The Children of Shannara 3/5

Valen

oavHYrv.jpg

At the dawn of the First Age, the world of Shannara was born out of the destruction of the planet we once called Earth. As the missiles fell, as the nuclear blast destroyed all that was left of a dying world, a chosen few were selected to survive. These chosen were to lead us into a new age. They were the genesis of what would come to be known as Shannara.

Many countless millennia onwards, it has all come full circle. Shannara is slowly dying, and the chosen will lead a handful of survivors into the dawning of a new age -- the Final Age.

The most glorious Age of them all.

A thousand years have passed since the time of Grianne Ohmsford, Ard-Rhys of Paranor. The world of Shannara is one that is barely recognisable from the one walked by the likes of Jerle Shannara and his descendants. The majority of the world's population is dead, victims of a virulent plague carried by the mutated wielders of the Wishsong. Through the corruption of the magic, these carriers unleashed a deadly torrent of death and destruction upon the unsuspecting inhabitants of the Four Lands.

Magic is now illegal. Wielders of the Wishsong are hunted down and exterminated upon the first manifestation of their powers. This intolerance has extended to all users of magic. The druids are no more, and the ancient keep of Paranor has been torn down with the ignorance and hatred of so-called goodly folk who brand all users of magic as the same.

Far, far away, in the desolate Northlands, a fell presence stirs. A terrible fragment of an ancient evil, one thought long lost and dead in the annals of time long gone by wakes once more..... Soon, its shadow will fall across the remnants of the Four Lands. Echoes of its power and terrible majesty have already been felt -- sightings have been seen of the dead rising again to walk the earth, mindless monstrosities infused by the dark essence of something incomprehensible. Far away from civilised lands, savage spider gnomes gather under the banner of a warlord.

Soon the Four Lands will cry a river of blood.

Here, where this all began -- this is where it will all end. Echoes of a time long past, come back again.

For the chosen few, blissfully unaware of what is unfolding around them in the world at large, sheltered within the safe and sleepy Shady Vale, life is about to change forever. Here, in the place where so many, many years ago Shea and Flick Ohmsford embarked on a quest that would change the fate of the world forever -- here, it all begins again.

One last time.

Shadows gather around Shady Vale, and a dark stranger rides towards the village.....as Allanon himself had so long ago.

Here, where it all began, so does this chapter finally end.

Hello everyone. I will be your host for this tale of derring do. Those of you who have gamed with me before know what the drill is. Those of you who have not, listen up ;).

I have a rough and ready checklist of rules that I would ask you to be mindful of:

There are some parameters that you will need to bear in mind when applying:

1: You will have been born in Shady Vale and have lived there all your life. Although I will make an exception for one of the group only, for the most part I want all of you to have been born and raised there.

2: Similar to point 1, you'll all know each other prior to the game starts. You don't necessarily need to have been friends, but you'll certainly know each other. After all applicants have been chosen, we will perform a reconciliation exercise to work out links between each other.

3: Acceptable Races. Human, Elf or Half-Elf only, not up for debate :)

Still with me? Great, I think we'll get on fine ;)

I've seen lots of application threads looking for a standard appearance/personality/background format. I'm not looking for that here. Instead what I want is the following, in the following format:

Name:
Race:
Overview: In one paragraph, give me a high level summary of your character. An example of this is as follows:

Karnak is a heavily-scarred warrior who was a high-ranking soldier in the Warlock Lords army. He is looking for redemption following his desertion from the force, however is haunted by nightmares of the many atrocities he has committed.

I would also like to see a picture of your character..

Following this, answer me these four questions:

1: Why do you enjoy PbP?

2: What do you look for in a PbP game?

3: Describe to me your best experience in a PbP game

4: Describe to me your worst experience in a PbP game.

Finally, I want you to post me a short role play sample in response to the following scenario as you think your character would respond:

"A stranger rides into town on the back of a dark horse. You are going about your daily business when the horse charges up to you. The rider is dismounted. He falls to the floor, an arrow jutting from his shoulders. Under his breath he mutters something about an army of the dead closing from the north, then he passes out."

Please note, this is not a first-come first-serve style application process. I will read through all submissions carefully before making a final decision. I will also be bringing along a character of my own creation for the tale - I am looking for five others to join him at most.

