Players Wanted for Tabletop Fantasy Past

I'm also thinking of a hive mentality. A species with very broad goals. Not sure religion is a good motivation but some odd sense of justice. Could explain why they may favor some form of conquest or war and have no problems killing people. Only the strong survive and anyone who doesn't align with the hive is done away with. Also think they could be nomads in a sense. Travel from one area to the next, exhaust its resources, and move on. Like the idea of an assassin who took an oath not to talk. Light armor for appearances only and a helmet. Isn't allowed to show his face. Very secretive race. Maybe he talks through some form of telekinesis. Helps him remain quiet.

Their land is covered in floating islands, full of pockets of caves and dwellings. They live a simple existence. Move from place to place and return when the land replenishes. Mainly live in vast cave networks and stuff though (think a bee hive). They aren't big on technology but they are very smart and organized. Sustain flight, they are fast, agile, and can see long distances. Probably have scouts scattered across their land.

While they may have a standing army, they prefer to kill from a distance. Strategically tackle enemy forces with potential guerilla warfare tactics rather than face them head on. And they are quite successful at doing this. Perhaps are a dual species of those who can fly and those who can't.

~M

To add, they use spears, daggers, and arrows. All potentially dipped with poisons. Bleed their opponents strength and kill them slowly. Leave them dying and move on to something else. They won't bother with torture or overkill.

~M

Okay I agree with the sort of "hive mentality" or collective consciousness thing but it has to be a sort that does not interfere to much with individualism otherwise it would cripple the character in a sense. I was thinking about this more myself and yes a sort of agree to some points but differ on a few others. First off your race reveres -- Akadi the Great Mother (think Queen Bee, Queen Ant, etc ... ) she is the goddess of Air, Movement, Speed, Law, Insects and perhaps a few more (need to get my notes together to flesh her out more) her Antithesis is Lolth the Spider Queen the goddess of Arachnids, Evil, Darkness and perhaps a few more. Your race would of course not be on very good terms with the evil fire god(dess) as Fire opposes Air -- oh and Air covers -- Air, Gas, Cold but not Wind as Wind is the prevue of the element Void.

I and see the concept of broad goals but what goals are you envisioning perhaps that they might have.

As for the odd sense of justice -- you live to serve the Mother and your race -- so yeah very race-centric. Only the Strong Survive is more the venue of Lawful Evil -- although if you cannot fulfill your purpose you would probably become an outcast of your society -- and while most would seek an honorable death not every one does -- so there would be those outcast of your race that live amongst the other races. As for doing away with those that do not align with collective I would say no as this would make them to antagonistic to function with other societies -- I would look more at them as if you mess with one you mess with them all mentality but they have rules and laws to govern how they deal with such things. So in some ways a very legalistic society as well.

The Nomad concept works to a degree but more because the sky islands do not stay put more so than that they themselves travel from point to point. Making the sky islands more like barren asteroids (an interpretation I got from reading your comments) seems like an interesting and viable twist. Now you are an Exterminator but you caste is not the main army so-to-speak that belongs the the Wasp caste and while yes your caste are snipers but at lower levels (where you will be) you do not have the full mobility and such that you will eventually have (game balance thing)

As for exhausting resources -- not truly what I was thinking -- more like Ants you collect and store and grow food and such but yes you have to acquire many of your resources from the ground but you can also fashion your own things as well that are not atypical of most society -- thing light-weight "paper" armor (like what a wasp nest but harder) --- as for your character wearing a "helmet" perhaps it is because they did some sort of dishonorable thing and that is their punishment and marks them as such -- just because you did something dishonorable though does not mean you cannot be chosen by the Mother for this particular quest -- perhaps it is a way for you to redeem yourself and regain your honor --- try to think feudal Japan in some regards here

Again as for the "army" the main tactic of most social insects is to Swarm so I would feel that would be its main tactic in battle your caste is simply used for the more surgical strikes that are needed from time to time

I thought about grounding some of the race but then decided against it -- all of your race and sub-races within it have wings and can fly to some degree -- granted they younger ones are not good at long term sustained flight but they can at least glide allowing them to easily hitch a ride with another of their species in a long line if needed.

More to come -- and need you to start examining your character about who they are and what they are and such -- what makes them -- unique-ish especially in a collective society

All sounds well and good. Perhaps their goal in a sense can be just shifted to survival in general. Very territorial even. As for individuality, I will dwell on that for a moment. No ideas forthcoming.

