Players Wanted for Tabletop Fantasy Past

DeJoker

Master of Mayhem
Okay I have left it blank and I posted this Poll over in my introduction thread but it seems like this would be a more appropriate place to post it. So if you voted in the other one please do so here again as I will see if I can remove the other to reduce confusion.

Currently I have only two rules that I follow:

1) I run only hero types but that does not mean you have to be a goody-two-shoes just that you have to be a hero type. Which means you could be true-blue heroic, reluctant hero, dark hero, green hero, aged hero and just about any other hero type you might be able to come up with.

2) I use game mechanics based on the genre I am running but as a player you do not need to know anything about the mechanics (see below). Personally I feel most game mechanics have very little to do with character creation and role playing -- they are mostly a tool for a Storyteller to put arbitrary limits on what a player can and cannot do -- further some players focus too much on the mechanics and become munchkins or tweens.

So while I use various mechanics (to maintain inter-player balance) I have developed a method of keeping those mechanics mostly hidden and allowing the player to have a more real-world-like experience. For instance you know your good at doing something but how good is good, on a 1 - 10 scale you feel you are about an 8 give or take a point or two. So you examine this problem and you realize it is going to be difficult for you but what is difficult mean well basically you have a solid chance of failure but a good chance of succeeding but it will all depend on the precautions and preplanning you undertake before you tackle the problem. Thus while I use mechanics you need not know them as they will be built behind the curtain based off the character description. Which means you cannot necessarily have anything and everything you want but I am always open for negotiation depending on the back story. Oh and do not be concerned 100% about that backstory because I realize that on your own you can only paint a 2D picture and in order to get that 3rd Dimension you need collaboration and input from the Storyteller and this gets delivered from get go. So sometimes the character building becomes a semi-adventure in itself. However I do ask that players be willing to make a solid commitment so that they and the other players can have continued fun. In my experience the biggest issue is player atrophy, and it seems only fair that if I the Storyteller have to make a solid commitment then the players should do likewise.

3) Games are generally PG13 and barely R due to some language but with fade to blacks for the other things

4) TBD -- there might be a few more but they do not come to mind

Note these are fairly broad topics and could be finer tuned (except for the last two) once I get a better idea of where the interests reside

Considering we have been discussing something as it relates to this, just making note that I am present!

~M

Okay to get things rolling I am going to start a Fantasy Past game -- I will be using Pathfinder mechanics mostly but not exactly -- but again the mechanics are mostly for me to keep game balance -- so do not be overly concerned about them. I just need your input on what you want to play and what you want them to be able to do.

I will be running a game idea created by Meliodas and morphed by me -- so what we are going to start with are 4 Agents (PCs) of 4 different Patrons from 4 different "Islands" I will outline the patrons as we go but I put Islands in quotes because one of them is not surrounded by water -- I am not going to define said islands until I have the player that will represent that island thus the player will get some say so about the culture they come from but they will not have full control as I will need to implement certain aspects to make the story cohesive

There will be 3 Good oriented agents and 1 neutral oriented agent -- there will also be 4 evil agents but only 3 known evil islands

So what we are looking for are 3 more players and for each person to outline what kind of agent they want to play -- you can be vague and ask questions if you are not familiar with pathfinder and I will help you out there -- also do not limit yourself to what you know about pathfinder if you are familiar with it as I have been able to create classes on the fly fairly easily

Ideallically we will have a Lawful Good society, a Neutral Good society, a Chaotic Good and a Lawful Neutral society but this is not 100% required -- if you do not know what these mean I can explain them and also note Alignments are only guidelines they only help to outline your characters morals and such it is not the hard-chiselled in stone things that are usually encountered however since each PC is going to be an Agent of a patron (aka diety, god) then they do have to consider heavily their actions in light of this. Stray to far and your patron might get upset at you.

Last edited:
So M what kind of Island do you want to come from -- would you like the Air Island or one of the 3 water surrounded islands?

Okay the air island would require that you can fly -- but to keep it fair you need wings ;) so we can go with a dragonkin race or feather-winged race or something along those lines -- what kind of winged race strikes your fancy

Honestly, started just looking into dragons but at the same time, I really love phoenixes. Fiery wings, rebirth from the ashes, that whole concept has always intrigued me. There is a real symbolism in that.

~M

Just keep in mind that you are going to be pretty much mundane-ish and your from the element of "air" and the phoenix while it can fly is mostly the element of fire

This is not to say it is not doable just want to be able to differentiate the elements to some degree

For instance perhaps your people honor the phoenix and believe in rebirth from honorable death or something along those lines

I know I was just thinking about that. Unless I move to an island dominated by fire and also give him wings though a part of me is torn from whether two characters should be able to fly or not considering everyone should have a talent they bring to the table (with that logic I want to rule that out). Nonetheless, I will stick with air, and choose your basic feathered human. One idea I did have about a similar race is the thought that birds have hollow bones in order to sustain flight (they have to be light enough in order to pull this off). Which made me think of doing something similar here though the race would have extremely strong bones that weigh considerably less than actual humans. This would make for them being very fast, agile, and masters of avoiding attacks. They might even be more about defending or avoiding attacks than landing them. Probably quite smart too.

