SW Academy

It was move-in day, when all of the first-year and transfer students moved into the dormitories. It never was a particularly major day for Tarot, because although she was a third-year, and although her dorm was built for up to three, she had never yet had a roommate. For all her years there, the Academy appeased her, but unbeknownst to her, such good fortune was not meant to last. Although she was a good student, she was not a well-behaved student, and all her good-marks didn't make up for her weekly detention.

So, the school decided they would straighten her out by assigning her a roommate, hoping desperately they would be a good influence on her. Tarot didn't know this, and so she rested in bed, listening to an audiobook, resting in her carefully ordered room. Tarot herself was not as neat as her room would suggest she was: her hair was in a messy braid, her uniform was wrinkled, and her blankets were crumpled around her. So she sat, unaware that some new person was about to be thrown into her mix.

Across campus, in the boy's dorm, her two friends--both seniors--also awaited their new roommate. Like her, they were frequently in trouble with the Academy, but unlike her, they knew their fate, because originally the school had threatened to split the pair up, which the elder of the two, an Arabic young man who only ever used his surname, Dark, argued so staunchly against, that the Academy gave in, and instead decided to add newcomers to their room as well. So, Dark spent the week meticulously reorganizing their space, using the "room money" to buy new baskets for the bathroom, and in all other ways preparing for the introduction of new individuals into his space. Now it was move-in day, and he was waiting in his dorm for the strangers to arrive. He didn't want them, and didn't want to be the picture of hospitality, but he could not stand having control of his room, and needed to be there when they arrived.

Aoki was pretty nervous about moving since this was her first time away from her family. They loved her a lot and showed their affection openly, however this resulted in Aoki never getting to properly socialize without her parents being nearby. The parties she went to and the friends she had were all a part of her parent's circle. This move to SW Academy was a big leap in freedom.

No longer would her parents be around to catch her and help with every little problem, Aoki will finally be able to fall. She loves her parents and her request was approved because they acknowledged her want to experience some independence. At first they tried to convince her to stick with a tutor and homeschooling, but Aoki made good points on her need for better social development. Her sphere was too small and her learning was being held down by the noncompetitive nature. Her question was "How am I supposed to carry your business if I can't succeed on my own two feet?"

With that the discussion was closed and Aoki's request was approved. Now it's Aoki's turn to put up or shut up, success will now depend on Aoki's own work. This is now the time to start building her own repertoire and resume. She was told that the person she was rooming with was a third year which made her excited since she would now the bells and whistles of the school, plus Aoki was still a little immature and needed some guidance.

Before Aoki picked up her key card and room key, they gave her an informational bit. Her room wasn't too far, so she quickly paced to the dorm room. When Aoki arrived she knocked on the door three times.
Knock Knock Knock

"Hello. Anyone there?" she didn't here an answer so she used her key and opened the door. Surprisingly she saw someone in one of the four beds.

"That's probably my 3rd year roommate." Aoki waved and smiled at her roommate, not sure if she was listening or not "My name is Aoki Iwamoto! Nice to meet you! I am a first year and will be your care." She said with a shaky voice and bowed slightly.

After a horrible night of tossing and turning and general unrest in his bed, Andrew managed to grudgingly drag himself out his bed. Today he would start his first day at his new school, South Warren Academy. After attending 2 other high schools, his family finally had enough of his sister's shenanigans in public school. Andrew's little sister Ashtyn had stirred up trouble in every school he had ever gone to, which led to both of their expulsions time and time again. He hastily threw on a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt and exited his room. The door creaked open and there was Ashtyn, the bane of his existence.

"Mom's going to drop us off at school," Ashtyn sneered. After the two exchanged heated glares, they followed their mother to the car after. A short drive later, Ashtyn exited the car and felt the morning sun emanate on his face. He walked towards registration and Ashtyn followed. Andrew received his keycard and learned he would be rooming with two other boys, which he had no problems with. He enjoyed the company.

Ashtyn received her keycard as well and the pair discussed their dorm locations. She revealed to Andrew that her dorm was across the campus. Thank God, Andrew thought as he left his sister in the dust to go find his dorm.

