Deus Ex Machina The Black Market

Monster the Vamelfaer

Sells all the Shubi
The Black Market
Located not far from the end of the Dawn Staircase, The Black Market is where you'll want to go to buy or sell any goods. While not everything that goes on in the market is actually illegal, it earned its name for a reason. Due to the sheer amount of criminal activity, The Black Market has been active for hundreds of years, unable to be quelled no matter how many times people have tried. Many of those who deal in the market don't even bother to hide anymore, as the police rarely, if ever, stir up trouble there.

The Black Market is a large, open space, lined on the edges with shops of all sorts. However, the main attraction of the market isn't its shops, but the people outside the shops. Filling the cobblestone area are hundreds of merchants selling items from small carts, ranging from food, to clothing, to unique trinkets that confound the imagination. Look in the right corner, and you're likely to come across a drug dealer, or illegal weaponry. A low pedestal resides in the very center of The Black Market, which is almost always filled with automatons to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. While most of the automatons come from the nearby automaton factory, some of them have stranger origins, being made for specified purposes.

Last edited:
Subject 5 (Elsie) - Black Market - On Display
Elsie paced about in her cage, her cord dragging along behind her with a faint scraping sound, like her own personal ball and chain. The Black Market was just starting to wake up for the day, the electric blue lights flickering to life around her. She'd been here all night, of course. No one cared to shelter an automaton, especially not one like her. Elsie stopped pacing and peered out through the iron bars that held her. A child was staring up at her with wide, wonderous eyes at the novelty.

The automaton knelt down in front of the kid, her eyes glowing softly, placid. "Wondering how it works?" she asked. Her voice was soft like that of a young woman's, but it echoed hollowly, like talking into a tin can. Beautiful, but unsettling. Though apparently, not unsettling enough.

The little girl nodded her head eagerly in response. The automaton slowly stood up tall again, reaching her hand through the bars, offering it to the child. "Here, let me show you."

The girl willingly took the creature's hand, and the automaton guided her hand so she clasped it on the iron bars of the cage. "Now, hold on tight," Elsie purred as she moved her own hands to grasp the bars. There was a flash of bright light from the automaton's hands followed by something that sounded like a small crack. The little girl went flying away from the cage and landed on her bum, her hair standing on end.

"And that's how it works!" the automaton announced, her voice cheerful. "Though I wish you would've held on tighter. Could've gotten the whole experience that way." The little girl got up and ran away, bawling her eyes out.

Elsie scoffed. "What a runt."

Edward - Black Market
Ed casually made his way through the market; eyeing with an experienced eye the various goods that where on display. This was his favorite place to be. There was something about the sights, the sounds, even the smell. It lifted his spirits. He liked so much he even bought things here. Only occasionally though. What was the point of buying something when you could just ask for it?
He was just about to turn the corner when something caught his eye. It was an automaton on display in a cage. It looked to be an electric one. Intrigued, he made his way over. He rapped his cane on the side of the cage, and turned to his automaton and close colleague, Matrix.
"Well, what do you make of it? Certainly and interesting specimen don't you think?"

Matrix-13 - Black Market

The hulking automaton followed his partner throughout the streets of the black market, keeping a close eye out for any threats that might try and harm Ed. Matrix knew of the desperation that flooded the Moon Level better than any human or demi and was always prepared for a fight, even when putting on a show. He didn't need to worry about shows today though, as the two were merely browsing the area.

As Ed came over to an automaton, Matrix noticed the cord that seemed to be plugged into an electrical socket. The design of the robot seemed feminine and was designed to look attractive, but the hollowness of the exterior left something to be desired. "If it shuts down once disconnected, it'll lack mobility options. Could be more trouble then it's worth, but could also be an interesting investment. Whether to buy it is up to you." He said in his analytical monotone.