For a quick look at my writing style, please look at the below excerpt from the opener:

Far, far away, in a small, ice-encrusted grotto, something ancient stirred. From high above, the snow rained down from the heavens. Neverending swirls of snow blew all around in beautiful circular patterns. All around, as far as the eye could see, all there was was a neverending plateau of snow, and of ice. A white carpet that stretched across for an entire eternity. An all-encompassing winter wasteland. No explorers, no adventurers came here to this frozen paradise. To do so would have cost them their very lives. In the sky above, blackness ruled over the world below. This blackness was punctuated by small, individual twinkling stars.

This was a giant frozen, icy tomb. It was never daylight here, here in the furthest reaching, most extreme corner of the Four Lands. There was only ever night, eternal, everlasting darkness reigning supreme over the world and its cowering servants far below. The only creatures that roamed here were mindless, feral beings that existed only for the bloodlust that consumed them so. Yet these savage, primal creatures were not the worst things that roamed these savage wastes. Worse things dwelt here. Things that no sane, mortal being would ever want to lay eyes on.

Here, in this frozen world, there were deadly secrets that lay entombed under the sheets of ice that lay across its surface. It was here, in the icy grotto that something crawled into existence, wakened by events elsewhere. It was here, under the watchful gaze of the silver moon that an ancient, whispered sigh was heard by all who lived in this frozen world. Creature, spirit and all bowed their heads at its sound, offering their complete obeisance.

For their master had returned.

It was one such creature that stood in the center of this grotto. Leathery, gray wings were folded across its chest. Taloned hands jutted out underneath the leathery flaps of its skin. Red eyes glowed, reflecting off the moon's light. Around this creature, there was a slight movement. To those who were not sensitively attuned to the atmosphere around them, they would not have noticed anything. To those who were, they would have seen it. The shadows flitting around the creature grew darker and deeper. The already frigid air grew colder still. But most of all, the aura around the area carried with it a tinge of darkness and dread.

Faint whisps of shadow formed in front of the creature, becoming opaque before fading into insubstantiality. Fragments of nothing -- or perhaps something? Yet the winged creature bowed to one knee as the ghostly whispers of a voice echoed around it.

"Malevolence, first of mine and last to live, you were always my most loyal servant."

The creature's red eyes glowed ever brighter as it raised its head. "I serve, as always. What is your will?"

The shadows swirled. They were nowhere -- they were everywhere.

The winged figure stands. It snaps its head from side to side, watching the ghostly essence flicker in and out of existence around him. The voice echoes forth once more.

"Go to Shady Vale. Destroy it. Do this for me, Malevolence."

It bows his head.

"Your will be done."

Snapping its head upwards, it unfurls its wings. Gazing to the sky, it flies once more, heading southwards. The creatures of the arctic vale prostate themselves at its passing, paying homage to its magnificence.

It flies for blood.

It flies to kill.

Name: Thorkelin Redhiem
Race: Half-Elf
Overview: In one paragraph, give me a high level summary of your character. An example of this is as follows:

Thorkelin, more commonly known as either "bastard brat" or Kel, is a young man who grew up with his human father. Never knowing his true mother, Kel is on a search to discover his elven roots and find out why she had abandoned both him and his father.

Emerald-Forest-Elf-wow-elfe-26134033-548-758.jpg

Following this, answer me these four questions:

The difficulty mostly. However, I really enjoy having players try to mess up my RPs, as well as trying to throw off someone else's rp with my characters having either a lack of common sense (thorkelin) or anger issues!

People who aren't afraid to make long posts. I find it extremely difficult to make long in-depth posts when those around me do not do so.

Ummmm....actually, having been on this site for the most part, I've been on a lot of RPs. Most of them being really good, as such, I don't really have a best experience. As long as the GM has a plan, but is also flexible, then I'm good.

When I sign up for an RP, and I'm all excited, and it finally gets to be my turn to post, and then the bloody thing dies. I hate that. I really hate that.

Finally, I want you to post me a short role play sample in response to the following scenario as you think your character would respond:

"A stranger rides into town on the back of a dark horse. You are going about your daily business when the horse charges up to you. The rider is dismounted. He falls to the floor, an arrow jutting from his shoulders. Under his breath he mutters something about an army of the dead closing from the north, then he passes out."

Thorkelin just stood there, his mouth hanging slightly open. He had watched as the newcomer had approached the town, but he didn't notice the arrow in his back until the warrior fell. With few words spoken, the nameless soldier fell quiet, his strength spent, sleep claiming his mind and body.

