Requiem

So can I assume like most games on here it is totally freeform and that I full control over what happens to and with my character ??

"Freeform" in regards to online text-based role-playing games (Play-By-Post) are RPGs that lack rules, lack statistics by which to judge a character's abilities and/or contain only some very basic guidelines; relying instead on the player's acting abilities and commitment to a good story. These are sometimes also called consent-based, because what happens to a character is influenced by a potential "veto" from that character's player. These systems must either rely on carefully selected individuals or strict moderation, in order to prevent less mature players from taking advantage (god-moding) of the rule-free environment, for example by unrealistically shielding their characters from the consequences of their actions. Some freeform PbPs closely resemble collaborative writing, while others have a slightly more structured rule set, such as the Role Player's Creed.

As opposed to RPGs that use mechanics to define a characters abilities and have strict guidelines on what a character can and cannot do and where the outcome of contest are subject to random results influenced by the characters abilities and what the player is trying to do with those abilities. A system that greatly prevents god-moding or convenient saves by a player just because they choose not to have bad things happen to their character. A system where things are more like real life because you do not control everything that can happen to you character but you do still completely control your character.

"Freeform" in regards to online text-based role-playing games (Play-By-Post) are RPGs that lack rules, lack statistics by which to judge a character's abilities and/or contain only some very basic guidelines; relying instead on the player's acting abilities and commitment to a good story. These are sometimes also called consent-based, because what happens to a character is influenced by a potential "veto" from that character's player. These systems must either rely on carefully selected individuals or strict moderation, in order to prevent less mature players from taking advantage (god-moding) of the rule-free environment, for example by unrealistically shielding their characters from the consequences of their actions. Some freeform PbPs closely resemble collaborative writing, while others have a slightly more structured rule set, such as the Role Player's Creed.

As opposed to RPGs that use mechanics to define a characters abilities and have strict guidelines on what a character can and cannot do and where the outcome of contest are subject to random results influenced by the characters abilities and what the player is trying to do with those abilities. A system that greatly prevents god-moding or convenient saves by a player just because they choose not to have bad things happen to their character. A system where things are more like real life because you do not control everything that can happen to you character but you do still completely control your character.
Our RP is heavily freeform, but the Council will be keeping the power balance in check. Players are asked to reach a certain destination, but what they do is up to them. Of course, if things get too out of hand, the Council, again, will step in.
Player interactions hold the writer responsible to contact the other player the entire way through. If a consensus hasn't been made, it is expected that they reach one prior to the post, or (if it comes down to it) bring it up to the Council to vote on.
Post order is disregarded, however; we expect that someone does not have too many posts in a short timeframe. If possible, keep the post above 500 words.

So -- Yes -- it is Freeform with slightly structured rule set ... which to me takes out a major element of RPGing and that is sh** happens and sometimes it happens to your character whether you want it to our not and in Freeform it almost never happens to your character unless you are okay with it -- aka want it to happen.

So -- Yes -- it is Freeform with slightly structured rule set ... which to me takes out a major element of RPGing and that is sh** happens and sometimes it happens to your character whether you want it to our not and in Freeform it almost never happens to your character unless you are okay with it -- aka want it to happen.
We don't encourage the killing off of characters, but there is no guarentees that they will survive, either. Our roleplay is influenced by player interactions and expecting players to avoid godmodding. There's nothing wrong with taking some damage, nor is it to kill your own character, should he/she find himself/herself in a sticky situation.

You really have to understand our team in order to understand the RP. We are less oriented to a group of individual writers with individual motives, but more of a bonded group with a solid understanding of how the roleplay should go. The freeform takes into account that most of our characters are not remotely close to every other character, but rather spread out over the nation. This gives them a lot of leeway in exploring around to
1. Create a better picture of the scene
2. Bring personality to his or her own character.

Each character's actions are monitored, and the Council has heavy control over deciding a character's fate. But the actions also influence the course of the RP itself, so players are forced to be careful to avoid where would be undesirable to their characters.

Yes that is exactly what I do when I run a Mechanicentric game -- just everyone has clear well defined fences on what their character can do and/or perhaps how well they might be able to do it -- and then there is the chaos -- random dice rolling -- which players do not have to be concerned with (thus making it feel more freeformish) as I will take care of that behind the scenes but they never know if an action will or will not succeed prior to attempting said action -- well unless it is something as simple as walking across a normal room with no other unknown elements floating about.

Further I do not try to kill characters, but then again I do not try not to either. Further I always tell players if you are fighting everything you encounter you are doing something wrong and will eventually die since not all encounters are the kind you can survive if you take them head on. However, I will admit my ST style is a lot different than many others that use the mechanicentric style and perhaps they are what you are basing your understanding of when making your comments. I find the mechanics actually enhance the game as long as when they are implemented they are not too restricting in what a player can and cannot play and/or do and not do.

But I have not found a Freeform game that I have enjoyed due to the whimsical nature that seems to float through out them. Not saying all are this way but the handful of them that I have been involved with -- I always yearned for mechanics to help curb some behaviors within the game.

Yes that is exactly what I do when I run a Mechanicentric game -- just everyone has clear well defined fences on what their character can do and/or perhaps how well they might be able to do it -- and then there is the chaos -- random dice rolling -- which players do not have to be concerned with (thus making it feel more freeformish) as I will take care of that behind the scenes but they never know if an action will or will not succeed prior to attempting said action -- well unless it is something as simple as walking across a normal room with no other unknown elements floating about.

Further I do not try to kill characters, but then again I do not try not to either. Further I always tell players if you are fighting everything you encounter you are doing something wrong and will eventually die since not all encounters are the kind you can survive if you take them head on. However, I will admit my ST style is a lot different than many others that use the mechanicentric style and perhaps they are what you are basing your understanding of when making your comments. I find the mechanics actually enhance the game as long as when they are implemented they are not too restricting in what a player can and cannot play and/or do and not do.

But I have not found a Freeform game that I have enjoyed due to the whimsical nature that seems to float through out them. Not saying all are this way but the handful of them that I have been involved with -- I always yearned for mechanics to help curb some behaviors within the game.

Basically in this role play you have the freedom to control every aspect of your character as long as you don't step out of line. No godmodding, no random stupidity unless it's an attribute of your character, that kind of stuff. We want to stray away from killing other characters but there are times when it just wouldn't fit if the character didn't die. I played a character in a previous role play in which he used forbidden magic in a strictly no magic area. This resulted in the death of my character because people can't let stuff like that fly. Stay literal, stay realistic.

Understand but again I find Freeform not to my taste because no matter what you do without mechanics you really have no guidelines as to what one can and cannot do -- plus "balance" is like smoke almost impossible to get a handle on it -- but mostly I was just seeing if the game was freeform or not -- as the premise sounded interesting. *shrug* still to each their own I say -- no big deal

Last edited:
So it seems like there's plenty of characters already set up, is there room for at least one more?
You're just in time, actually. We are hovering on the starting mark, so you have a bit of time to scrap up a character ;)

You're just in time, actually. We are hovering on the starting mark, so you have a bit of time to scrap up a character ;)
I wonder how long until the GMs press the button because I am just about ready to push the character out the door

I wonder how long until the GMs press the button because I am just about ready to push the character out the door
Currently, we are on stand-by. There's no specific date we intend to start the RP, and we have leverage to push back the date a little. At the moment, we are finishing up getting everything situated, and it's only a matter of time before the RP is to start. We currently have 20+ members strong, so we need to take into account their speed of creating their characters, and should you join the RP, we will wait for you as well.

Back