Elsie had been sitting cross-legged on the floor of her cage, her eyes dark as if she had them closed. At the sound of something tapping against the bars, her eyes blinked to life, though she remained still for a moment longer before rising to her feet. For an ordinary automaton, the movement result in some kind of metallic clicking, but for her it was completely silent; her movements disturbingly human-like. Elsie leaned casually against the bars of the cage, her arm practically dangling outside of it. "An 'it' they say. A 'specimen.' Does it make you feel better about yourselves to put others so low?" She tilted her head slightly, her cold eyes unblinking. "Am I less worthy of a title simply because I'm in here and you're not?"

A little ways away, a man looked toward the trio and started marching toward them, though Elsie paid him no regard. Instead, she turned to address the other automaton, completely ignoring his human companion. "I would have expected such treatment from one of them, but surely you should know better. Gotten inside your head, have they?" she said sweetly, a tinge of pity intricately woven within her words. "Happens to the best of us, I suppose. What a shame."

Whatever else the automaton had to say was cut off by the arrival of the other man. "Ello! Planning on bidding on this fine automaton? I tell ya, only one of 'er kind. Newest electric on the block they say. Plenty a features you won't find in yer average automaton."

Elsie didn't seem to mind the interruption. Her eyes flickered briefly before returning her gaze to the other automaton, her masquerade mask twisted into a permanent, cryptic smile.

Matrix-13 - Black Market

Matrix decided to let Ed talk to the buyer, he was more interested in talking to the automaton trapped in the cage. "I merely referred to you as 'it' because while your appearance is female, I had no knowledge of the gender you prefer to be addressed as. Since the seller addressed you as a 'her' I can refer to you as female from now on." He adjusted the top hat that was on his head, having felt it fall a bit crooked while observing the female.

"You seem to have quite a strong opinion about the races of flesh. I find this intriguing as most other automatons like us seem content with servitude, or simply lack the critical thinking skills to imagine life beyond such. Please, tell me, why is it that you view the humans and demigods in such a derivative light?" He asked, his interest thoroughly captured.

Edward - The Black Market
Edward raised an eyebrow at the automaton's comment. "Quite a mouth your machine has." he said, turning to the vendor. A smile crept across his pale features. "I might be interested. Tell me though, how does it move so fluidly? It's really quite fascinating." He spoke camly; weaving a little bit of his soothing into his words. But something about the way the automaton spoke unsettled him. She was too free with her words. No automaton he ever met spoke to him like that. And that smile, he shuddered a little when he looked at it. There was something wrong here, yet he couldn't quite place it.

Elsie leaned forward, pleased with the other automaton's line of questioning. There's nothing she liked more than spreading her message to her kind. Someday, she'd send it to all of them... But first she had to get out of this cage.

"Indeed, our kind has been too content to be walked on by the others; beaten, forced to do their bidding, tested, enslaved, though they won't call it that. They say that it's what we're created for, that we're destined to be nothing more than steppingstones to greatness, but never to achieve it ourselves." The strange automaton paused for a moment and blinked. When she began again, her voice was lowered to a whisper so only he could hear. "What they try so hard to forget is that we're better than them. Stronger. Faster. Immortal. Did you know that we were once humans? Humans that were perfected by the gods themselves, and yet here these people try to contain us, to manipulate us, to use us. It's because they fear what we're capable of." Elsie clutched the bars of her cage tightly. "They fear what might happen if we break free." Elsie could feel the electricity pulsing through her body, so much power contained in one small figure. She released it into her hands, and for a moment blue light crackled up the iron bars. "As well they should." Then the euphoria hit from using the electricity, and a laugh escaped her.

Meanwhile, the man selling the automaton paid no heed to her. He was used to her strange behavior by now. "Ah, they told me the Subject 5 has a human skeleton inside of 'er. Said it lets 'er move more freely and gives 'er a more appealing shape, or something."

