Phobias and Scares

~Nemo~

An Odd
I didn't seem to find a thread on this discussion so I thought it would be cool to make one. Tell me of your phobias and what you find scary in this thread. I'm really curious and interested in what people view as scary.
I'll share as well.

For phobias, I have a huge phobia of birds due to a traumatizing experience I had when I lived in Seattle. At the time I was five and my mom and I were on the beach. I wanted to feed the birds so my mom gave me the bucket of bread she had brought with us and I ran out to the few birds that were on the shore and started to feed them. Sadly, this brought at least a good 30-40 seagulls to the shore. I wasn't scared at first but that's when things went out of hand. Next thing I know, I was chased up and down the beach by so many seagulls, pecking at me until I dropped the bucket.
Even though it's debatable on whether it's a true phobia or not, I have trypophobia. If you don't know what that is, look it up but avoid the images that come up from that search, it just makes things so much worse.

As for scares, I watched the first Grudge movie at a young age and had nightmares for a month straight. Ever since then, I can't stand to hear the sound or see pictures of the actress who played the...main person.
I also found Mickey Mouse really unsettling, I can't explain it but I never liked the iconic mouse.

Falling.

Considering I'm great at falling it'seems kind of ironic that I'may terrified at the same time. When I say falling, I mean from a great height. It's a massive phobia and it affects a lot of things - flying, heights, bridges, Cliff edges etc etc. The vertigo and sick feeling I get is awful and I'm practically shaking and crying.

Flying is a nightmare because I stress myself out badly. I now have a ritual to feel comfortable. As we're about to board I check to make sure the plane looks okay. Then once seated I make sure I imagine all the worst things that can happen with the logic of I can'tell predict my own death, therefore my actual fear of falling won'the happen. Because the fear is of been aware of falling from a great height. Not from death.

Once I've done that I then have to sit and watch the movie I've downloaded to distract me. As I fly to France and back around 3-4 times a year, it'seems 2 hours long. Perfect movie time.

If the movie don't work or my ritual is messed up I panic.

Oh and I'm shit scared of spiders too. Lol

I don't have any genuine phobias, but have a few 'fears' I suppose. One that's a little inconsistent is that I both like, and fear high heights. As a kid I was always climbing as high as I could, I love amusement park rides, and I love looking down at things from a high height. I however am afraid of heights if I don't feel physically secure. Climbing I always felt secure. I had a firm grip at all times on something. Amusement park rides, you're strapped in. I've even done rock wall climbing without being phased by the heights. But simply standing at high heights?

I get really anxious if I don't feel secure. I can't stand on the edge of a high ledge that has no railing without a lot of anxiety, and even with a railing I'll feel uneasy if I'm not physically holding it. I credit this due to my nerve issues. I can stumble, trip, or fall in a moment without warning if my knee goes out, so I'm always envisioning myself pitching over the edge of high heights when I'm standing near them. Even standing in a tall building in a city with those floor to ceiling glass windows had me uneasy. Logically I KNEW those windows were strong, but in my head I was playing out the possibility of tripping and breaking through one :p

I don't know if this counts? I cannot stand blood, reading about it is okay, as long as it's not too gorey.. but even just talking about it makes me feel faint.

Makes biology class a pain..

Oh, and I find the idea of zombies terrifying.. I still love watching horror lets plays for some reason.

I don't like confined spaces, like elevators or closets. I can't be in them for more than 10-15 minutes before I start feeling restless.

I dislike spaces with a lot of people, my breath is cut and the anxiety strike..
stairs.. because of an accident, i can't stand it, i prefer to take an elevator.

I can't stand alcohol (it's not really a fear, more a 'i can't stand it'), also, dealing with alcoholic jerks don't make it simple.. i may be one of the rare who never drink that..

Most of all phobias, I am really scared of bugs... They're just gross and I can't imagine having its dead corpse, insides and blood on my shoe or whatever you'd use to kill it. I don't even like butterflies (I mean, except for their wings, their bodies are ugly) or ladybugs. Second comes the ocean, I've never been in it, but I just imagine the depth and all the weird undiscovered creatures inside make me shiver.
I also don't like crowds. If I have to 'confront' one, I'd make so that it's super quick and I can get out of it asap (boxing day is one of the worst experience, -10/10 would never go again). I am generally not comfortable at interacting with people, so that doesn't help me.
Heights are also far from being my favorite thing... So whenever I have to use a (tall) ladder at work, I just ask my colleague to do it lmao. Once tried to go high and kinda got stuck because my body would refuse to move.
And finally, it's really strange but... Swings. There, I said it. I just picture the whole thing breaking down as I go higher. I don't know how to explain it, I just don't like them.

