to endure this again. Her wish was granted soon afterward. Shivering as her new 'brother' was, she involuntarily leaned against her father, her legs moving to help support her weight. There was an odd feeling though, a thought that hadn't fully formed almost. She looked to Nathan. For some odd reason, although she knew he was afraid and for good reason, she -knew- his fear. Felt it coming from him, even.

And her father, the mixed emotions from him as well. It sickened her stomach to know that he was more than elated to have had the pair of them go through the torment they had just been part of. But it confused her to feel the solumness as well, as if it were an end of something.

"What..." She muttered. "What is.. this..?"

"Its the beginning, dear child." Nox would begin to explain, place a hand on each of their heads. The smile he wore was only tempered by the sadness behind his eyes. "And that was...well...Father never really told us its name. He only told us that it was his messiah. It was what gave our family power. Power to rule. It was his god, and Father was ours, and now, it is mine."

Their father rose then, eyes cast down so as to never lose them from his sight. "This is not meant to trivialize, but to explain. You both recieved the barest whisper of its attention. The ritual that transformed me lasted seven nights. It never leaves my dreams. Its voice never leaves my head, even more so since I welcomed you to the family, Noemi. It is a gnawing, hungry diety, and it will demand blood from you, both your own, and that of others."

The smile, one of genuine pride, soon became twisted by a sick, sadistic glee. "And it will make you like it. Crave it. Some, its voice reaches less than others. My family always said I got it the worse, aside from the firstboy and one of my younger sisters. Before you ask, no, I don't know how powerful your urges will be. I no longer know much of anything about you two. For the most part...you've been replaced. You're still my children, and everything we experienced together was still real. I still feel you, I'm still connected to you, as a Father would be...but you are no longer Nathan and Noemi."

A pause, the smile threatening to crack that porcelian face.

"Now, you are truly Caeruleum."

Snow blew around the bare foundations and barely completely exterior wall of the would-be manor that overlooked the mirror still lake. Windows, not yet filled with exquisite glass and iron masterworks were covered instead with tarp, to prevent any rain or snow from getting inside, to keep still exposed wires and bare pipes from being touched by nature's cruel touch. When completed, it would be three stories in total, basement, ground, and upper, each floor with roughly a dozen or so rooms. It would not be as grand as the last Caeruleum mansion, no, but it would do as a base of operations until its lord finished his work of pulling the Monastery apart by hand, brick by brick. Such a glorious future was already in the works, and coming fast. A decade, maybe, at the most. Thats all it would take. The soldiers of the Wick were nothing more than remnants, much like Nox and his ever growing brood. But this generation was corruptible. Easily, pathetically so. He'd tested their fortitude, their abilities, just last night, and found them wanting.

Thirty percent. Barely. A fraction of his power to be sure, but nothing close to his peak. Not even half. He'd been alone, and even incapacitated momentarily, to be sure, but that had been nothing. During the Skirmishes, he had been much weaker, and sustained much heavier injuries. And still, here he stood.

He was waiting for them to arrive. Noemi. Alek. Jamie. Aurelie. Nathan. Harik. The mad woman his great nephew had sired. Soon his children and allies would come. With the aid of the ancient one known as Torrential, the Caer Patriarch had acquired the necessary means to strike real fear into the city. Death and viscera would soon bloom across Lutetia's many quarters, crimson flowers to celebrate the coming of Winter, and its heralds. The Caeruleum bloodline's eldritch Master knew its current puppet was not gifted at strategy, so it had sent visions, had been sending them for weeks. Precision strikes. Iconic landmarks. Specific people. Raw causalities. Who to send where. It was all coming together, and soon, this rotten metropolis would be reminded who its true ruler was. What name truly deserved their dread, their hate.

A ravenous grin slowly spread across the mad undead's face as he stared out across the lake his house-to-be overlooked. The mirror still lake, now a conduit for the Evernight. A fount of Caeruleum power, a portal to the mind of a being that time had forgotten, an entity that outlived Gods, who withstood the fury of the Courts, something locked away. Locked away for all eternity. Until it made contact with a desperate man nearly three thousand years ago, and a bargain was made. Power eternal in return for freedom.

"Come my children, my loves, my allies...we have much work to discuss..."

The front parlor, save for the damned windows, was one of the most complete parts of the manor, and as such it was where the Caeruleum lord's eldest wife spent her days. In hushed thoughts Aurelie clung to a greater title, one that she would silently insist she deserved: Matriarch. Though without her husband's untimely demise, such a position would be nigh impossible, and she wouldn't dare betray the father of her child. She had been raised better than that.

