Deus Ex Machina Moonshine Pub

Monster the Vamelfaer

Sells all the Shubi
Moonshine Pub
Nestled comfortably near the Twilight River lies the Moonshine pub. While there are plenty of other bars and pubs around the Moon Level, Moonshine is by far the most popular. Large enough to accommodate almost 100 people, it's always filled to the bursting. From outside, lively music can be heard drifting out through the windows, and the smell of alcohol, cigarettes, and vomit is heavy in the air. Inside, the pub has a welcoming atmosphere, bathed in the warm glow of gas lamps. There are plenty of tables and a rather large bar, usually serviced by a female automaton. On one side of the room there's a piano and room for a band (they usually have a different band each week). A wooden, latticework divider goes down the other side of the room, separating the more quiet area of the bar from the drinking area. Behind the divider, there is a crackling hearth filled with blue flames, and positioned in front of that is a pool table. There are a few comfortable armchairs for the casual observer, and the room is always filled with a grey haze of cigarette and cigar smoke.

While the pub serves plenty of cheap drinks and a few stronger, more expensive ones, their specialty is, of course, moonshine. Food is also served here, though the price isn't always ideal.

Technically, you have to be 18 to enter the pub, but no one ever enforces such rules.

Nelson Zicari - Moonshine Pub
Zicari sat in an armchair by the hearth, watching passively while some of his gang members attempted to play a game of pool. They were horrible at it. These were some of the newer lads who had joined The Blue Devils; half of them too young to actually be in here, but no one was about to cross him on such a simple matter. This would be their first time being in the same room as Zicari, and he could see the nervous glances they gave him every once in a while; the sweat glistening on their brows. It was a part of the initiation process, them being here. Seeing how they held up under pressure. Seeing whether they could still use their brain even with the devil himself breathing down their back. They always got so nervous, all over a simple game of pool. Zicari just liked this part because it gave him an excuse to just sit and drink for hours and not have anyone bother him. At least they weren't supposed to bother him.

Thirty minutes ago, one of his automaton auctioneers had come in making the most ridiculous request: that he sell their most valuable automaton at a mere 100 coppers. Zicari could easily tell that the idiot had been manipulated by a Demi, but that was why he had failsafes such as these in place. Even if one of his people succumbed to magic, nothing important would be able to transpire without him knowing about it. Of course, that didn't mean the auctioneer wasn't at fault. Zicari would deal with him later. For now, he just wanted to enjoy his drink and watch the initiates sweat.

@Raging Glowworm

Edward - Moonshine Pub
Edward walked into the pup and almost gagged at the stench. He never went into the place, unless he absolutely had to. The tobacco smoke was heavy in the air and the was the low din of voices chattering coming from the tables. Edward paused in the doorway and scanned the room for anyone who might resemble Zicari. He spotted the mob boss sitting near the hearth. He was in a large armchair watching a group of young men play pool. Casually he strolled over to the men by the table and watched them for several moments. He conversed with two of them for a few minutes. They nodded, shook hands with Edward, then returned to their game. Then Edward made his way over to Zicari. He noted Zicari's metal hand.
"Zicari I presume?"

Zicari took a small bottle out of his pocket and dropped a few drops of liquid into his drink with the eyedropper, not even bothering to look at the newcomer. He casually closed the bottle again and swirled his drink around, mixing the new liquid around until he was satisfied, then took a deep drink. When he was finished, he looked at the man in front of him up and down with a critical eye and scowled. "What do you want?" he growled.

Edward - Moonshine Pub
"I have a business proposition." Edward said smoothly. He pulled up one of the nearby chairs and sat down. He crossed on leg over the other and clasped his hands across his knee. Inside, his stomach was in knots. One false move he might loosee his tongue, or worse. He'd need to tread cautiously. He kept his face pleasent. Edward had become a master at hiding his true feelings. "regarding one of your automations." He continued.

Itzel Fiske- Moonshine Pub
Itzel sat near Zicari, enough to where she respected his space but to where she could also keep an eye out if anyone was stupid enough to try something. She was watching the new initiates with an entertained smile, a few drinks in her system as she relaxed in the environment around her. It humoured her to watch the new initiates, taken back to the day she was in the very spot once. That had been some years ago though. Her relaxation was all washed away as Edward stepped toward her boss, keeping her eyes and ears peeled on the individual as she straightened slightly. Studying the individual, she noted that he had no physical intention towards Zicari but it still didn't settle her gaurd as she watched and listened on.

