New User okay, hi!

okhi2

Pronouns
she
Hello all!

I am an avid reader and writer, though I still feel like a novice at both. I am currently majoring in Education, and I finished my Undergrad last year, in which my majors were English and Psychology. I spent a lot of my early life reading, my teenager-hood writing, then my undergrad reading... and reading... and reading. Now, feeling released from the shackles of assigned readings, I have found myself a little lost in my freedom, amongst all of my creativity! I have been working on two personal writing projects, alongside writing prose & poetry... But honestly, I feel like I still need something else to focus on, not a project, something for the sole sake of having fun.

As a kid, I spent hours online! My love of writing came from an old roleplaying forum that I used to frequent + participate in. I thought that it would be a good idea for me to seek out something similar, fifteen years later. It's weird: writing is a very solitary act, but to grow as a writer, and to write meaningful things, community is vital, like a beating heart. I don't mean to sound melodramatic, I just truly feel that way. I've written so many things that will only be seen by me, and there is not much useful input I can give myself, other than, this sucks! or, this rocks! or, this idea is good, but for some reason, my sentences don't sound natural... This is all to say that I thought finding a community, such as this one, would provide space to learn and grow, through having fun and connecting with others.

So uh, nice to meet you!

I'm currently studying to become an English teacher. I'm Canadian, with an American boyfriend, I have a cat and a hamster (who's name is six-words long, and ends in 'wizard duel'), and today for lunch I had sushi and salad.

I love psychology, philosophy (currently learning about linguistics), coming-of-age narratives. I like, with mild disdain, my current retail job selling clothes. I hate Alfredo, because it has a white sauce that smells weird, and I also hate winter coats, because they are big, bulky, and burdensome.

I feel awkward during introductions, because I'm not quite sure how to introduce myself. I feel as if I've said too much, and still not enough. I'll leave you with the fact that at age 19, I developed an oddly shaped mole on the ring-finger of my left hand. It came out of no-where, and I worried that it was cancer, but I don't think it is. Also, I type at a speed of 110 WPM.

Nice to meet you all :)

okhi2/shelby

Welcome to our corner of the internet! We hope you'll find what you're looking for here.

You have quite the intro! I am impressed. I especially like what you said about how working with other writers helps you to grow as a writer.

What sort of RPs are you interested in? Fantasy, sci-fi, slice of life... there are so many choices.

Welcome to our corner of the internet! We hope you'll find what you're looking for here.

You have quite the intro! I am impressed. I especially like what you said about how working with other writers helps you to grow as a writer.

What sort of RPs are you interested in? Fantasy, sci-fi, slice of life... there are so many choices.

I'm honestly not sure! When I RP'd as a kid, I liked things that were moreso fantasy, or slice of life. I think I'm still interested in those two things, but I'm also feeling a lot more like I just want to experience and play with all of the different genres, see what things fit me and what things don't fit so well.

My favourite books have always been insanely character-driven, and I feel like RP is... the creation of a character driven story x10, so I honestly feel like I could be happy doing whatever.

What sort of RPs do you like the most, and why? :)

Experimentation is a lot of fun!

My favorite RPs have always been more of the slice-of-life style because I really enjoy exploring with new characters and discovering new ideas and stories, especially more open-ended stories. I love more fantastical-oriented worlds, but I'll do nearly everything! I did a horror one once with a writer who is, sadly, no longer active on here, and that was a lot of freaky fun. I also did a sci-fi one that I also really enjoyed. Fantasy is my favorite, but that doesn't stop me from having fun in nearly all of the genres.

Experimentation is a lot of fun!

My favorite RPs have always been more of the slice-of-life style because I really enjoy exploring with new characters and discovering new ideas and stories, especially more open-ended stories. I love more fantastical-oriented worlds, but I'll do nearly everything! I did a horror one once with a writer who is, sadly, no longer active on here, and that was a lot of freaky fun. I also did a sci-fi one that I also really enjoyed. Fantasy is my favorite, but that doesn't stop me from having fun in nearly all of the genres.

It sounds like we are alike! I really appreciate open-ended stories, where characters come to maybe better discover new ideas, and changing/growing/discovering themselves alongside the story. Horror sounds really fun. I was actually thinking of it when I responded. I've always shied away from horror books and movies, because I am worried I'll have nightmares, lol. But RPing horror sounds like it might be... I don't know, more exciting? Maybe a bit less intimidating, because you are controlling the story -- in comparison to, idk, forcibly having jump scares thrown at you and watching people get stabbed? I suppose the aspect of being able to control the narrative (or just, someone's actions within it) changes a lot. It's really cool to be able to contribute/co-create, instead of just experiencing something already finished and un-changeable.

Is there any characters or stories that you've created or worked on, which stand out to you? Maybe have stuck with you, or that you just remember fondly? What happened in the horror story before your companion disappeared? :eek:

For the horror RP, we finished it! It was a fascinating Lovecraft-style horror mystery that was almost entirely driven by the other person. They were truly fantastic! But... it turns out I am really bad at horror RPs. :emoji_sweat_smile: So, we didn't do another one after that, and I realized eventually that i hadn't seen them around in awhile. Maybe they moved to Discord. I'm not really a fan of discord, so I'm not active on there.

For characters, I have a lot that have stuck with me over the years! A LOT. Probably one of my current favorites, an alien with traits similar to those of a cat. He was interesting, but, sadly, the RP didn't really go anywhere. There are many others, but he was one of the more recent ones.

Hi @okhi2, and welcome to Storytellers' Circle. Your account is now approved for full access to all of our RP areas. Let me know if you have any questions!

Back