And finally, it's really strange but... Swings. There, I said it. I just picture the whole thing breaking down as I go higher. I don't know how to explain it, I just don't like them.

I feel you on the swings. I can't stand them and if they creak even the slightest I'll freak out.

I honestly have a fear of changing. Like changing my beliefs and views on the world. Not in the small sort of way, like when you grow older and gain more experience, but more like if someone influences me to do something I perceive as bad right now but actually enjoy later. Like right now I'm totally against murdering people, but I'm afraid if that were to change as I grow older until I actually go out and murder someone. I dunno, it's a strange fear to describe. What I'm trying to say makes total sense in my mind, but yeah

I used to and still have a huge fear of ants. Not one or two, but if I see more than five I get extremely anxious. This due to a hot chocolate incident when I was home alone at 9 years old. I accidentally spilled hot cocoa all over our white marble counters, wiped it up with a paper towel, went to shower- came back, and the whole kitchen was black with ants. I then curled up in a corner on the side of the house, called every family member at least 4 times, left 3 wailing voicemails, until finally my oldest sister drove over and cleaned up while laughing her ass off.

Fucking ants man...

Apparently this isn't considered a real phobia, but I have trypophobia. It makes me itchy all over. I once had to look at barnacles for reference for an art piece I was creating and I could not stop scratching myself. Not fun.

I'm terrified of thunderstorms. I don't do loud noises. I'm also like a very aggressive person about it. Like if we're hiking in the woods as per usual and you look at the GPS and the radar says T-storms less than 20 min away....I'll freak out and start running for a cave of any kind or demand you take me home.

I'm not made from sugar....I wont melt......I love rain. I just cant be out when there is thunder. I also do not have the ability to scream from fear. When I scream it sounds like I just let out a held breath. probably good to know if you want to murder me HOOHOOO....

For phobias I only have one: The endless ocean.

Ever since I was a child for some reason I have always had reoccurring nightmares and a fear of not only the ocean but large masses of water. The fear of being the only person for miles on out as you dangle in the depths of a beast's domain is terrifying. Any second as your feet kick back and forth shivering in the cold watery temperature something could latch onto your legs and rip your lower half from your torso within moments and you'd never know that you died. Or you could get the rough end of the stick, and some ocean-based demon could saw its teeth through your flesh; it ripping muscle and tissue into the water as the blood would only cause it to hunger more therefore it eventually tearing your leg off in a painful rip. That shit scares me, man.

As for scares, if those nightmares aren't enough there's a feeling I get at times that life isn't real and we're all an illusion or whatever and our minds are sentient but reality isn't, if that makes sense. Consider it like dying and waking up, or waking up and being torn from a dream. A real bad acid trip. I always get that single fear and life proves it to not be real but the fear is very much still there.

I also found Mickey Mouse really unsettling, I can't explain it but I never liked the iconic mouse.

Funny enough, I was afraid of Goofy. My childhood experience at Disneyland involved running away screaming from the giant dog-man who wanted to give me a hug.

As far as phobias go: Confined areas and heights. I simply cannot handle these two.

Apparently this isn't considered a real phobia, but I have trypophobia. It makes me itchy all over. I once had to look at barnacles for reference for an art piece I was creating and I could not stop scratching myself. Not fun.
I have trypophobia as well. It's pretty minor, but looking at pictures of 'it' can make my skin crawl. :emoji_confounded:

Spiders.
Spiders, and heights.
Like, holy Cheezus do I tremble before spiders.
They're eight-legged embodiments of Satan himself that can climb walls and ceilings. They can also spin webs from their butts, which is absolutely TERRIFYING.

Spiders.
They can also spin webs from their butts, which is absolutely TERRIFYING.
That sounded really funny XD.
My dad has always done this, so now I do too, but whenever either one of us see a spider, we grab the closest lighter and try to burn it to a crisp while looking like maniacs. Neither of us are scared of spiders, so it seems like we're burning them for fun.

That sounded really funny XD.
My dad has always done this, so now I do too, but whenever either one of us see a spider, we grab the closest lighter and try to burn it to a crisp while looking like maniacs. Neither of us are scared of spiders, so it seems like we're burning them for fun.
Congratulations, you're braver than I could ever be.

For me, it's pretty much trypophobia explicitly as skin conditions.

People make those fake pictures to disgust anyways :p

maxresdefault.jpg

Back