SF Reboot (Closed)

aryamajor

Curious Adventurer
Benefactor
@marsbat @Pawnige

She sat on a ledge over looking an icy river, a battered book of poems held between her gloved fingers. It was cold here in this part of the human world this time of year it seemed. Turning a yellowed page, she read the fading lines. Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage. Rage against the dying of the light. Smiling to herself, she slipped the booklet into her peacoat pocket and disappeared to find the first of the last.

Lady leaned against the frame of the dark doorway leading to the hospital cafeteria. Her eyes were unwaveringly set on the tanned, neatly trimmed face of Eyrth Hassan as he sat near the back at a long table alone on his mid-shift break. A clock mounted on the wall ticked, providing the only sounds in the vacant eatery besides the man shifting in his chair.
She had been watching him for sometime and decided to extend him the offer as soon as she had seen him work. She let him rest in silence for 20 minutes, after a difficult patient, and then walked over to him, her black heels clacking on the tile floor. Smoothing her black skirt, she sat in the chair in front of him, smiling kindly. "Hello, Eryth Hassan."

Eryth looked up at the woman, uncrossing his arms and sitting up straight in the chair. It was strange to see anyone around at this hour, much less someone who wasn't high as a kite or looking for somewhere warm to sleep.

"Hello? May I help you?"

"I am Lady" she replied, "And whether or not you can help me depends on what you decide after this conversation. First, I must ask you, a question, why do you love what you do, here?"

"Uh..." Eryth wasn't sure what to say, 'Lady' seemed like some sort of reporter based on the question, but no sane reporter was wandering the streets at three in the morning. "Well, I guess I like helping people. I think that this is the best way I can do it."

"What if I told that there was somewhere, with many people, that needed your help desperately?" She replied, looking him in the eye, "Would you try to help? Even if it meant giving up what you have here?"

"That's a good question... I guess if I really thought I could do more good there than here I would go. Why do you ask?"

"Because there is such a place," Lady said, her eyes looking a little sad, "It is very far away and dangerous...a sort of war zone as you would call it....terrible things are happening to the people that live there."

She paused and her eyes shifted down to her hands for a second, and a brief memory sparked in her mind, before she looked back to him. "This place would be dangerous for you. A test of your strength and resolve."

"Syria? I was thinking of flying out, I just think I can do more good here."

Her smile returned, but tinged with a bit of sadness. " Its much further than Syria. If you came to this place, came with me, it would mean leaving this world behind for an entirely new one. A place you must see to believe and one that is in desperate need of your care. You would be learning new skills, helping countless people and saving many lives."

She paused and stretched her hand out to his, a slip of parchment paper. "I believe you could do good wherever you are Eryth," she nodded sincerely, "But should you decide to help my world...help me save it...take this paper and follow the instructions on it. It will lead you to me."

Eryth stood, taking the paper and fiddling with it in his hand, but not reading it. His blue scrubs shifting as he looked back up to Lady.

He took the paper and fumbled with it and she smiled. "Think it over, Eryth Hassan." When he looked back up she was gone.

Eryth looked around the cafeteria, not seeing any of the doors moving. He walked over to the front desk, still not having looked at the note. "Did a woman in black just come through here?"

The receptionist stashed her phone and tugged at her pink scrubs as she looked at him. "No, I havent seen a single soul in 20 minutes. Not since that Spivey kid with broken nose came through. Is she a patient?"

"No... no. Thanks." Eryth walked back to the cafeteria, finally opening the note.

Burn me.

He put the note away in his pocket, ready to get back to work for the hour left of his shift. The night was quiet, thankfully, and he had much time to think. Who was 'Lady'? How did she get in without even being noticed? Why the secrecy?

Was it just some elaborate joke?

He walked home the thirty minutes to his house and collapsed on his cheap bed, falling asleep for four hours before the sun woke him up.

The apartment looked much better in the dark. The stained paint on the walls were hidden and the cheap furniture indiscernible in the night. He stumbled over to the sink, moving over dirty dishes and rinsing out the sink before drying it with a cloth. He searched around in the drawers of the kitchen for a minute before pulling out a box of matches, placing the note in the dry sink and pulling a match. He twisted and turned it in his fingers, thinking about just what might happen if she was telling the truth... Only one way to find out...