Zicari wore an expression that was entirely unamused. He stared at the newcomer for at least two minutes, as if deciding his verdict. Truth was, he'd already decided. "Not interested. Now get out, before I have you thrown out."

Zicari knew a weasel when he saw one, and he wasn't particularly interested in doing business of that variety today. Besides, he had people for that. The fact that this man had the gall to come to him directly was pushing the limits, but he was feeling somewhat forgiving today. Perhaps it was the laudanum. Made him soft in the head, as some of his men were stupid enough to say behind his back. Zicari took another sip of his laced drink.

Edward - Moonshine Pub
Edward shifted uneasily in his seat, but he retained his composure. "Now, now is that any way to treat a fellow business man?" he said; lacing his words with soothing. "you haven't even heard my proposal yet." He eyed the woman sitting nearby. She could prove to be trouble if she caught on to what he was doing. Thankfully his chair had a clear view of the door. "Tell you what. I'll buy you a drink we'll discuss this, and if you don't like what I have to say I'll be on my way." He smiled at the man giving the impression that nothing in the world phased him. Not even one of the moon level's most violent criminals.

Itself turned her gaze away from the "business man" and Zicari as she noticed him eyeing her for a moment. Though, she wasn't looking at them, her attention was still fully on the two as she listened to the two. Something felt fishy to her but she couldn't place her hands. "Do you want me to handle him, boss?" She asked, quirking and eyebrow at the two.

Zicari could feel the soothing in the other man's words. It was subtle - he was obviously practiced in the art - but he was well-accoustomed to people trying to manipulate him. He knew magic when he felt it.

Zicari set down his glass on the table beside him and climbed to his feet, easily towering over the other man since he was sitting down. "No, Itzel, I'll deal with this one myself," he replied. The gang leader pulled out a revolver and cocked the lever, leveling it to the weasel's forehead. "Say another word, and I pull the trigger," he said. His voice was calm, though his eyes were burning with fury. How dare this man come in here and try to use magic on him? "You have ten seconds to leave this pub, or I'll let loose my Devils on you. You touch the electric automaton, and I'll rip out your silver tongue myself."

The initiates had all stopped what they were doing to watch the scene, wide-eyed. No doubt they were hoping for blood. Zicari would be more than obliged to indulge them.

Edward - Moonshine Pub
Edward stared at the muzzle pointing at his forehead. He swallowed once, nodded, then spun around and fled the pub; pushing patrons and chairs out of his way. He didn't stop running until the pub was out of sight. He slowed up and put his hands on his knees and let his breathing slow. He looked nervously behind him to see if anyone had followed. Not seeing anything suspicious he straightened and began walking casually down the street as if nothing had happened. He was not looking forward to telling Matrix that he had failed; especially in front of that other dratted automaton.

Zicari watched the man flee faster than he'd even thought possible. There was a small ripple of amusement that went through some of the initiates, but he didn't share their joy. So this Demi thought he could mess with his automatons. Zicari holstered his gun and sat down in his chair again, expression cold. "Itzel," he said, not even bothering to look at her, "track that man down and teach him a lesson. I won't have any more weasels coming in to interrupt my private time."

"Yes sir." Itself spoke before bounding out of the pub, her eyes set on her target. She slipped her good over her head and silently followed after the businessman. She wondered what the proposition could have even been.

Julius Granville - Entering the Pub

The blacksmith entered the Pub with a sour look on his face. He normally tried to be a jovial fellow, but the way that redhead at the river spoke to him earlier really rubbed him the wrong way. He ignored the dirty looks that he was getting from Zicari's goons, the crime boss knew he frequented the place and he stayed out of the gang's way so he knew there wouldn't be a problem. "Bartender, hurry up and get me a damn glass!" He shouted as he took his seat at the bar.

Elizabeth - Following Granville

Elizabeth entered the pub shortly after the blacksmith, Granville, did. One of her dragonflies, the one that had been on Granville's tail flew outside the pub, watching for anyone that may have been a threat. Her other two dragonflies were still with the group from earlier, keeping a close eye on them.

Walking right through the pub, Elizabeth didn't even recognize that the crime lord, Zicari, was in the pub. Instead she walked up to, and took a seat next to, Granville.

"Bartender, a pint of mead for me please." Elizabeth asked, her voice ringing in a nice coppery tone. Tony clawed his way into Elizabeth's lap, giving the burly blacksmith an 'evil eye' kind of look.