Ranged weapons are to their advantage, and they possibly have very good eyesight so they can view the landscape from up high. Just some suggestions.

~M

Okay so human ? But what you might be describing is more like a Dragonfly ?? How does that sound aka humanoid insectoid type creature ?? Highly maneuverable no bones due to an exoskeleton

Note it can sort of be half-human half-insect -- depending on how different you want to be

After consideration, I am free to go that route. But, my character I think I will be an assassin type. Very hard to hit, fast, and sneaky. Won't be very big on direct combat. And of course, he will use air to his advantage.

~M

Assassins by definition are evil or at least not very Good -- so are you wanting to be the Neutral oriented player ?

Yes I am fine with neutral. Will probably fit better in this case.

~M

If yes that kind means you are going to be Lawful Neutral -- and while you might be viewed as an assassin your race would not look at it this way -- you serve a function and you follow specific guidelines in doing so -- aka a very organized race with very strong hierarchy of class structure

Note technically Lawful Neutral is the only good-ish aligned neutral and while Neutral-Neutral is an option it is very hard to play

That'll work. I'm sure it would be considered lawful to remove obstacles that would bring harm to said race. The rest of the world may not necessarily see it that way, but all well.

Anyway, I have to go to bed. Feel free to respond with any other things that you need and I'll be sure to respond sometime tomorrow. Meanwhile, @The Taleweaver! Hopefully that will get their attention soon.

~M

Idealistically we will have a Lawful Good character, a Neutral Good character, and Chaotic Good character but I am not going to restrict us to that but it would be ideallic

Okay as a limitation to your specific race you cannot wear armor -- so beyond your natural exoskeleton "armor" -- you will have to rely on your dexterity and skills to lower your AC (make you harder to hit) as well as the "magic" your patron allows you to have.

Now you also have to decide do you have low magic and high combat and skills, medium magic, combat, and skills, or high magic and low combat and skills?? There is no wrong answer it comes down to how you see your character functioning and how much "faith" they have so-to-speak Basically if you have high-faith you would probably go high magic as that means you depend more on what you get from your patron than what you can do yourself and vice-versa for low faith -- and medium faith of course falling somewhere in the middle

Also keep in mind that while you have your patron, you would acknowledge the other patrons as well and may even choose to appease some of the evil ones in order to reduce their influence on you. In this world patrons are real and you have obvious tangible results of those beings so not worshipping a patron is nearly not heard of whatsoever and worship of other patrons is par for the course.

Now while there is miracle magic (or patron born magic) there is also wizard magic and the two have some significant differences the biggest two being ... 1) Miracles are static (and the only time you get random results is when you are trying to use one quickly like in combat situations) and Mage magic is dynamic ... 2) Only clerical types use healing magic ... not that mages cannot it is just that they are generally considered to dangerous or simply not practical since you can get a cleric to do it much easier. For instance a Cure Light Wounds spell which would be a 1st Tier Miracle ends up being a 3rd Tier Spell for a Mage since they have to build in the buffer to the positive energy that Clerics get for free. Because while negative magic also called necromancy has the side affecting of eroding your physical attributes once you can become undead this tends to be a positive affect (aka it can heal you) -- positive magic or healing magic if not protected against can have the side-affecting of eroding your mental attributes and eventually you can no longer cast magic so no real positive there just a risky business venture

Oh and just because someone is not an agent of a patron does not mean they cannot cast miracles they just do not get any freebies like agents do and of course nothing but the lowest tiers are even available to non-agents

Probably medium magic, etc. considering my character doesn't really come at things directly. With that in mind, being great at any one thing - be it magic or combat - just does not seem logical. :)

Am I suppose to choose between a patron or magic?

~M

Last edited by a moderator:
Despise double posting. Question. Armor. Well, I found a very basic black/white picture that was inspired by comic books. Is it okay to have armor in areas that aren't vital? In this case, shins and groin area. There is also a helmet but his entire chest and etc. is exposed so I'd consider the vital areas are all open for attack.

Alternatively he has a helmet which in order to balance that I thought of it impeding his ability to talk. It would be a real struggle and could be built into his culture.

~M

No the information about the two types of Magic is something you would be aware of -- you are an Agent of a Patron thus you do Miracles not Mage Magic :)

As for additional armor I would not be overly worried about it -- as a mythical knight once pointed out being a turtle has its disadvantages and does not mean you are completely protected ;)

Further for the most part you could wear light armor I suppose if you felt it was needed but since your natural armor is not bad and armor is basically factored into your ability to not be hit -- avoiding damage can sometimes be just as good unless of course you are caught flat-footed or caused to be such where dex/skills would not apply then it can be very useful -- of course your Miracles might be useful as well to help you up your protection but this will depend on what Domains you select once we get to that point.

Think about your society how you think it might look and such, I will meld your ideas with mine to give you an overview of where you come from and what that means overall

Back