Deus Ex Machina The Black Market

Elsie - Black Market - On Display
"The man who runs the automaton auctions holds all the keys to the cages himself. I suppose he doesn't trust anyone else with them," Elsie said, finding the last part humorous. "His name is Nelson Zicari."

She let the name hang in the air for a moment. Nelson Zicari was well known in the Moon Level for being the brutal leader of the gang The Blue Devils; infamous for their fondness of cutting out the tongues of those who wronged them (if they survived the initial encounter). The man was a powerful Demi, and odds were if the pair did actually manage to get the key from him, they wouldn't get too far until The Blue Devils would be after them. Elsie watched their faces patiently, curious as to whether they would accept the dangerous challenge.

Edward - Black Market
"Nelson Zicari." Edward repeated; making a mental note. He had heard of this man and his gang. He had run into a few of the members from time to time. Those meetings never ended pleasantly. He walked closer to Matrix and bent close into his ear. "Zicari," he said in a low voice. "What do you think? Crossing him could prove problematic for us."

Matrix-13 - Black Market

The name Nelson Zicari gave Matrix pause. Matrix has had to bash quite a few of his cronies' skulls in due to chance encounters going south. The problem was that a few always got away in the end, Matrix wasn't built with speed in mind, so he was sure to be recognized on site. "He'll be a smarter version of his thugs, they'll be sure to recognize me so I cant be with you in the initial interaction. If you can convince him to hand it over then fantastic. If not, I'd suggest we try finding an alternative."

Edward - The Blackmarket

"Why Matrix you sound like you've lost faith in your old partner's skills." He jokingly chided. Though Edward was nervous. Zicari's gang had a ferocious reputation. One false move and their days where numbered. He wouldn't tell Matrix that. He had a reputation of his own to maintain. He turned to Elsie, maintaining his confidant air. "And where would I find Mr. Zicari?"

"In his lair, I would expect," Elsie replied coolly. "Or perhaps in the Moonshine pub. I think I heard from one of the auctioneers that he frequents there. But I'm not exactly in the know, now am I?"

She was surprised that they seemed to be taking up her challenge after all. They hadn't looked like much, but of course, looks could be deceiving. She of all people knew that.

Matrix-13 - Black Market

Matrix just shrugged off his partner's chide. "I like to prepare for the worst, it helps keep you alive. Check out the pub first, it contains the least risk. If you find him in his lair he'll have homefield advantage. I'll stay here and make sure nobody takes Elsie before we've acquired her keys." He said, giving a trusting nod to Ed before turning back to gauge Elsie's reactions to the way they handled business.

Edward - The Black Market
Edward chuckled at his partner. "Fair enough, old friend, fair enough." He turned to Elsie, clicked his heels together and bowed. " The Moonshine it is then. Thank you, I will return shortly." He spun around and made his way down the street. Confidently twirling his cane. When he rounded the corner and was out of veiw of the cage he leaned against one of the buildings and put his face in his hands. Nelson Zicari.

Today just wasn't his day.

Elsie watched the demigod go before she spoke again, her tone humorous. "How did you manage to get yourself bonded to a human like that, of all things?" she asked. "A curious sort."

Matrix-13 - Black Market

Matrix looked back at Elsie and simply shrugged. "He bought me, back when I was a blank slate programmed simply to protect. He taught me his ways and showed me how mortals worked and how they could be manipulated. I learned and practiced, until eventually I had surpassed him in the art and he asked me to become his business partner. Perhaps he views himself as my father of a sort, since he watched and helped me grow into the entity I am today. Regardless, I'm grateful to him for the opportunities he's given me to learn."

Elsie's eyes flickered briefly. "You surpassed him, and he made you a business partner." The automaton was silent for a moment before a quiet chuckle escaped her, which then turned into a laugh. "You say that like it's a good thing!" she said. "If he really saw you as an equal, he wouldn't have forced you to stay bound to him once you became better than him." Elsie crossed her arms. "No, you're still a slave. Just with a different title."

Sora Yuno | ゆのそら

"Would yah be havin' a meatball?"

The question from the roadside hawker, spoken in a curiously accented dialect, seemed to elicit some amount of incredulity from his customer, an unkempt, scruffy boy in his early teens, with one hand in a sling and the other holding a long laundry pole.

