Requiem

TrashierThanThou

法皇の緑
Prologue.

The old fortune teller stepped out of the tavern's entrance, wooden cane in one hand and all his earthly belongings in another, and shivered as the cold autumn wind greeted him with a sharp blow that whipped at his face and made his eyes water. He pulled his cloak around him tighter and stood under the ledge of the tavern, taking comfort in what little shelter his worn cloak offered, surveying the street in front of him with squinting eyes.

It was well enough into autumn that the nights brought about brutal drops in temperature, a sheen of frost having descended upon the buildings and the bare trees. The street was almost empty except for a lone straggler or two, men and women hurrying about with their hands deep in the pockets of their plump fur coats and woollen jackets, paying no due to the wizened old fortune teller standing in front of the tavern door. He remembered a time when people were kinder, but in recent years they seemed to have grown afraid of everyone else that wasn't themselves. The tavern itself was empty, for he was the last to leave. For the price of a half-mark a day they allowed him to set up his shop in a table in a corner room where he would read tarots and consult the fates for the people who were interested enough to pay. But business was slow, especially this winter. Times were getting hard, and the fortune teller felt it deep in his bones, a hunger that chilled his core and made his mouth dry, and he huddled further into his cloak.

In a sudden motion he raised his head slightly, as if to take the biting cold of the winter air into his chest, before turning his head to the overcast grey sky. A single crow flew by, shrieking its song, and the fortune teller squinted as it landed upon a slate-grey roof, delivering a single jarring note that broke the silence of the autumn dusk.

The fortune teller heard premonition in the crow's song. There has been a foreboding that had hung in the air for days, a feeling of dread he couldn't explain away, and the crow's song confirmed his doubts. He knew next to nothing about the politics that ran this country, hell- he barely knew how to read. If he could, he would have learnt of the invisible demons that haunted every city, fears and prejudice pushing the people towards the brink of something terrible that threatened to tear the ancient nation apart. But he didn't need knowledge to recognise instinct, and today his vision spelled fear. Of what he did not know, but he was never wrong.

"Something is coming," he muttered to no one in particular.

Thousands of miles away, over many Western cities near the border of the desert, the night sky lit up with gunpowder and fire.

Welcome to Requiem.

About fifty years ago, in the harbours of the nation of Avarein, the Technologists first made their presence known to the native inhabitants of the ancient country. The survivors of a disaster that claimed their own homeland, they sought and were granted refuge by the Mage Council. Docking their steam-powered ships and moving their strange metal devices inland, the Technologists settled into their new homes without much fanfare or dispute. All was well.

Peace, however, is now history.

Today Avarein is a nation at war with itself, the native Mages against no other than the Technologists they welcomed scarcely five decades ago. The growing Technologist population has seen a booming growth in the development and demand for industry and technology, and where the need for land and resources grew louder, so did the voices of prejudice against the Technologists. The tolerance the Mages had for the eccentric ways of the Technologists soon grew into disdain, and eventually into disgust and fear that the strange new immigrants might one day take over the land that they once owned. Louder and louder the voices of protest grew, until the Mage Council, unable to pacify its people, finally decreed for all Technologists to be gone from Avarein in one fortnight’s time, or suffer the consequences.

The Technologists, of course, were angered, and where blind rage and wounded pride clashed together the result was an ugly desire for revenge. Overnight entire cities close to the west border were decimated, flattened to the ground with bombardment and gunfire, and from their base the Technologists pushed further inland, gaining more and more ground at an alarming rate. Entire villages were evacuated, more pillaged and plundered, and soon the Technologist front had claimed nearly two-fifths of Avarein’s land, the situation reaching such a critical point that the Mage Council made the decision to reopen the Auditorium of Calystra- the Sanctuary of Peace, last used for negotiations thousands of years ago for the unification of Avarein- this time to call for a peace conference in hopes of preventing an all-out war from ravaging the country.

Today, the great Technologist front looms as teams of delegates and leaders stream towards the heart of the Avarein, where the Auditorium lies. A nation holds its breath as all eyes, Mage and Technologist, look towards the Auditorium’s doors, set to open in a month to seal the fate of Avarein, through war or through peace. The outcome of the conference is unclear and the nation’s future uncertain.

The Auditorium awaits.

General Overview.

Requiem is a fantasy RP with sci-fi elements and will be following an established plot predetermined by the GMs. Characters are free to do whatever they want, but the outcome of their actions will have little to nothing to affect the general direction of the story. However, this RP does not follow a strict plot, and players will have the liberty to explore the world as well as choose their interactions. The purpose is is war, and a bloody war we will have, but everything else in between is fair game to capitalize and develop on.

Recruitment and a few Rules.

1. There's a bit of a history with this RP of ours, but long story short, we actually already have a lot of pre existing players. However, we are looking to recruit about 3-5 more players. Interested players, please indicate your interest and refer to the character sheet below to submit a character. Each player is allowed to have 1 playable character only. NPCs can be submitted, but will only be added as needed.
2. As this RP has a huge amount of players, a lot of collaboration will be required for the most part to advance the plot. As such, communication is essential between players. There is an official discord server for this RP for discussion, and the link is below. Note: please do not join this server if you are not in the RP itself. For questions or clarifications, please post it in the thread here. Thank you.
3. The GMs for this RP are TrashierThanThou (me!) and Slashingwinds. We have the right to step in for an issue if needed. In this RP, other than GMs, we also have a team of leaders called the Council. They are EvrinKai, Shiore and ArQane. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of us.