Lacroix expected a special occasion for today, whatever it may have been, and intended to bring proper attire. The shadowy black dress was quite modest, even for its owner, whose billowing ruffled skirts stretched to the floor. It contrasted heavily with both Aurelie's pallid skin and the oncoming snow. Upon second look, she worried of the implications it posed as it resembled something one might wear to a funeral, but she dismissed the concern.

Instead of watching whatever sort of 'initiation' Nox had planned for his two children, she had remained inside. It might have been a private matter, that or something too gruesome for her eyes. Rather than find out, she hadn't even brought up the idea of attending this ritual, and instead resigned to waiting until he was ready to receive her.

With Nox's call, she stood and exited the half-built mansion to see him. She was rarely allowed to leave the house these days, but perhaps this may have been one of those exceptions.

The pale ghost of a boy that slipped from the mansion in Aurelie's wake would like as not have blended into the backdrop of snow were it not for the rich blue of his jacket and the black of his trousers. Having long-since forgone the school uniform in which he was taken, Nathan was dressed in the clothes his new 'father' had provided him - elegant and of obviously fine make. He wondered idly, as he gazed upon his reflection in a sheet of ice, how they compared to the outfits he had worn at home and for his performances. He wondered too, at what he had looked like before this affliction took upon him. Perhaps once they were back in the city he would get a chance to see a photo.

With each step he took, the ground where his feet fell iced over, as the icy power he'd been filled with the previous day still leaked from him without total control. When he noticed, he frowned, focusing his thoughts on reigning in that freezing cold. With some difficulty, he drew his aura back to within his body, and his footsteps ceased to leave behind their frozen trail. He stopped silently a few paces behind Nox, waiting to be told why he had been called.

It was a while later that Jamie arrived, having been farther afield than the mansion itself. The dark-haired youth moved with an easy grace despite his speed as he dashed through the trees and across the hills that surrounded the Caer's new home. His time away from Nox's side had been wrought with a desperately dull abundance of intrigue and subterfuge. When he had fled alone on the night of the old manor's destruction, it had been he that the Wraiths had followed in the end. Followed all the way across the countryside, dogged, to the neighbouring city of Isarthè, where House Évariste made their home. Once within the halls of his family's home, he had been safe from further pursuit - although it had not been long before word of a traitor in their midst had reached them from Sylvestre.

He had found the tracker shortly after arriving, and cursed himself a thousand times over for having missed it. He knew his family suspected him, for the fact that his return had coincided with Sylvestre's warning had not escaped their notice. But Jamie had his father's trust. Évariste would not be quick to consign one of their own to a punishment laid forth by Sylvestre. He and his father had spoken. Fought. Jamie had almost died.

That wasn't altogether unusual for their regular interactions.

He had been warned that he was on his own, should his dalliance with the enemy prove his undoing. He would be condemned, and disavowed. But should it bring strength to their House in the new order, as he believed it would ... then he would be rewarded.

Not that he cared all that much for the reward. Or the politics. That wasn't why he was here. That wasn't why he kept coming back.

He just wanted to fight. The Church. Sylvestre. The others that would stand in their way. He wanted to be able to let loose every day, if he could. No more sitting around waiting, brawling in the streets with too many rules on how he could fight, until an assassination was needed. Just unrestrained battle. Adrenaline. Fun!

When he reached the lake, Jamie slowed his pace to a walk, and approached the small group at the shore by the manor.

"Hey," he said, glancing across them and taking in some new faces. "What's up?"

Similarly ill-fated to be dressed like a doll, Noemi had been adorned with a well fitted, elegant attire for the evening. In her previous life she barely wore dresses, much less one that looked like it was better off in a formal affair such as a military ball of sorts. At least she could walk in this one, she thought, as the short dress barely reached her knees. Her ebony hair hung loose about her shoulders, feeling the laziness of attempting to style it just for the affair her father had summoned her for. She only knew it wise not to displease him. At least today.

Ever since the ritual, the woman could feel emotions not of her own. It came to her in waves, particularly the closer she was to an individual. Nox, she found very quickly, was like a bee's hive. His emotions shifted so swiftly it was hard to read him. But when one emotion stuck out more than the other, Noemi learned, that it was best to not prod the bear. And today, however delicious as his joy felt to her, however badly she wanted to crush it with her own two hands, she knew it would be wiser to go against her own desire.

Silently, she flowed into the room, drinking in the curiosity of the other individuals in the room. Nox's lover, Noemi recalled it was impolite to call her a whore in his presence, caught her eye first. Noemi was Nox's first daughter, this was true. But that woman carried his true born child, another monster that would soon enter the world. And so with every fiber of her being, Noemi hated that woman and had made it very evident of her distaste for her. There was reasons Nox had seemed to kept them separate. But now, Noemi glared at Aurelie, her ice blue hues cutting through the dark like razors in the quiet.