Rushing, Kel dropped the sticks he was carrying, and went to the man's side. While the young half blood didn't know the first thing about taking care of wounds, he did know who to go to. Dragging the man by the armpits, Kel slowly, but surely, made his way to the healer's home. Enlisting the help of some follow villagers, the small group eventually made it.

After getting the man situated with the healer, Kel gave the woman a few coppers, coppers that he didn't have to spend. Then, sitting outside the hut, waiting for the man to come to, Kel's thoughts went off into the crevices of his mind. An army of the dead. That was what the man said, and for some reason, it sent shivers of cold dread scurrying down Kel's back.

Ooh, this looks like fun.

iPKahI.jpg

Name: Arlios
Race: Human
Overview: Arlios is the only son of the forester in Shady Vale. He is certain that he was put on the earth to hunt beasties and woo women, and has made it his life's goal to get into a bard's tale doing so. Charismatic and easy going, Arlios is well on his way to achieving it, winning the village's archery competitions year after year, and with it, the hearts of village girls. He is outstanding at his craft, though his smile falters when you ask him about his training. He always talks about leaving, for the thrill of a real adventure, but few know there is a violent threat living in his own home that makes the village somewhere he needs to escape.

It's a fun way to keep up with writing, like interacting in your very own personalised story. It keeps the whole process engaging having to respond to others and improvise your way out of situations you get dropped into.

I look for people who are going to make it a fun experience for me-that usually means long posts, fun dialogue, really good character development, and forward propulsion with the plot. I love watching plots unravel and characters engage in meaningful interactions off the cuff, though obviously planning is often a good call as well haha. I really need people to engage with my character in their posts rather than just yacking on about their own internal dialogue.

It was probably an rp I was involved in on this site a few months back. There were just an assortment of really well rounded characters and talented writers interacting in one rp, and it made the whole thing really fun. There was a clear plot moving forward that the gm was keeping rolling and it made the whole feel really exploratory and edgy. And of course there was the constant danger of character death to keep us motivated haha. I wrote myself the most useless of characters for a murder city and dropped him in and it was a heap of fun keeping him alive in there.

I really dislike being the only person rping who actually actively engages with other people's characters. I've been in a few rps where people have posted really short, factual sort of responses to scenes without doing much or saying much. Also I really hate when someone's character has to be the best at everything, so they won't take a hit in a fight, or always has to have the last word. It all gets a bit boring if no-one ever shows a weakness or cries at another character.

A stranger rides into town on the back of a dark horse. You are going about your daily business when the horse charges up to you. The rider is dismounted. He falls to the floor, an arrow jutting from his shoulders. Under his breath he mutters something about an army of the dead closing from the north, then he passes out.

Arlios had a spring in his step. The reason was absolutely the ruffled and red cheeked young lady he'd just left behind in the back of the herbalist's shop, but he wasn't about to tell anyone about that. He glanced up at the sun as he whistled a merry tune, checking he'd reorganised himself properly. The sun was high up ahead, its warm glow almost too much for Arlios to be wearing his jacket. He grimaced slightly at the time. He probably should have made it out earlier-his father was not going to be pleased if he was late for work, but it was too late to worry about such things now. If he was late, he'd be late, and he'd deal with his father then. His cheery mood dropped slightly, but he shook his head and kept whistling.
His song cut off as a rider on a dark horse charged down the main street of the town. The rider crashed to the ground, the horse whinnying and dancing nervously, it's sides heaving and its coat slick with sweat. Adrenaline shot down through Arlios' legs and he sprang over to the rider's side. He was vaguely aware of murmurs from the other villagers around him, but his attention was fixed on the point of an arrow jutting out from the man's shoulders.
A cold shiver spread through his stomach, and a sharp echo of pain shot through his arm. He skidded to his knees beside the man, pressing his hands to where the arrow was coming out. Arlios had spent enough time in the forest to know how much damage an arrow could do.
"Hey buddy, stay with me, alright?" he murmured, keeping his tone light, his eyes scanning the wound. He lifted off his hand to pull bandages from his belt. It came up bloody. "That's a tired horse you got there-you in a bit of a rush?" He cursed as he realised he left his bag at the herbalist's. He tore off a strip of his sleeve. This needed to be bound and fast. Arlios scanned the horrified crowd until he found a slightly less shocked face. "Carid, go fetch the healer!" The boy started, face pale, but nodded and ran off.
"North..."
Arlios' head snapped down, makeshift bandages in his hand. "What was that buddy?"
The rider's breath was coming in dangerous rattles. It wasn't the first time Arlios had heard that rattle, but it didn't stop a cold panic threaten to take over. But the rest of the foresters were in the forest, where he ought to be, so until the healer got here, Arlios was the best chance this man had. He made himself continue binding it. He knew better than to try and take the arrow out.
The rider grabbed his arm with a grip so tight it shocked Arlios. "Army...of the dead..." Eyes wide with terror, the rider gave another rattle as though trying to say something else. His eyes rolled back into his head, and his grip on Arlios' arm slackened.
Arlios' mouth slipped open, his hands hovering over the bound wound. He didn't recognise the fletching on the arrow. That was all his mind could process. No-one had ever come through Shady Vale with new fletching.
The healer rushed over, the circle of people breaking. She squeezed Arlios' shoulder quickly. "Good lad, Arlios," she said, and Arlios nodded, shuffling backwards. "An army of dead approached from the north," he whispered, barely believing the words he said. He didn't think the healer even heard him. He glanced up at the crowd. The herbalist's daughter was standing there with a hand over her mouth. None of them had heard.
"I need to let the Lord know what's happened," Arlios said, eyes still wide.
The healer nodded vaguely, and Arlios broke out into a run for the Lord's manor. They needed to defend the town.