After they had gotten their drinks, and after Elizabeth had taken a swig of the mead, she spoke to the blacksmith. "The blacksmith Granville. That is who you are, no?" Shortly after finishing her question, the swig of mead hit the flame in her stomach, lighting it up. A red light could be seen through the cracks in her metal skin as she took another swig. However, while she could feel the fire, Elizabeth was still saddened because she couldn't taste the mead itself.

Julius Granville - Moonshine Pub

His large flask of moonshine came to him fast, just as he expected, the people here knew him and knew what he wanted so he normally got served fast. What seemed to be somewhat out of the ordinary was the automaton that took a seat next to him. Externally she was crafted into the shape of a beautiful woman, though completely made of metal, and the craftsmanship on her was remarkable, but what also caught his eye was the little tiger automaton that rested with her, even though it seemed to be glaring at him.

What caught him off guard even more was that the automaton knew his name and profession. He raised his one eyebrow and gave a nod to the girl. "Aye, who's askin'?" He said as he took a giant swig from his flask, he felt like he might need it for this encounter.

Elizabeth - Moonshine Pub

Petting the copper fox that sat in her lap, Elizabeth responded to Granville, "I am asking, Mr. Granville." Elizabeth took another light sip from her drink, waiting just long enough for the alcohol-rich liquid to hit the flame in her gut. Smiling inwardly, the automaton continued, "My self-given name is Elizabeth. That is what you may call me."

Suddenly, Elizabeth's dragonfly, the very one that had been trailing Granville earlier, flew into the pub. As it reached Elizabeth, the poor automaton began to waver, almost losing its ability to fly completely. Catching the tiny automaton, Elizabeth fished around for its key within her left breast's pocket. Finding it, the woman began to rewind the small machine.

"As you can see, Mr Granville, I am a tinkerer. However, tinkerers are always in need of supplies. I sought you out for that express reason." Having finished rewinding the dragonfly, Elizabeth tossed it into the air.Immediately, the tiny automaton's wings began to flutter, giving it flight. Dancing in the air a few times, the dragonfly returned to where it had been flying outside.

"As for why I know so much already, I have been using my dragonflies, of which I have three, to keep an eye on you. I wish to become apprenticed to you, Mr. Granville." After these last words left her lips, Elizabeth finally turned towards the blacksmith himself, her eyes, appearing violet, stared into Granville's own.

"What do you say to that, Mr. Granville?"

Julius observed the automaton called Elizabeth carefully, his mechanical eye zooming in on various features of her to get a sense of how she was constructed, and on the little fox she kept in her lap. Copper and clockwork machinery, steam-powered from the flame that lit in her core, this was truly a fine piece of machinery. He was a bit taken aback by the dragonfly that entered, apparently this girl had been spying on him for a while, he wasn't sure if that was creepy or flattering.

Gulping down the rest of his drink, Julius gave the girl an interested look. "Apprentice, you say? Well I say I'm gonna need a bit more information on who I'm going to be mentoring. Where were you made, Elizabeth? How did you become so knowledgeable in creating these little contraptions?" He asked as he went to poke the fox, recoiling his hand back before said fox tried to bite it off.

Elizabeth - Moonshine Pub

Elizabeth mulled over the blacksmith's questions for a bit, long enough for them both to take a couple swigs of their respective beverage. Coming to a conclusion, Elizabeth first calmed Tony down, at least down enough for Granville to touch him if he wanted to. Then, placing the mechanical fox in front of the blacksmith, she began to answer his rather sensible questions.

"I do not know where I was manufactured. However, I believe that I was manufactured by a single man, though his name is lost to me. As for how I know what I know, well, my first, and only, owner was a tinkerer, a clock master. He made little clockwork automatons like Tony here," Elizabeth gestured to the now placated and easily pettable fox. "However, he had a proclivity towards certain things that made it incompatible for me to stay with him."

"Any other questions, Mr. Granville?"

"Hmm, intruigin'." Julius said with a hint of a slur, slamming his glass down and demanding for another from the bartender. He tried touching the fox again after Elizabeth calmed it down. The little thing almost seemed to purr as his hands moved over it. Such a feat seemed fascinating to him, and for it to have been created by this automaton, he felt he could gain quite an experienced helper.

"Alright, lass. You've certainly caught my eye. I do have one more question for ya though. Blacksmithing is a lot different then tinkering with these her animals. I've never had an apprentice before, but I can promise I wont be taking it easy on ya. Do you think you'll be able to handle that?" He asked, looking at her with a serious eye. He briefly wondered what she meant by those proclivities her former owner had, but decided not to press that line of thought at this moment.

Back