Alek had heard the call. It was good timing none the less. He had information to give the Caer lord, information that was good and bad, he supposed. But he had taken his time to arrive, having been on the other side of the city on a hunt. It would not have been wise for the elder vampire to arrive without having fed. He was no fool, and the Caer lord had learned what he was capable of doing. It would seem his instincts were correct, as the tall man entered the incomplete manor. Nox had allies assemble, but for what reason?

He laid eyes on the younger vampire, his golden hues lighting up. Nox would know that Alek had information to share with him. But whether or not he wanted it now, or later, in private or in public.. That would be up to the lord himself.

Nox's shadow wavered for a moment, and for those sensitive to it, it would seem the Caer Lord's power grew in an instant...

Save for Harik and his fiery pet, they'd all gathered. Good. Good. He gave them all a separate, deliberate look over. Noemi and Nathan, now awakened and truly in the hands of Winter itself, so different after only a matter of hours, barely a day, and he hardly recognized them. It brought a tear of sick, joyful pride to his icy blue eyes. They grow up so fast, ah, yes, they do...And they looked so proper in the clothes he'd selected for them, like proper Caeruleum soldiers.

He couldn't help but notice the look his daughter gave Aurelie however, and as much as he preferred his other mistress, the Caer lord would have to stomp that sort of behavior out of Noemi at some point. Disrespect toward the future...First Wife...would not be tolerated from anyone other than Nox himself. Only he was permitted to give his "betrothed" such looks. But it was inconsequential for now.

But for now, they were all gathered, all the ones that were needed at this very moment. How quickly they had all responded had filled the Patriarch with glee, a dark twisting field of black that seemed to permeate from his ivory pale skin. To those sensitive to emotional wavelengths, it seemed that Nox was more than "happy" tonight. No, he seemed overcome with positive feelings, which was strange for a being normally so prone to violence, sadism, and mercurial mood swings.

"I am glad to see you all. Excited, as well." Nox would begin, rocking back and forth on his heels. "I have big news. Well, a lot of news. All of it grand and good. But! But, but but! There are a few of you, Jamie, Alek, that I have not heard from in quite a while! And I am eager to hear any sort of reports you may have brought me, before I delve into the glad tidings I intend to share with you, my family, this blessed night."

"Sylvestre know one of my family is working with you. My father knows it's me. He didn't kill me, which suggests he's open minded about your return. I don't expect I'll be trusted by Sylvestre any more, though." Jamie shrugged. Espionage had never been his strong suit anyway. "Don't get me wrong. My family aren't our allies. We might have to kill them, depending on circumstances. But they don't seem inclined to play their hand yet, one way or the other."

His eyes drifted across to Nathan, who was watching him impassively, and he tilted his head curiously. A new face. He glanced back at Nox. "So, what did I miss?"

Alek waited until Jamie had completed his report before beginning his own. The elder vampire took a step forward with a sigh. His voice seemed to resonate in the quiet, although he spoke softly.

"I have news about the whereabouts of your missing family heirlooms. I was able to capture an inquisitor, and through several days of.. Questioning.. He finally gave me a location." He folded his arms across his chest. "There is a bit of an issue of me going in alone to gather these items, however." He added. "Off the coast of Issunar, there is a Monastery on the Isle of Saint Maria. This is the most likely place you will find your stolen artifacts. I'm sure you know it well, but it is a stronghold and the location where recruits are sent to train." He paused for a moment. "These men are weaker than they have been in centuries past, but even at the numbers one individual would be facing.." He let Nox assume the rest.

"Besides.." Alek added, the flames behind his eyes dancing. "This inquisitor was certain that no one would be able to break through the walls. I'm sure you feel the same as I about taking on this challenge to prove the point to the rest of the wretched souls within."

Something happened to Nox, once Alek completed his tale of tortured Monastics and his father's legacy. It wasn't enough to say ecstasy overtook him, for the Caer patriarch seemed far too calm, in control of himself for that to be true, but still, the other undead in the room would be hard pressed to not feel their lord's aura explode into a frenzy of wrathful desire. "You...You both did well to tell me such things. Jamie...I am glad to see you did not perish, and that you found your way back to my side. We will deal with your kin, if and when the time comes. I hope you are prepared for that...And Alek. We will have much to discuss."

His voice was shaking, quivering with barely contained excited. Yes, things were coming together...just as the Evernight had showed him. But he must be careful, on his toes. Father had received the same visions, after all, and still met his end at the hands of some dog of the Wick. "Ah. Yes though. Some announcements and introductions are in order, aren't they. Nathan, Noemi, Aurelie, please take your place at my side."

