Prison Reform/Justice System

SacredWarrior

Umbra Witch
For those who live in the U.S., the prison and justice system is often criticized and rightfully so. The United States has the highest incarceration rates in the entire world even when you control for population and it's been proven that both a racial and gender bias exists in the court system.

Where do you stand on the justice system and prison reform and what do you think can be done?

Personally I think the following needs to happen:
  1. End The War On Drugs. It's a huge failure and is easily the main culprit for the high incarceration rates. It's also incredibly racist and destroys the black and Hispanic/Latino communities.
  2. Non-violent crimes should not lead to incarceration nor should they be felonies. They definitely should not call for a police response. Ex: Eric Garner.
  3. Family court system needs to be less biased against fathers and domestic violence needs to take into account that women can be aggressors. MEN CAN BE VICTIMS. Don't even get me started on sexual crimes.
Those are just some of the solutions that I think should happen as far as the U.S. is concerned. What do you guys think?

I'd also wager some of the most effective solutions to reducing crime/incarceration in the US would be those that somehow manage to address equally problematic issues like economic inequality or the poor state of the educational system.

Personally, I'd also like to see all investigations of the police be conducted by an outside agency as well (I don't think it's fair to anyone, police or civilians to have the police investigate their own actions, largely because asking people not to be biased is pretty hard if not impossible, especially when they are investigating other members of a group they strongly identify with).

I also think that the training for pretty much all law enforcement and criminal justice personnel needs to be seriously revamped (more funding, more training, more training on how to de-escalation, more support for said groups of people, especially following traumatic events, and a much greater focus on hiring people who aren't likely to abuse their position of power).

Finally, getting rid of the huge focus on for profit prisons (much like for profit schools, the result is rarely great, beyond a few elite private universities) and the lobbyists that work for the prison industry would be a great start.

Last edited:
The police are as equipped as they need to be. When any old guy with a shotgun can take out a couple cops, it's important they have every advantage available.
There's so much anti-police sentiment and officers even off-duty being shot that it'd be stupid not to have all this gear.
To be fair, it's their own fault half the time. They have a fraternity mindset and ignore each other breaking the law too often, and go against their own regulations. Shooting innocent dogs needs to stop. A terrier, a chihuahua or a puppy isn't a threat to your raid, and the gunshots are going to give you away anyway.

Still, people cling to negativity easier than positivity, and the coverage of the bad things police have done is extremely extensive, whereas the good is minimal at best. Instead of hating the individuals, the public comes to hate all cops based on the actions of the few, and inevitably, people have lashed out and taken lives of honest men and women for the uniform they wear rather than the quality of their character.

The only reform for the prison system I can think is a change in policy to lower the number of drug offenders in prison. It'll be cheaper for the government, lessen prison crowding and lessen demand for prisons. How? Some legalization of light drugs.
States that have legalized pot for instance are still running just fine with no spike in crime, and drug cartels now have serious competition that don't have to hide from the government. I hate pot, I don't want to use it, I dislike the users, I hate the culture, but I can't deny there are benefits for changing our policy. People are going to get ahold of it anyway.

That's a judicial thing though, not the prisons. There's nothing wrong with private prisons.
The government and states that pay a company to run the prison separates the entity earning the money from those doing the arresting and the trials. There's an ethical advantage. You can't advocate for outside groups being involved in the judicial oversight to limit their power without also being for
Motivation to trim the fat in the system and keep things running smoothy and cheaply without high expenses is easier when there are not so many governmental regulations telling these people what they can do as there would be for our government.

If it's more uncomfortable for the prisoners, then that's fine. I couldn't care less. You shouldn't be eating and living better than the poor, destitute, and homeless on the government dollar after hurting the citizens that it represents by committing crimes. You want luxuries from the outside world? Pay more for it, or deal without it. Your family shouldn't be going broke so you can have sugary treats while in prison.
This shouldn't be like some Nordic countries where a guy who guns down fifty people goes on a hunger strike over a Playstation and gets what he wants. You should be uncomfortable. Your imprisonment should not be like an extended hotel stay.

I have no sympathy for people caught possessing drugs, even if I wish they weren't in prison, because they knew the risks they were taking; they gambled and lost. 'Victimless crime' is bull, unless they were moving 'legal' Colarado pot over state lines themselves they were probably funding some gang or cartel activity indirectly. Even then, the consequences are well known, and to get high for a few hours isn't worth it. Unless it's an addictive substance that compels you to get more, a user should be of sound enough mind not to take that risk... Or just smoke it where it's legal and not bring any home.

What about the comfort of innocent people? A minority at best, and I don't think missing out on multiple months or even years of their lives, watching children grow up, losing jobs, missing their relatives, important events in the world or in their family, or becoming unemployable forever really gets balanced out by a few years of higher quality living conditions. The moment you're in the system, your life as you knew it is over. It's going to suck no matter what. Don't break the law.

Don't break the law.