~M

By the way being a race of insectoidish humanoids it is not cannibalism if you eat a human which will add a layer of difficulty of your character fitting in -- so while you are not a traitor -- it is not going to be the easiest to trust you completely either as you are like soon foreign to all other races especially the more human ones

So do you want to have a more human face or will a bug face be okay ?

Maybe something like this but replace the second set of arms with retractable dragonfly-like wings

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Thri-kreen

I am thinking a blend of the two. Definitely humanoid, and most definitely not completely human or bug for that matter. Think a medium could be found there. Really it doesn't matter considering I won't show my face at all. So you can really do what you will when it comes to that. Also, I think the hive mind should only apply to the sense that everyone is connected. The race is dangerous because if one knows, they all know. Some level of telepathy in play here but I don't think they should outright be stripped of free will. But they are driven by a sense of law, religion, and duty to do their part.

~M

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are meaning to say some level of telepathy

As for looks really depends on how you want to describe your character but I personally think I would take that picture and perhaps make it a bit more humanish in appearance perhaps replace the mandibles with a insectoidish-humanish mouth something obviously not human but not completely bug either -- how does that sound Have the eyes perhaps overly large but not multi-faceted or maybe have 2 sets of eyes one short range and one long range the short range ones located more human like though still slightly bigger and the long range a bit more bug like and significantly larger positioned on just outside and above the short range eyes

All sounds good. Yes, telepathy. I knew I had the word wrong, to be honest, but I was too lazy thinking about what I actually wanted to say. Nonetheless, we discussed outcasts and people being on their own so I don't think a strict hive mindset would fit that concept. The race should merely be connected but that doesn't mean they all listen. The big thing here is since birth, they have been trained to think a certain way. Surely defects occur.

~M

Yes I will cover my thoughts on the collective thing a bit more as we go but individuals cannot actually tap into the collective without the help of a speaker -- another caste -- basically a branch of the priest sect

We need to start focusing more in on your specific character though to hammer out their details -- you playing male or female

Well, meanwhile we should see if we can attract more people.

~M

That too :) I will continue to work on your race -- going to borrow a name from DnD and call your race collective the Thri-Kreen

To bad they won't let me open up an area early will need a place to post informational

Keep me updated. All sounds well and good. Hopefully, more people will look into this.

~M

Hello! I saw you mention the old-man Hero type? Could this be a Hero who is considered a hero but does not consider himself one? A 60-something man who just wants to be left alone but will, reluctantly, fight to protect people?
I'd love to play an aging guy who is thought as a person past his prime but was a hero once-upon-a-time, sort of thing? Let me know!

That could work -- the only question is how do you see creating the character such that you reflect the "full life" and yet have him now be an Agent for his Patron ?? So not saying no... just wondering what your answer might be to this question. Note I have a couple possible ideas but would like to hear yours first since you proposed the concept.

Note I do have a "Priest" class that are less combat oriented than the normal Clerical types that are often found in these kinds of games. So he would not have had to know how to fight before or after becoming the Agent of his Patron (Diety) -- well depending some on who his Patron is which you get to help formulate so there is that too to consider.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean but he'd definitely know how to fight, he'd most likely be a close quarters fighter; I see him using a two-handed weapon.

Also, as far as Meliodas' (love the name, by the way) bugman goes, have a look at a character called Slim from the game Evolve. Although the setting of evolve is a little too scifi, Slim is a buglike humanoid which might be perfect for you.

Oh okay did not realize your old man would be into fighting I guess your idea of old man and mine are different ;) no biggy. Okay well again how do you go about reflecting an older man's background in game mechanics if everyone is basically starting at the same power level (for lack of better terminology)? I have always seen this as a fairly difficult thing when I have to approach creating an older character in a situation where most the group is younger and yet the older character is no better in skills than a younger characters. Further depending on how old this character is -- the "older" element other than roleplaying might not have any affect on the game at all -- especially the game mechanics side.

Oh and please do not think I am shooting the idea down because I am not just wanting to understand the concept.

Can you give us a URL to this Slim -- as I would like to look at him as well.

I have no idea how it'd be evened out, aha. Have you ever seen the Anime Bleach? There's an old guy in that which is basically what I'm going for. I'll link you a picture of him and Slim.
Also, I'm thinking more of a Katana build now xD

This is Old guy when he is normal:
CaptainYamamotoGenryu-usai02.jpg

This is Old Guy topless (To show experience):
latest

And this is Slim:
attachment.php

Hope this is helpful xD

okay well we have 2 interested parties as soon as we get a 3rd I can launch the official game --- although we can still work on fleshing out characters here if you want

Back