After a brisk walk, Andrew arrived at the boy's dormitory. He ascended to the floor his room was on. Carefully he inspected each room number until he came across his room number. He knocked on the door hoping for a response and introduction from his two new roommates, but if that didn't happen, he had the keycard and could easily enter.
Ashtyn watched her brother runoff and turned the other direction in search of the girl's dorm. she reached what she figured was her room. Oddly the door was open, and Two people were inside. Ashtyn overheard one of the girls introduce herself as Aoki. She entered the room and let Aoki finish her sentence. Ashtyn threw her bag down. "First-year huh? Interesting. I'm a second-year transfer myself. The names Ashtyn Micheals." She said and extended her hand.

An extremely tall, extremely thin student in a moth-eaten sweater that did not quite reach his wrists opened the door. The Tim-Burton-esque student's handsome face was partially obscure by his unstyled black hair, but still his hawk-like eyes were clear, "You must be our new roommate." He said, in a smooth, Arabic accent, "Presuming you are meant to be all the way up here, and you are not lost. Come inside."

He stepped to the side, and allowed the stranger to enter. At a glance, the room was perfectly segmented. One portion of the room was extremely orderly, and the other... well, the second law of thermodynamics states that all things must return to chaos. It was clear that it was intended to be neatened up, because the bed was made, but still, socks were stuck in the bed-frame, there was a pizza box beneath the bed, and clothes were haphazardly tossed on the bed. They were partially folded, but it was clear whoever decided to work on it gave up halfway through. The student who was already in the room gave it a dirty look, and said, "Excuse... that. I kept cleaning it. It never lasts."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tarot sat up, removing her headphones, although she did not seem to quite look at either girl in the room, "I think you both have the wrong room," She didn't move from where she sat, "There should be staff in the downstairs lobby showing people where you're supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it isn't here. Maybe you're looking for 262, not 263. Or 362."

Andrew looked around the room inspecting each side of the room. "I despise cleaning, but in my opinion, a clean room leads to a healthy mind and body, I try to be as neat as I can. I hope I'm not too much of a bother living here." He wandered towards an unclaimed portion of the room which seemingly hadn't been touched in a long time. Andrew swept his hastily combed brown hair back. Andrew towered over most people he encountered, standing at impressive 6'7". After removing his bag and placing it on the ground next to the foot of his bed, the muscular built teen gave his arms good stretch.

"Oh, I almost forgot, to introduce myself, I'm Andrew Michaels, It's a pleasure to meet you," Andrew remarked

Almost immediately after introducing himself, he grabbed his bag and emptied its contents onto the floor. A faded orange basketball was the first thing to leave Andrew's bag, which promptly bounced off the bed and echoed throughout the room. Several folded t-shirts and gym shorts cascaded out of his bag and onto his newly claimed bed.
_________
Ashtyn looked at the girl who hadn't introduced herself yet. She dug through her pockets and revealed a crumbled piece of paper. The sound of crumbling paper echoed through the room. In bolded letters at the bottom of the page, it read Room Number 362. "No, it says 362 right here," Ashtyn stated as she gestured to the bolded part of the paper.

"Now, if you don't mind I'll be unpacking my things now," Ashtyn stated as she turned her attention towards her bag.

"You can call me Dark," he said, not bothering with his first name, since most people couldn't pronounce it anyways. He was only an inch shorter than Andrew, but was far more spindly. He lifted up the basketball after it bounced and knocked over a picture frame, and set it carefully back down onto Andrew's bed, "I can see you and Cooger will get along fine." Dark walked back to the dresser, and carefully set the frame upright again, quietly relieved to see the glass didn't break. It was an excellent drawing of an unattractive young woman wearing a dandelion crown, and Dark put the care to quickly clean the frame after setting it back upright.

"Please, after returning from your sport practices put your clothes directly into the sealed hamper. It is a constant battle against the smell of sweat. I do not have the funds to keep a constant supply of scented candles, you know."

"No, but... You can't move any of my things, I won't be able to find them again." Tarot said, tucking loose hair behind her ears. She still didn't move from where she was sitting, and her hands kind of twitched for a few moments, before reaching into her bedside table and putting on a pair of sunglasses and taking a breath.

"I'm going to phone admissions, I'm sure there must be a mistake."

“Nice to meet you, Dark,” Andrew said as he moved his clothes from the surface of his bed to the small drawer he was provided.

It was then that Andrew noticed the picture and that he had knocked it down. He inspected it from a distance as he unpacked toiletries from his bag. “Uh I hope I'm not being intrusive, but is that drawing of anyone in particular, or is it the work of your imagination?” Andrew asked as he moved his deodorant and toothpaste.