Aye, I'd like a couple more interests first before we start. Lets see what comes in.

Don't be shy folks, come on in and join the fun. Ideally I'd like at least one more person to kick this off :)

Name: Cassandra Xilstine

Race: Human

Overview: Cassandra is a cheerier girl than her outwards demeanor might portray. An orphan at birth, she was raised by her adopted elven father who developed in her a love of nature and lust for life. She was also trained in the sword, earning the title of the swiftest and strongest blade in the village. Her noble soul always prepares her to help a friend in need, whether it be treating injuries, or treating troubled thoughts with a warm smile.
View attachment 1469

Getting to bounce off other people’s writing styles. You can tell a lot about a person from the way they write and RPing with them helps liven a story up much more than having to of my own characters interact.

A good mix of internal drama and external interaction. While I certainly am intrigued to read of a character’s backstory and inner personal conflict, I also like to see the story take a step forward with each post.

It was about a month into my second RP ever, it was on this site as well. I’d finally gotten the hang of writing longer posts and just enough events had happened to my character to send him into a spiral of different emotions. Being able to describe this whirlwind dramatically, while also advancing the story, while also taking a huge step forward in said character’s development was hugely satisfying for me.

If there’s a large RP with only one thread to post in, the last thing I want is to get buried and left behind in a mountain of posts because players are too impatient to at least ask for permission from me to keep their own side plots going. I’ve left a couple PbP games because of this.

Cassandra was walking home after training in the forest when she saw the stranger on the dark horse. She could already tell something was amiss even before the horse charged up to her. The stranger was thrown from his horse, a crack of wood ringing out as she sees a broken arrow jutting out from his shoulders.

Cassandra wastes no time, calming the horse before running to its rider. “Sir, how bad are your injuries?!” She called out, forgoing asking if he was alright, because she could clearly see that wasn’t the case. His words were soft, muttering, all she could hear was something about an army of the dead. She feared that he may be delusional.

Scooping the man up and over her shoulder, Cassandra quickly made her way to her father’s house. Fenris Xilstine was a healer and would surely have a potion available to heal the poor man.
“Papa!” She cried out as she burst through the door.

“Heavens, Cassandra. What happened?” The older elf questioned as she laid the man down stomach first on their bed.

“He fell off his horse entering the village. Hurry, Papa, I don’t think he has much time left!” She pleaded.

Fenris eyed the man with studious eyes and nodded to her daughter. “See if you can find his horse, dear. I’ll take care of him.”

She nodded and rushed back out again, looking fervently for the horse this man had rode in on. I hope he’ll be ok. She thought as she ran. She made a note to ask him about this army of the dead after he woke up, as she set about the arduous task of retrieving the poor stranger’s horse.

Awesome folks - I'm happy to make a start based on the characters we have. I will keep the thread open for another 1/2 people who might want to join later on.

You may place your characters here: https://www.storytellerscircle.com/threads/the-children-of-shannara-characters.4374/

OOC can be found here: https://www.storytellerscircle.com/threads/the-children-of-shannara-ooc.4375/#post-67850

Game thread can be found here: https://www.storytellerscircle.com/threads/the-children-of-shannara.4376/

I'm happy for you to begin posting if you are comfortable doing so - let me know if any q's :)

Last edited:
Back