The bitter cold air filled Fergy's lungs as he walked home. It was three in the morning and it had been a long night, no real problems thankfully but tiring still. His deep burgundy attire almost looked black in the twilight. Glasgow wasnt a safe place to be, especially at night, but Fergus wasnt afraid. He couldn't afford to be in his line of work.....

She watched as the large shadow walked through the snow in the quiet of the night. The only sounds were the crunch of snow under his shoes and the tiny 'pfts' of chunky white flakes of settling into the growing mounds on the street. With a small breath, she started out of the alley and followed in his foot steps, hands jammed in her peacoat pockets. If Fergus Wilson was as she suspected, he wouldn't allow her to track him for long.

Fergus took note of the woman who was following him, she didn't seam dangerous, but who knows, anything is possible in this damned city and there are lots of desperate people. Walking on he counted the minuets in his head.....one....three......five......seven.... Without stopping or turning around Fergus reaches back and flips out his shirt reviling his old pistol "Anything i can help you with mam?" he asks Icily.

An unseasonably warm breeze buffeted against Fergus' cheeks and the woman he thought was behind him was now in front of him. She was walking backwards, a small smile on her lips as the wind picked up on her curls. "I think I should be asking you that question, Fergus. Do you mind if we talk?"

Fergy is taken aback by the gust of wind and the seemingly transported women. I know its been a long night but not that long.....I must really need some sleep "What the hell...." Fergus muttered as he blinked "Not at all." he says calmly

That little trick seemed to have caught his attention, and calmed him down at the same time. "Excellent," she smiled, "I have a job proposal for you. One that I think you might find more fulfilling than taking dunkards to the curb."

"And what would that be?" He asks as he walks on still on guard but relaxing somewhat.

She kept walking backwards with ease as she studied the big man in front of her. "The chance to be a hero. A real hero. To save people who still believe that there is hope."

Nothing changed in Fergus's stance or features, although if you looked close you would've seen a small twinkle flashe in his eyes at the ladies words. "I'm sorry to disillusion you, but heroes don't exist lady....maybe once they did but not anymore." he says holding her gaze.

"It only takes one man to stand when all others fall to darkness. Even if no one will ever see that act," she replied, "If it is your desire to help people and you are willing to leave everything behind that you know to be that man, take this." Pulling her gloved hand from her pocket, she offered a tattered slip of yellowed parchment. If he chose to unfold the slip of paper he would find the instructions. Burn me.

Taking the slip, Fergus slides it into his jacket pocket. "Heroes dont exist." He muttered half to himself.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ •••• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ •••• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ •••• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Fergus trudged through the half-light hall leading to his apartment, thinking about the encounter on the street. Walking up to the squeaky yellow door that must have been white at some point, he swung the door open. He sighed at the familiar sight...A small dingy apartment with a wing-back chair, a small table, a couple beer bottles scattered around, and a cigar box sitting on the table. "Is this really what I've come to?" He says to himself as he takes a seat and pulls out a cigar. Taking a cold draw from it. He pulls out the slip of parchment and looks it over, before lighting his cigar and taking a puff or two. He thinks for a few moments before he touches the cigar to the paper lighting "Heroes dont exist..." He mutters.

The slip of paper began to burn, the red embers eating the material at a surprisingly slow pace and causing a fair amount of smoke. An abnormal amount of smoke. In fact, it began pouring into the room at an alarming pace and then turning into a rainbow of colors. Swirling greens, pinks, blues, and purples surrounded Fergy.

"What the fuuuck." Fergy said standing as the smoke surrounded him, unsure what to do.

The entire room filled with smoke so thick no one could possibly see through it until suddenly, the floor dissappeared from under his feet and the big man plummeted into a brightly colored abyss.

Fergu stood confused for a second before the floor was suddenly sucked out from under him. "GODDDDS BE DAAAAAMNED!!" His yells where lost in the void as the large frame of Fergus plummeted down.

Fergus fell faster and faster until the smoke cleared and he found himself plummeting through a dusky sky and the ground quickly approaching. He passed clouds, then trees, coming face to face with a moss covered cobble stone walkway before jerking to a halt right above it. As he hovered a pair of boots came in to view and a familiar voice greeted him. "Hello, Fergus."...

(Is this what I was supposed to do? @aryamajor , because you never told me or replied to the private SF convo)

Back