"You know, I think it's obvious I'm short of funds", said the boy, with a scathingly sarcastic streak painting his voice and his half-smile, as the hawker scratched his (partially exposed) beer belly and guffawed, handing the boy's paint tin back to him, filled with a sweet potato and onion stew sans meat.

For the last two months or so, Sora Yuno, who went by the name "Christopher" during his day jobs in the black market, had been eating more or less the same things; street food of questionable hygiene, or leftovers from restaurants closing for the day. Two meals a day cost him less than two dollars in total, out of the seven or eight he earned daily. The rest would be for storage in the little shack that Sora called home.

Things were made a little complicated a week ago, when Sora, while pushing a cart up a ramp, slipped on a streak of grease and fell backwards, dislocating his left wrist badly. Somebody'd popped it back in for him, but he still couldn't use his arm due to the swelling.

"Yah sure yah not be havin' no meatballs? If yah wants, I charge yah less."

Sora shook his head.

"I don't want to take advantage of you", he replied, this time with a slightly more genuine smile. He took the paint tin filled with the orange-brown stew and headed off.

The black market wasn't the most pleasant place, especially not now that the entire city had been plunged into a sunless darkness. Gangs ran wild everywhere, as did druggies and petty criminals looking to make a quick buck at the expense of others. On more than one occasion, Sora had clobbered unpleasant and questionable individuals seeking to take advantage of him.

Not to mention the hitmen.

Gang members were easy to spot; they behaved with a certain vulgar arrogance. But hitmen... one never knew who a hitman was unless he was famous. Or until he struck.

Sora sat down, placing his pole to one side and pulling the lid off the paint tin, before proceeding to use his good arm to messily drink, straight from the can. With his other hand, still slightly swollen from the dislocation, he clutched his chest as he chugged the bland stew down.

Ever since that incident, his heart would palpitate in a bizarre fashion every time he ate or drank, or when he ran or went up stairs. What exactly had happened wasn't something Sora knew, and, to some extent, was what made him so furious against that man. The other part was that he never got the $10,000 that had been promised him.

Dr Vyacheslav Kirillovich Putin had made a run for it upon learning that he had botched the serum.

Just thinking of it made Sora's veins throb like bursting pipes.

The Leper

On the rooftop of the building across from where the boy sat eating his lunch stood a dark figure, clad in black and white, his face obscured by a beaked mask. Atop his head was a top hat, adorned with a black feather, its treated leather shining in the harsh light of the nearby lamps. In his hands was a long rifle with a gigantic scope.

The Leper had, by the time he was in his fifties, built up quite a reputation for himself as a hitman. At that point in time, he had an impressive track record of 96 successful missions out of 99, and as a sniper, had 116 confirmed kills in total.

Of course, none of that mattered when you were going up against a Demi. They tended to have strange powers beyond human comprehension, which at the very best would make a mission very messy to complete and distance oneself from.

Little did the Leper know that the one whom he had just shot from a block away, as well as the one whom he was going to shoot soon, was associated with a Demi, albeit distantly.

Mr Julius Akai and his wife, Mrs Missel Akai, were a pair of cocaine traffickers living in the black market region. Rumour had it that they also did money laundering jobs for a loan shark whose elder brother regularly conducted business with a black market stock broker who gave funding to a gang run by a Demi known as Itzel Fiske, or something along those lines. Didn't matter; the connection was probably too messy anyway.

The Leper had just blown Mr Akai's brains out while he was sitting on the toilet. Based on the intel he had gathered, that was a good way to get Mrs Akai dead as well. According to his observations, Mr Akai never locked the toilet door; he and Mrs Akai were fond of performing certain private activities with each other in the toilet, sometimes up to six times a day, and Mrs Akai tended to come in when Mr Akai was relieving himself of less orgastic substances.

Sure enough, after about an hour of waiting, just as a boy in a sling sat down on the ground opposite the building the Leper was on and began drinking his soup, Mrs Akai opened the door and entered the toilet, oblivious to the fact that, behind the door (where the WC was located), her husband lay stone dead.

The moment she opened the door, she, too, had had her head turned inside out by a bullet.

His rifle still smoking, the Leper stood up, running his white-gloved fingers down the barrel of the rifle in a manner almost amorous in its tenderness, before disassembling it in a matter of seconds, packing it back into his suitcase and heading off the roof, back into darkness.

Just a while ago, he'd received a message from that weirdo Dr Putin, asking him to approach the seedy pharmacist codenamed Doctor M. He needed chloroform.