Last edited:
Character Sheet
*note: please do not post here! There will be a separate thread for characters coming soon!

Name

Include full name, nicknames, as well as any titles.

Age/Gender

Self explanatory.

Appearance

Your character should be a human, or some sort of hybrid. Characters of other species can be considered, but generally we aren't looking for any. Faceclaims are welcome.

Personality

What is your character like? Give us a general idea of your character’s mindset and personality.

Strengths and Weaknesses

Each character should have strengths and weaknesses. We aren’t looking for a Mary Sue, so make sure that your character is realistic and, in turn, flawed in some manner.

Affiliated Faction

Note that there is a clear cut line between Technologists and Mageborn. Your character is either one or the other. If you choose to make your character affiliated with a third party, make sure to discuss it with the Council before creating your character (IE: Independent traveler, terrorists)

Backstory

We want a brief history of your character (up to his/her present age). Who is this character? What is the character’s social status/role? Why does the character act the way he/she does? Brevity is the soul of wit, but write as much as you need to fully realize your character.

Last edited:
Sure! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. I might take a while to respond though, since it's night time for me here.
Aww, that's alright. I understand how that is.

So, first question. My idea for a character is sort of a cannon thing for my own universe. Is it alright if he's from another world? It wouldn't have much affect on your story, unless people asked him about his past. He's just stranded in a different world from his original one. Would that be acceptable? I can make it he's just from another land instead. I just thought it'd be nice to actually give him more then just, "this happened" for my own stories.

Second. If the main point is going to end up being war, are we limited on how powerful our character can be? I'm not going to make him crazy... I just want to be on the same page as everyone else in the end so I'm not too low or too high.

Aww, that's alright. I understand how that is.

So, first question. My idea for a character is sort of a cannon thing for my own universe. Is it alright if he's from another world? It wouldn't have much affect on your story, unless people asked him about his past. He's just stranded in a different world from his original one. Would that be acceptable? I can make it he's just from another land instead. I just thought it'd be nice to actually give him more then just, "this happened" for my own stories.

Second. If the main point is going to end up being war, are we limited on how powerful our character can be? I'm not going to make him crazy... I just want to be on the same page as everyone else in the end so I'm not too low or too high.
As far as we figured, we want to kind of steer clear of the own universe thing. My character was exactly that in the older build, and we figured she was a bit forced in. We are trying to keep characters natural according to the plot.
As for power, if your character is accepted, it will be subject to balancing with the Council. Note that always making the strongest character you can get isn't always necessary. Having weaker characters can always have its times to shine.

NAME
Storm Sterling

AGE AND GENDER
About 15, male.
APPEARANCE
A long sleeve dark green shirt and blue jeans. Red shoes, black hair. There is a sword on his back, and a piece of glass in front of his left eye.
PERSONALITY
Brave and settled. Storm doesn't really care about much, unless things go out of hand. Then he starts to get concerned. He is also nice, but paranoid. He is a JUMPER, and is afraid of what might happen.
What?
BACKSTORY
Storm had a brother named Yuka. They were basically lab experiments, and tortured all the time. Why? Storm and Yuka had powers. Eventually, Storm found a way out, and Yuka sacrificed himself so Storm could escape.
After, he met Skye, Emily, and Hood. Hood had a plan to get rid of everyone in the universe. Storm managed to stop him, but led to the death of Skye. He jumped 2 more dimensions, each saving millions. He had a reputation, and was called a legendary Jumper..
You are missing a few attributes that were requested on the application. Try reviewing them and filling the in, that way we get a better understanding of your character.

Find it funny how I thought I could get into an RP this good. Oh well. As they say, "If something seems too good to be true, it probobly is." Sorry about my temper. It gets frustrating. Put yourself in my shoes. Bye.

Find it funny how I thought I could get into an RP this good. Oh well. As they say, "If something seems too good to be true, it probobly is." Sorry about my temper. It gets frustrating. Put yourself in my shoes. Bye.
Avoid trashing our thread with insults, bearing in mind that we are still recruiting. We simply were asking you to design a new character that would fit more in line with the roleplay itself, so I'm sorry you found it difficult to meet those demands.
You told me that this character took time for you to build, and I understand how that is. But reusing the characters over and over is a slap in the face to us 15+ people that designed original characters for this specific RP.
However way you choose to go, I wish you the best of luck.

Avoid trashing our thread with insults, bearing in mind that we are still recruiting. We simply were asking you to design a new character that would fit more in line with the roleplay itself, so I'm sorry you found it difficult to meet those demands.
You told me that this character took time for you to build, and I understand how that is. But reusing the characters over and over is a slap in the face to us 15+ people that designed original characters for this specific RP.
However way you choose to go, I wish you the best of luck.
. . . Heh. Back at you.

Back