“But in all seriousness I may be a handful butat the end of the day it’s not fair for th school to just up and not assign you a roommate.” Ashtyn stopped pouting for a sec only to become engaged in thought.

"Well, if we're being honest, Ashtyn, lots of things in life aren't fair, and that's just something we all have to cope with," Tarot said a little bit harsher than she intended to, and then sighed, self-regulated, and said, "Anyways, it isn't that I don't want roommates, it's that I can't have them. You're bound to touch my things and move them around, and I'll not be able to find them again, and you'll leave stuff on the floor, I won't be able to see it, and I'll trip. I'm really good at remembering where I put things, but when the just up and move around, I can't control that."

"She is no one," Dark replied, "Do not worry about it. We have little baskets for toiletries, so nothing gets mixed up. Yours is the blue one. I hope you are not blue-yellow colorblind." He said, actively trying to change the topic. He picked the frame up and put it into the drawer, "Cooger's is green, mine is black. That's our basic breakdown for color-coding. We use it on our calendar, too. All of our engagements are written down in our respective colours. Please do not neglect our calendar, it is the only way to keep the dorm room running smoothly."

Last edited:
Aoki was glad that at least one of her room mates seemed nice, the other was intimidating. However, Aoki would not let the her hard work of convincing her parents go to waste. She shook Ashtyn's hand, but then there was an immediate response to the two girls entrance. Her two roommates were exchanging words and in the chaos Aoki was caught in their conversation.

"Same... My this is my room number for sure." Aoki wanted to get along with both of them, but they were still going at it Ashtyn looked upset and the other roommate was slightly venomous. Here Aoki was frantically waving her hands, glancing at each girl "Ehhhhh."

Collecting her senses, she moved to her bed "I won't say I won't accidentally touch and move stuff, but when that comes around I will apologize. Even if our first meeting is like this I look forward to rooming with you both." Aoki smiled and began unpacking her stuff.

Then she paused and looked at the intimidating aura girl. "I am entering your space, but can you give Ashtyn and I a chance at least?" Aoki pleaded, she sounded a little desperate but this was the first step to something greater.

Aoki was sure that she was reacting to them this way because she was blindsided by the school's decision to give her roommates.
"I won't give up on this and I will make this work."

“Losing stuff isn’t a good enough reason to not have any roommates,” Ashtyn scoffed. She proceeded to unpack her things. She wasn’t going to let up, but she was done discussing it for now. Aoki seemed nice enough that Ashtyn would be able to get a long with her. Ashtyn felt a small bit of remorse for lashing out in front of her two new supposed roommates.
Andrew moved his toiletries to the bin. He smiled and exclaimed,” Well, I’ll try to follow the calendar as best I can to keep things running smoothly, I don’t want to disrupt anything with my presence.”

Once he was finishedmoving his things in, he leapt onto his bed and laid down. Andrew began browsing social media.

Tarot paused, and after a moment sighed and said, "I'm going to presume they didn't tell you about me, so I guess it isn't your fault. Anyways, I'm not... I'm not angry. Well, I mean, I'm angry with the academy for not telling me I was about to have roommates, but that's..." She stood up, took up a textbook from the top of her dresser, and vaguely waved it towards the two Aoki and the wall, "Just take a minute, open this up. It's a literature textbook, I think," she then returned to her bed, sat down, and said, "or, you know, try to find a single photograph or poster or any non tactile item in my room. Please. Because since the school failed to brief you on me, and I have to do it myself, which I absolutely hate to do, and wouldn't have had to if we had met anywhere else, just indulge me."

She tucked her legs underneath herself and smoothed her hair. She really was doing her best to not be harsh and off-putting, but she was stressed with the change suddenly dropped into her lap. It wasn't even that she couldn't deal with change: only a few months before starting high school all those years ago, her father told her he was sending her to a private American school, and she hadn't returned to her home country since. She was excellent with change. She just needed a bit of time to grow accustomed to it. In a softer note, she added, "In my case, losing stuff is a major reason not to have roommates."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"That is the extent of what I wanted to cover. Well, all that Cooger would allow me to cover. I wanted to make a collated, colour-coded binder, but I was told it was excessive." Dark said, nearly smiling. It did sound a bit intense after saying it out loud.

Back