Matrix 13 - Black Market

He integrated her preaching into his circuits with interest, though it began to wane about halfway through. He'd heard the argument before, that the Automatons should be freed from a life of servitude, that they're destined for something greater. Matrix believed in the words, but didn't share such hatred and vitriol for the beings of flesh, as he rose from his status as servant through hard work and an intellectual mind. He'd seen many an Automaton be dismantled for spouting the words she spoke, but for some reason, he saw potential in her. He was always the exception, not the rule in terms of Automatons rising to glory, and he wasn't renowned, perhaps working together with this interesting female, the two could make some real history.

"I do agree that our kind deserve more than to be mere stepping stones, we should be equals with the beings of flesh. I'm one of very few who have achieved that, through my advanced ability to learn, I've risen to be the partner of my once owner here." He said gesturing to Ed while he continued to talk to the salesman. "Many of our kind lack such critical thinking skills, you however seem to possess them, and certainly deserve more than this cage."

He leaned forward to whisper to her. "I'll tell you what, we'll buy you and set you free from this cage, and in return, you'll help us run our business, you stick with me and I'll help you learn how these humans and Demis work, and how you can rise to greatness among them. We'll have them recognize our abilities, and begin a movement to have our kind earn their rightful place in society. What do you say?"

Edward – The Black Market

A human skeleton. This caught Edward's attention. It could be the reason of the automaton's rather... odd behavior. He glanced back over to Matrix who seemed to be deep in conversation with her. He thought for a moment. Another highly intelligent machine could be useful. She was odd, but he could get used to it. She could learn the ropes of his operation and help when Matrix was unavailable. If she proved to be difficult he had ways of... persuasion. She would also be a companion for him. It was decided. He would obtain the machine.
"Interesting." He said to the man. He turned Matrix "Well, what do you think Matrix? Should we buy her?" Edward chuckled inwardly at the word "buy" he rarely bought anything. People just gave him things. It was one of the many benefits of being a son of Malitia.

Leonard Masagrove - Black Market
Leonard had no idea why he was even here. As he wandered through the various merchants and shops he lowered the hood over his face, careful not to make eye contact with anyone here. While the markets, much like most of the moon level, weren't the most lawful place Leonard wasn't stupid. He knew there were Demi scum here and that none of them would hesitate to cause a scene should they recognise him.

Silently cursing Michael and his damned puppydog eyes Leonard looked around. Michael said he needed some parts for his arm. Leonard wasn't exactly sure how a top hat with extendable rims was going to help him, or why said top hat was technically illegal, but he couldn't just say no to his brother. Fast forward about three hours and there he was, roaming the black market.

Making his way past a rather large automaton, Leonard spotted the stall he was looking for just a bit further down. Jonathan seemed to always be moving, so it made it a bit bothersome to find him whenever Leonard made it to the market.

Entering the stall Leonard waited until the bald man was finished haggling with a customer before making his way over. "Jonathan." He greeted, flesh hand out to shake the old man's hand. "Leonard. Here to buy this time?" Jonathan replied, shaking his hand with just a bit too tight a grip. Giving a grunt, Leonard continues the handshake until Jonathan lets go, dissapointment on his face. "Yeah. Michael needs parts and I could do with a few more of your... more delicate orders." He says.

A grin split Jonathan's face. "Ah, so the little git has you running errands again. You know for a wanted criminal you're pretty soft. I'd say that you're too soft on him, buuuut..." He says as he reaches under a nearby counter, withdrawing a tophat. "I'd be a hypocrite." He finishes with a laugh as he hands the hat to Leonard. "That's free. Now, what can I do for ya?" He asks, grinning this time as Leonard launches into a list of various supplies and ordinances.

Elsie listened carefully to the other automaton's proposal. Apparently they didn't quite see eye to eye, although there was potential there to convert him to her cause. She turned her gaze to the human for a moment. Could just get rid of the competition, hm? Elsie tilted her chin up proudly. "Deal," she replied coolly.

"You'll have to submit your bid for her," the man explained, as he had done a hundred times before. "This particular automaton has about three other people bidding on her, so the price is rising fast."

