New User New in The Circle

Ronin Ryuuga

The Silent One
Hey all! I'm Ryuuga and have as of relatively recent time joined the site after having found it on an online top list of r.p. sites. Before coming here though I was mostly role-playing in the game Star Wars The Old Republic (swtor) with a friend of mine, until my gaming laptop was met with technical difficulties. So with that I felt the need to find a different way to role-play that didn't involve playing a game (as my current laptop can't handle it) and so I turned to forum based role-playing.

Now, although role-playing in itself isn't very new to me, I've not had any experience as far as forum based role-playing goes. Naturally I've grasped a small hint of what it's like from my own observations, but they can only take me so far. So if anyone could come with a few pointers and general advice I'd be very grateful.

Apart from that I must say that it's a migthy fine looking site and I hope to have a great time with you all.

Sincerely Ronin Ryuuga

Hey there and welcome to Storyteller's Circle :)

You'll probably be glad to hear that we have several Star Wars fans (myself included). Many of whom would be estatic to see a Star Wars roleplay start up here. If you get the mind to try and run your own roleplay here, let me know and I would be more than happy to help you wih that. Of course I would understand if you were instead interested in participating in other peoples roleplays while you get familiar with the style of roleplay.

The gist of it though is that forum roleplaying is like writing a story, only you write your characters part in that story. It works on a system of collaboration and mutual respect. For example, you can't write your character punches mine in the face as he/she turns around. Instead you write that your character attempts to to sucker punch mine. I would then determine if my character would be able to evade the attempt, or if I should gracefully accept the hit. My character is drunk and not expecting it? Chances are I wouldn't write him ducking out of the way. I would write the hit being successful. But if I had in my previous post noted my character being suspicious of yours, and my character is a hardened super-soldier with years of experience under his/her belt? I would likely post them turning and blocking the attack as they picked up on the sudden movement.

Depending on the roleplay you join, there may be a set storyline laid out that you will travel along, or you may find yourself in a large open-world roleplay in which you're expected to take the reigns a bit more in driving story for your character (though usually GMs of these roleplays will assist in providing engaging content).

If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to answer those as well.

Welcome to the site. It looks like Tiko's got the tutorial stuff out of the way, so I'm just dropping in to say that me and @Alchemical are currently working on getting a Star Wars RP going, so you're not alone young Padawan! :)

Hey hey! I used to run a RP-guild on SWTOR and one on Jedi Academy, it was real fun times. After a while tho, both games just "didn't feel the same to me anymore. Great to meet another Star Wars fan and I'll hope you'll like it here. ^^

Thank you all for the welcoming response and Tiko for the helpful tips. I recon I'll join a role-play to work on my skills and writing a bit, at least to start with. However I'm especially glad to hear that there are many a star wars fans here on the site. I'd love to join, create and or help working a Star Wars related role-play at any given time. Well once I've gotten used to the whole forum based role-playing at some point. A point I believe should be rather soon given how, at least from the sound of it, forum based and in game role-playing are rather similar. With the core difference being that forum based can be a bit more in depth with its writing. As far as I can tell from personal experience.

Maybe I'm wrong, but no matter. Anyway, thanks again everyone and may you all have a good time and pleasant role-playing.

That would depend on how your MMO group roleplayed, cause I used to RP on Habbo Hotel (like, 10 years ago) and it's style was very different, where instead of writing a story it was more of a "See who spams attacks faster" deal. But if your Old Republic group focused on more writing a story and characters? Then yea, the switch over shouldn't be too hard.

Also, the fact your from SWTOR is extra nice, cause KOTOR is my favourite Star Wars Era, and likely what the RP mentioned above is going to take place in. :p

Yes my group most certainly was more focused on writing in general. Along with never mixing up the PVP elements with the RP elements, if that's what I'm supposed to take from the "spamming of attacks" that you mentioned. We instead utilized the chat with an emote system that functioned similarly to how posts works in forum based role-playing. Although much shorter in length.

On another note it's awesome to hear we have the same preference in terms of the Star Wars Era. :)

Yes my group most certainly was more focused on writing in general. Along with never mixing up the PVP elements with the RP elements, if that's what I'm supposed to take from the "spamming of attacks" that you mentioned. We instead utilized the chat with an emote system that functioned similarly to how posts works in forum based role-playing. Although much shorter in length.

Well, this was Habbo Hotel:

aid230620-728px-Be-Popular-on-Habbo-Hotel-Step-17-Version-2.jpg

So there was a lack of actual "Attacks".
Instead people would spam stuff like:
-Swings his lightsaber sideways so it that it burns off the rib cage-
-Then swings it to the legs and now you hobble pirate style-
And it'd be a contest of who could spam those the fastest.

But yea, seems like to stayed more to the narrative side of things, which should make your transition here easy. :)

On another note it's awesome to hear we have the same preference in terms of the Star Wars Era. :)

Old Republic Era is best era. :3
We can thank Bioware for that. XD

Thanks Tiko! I'll make sure to look into it. So, far as of now I've read up a bit on the Masquerade role-play, which I also found of interest. Currently thinking on a concept for a character for it, but nothing's decided yet.

Although rest assured, I definitely have sound idea of potential role-plays to join. :)

Back