Once his wife-to-be and children had done so, he'd gesture to each of them in turn. "Jamie, I believe you already know Noemi, but she is my proper daughter now, and gifted with Winter's hunger. To her left, is my son Nathan, gifted similarly, only with the touch, hence those adorable trails of ice he leaves in his wake." A soft chuckle before ruffling the young Caer's snow-white hair. "And of course, Aurelie Lacroix, blessed with a child who will surpass me in almost every way before even his first century passes. I want to make something very clear. Keeping her alive, and making sure the baby comes to term, is far more important than even my own existence." A pause then, to make sure his future spouse had his eyes. He wanted to see her reaction to his next bit of news. "And on the topic of my offspring, Pierrette Hogan is alive and well, but her location will remain known only to myself. And she carries twins, I have come to learn."

There was a certain undeniable joy in Nox's words. Far more than there had been when addressing Aurelie and her spawn. "Now, once my nephew arrives, we will truly begin. He will be bringing a guest, one he has assured me will be of use to our cause, but whom I have not yet met myself."

Aurelie offered a proud smile as Nox praised a child that wasn't even born yet, and by extension the mother carrying it. Her amber eyes met her husband's cold blue orbs, at which point he brought up that gutter-whore again. Her face soured into a scowl though only for a moment. First his ungrateful daughter despised Lacroix for existing, and now that addict was carrying the Caer's seed. All because Hogan opened her legs to get another fix.

The mention of the Caer's nephew (and her soon to be nephew-in-law, by extension) took her attention again. Now she was curious, who else would be working alongside them?

Nathan shuddered at the explosion of Nox's aura, but did not shrink away from the hand that reached for his head as he might have done the previous day. He found himself ... numb to the fear and revulsion he would have expected. His emotions as a whole had been dulled somewhat since his experience in the lake, and he'd begun to wonder if he was to eventually become as unfeeling as the ice that flowed through his veins. He stayed silent as introductions were made, eyes drifting between the two present that he hadn't met - Jamie and Alek.

For his part, Jamie nodded and smiled warmly to the boy, and though he was met with only a dead eyed stare by way of response, it didn't seem to phase him. "You've been busy," he remarked simply when Nox concluded his summary of his heirs-to-be. "And don't worry. If my family make the wrong choice, they would only expect that I kill them or die trying. They respect conviction, not mercy."

Noemi staggered at the shear weight Nox's aura placed on her, pulling her glare away from Aurelie. Her father's state of euphoria was intoxicating to the untrained vampire, and the young woman was near in a trance as she made her way by his side. It was only broken for a brief moment at the mention of her name, but Aurelie's distaste for this Hogan woman brought her around altogether.

Although Noemi shared similar sentiments with her soon to be step-mother, it was curious to her why Aurelie had such a strong reaction. As far as she the young vampire was aware, Aurelie was in the highest position of power, right next to Nox. She would never want for anything, as long as she remained in the good graces of the Caeruleum Lord. This other woman would be second, even though she carried two of the little monsters inside her. Perhaps the secret laid with the look Nox had given her prior to the announcement. Aurelie had hidden her scowl, but the irritation was still there for Noemi to feel. This brought a small, twisted smile upon Noemi's lips.

She whispered so quietly, only those closest to her would hear. "Must suck not to be the favorite.." It was a guess, and afterward knew she may regret it later if her father paid it any mind.
_____

Alek followed the introductions, as he had not been aware of the Caer's family prior to this. Only other person he had been associated with was Pierrette, who he had noticed was missing from this meeting of the minds. But as if his thoughts had been read, Nox explained her absence. Silently he bit the back of his lip. At the same time, he could nearly feel the ice cold eyes of Nox's daughter gaze over him, looking through him briefly before returning to study her own family. He was relieved to find she was well and protected, but he could not help the dull ache he felt of what could have been.

Perhaps, he thought, it was for the best.

"Must suck to not be the favorite."

The police girl had run her mouth again. At this point, Lacroix was unsure why Nox had even bothered keeping her, if she was going to be this much trouble. Either way, she was not going to tolerate this. She stepped towards Noemi. The crack of a back-handed slap broke the relative silence of the meeting, a blow that would have easily broken the jaw of a normal human.

"Be thankful I will not cut out your tongue this time, whore."

Crack.

The slap was hard enough to make Noemi stumble back slightly, her hand reaching out in reaction to touch the the flesh which had been hit. A soft chuckle escaped her lips, her face remaining hidden under her long hair. "Seems I hit a nerve.." She laughed airily.

"That's rich, though.." Her voice seemed almost calm, joyful almost. ".. Coming from the one who's only in this family by opening her legs and happened to end up pregnant with Father's child." She turned her gaze back to Aurelie, a twisted grin upon her lips. "You're only important because the child you carry. Otherwise, you would be rather expendable."

Back