You do realize how much bullshit laws that the U.S. has right? There are such things as victimless crimes and most of the prisoners in the U.S. prison system are in prison because of those stupid laws. Non-violent drug offenders shouldn't be in prison period. Rehabilitation is proven to be far better and cheaper. If someone wishes to sell, they should do so. As long as violence isn't happening, it's a victimless crime no matter how you slice it Alcohol is one of the worst drugs there is and if that can be legalized and regulated, so can every other damn drug. It's getting to the point where drug offenders get more years in prison than fucking child molesters and rapists. That's unacceptable and disgusting.

Sorry but if I wanna live under a dictatorship so badly, I'll go move to North Korea. Interracial marriage used to be illegal in the U.S. and we just legalized gay marriage not too long ago. Don't even get me started on movements like the Civil Rights Movement. Sometimes breaking the law is a GOOD thing. That's how change happens and maybe if governments didn't try to dictate how people live their lives and listen to their citizens like they're supposed to, they wouldn't be dealing with so much shit.

I never said anything about the comfort of prisoners. Violent criminals deserve to suffer. Non-violent criminals however do not. You are aware that they make up about 80% of the U.S. prison system right? Considering that violent crime in the western world has been dropping steadily for decades now. There are far bigger things to prison reform and the justice system than just drug legalization. I already mentioned how sexist and racist it is (and yes those things have been proven).

Victimless crime is blatantly wrong to call drug crime; you don't see who the victim is, so I guess it's understandable you would call it that. Let's just forget the idea that hard drugs other than weed (and maybe shrooms or ecstacy) exist, because you're revolving your statements around harmless drugs. Unless you really mean that cocaine or PCP is less harmful than alcohol.
Alcohol has a culture, cooking applications, and helped society as we formed it exist. The first measurement system (Imperial) came to exist because of alcohol. So dies the concept of currency. Roads, infrastructure, all of it was made to ship beer around. Alcohol gets a pass because of that, like it or not.

These same victims who were destabilized during cold war are suffering in Central America. Weak and without a stable government, they barely have police, let alone armies to handle drug cartels with anti-material grade rifles.
A gang that goes out into the streets guns blazing is going to get mowed down in America. Other countries it is a different story, like in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, and now there's even potential in Venezuela due to starvation and unrest.

Whereas here most gangs can't have open power outside of cities like Chicago where the ideal circumstances exist and the people in power are simply too lazy to do anything about it or they're scared of re-election, gangs in Central America are as powerful as the local governments.
These aren't the cartels that industrialized entire central american nations in the 70's. If you made that argument and we were both alive back then, I might have agreed with you. Maybe.
The new generation just beheads cops, soldiers, mayors and legislators on decaying overpasses and they leave the body there as a warning. They invade homes, take what they want, and are idolized for their influence, wealth and power.
These same gangs are testing their luck expanding here in America, and are a rising threat to our country. They haven't hit the level of danger to the public they once did in the 70's, but we learned a valuable lesson from that time. They need to be pushed out, and the best way to fight them is to take away their money.

The only way to make the easy money and power brought on by an industry supporting crime that oppresses literal NATIONS is to make it as unattractive as possible.
We're reaching a point where legalization is the option to de-fund drug cartels, whether the country likes it or not. Currently, however, the only thing keeping these criminals in check is making their game incredibly risky to play by putting your entire future on the line. Yes, even for the purchasers.

You may be thinking, "What about home grows? Or dispensaries? That's victimless." Home grows are risky, uncommon and often used only by their growers. Dispensaries can just as easily fund crime nationally as well as make citizens in their home states happy. Illegally smuggled weed still accounts for as LOW as 80% of weed. Why should a small percentage of outliers make the government soften its stance, especially so early in the game of states legalizing weed? It gives an avenue for actual criminals to avoid punishment, like every other tax loophole our corporations abuse.

If you're trying to imply that these laws are stupid, archaic, and difficult to understand, that's fundamentally wrong regarding drugs. Say whatever you want about other laws, particularly cars, guns, houses, and even taxes, but drugs are cut and dry.
Drugs are not a gray area law that's going to trick you into breaking it, it's a federal crime whos law have supremacy, allowing them to trump state law if needed. The vast majority of people in prison didn't find it sitting on the street corner up for grabs and end up unlawfully searched by the police and incarcerated with such an arrest holding up in court.

Mandatory minimums have been around since before the advent of the internet.
Parents know better, grandparents know better, and it's likely you could ask someone at your average gas station how much an ounce of weed will get you and they'll tell you "Five years" or maybe "Thirty bucks" first.
Almost every form of media has some sort of drug story, even childrens shows have brushed against how illegal and immoral it is to handle drugs.
Literal children know not to get involved with drugs.

Ignorance is no excuse for non-compliance, if it were even a believable excuse in the first place; anything else is willfully breaking the law and should come with consequence. Every drug offender in prison has earned their spot, and should probably remain there even if weed is legalized.

People playing high stakes games that know the odds deserve no sympathy when they lose.

Back