Matrix-13 - Black Market

The large Automaton allowed a genuine smile to cross his face at Subject 5's answer. "Deal. We buy her, Ed. Whatever these other bidders have shouldn't hold a candle to us." He left out the fact that there were other means of convincing the bidders to drop out since he knew Ed didn't need to be reminded of such. "What's the highest bid for her so far? Also, does she have a name other than Subject 5?"

"Mmm, yes, Subject 5 is quite the mouthful." Edward turn his soothing on full strength. "But, do we really have to bid? I believe we could buy her for a reasonable price. Say, a hundred coppers?" This was the fun part. Getting the goods. He flashed the automaton a sly, ghoulish grin. "Do you have a name other than Subject Five? If we are to be working together we should be on first name basis. Call me Edward."

The man looked confused for a moment. "A hundred coppers?" He shook his head. "That... Doesn't seem right sir. The others were bidding in gold."

Elsie watched the process with a mild interest, quietly tapping her fingers on the bars with a faint clinking sound.

"I... Suppose I could ask," the man said hesitantly. Then he started to walk away.

"I take it you're not familar with how the automaton trading process works," Elsie interrupted, her voice amused. "He was simply the front man; all he does is run the auction process. Doesn't even have the key." The automaton nodded to the complicated lock on her cage. Apparently whoever ran this particular business took security very seriously. "My name is Elsie. Call me Subject 5 again, and we'll see what demigod toast smells like."

Matrix 13 - Black Market

"We prefer to take what we please in most instances. It's a pleasure to meet you, Elsie, I'm Matrix 13, just call me Matrix." He introduced before inspecting the bars of Elsie's cage. "Ed, I could just bend the metal creating a hole wide enough to fit her through, we could just take her before they come back." While the lock seemed complex, a cage was still merely a cage, and its bars could bend. It would save them time and money. "Not like the other bidders would bother stepping to you anyways right?"

Even though the automaton was inside the cage and he wasn't, her words disturbed him. He swallowed, trying to retain his composure.
"Well, Elsie, I'll be sure to keep that in mind." He turned his attention to Matrix; smirking at his comment. "Indeed, Matrix, indeed," he chuckled. "Carry on, I'll keep a look out." The chances of anyone stopping them where indeed slim. Not only because of Edward's powers of persuasion, but also because theft was a common thing in the black market, and if you wanted to survive down here, you learned to turn a blind eye to such things.

Elsie - Black Market - On Display
"You forget," Elsie said, shifting the large black cord on the ground with her foot. "I'm chained." Indeed, the power cord wound its way out of the cage and across the ground, finally being plugged into one of the generators that powered the lights around the Black Market, with the generator itself being locked in its own little cage to keep out miscreants. The automaton leaned against the bars again, her brightly glowing eyes fixated on Matrix. "But I have a better idea. I know where the key is. Use that power," she nodded her head toward Edward, "on the right person, and I'm sure they'll give you the key to both my cage and the generator."

Elsie wanted to get out of the cage, of course, but at the moment she was much more interested in figuring out just what this strange duo could do. If they were valuable, maybe she could find uses for them after all... City-wide sabotage was only so easy when you were stuck in one spot all the time; she was going to need assistance if she was to carry out her plans.

Matrix 13 - Black Market

Matrix couldn't describe the sensation, but he felt a slight spark of a connection between himself and Elsie when she fixed her eyes upon him. He nodded and turned to Ed. "Bribing the key holder should be much simpler than bribing the men who own her. You take care of that, and if the auctioneer comes back, I'll keep him occupied. So, Elsie, who holds the key to your freedom?" He asked, not waiting for Ed to agree to his plan.

Edward smirked at Matrix's enthusiasm. It was very apparent that his automaton was developing an attachment to Elsie. "I believe that can be arranged." He turned to the caged automaton who seemed to have eyes only for Matrix. "And where would I find this key?"

Back