Need some advice on my writing project

Lazzamore

WAAAAAAAAAA-
Alright, so I am writing a short story, or at least I thought I was, anyhow. The short story is set in the Warhammer 40k universe about an OC I have used for my armies warlord (I tend to end up writing a story regardless of what I do. I once did so while doing math homework). I play Orks, so this warlord is an Ork; in case you don't know about the 40k setting, Orks are vicious, genetically bred war-machines that reproduce through spreading spores when they die. Orks are described as having only the desire for the thrill of battle, war and violence.

But outside of that I'm having trouble determining my MC's motivation; I see him as a touch more complex than 'Kill, Maim, Destroy' as 100% of his mindset, and I'm even considering taking him out of the setting and building a new setting just so I can write a story about him (World building is one of my strong suits; so this isn't that much of an imposition). So, I suppose what I'm asking is this for those of you who are familiar with 40k: would the 40k universe restrict me to the point that it be better for the characters to create my own setting, and would 40k lore/fanbase even allow for an Ork with more of a motivation then just 'War for the lolz'. I certainly know my stories would have way more places to go if they weren't Fanfiction.

I think the biggest problem you'd have in giving your Ork a more complex motivation would be expressing it in an Ork-y way, 40k has Orks communicating in a very limited, very stylised fashion that makes it rather hard to convey complex thought without it seeming either forced or unreal. Whatever motivations you choose would have to be seen through the colour of 'Orkiness' that is pretty hardwired into the 40k universe. It's possible to get somewhat more complex while staying true to the setting, but not a lot.

Back