The Empty Construct

Walking along the coast of the river, Kae began to undress until he was in his under shirt and boxer shorts, looking at his sister before he dove in. Before he decided to jump in, they had tested the water, finding that it was a lighter and easier to maneuver than their water from the other constructs. Once under the water, he took in a deep breath, opening his gills and letting the air slide through. It was a bit blurry to see through but that was expected with the coloring. Satisfied with what he gathered, he returned to the surface and climbed out, opening his palm once he stood. The silvery water lifted in droplets off his skin and he returned the water to the river. "It's workable." He announced.

Iliana nodded at Kae.

"Good. I don't suppose anyone here is an expert in old, broken technology?" She mused, sighing once more at the weird console. "If not, we might as well keep going."

Iliana turned and marched out of the door, but froze when she heard something. A blood curdling screech filled her ears, and she turned her head to face the source. It was somewhere in the distance. The hairs on Iliana's arms rose, but she shook it off. "I suppose there are creatures on this construct. We'd better move."

Ishum crudely tried to sneak around Iliana and reach the doorway. He was too fixed on his current target to focus on a quiet yelp as he entered the hut slowly. His hands trembled with affection to the console, "My..... God." Were the only words to escape his quivering lips, yet his hands seemed to do all the talking as they massaged the craftsmanship. "You are poetry, you are beautiful." He whispered sweet nothings to the machine as his leather fingertips caressed the tops of the buttons.

"I forgot her name, I think I'll call her... Ayleen. Nah, too plain, how about, Reina, that's uncommon! Oh, it's as uncommon as you are." Ishum muttered, scanning each dent and ding. "If I'm right, then the- No, there's no button there. In fact, this isn't company-made...." He noticed every detail wasn't standard when it came company code. "Let me try something." Ishum pressed three buttons, pushed two levers in their opposite directions, and dialed the number code, [73400596], and bolted back out to the group. Running face-first into the doorway as he exited.

After hearing the shriek, Valen upped his perception to sense any incoming threats, they needed to be careful. Valen followed his fellow fae out the door and waited for the group to assemble that way they could move on and get the expedition truly started.

(been traveling and whoops I am so sorry)

Iliana heard a thud as Ishum smacked into the doorway.

"Did you find anything?" she asked, eyes glued to the horizon. There was something out there, and it didn't sound too friendly. "If not, then-"

She was cut short as the ground trembled beneath their feet, and lines began to form, racing towards a spot just in front of the hut. The shaking intensified, and the the lines widened into cracks which seemed to go down endlessly. Iliana leapt to solid ground, still eyeing the spot where the cracks converged. The trembling stopped for a second.

Something leapt from one of the cracks. A spider-like creature the size of a car. It had a grotesque, contorted face, as though it had been melted in acid. Gleaming fangs hung from the gaping hole that Iliana presumed was its mouth, and a venomous substance coated them. Black liquid oozed from its joints with every movement, and its spindly legs moved swiftly and silently. Iliana took aim and pulled her trigger, but the thing leapt aside. She shot at it again, but it simply dodged her bullet. The creature hissed, venom dripping from its fangs. Iliana let loose, showering it in a hailstorm of bullets. The creature spun round, and its back seemed to absorb each bullet. She froze as spikes burst from every single spot a bullet had hit it. The spider let out a screech, the same blood curdling one from earlier, and threw itself at Iliana, who leapt backwards and opened fire. Her bullets had no effect, however, and the creature was racing towards her. As it jumped on her, Iliana turned and instinctively brought her wings up to shield herself.

When the creature hit her wing, it felt like she was being torn apart. Iliana gritted her teeth and turned to see her wing holding the spider back, pressed up against its belly. But her wing was stretching, as though simply touching the spider was tearing it apart. Groaning, Iliana grasped her gun tightly and whacked the spider with it. It fell backwards and down a crack. Gasping, she turned to the rest of the group.

"That thing...it couldn't be damaged with bullets and, by the looks of it-" she glanced at her wing "-I'm pretty sure it will just absorb anything magical."

The ground trembled once more, and Iliana could only stare in horror as hundreds of spider-like creatures emerged from the cracks in the ground.

"We need to get somewhere solid, now!" she yelled, slinging her gun over her shoulder. "I have a feeling these creatures emerging has something to do with that machine."

Back