Matrix-13 - Black Market

Matrix regarded Elsie with a raised eyebrow. "You make assumptions based on a brief synopsis of our relationship. Your logic is inherently flawed as a result. While I remain in service to Edward as a bodyguard, the choice was made on my own. The man isn't as ignorant as you assume him to be. He saw my growing value and figured that I'd find independence in one way or another, and let me free before offering the position of business partner. He made the decision my own, I could accept or deny him and go my own way. I chose to become his business partner, I chose to keep protecting him, because our partnership is mutually beneficial. These choices for my future seem to categorize me as the opposite of a slave. What say you?"

Edward - Black Market

Edward could feel himself being followed. Out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of a woman a little ways behind him. He quickened his pace and dove into a crowd of people, weaving his way in and out, trying to lose her. If he could just get to Matrix before she caught up to him.

Finally the auction cage came into view. He slowed his pace and strolled casually up to the two automatons as if nothing was wrong. He smiled and nodded to Elsie. Placing a hand on Matrix's broad shoulder he spoke low into his ear.

"We need to talk in private."

Matrix-13 - Black Market

Matrix could interpret that Edward had failed from his demeanor. Had he succeeded, there wouldn't be any need to speak in private. Matrix merely nodded his head and brought Ed into an alley not far from Elsie's cage. "Let me guess, Zicari said no and now you need me to fend off his thugs?"

Edward - Black Market
He nodded. "Someone tipped Zicari off they were ready for me. I'm being followed." He checked over his shoulder. "We need to move. Now"

Itzel- Black Market
Itzel smiled from a distance as she watched her target, waiting a little bit, she finally stepped forward. "I think it's a bit too late for that. I'm not hear to harm you yet, not everyone is mindless in Zicari's gang." She neared them, removing her hood. "What was the deal you were trying to make with my boss? I feel he can be a bit...ignorant of opportunity. Ah, before you ask. It wasn't too hard to follow you. You were heading here after all." she chuckled heartedly.

Matrix-13 - Black Market

He spotted the woman approaching from far off, moving Ed behind him and assuming a defensive stance, he let this girl take in his large frame, allowing her to see how much potential damage could be done to her through his gigantic arms. "To answer your question, we merely wished to acquire the electric automaton you have caged for a not so exorbitant price. It's nice to see that someone in Zicari's gang has a brain, but I hope you'll forgive the precaution. We don't exactly have the best track record with your associates."

Edward - The Black Market.

The skinny young man cleared his throat and stepped around from behind Matrix.
"We've changed our minds, however. We've no wish to do business with a man who treats his customers with such disrespect. And as my partner says." He cleared his throat. "We aren't on the best of terms with your... associates. Tell your boss that if he wants to do business with me I expect a full apology." He looked to Matrix. "Let's go." The sooner he left the area the better. He didn't trust that the woman didn't mean any harm. For all he knew there could be a group of Zicari's thugs surrounding them this very minute.

"Should I place my hood back on and kill you then? You seem to doubt my abilities, good sir. Never wise to do that."Itzel barely gave noticed to Edward's words. "If I would have followed my orders to the T from my boss, you would have been dead way before you got here, Mr. Edward. As I said, ZIcari is ignorant of opportunity as are many other members of the gang, so I apologize if I don't recognize your distasteful past with a few members of my group. It's them, not me, you interacted with anyway." Chuckling again, she continued. "Look, I'm guessing the automaton that's being sold means something to your group here. So, if you're willing to help me, I'll help you.You help me remove Zicari from the mantle, I help you get your automaton. Of course, my side of the deal comes first. I have plans on how to get the automaton already." With a sigh, she looked towards Edward, finally giving him attention. "What I ask is not for your trust but cooperation."

Matrix-13 - Black Market

Matrix raised a metal eyebrow at this woman's words. She certainly conducted herself differently from the rest of Zicari's thugs, and there was a head for business that he could respect in her, even if she didn't have much knowledge of the terminology. Furthermore, she was wanting to remove Zicari from power, something he and Ed would certainly be happier for, and if they could get in on this girl's good side, they could make a powerful alliance.

"Would you allow us a moment of conference?" He asked, pulling Ed into a huddle and whispering to him. "She seems to be wanting the same things we do, maybe it would be useful to cooperate. We keep our guard up obviously, but there's a lot of opportunity to be had by starting a relationship with this woman, Edward."

Back